[Today at 08:30:00 AM]

Congrats Tyler by Herman Cain
[Today at 07:56:50 AM]

More conference realignment talk by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 07:43:22 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by cheebs09
[May 12, 2024, 09:16:55 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Comfort level  (Read 7720 times)

pbiflyer

• All American
Re: Comfort level
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2008, 02:28:16 PM »
PRN---I am in complete agreement that a big donor as behind the hire. TC and Doc are tight and had great relationship with a donor to be named later. I think that MU tightened up when donor made his opinion known.

I highly question the knowledge of the game of our biggest sugar daddy. Running a billion dollar business is not the same as Div 1 top tier bball program. Ego drives certain guys. I am afraid this is what happened.

So, just out of curiousity, how do you know that Buzz was Strong's 1st choice? How do you know that Strong/MU AD/Fr. Wild/et. al. did not try very hard to get one of the popularly named coaches out here?

I would think people a bit closer to the program might say that you are waaaaaaaaaaaay off base here.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2008, 02:30:44 PM »
I don't buy that. I know Fr. Wild is not Cottingham, but he admitted to barely knowing Buzz. I doubt also that Cottingham had much exposure to Crean's assistant coaches, especially one that had been here for just a few months.

I just sincerely believe that one of the boosters was behind this hire and Cottingham was almost forced to adhere. There's really no other explanation for taking a chance like this. He is the least qualifed coach Marquette has ever hired by a wide margin.

With The Al, the Big East, three straight NCAA appearances and 4 seniors returning, it

defies all logic that more

experienced and qualifed guys weren't interested. It's flat out impossible.

Here's how it went down. Crean convinced the mega donor(s), aka Dick Strong, that Buzz was the guy MU needed to hire. Impossible to know for sure if Crean really believed this or was fricking us over for his own selfish reasons, but I have my own opinion on that. These are the things that happen when you prostitute yourself for the $$$$.

"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2008, 02:33:46 PM »
4ever, if only we had prostituted ourselves for the money for the Warriors nickname.

THEGYMBAR

« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2008, 02:52:44 PM »
Chico---right on with the Warrior name. I was secretive on Strong name on purpose. At PC MU mentioned everyone involved in the process and never mentioned Strong by name. Everyone knows Dick's involvement in the program.

I did not realize he played college ball. Where did he play? I still question his knowledge of the game today. Yes, he put pressure on TC of late, namely after Georgetown and Stanford losses. But, I still do not think he has finger on the process to the right level.

THEGYMBAR

« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2008, 02:56:31 PM »
Augoman--I do not know many out of Dick's inner circle that would share halftime talks with him. If you are having these talks with him I will change my opinion on his knowledge. He has pretty tight circle around him..you must be former business associate, tennis or golf partner.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2008, 02:58:21 PM »
4ever, if only we had prostituted ourselves for the money for the Warriors nickname.

Now that would have made perfectly good sense.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2008, 03:02:08 PM »
Augoman--I do not know many out of Dick's inner circle that would share halftime talks with him. If you are having these talks with him I will change my opinion on his knowledge. He has pretty tight circle around him..you must be former business associate, tennis or golf partner.

Per this business article, I guess we don't have to worry:

Dick's Strong Suit

Fred W. Frailey
MANAGERS | As a picker of stocks, Dick Strong struggles. His funds stand out because he excels as a PICKER OF PEOPLE
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1318/is_/ai_63668171

wampum77

• Walk-On
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2008, 03:59:23 PM »
Is Strong an MU alum?  I didn't think so?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2008, 04:12:07 PM »
Of course one of the great ironies in this hire is if he does really well, he's going to go back to Texas or the south when an equal type of position opens up.  That's one of the drawbacks of hiring someone in that capacity, but I can live with that one.  I just hope we don't spend 100% of our recruiting focus on Texas and the south, because when the day comes and he does leave the Texas pipeline is gone. 

How could you possibly know that? Certainly anything is possible, but thinking it's a done deal is ridiculous.
Lots and lots of coaches have had long, successful careers far, far away from where they grew up. And while Buzz may have grown up in Texas, he has no apparent strong ties to a particular school with an equal position, i.e. no alma mater to go back to like Bob Huggins, no place he was a former assistant like Bill Self or Roy Williams.
Could he leave someday? Sure, he probably will. Is that a reason to be against this hire? No way.

This reminds me of the post-Deane debate on the old board in which some argued that MU should never hire a young up-and-comer like Tom Crean because he'd be gone at the first opportunity. Indiana hardly was the first opportunity and, contrary to the mostly revisionist history around here, it's been a very good nine years for Marquette basketball.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2008, 04:15:40 PM »

No, he attended UW-Madison

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2008, 04:17:01 PM »
How could you possibly know that? Certainly anything is possible, but thinking it's a done deal is ridiculous.
Lots and lots of coaches have had long, successful careers far, far away from where they grew up. And while Buzz may have grown up in Texas, he has no apparent strong ties to a particular school with an equal position, i.e. no alma mater to go back to like Bob Huggins, no place he was a former assistant like Bill Self or Roy Williams.
Could he leave someday? Sure, he probably will. Is that a reason to be against this hire? No way.

