[Today at 01:43:12 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Uncle Rico
[Today at 12:47:04 PM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by Badgerhater
[Today at 11:58:05 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 10:43:15 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2025 Bracketology  (Read 783 times)

MarquetteMike1977

• All American
2025 Bracketology
« on: Today at 12:48:07 AM »
Joe Lunardi ESPN has Marquette as a #5 Seed playing #12 seed Princeton in Providence. With the winner playing the winner of # 4 Seed Tennessee versus #13 Seed Vermont in the West San Francisco Region

Shooter McGavin

• All American
Re: 2025 Bracketology
« Reply #1 on: Today at 06:22:33 AM »
Joe Lunardi ESPN has Marquette as a #5 Seed playing #12 seed Princeton in Providence. With the winner playing the winner of # 4 Seed Tennessee versus #13 Seed Vermont in the West San Francisco Region

Ha!

zcg2013

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: Today at 09:00:43 AM »
The Athletic did a college hoops mailbag and I asked about their thoughts on MU's ceiling. Got a response, seems the hoops world (sans field of 68) has a lot of respect for Kam and Shaka, and this veteran roster.

What’s the ceiling for Marquette next year?

"An All-America season for Kam Jones and a top-3 seed in the NCAA Tournament. Shaka Smart has shown that a commitment to development and roster continuity works. Jones proved when Tyler Kolek was out late in the year that he could be the focal point of the offense. Chase Ross has star potential. The loss of Oso Ighodaro is tough to replace on both ends, but Ben Gold made improvements in that Ighodaro role in some of Marquette’s two-man games and his shooting is a real plus. David Joplin will be plenty motivated after a disastrous final game of his season. The roster is still solid. Still old. Good depth. Feels like the floor is high because we’ve seen these guys win together already. — Moore"

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:42:25 AM »
Thanks for sharing that zcg. Great stuff.

I will say that it's probably too early to say that Shaka has proven "that a commitment to development and roster continuity works." Very small sample size so far, and the NIL/Freedom of Movement Era in major college sports is in its infancy.

We'll get a better idea once Shaka is operating with only his own recruits and college sports are a few more years into this experiment.

But as others have pointed out, this will be the final Covid year for athletes, and once that goes, the Shaka system could be even more attractive.

It's all gonna be real interesting to watch unfold. We Are Marquette!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #4 on: Today at 11:02:13 AM »
I mean I’m very bullish on Shaka in all facets, and have come to love his style/system and the way he’s doing things at Marquette.

I also love Kam Jones and his abilities, I’ve been on board with him becoming an all American type of guard since day 1.

However, Marquette is losing an All American pg, the best in the country and the catalyst for everything the squad has done these past few seasons, AND an all BE 5 that is perfect for Shaka’s system and the 1A catalyst for everything that’s been special these past few years.

So, IF that excerpt and the prognostications are accurate, and IF Shaka finds a way to lead Marquette to another top 3/4 seed in this upcoming NCAAt, THEN it seems like there is really nothing to fear going forward.
That would mean to me that, if he sticks around and continues to bring in guys that buy in and have the talent- always big IFs- then Marquette will win a National Championship under Coach Smart at some point.

It would seem impossible to get protected seeds year in and year out and not win one, although I’m certain there are some cases in the past 25 years.
I do think with continued/retained success in this new era it will be easier to break thru because of the turnover that others have, but there’s really no concrete data to that opinion.

I’m usually very glass half full, but this upcoming year, when Shaka loses Tyler and Oso, has always been the “take a step back” year.
If that doesn’t happen, and Marquette gets another protected seed, it really changes how I see the future going.
It would make Marquette a legit National Title contender that’s here to stay in the next decade.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #5 on: Today at 11:09:53 AM »
Mark Few has been getting protected seed for 2 decades and hasn't won a natty.  There is a still a huge range between "exceeds all expectations" and "wins a National Championship".

I'm not saying that Shaka can't, but making the assessment that if he can get a protected next year then he will win a natty is a huge leap imo.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #6 on: Today at 11:10:31 AM »
I mean, they can "take a step back" and still be a protected seed. I'm not sure I'd consider that a bad outcome.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #7 on: Today at 11:15:04 AM »
Great post.  The last paragraph is key.  This year and next are where there will be proof of concept.  Did Shaka get lucky with Kolek and retaining Wojo players?  Could there have been completely different players the first three years with the same success?  That is the lingering question and I hope his coaching and development will be just as much as a reason for the team’s success as any specific players.  At least I hope so. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #8 on: Today at 11:24:16 AM »
Development is more important than retention.  I thought MU would only be active in the portal if there were departures.   That proved accurate.   

However, now the real work begins.   Getting Ben confident.   Getting the unproven length ready for the rigors of the Big East.    Tre and Zaide realizing their potential.    These are not small tasks.

Good luck and get to work.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #9 on: Today at 11:47:59 AM »
Marquette will win a National Championship under Coach Smart at some point.

I edited this for you, Brother Doctor V.

We will and that's all there is to it!

Faith!

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #10 on: Today at 11:48:54 AM »

But as others have pointed out, this will be the final Covid year for athletes, and once that goes, the Shaka system could be even more attractive.

Curious to know the numbers next season for those in their COVID year.  That is a lot of experienced basketball talent that is of known quality and has NIL free agent value.  It is also talent that has been blocking underclassman who may have felt more inclined to move around.

« Last Edit: Today at 11:50:57 AM by Badgerhater »

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #11 on: Today at 01:29:34 PM »
I am of the thinking that a 4, 5 or 6 seed is about right for expectations.  Without any incoming experienced players on the docket, I feel like we have just enough flaws to not achieve what we did the last 2 years.  Another point guard, size and consistent 3-point shooter are areas we could have improved on with a key addition but didn't.  Instead, we are going headfirst with all of our eggs in one basket.  That everyone makes very impactful improvements. 

I am ok with Shaka sticking to his gameplan but slightly adjusted such as to add maybe 1 key player from the portal in any given year.  It will be interesting to see how it works out at the end of the year.  If Xavier and St. Johns or some other Big East teams jump over us in the standings, it will be a disappointment.  Especially considering what we have going into the year.   

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #12 on: Today at 02:12:03 PM »
My bracketology for 2032 is a 4 seed vs Colorado state

feedback