This reminds me of the post-Deane debate on the old board in which some argued that MU should never hire a young up-and-comer like Tom Crean because he'd be gone at the first opportunity. Indiana hardly was the first opportunity and, contrary to the mostly revisionist history around here, it's been a very good nine years for Marquette basketball.

I don't know it....just as no one knows if he'll be a good coach.  But based on the number of people that get to MU as coaches and can't wait to get their ass out of there, well I'll go with the odds....at least the last 30 years.  But it would be rather ironic.

One of the reasons MU hired Crean and this was well known in the department at the time, they wanted a MIDWEST guy because they thought it would finally end the pattern of people running away from the program.  That worked for 9 years.  But Dukiet, Deane and O'Neill were east coast guys so they wanted to break from that. 
« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 04:19:05 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

THEGYMBAR

« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2008, 04:18:43 PM »
Chico---Exactly. Our sugar daddy is a Badger. He is ours by default. Ab Nichols beat him to the punch at UW and he adopted MU. I still question his knowledge. I respect and appreciate his support, but he is a Badger.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2008, 04:20:03 PM »
Chico---Exactly. Our sugar daddy is a Badger. He is ours by default. Ab Nichols beat him to the punch at UW and he adopted MU. I still question his knowledge. I respect and appreciate his support, but he is a Badger.

His money is still green.   ;)   I worry more about our car salesman alum then anything, the one actually mentioned by name in the search.  The one that has Gold all over his hands.  Ugh

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2008, 04:20:41 PM »

No, he attended UW-Madison

Umm...he dropped out of Madison...no?

Richard Strong received a BA from Baldwin-Wallace College and an MBA from Baldwin-Wallace College.

Also, from this article (which is a good read about him):
http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/fortune_archive/2003/11/24/353793/index.htm
He moved to Wisconsin to enroll in the University of Wisconsin law school--which he soon abandoned for the business school. He got fired from every job he had out of business school--"I'm impossible," he conceded to FORTUNE in a 1996 article--and his first attempt at running his own show also ended in failure. He co-founded a firm with Ab Nicholas--who is also now a well-known fund manager--but the firm got hammered during the 1973 bear market. The two men parted enemies and haven't spoken since.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 04:25:52 PM by rocky_warrior »

THEGYMBAR

« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2008, 04:27:20 PM »
Rocky---Great insight. I thought he went to some small school before or after UW. I knew he and Ab parted enemies. DS is an unique guy, but seems difficult.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2008, 04:29:03 PM »
Actually an alum doesn't mean you graduated, at least for most schools.  Dick Cheney didn't graduate from UW-Madison either but is considered an alum.  As is Tom Snyder at MU, though he never graduated.  That being said, he's an alum of the business school at UW-Madison

http://www.usatoday.com/money/perfi/funds/2004-05-21-strong-side_x.htm

« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 04:30:58 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2008, 04:29:21 PM »
Whoops...looks like the first article is incorrect.  He got his BA from Baldwin-Wallace College and an MBA from the University of Wisconsin - at least according to this:

http://www.madison.com/archives/read.php?ref=/tct/2004/05/27/0405270270.php

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2008, 04:32:56 PM »
Rocky---Great insight. I thought he went to some small school before or after UW. I knew he and Ab parted enemies. DS is an unique guy, but seems difficult.

If you read that entire article - it doesn't paint him in very good light at all.  Of course, that was written when the SEC was investigating him. 

Though, I thought this paragraph was interesting - could this be what happened between him and TC?

He also had a habit of becoming infatuated with a new hire and then turning on him or her. "We called it the shiny-new-car thing," says a former aide. "He would make a big splash when he hired someone. He would talk to that person all the time, and he'd insist that everyone listen to his wisdom. But it took very little time before the shine was off. When that happened, you didn't exist in his eyes."
« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 04:36:22 PM by rocky_warrior »

THEGYMBAR

« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2008, 04:44:32 PM »
With all the insight on DS on here, do we think he should be our sugar daddy? I respect the heck out of what he did at his company. College ball is nothing like running a fund. If he is pulling the strings I hope his hook os as quick with a coach as it was with fund managers. He paid a ton to get them but did not hesitate to dump them if they underperformed. He had a very quick hook in business.

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2008, 05:00:02 PM »
Are you kidding me, Pakuni? Do you still not accept the fact that Crean sought the Illinois job and was rejected? That he sought the Ohio St. job and was never considered? That he sought the Virginia job and was rejected?

Other than Little Rock, Arkansas, Indiana WAS the first opportunity!

What is with you people? You're still defending the guy? He's been a complete ass for 9 years, finally proves it to everybody, and you are still acting like you're in love with him.

Some people on this board need a slap in the face to wake themselves from the haze that's settled over them as a result of too much time under a sun lamp.

THEGYMBAR

« Reply #45 on: April 22, 2008, 05:10:35 PM »
PRN---Only reason TC stayed so long was because no one else was dumb enough to pay him what MU did. In that regard his leaving is a great thing. Can you believe another school took that burden away? I would had a bet a billion dollars we were stuck with him for 20y. He wanted out for five years and everyone blew him off. Funny thing is he was excited about getting IU job and he was third pic. Other than being third pic in the bang Angelia Jolie sweepstakes I pass on being #3.

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #46 on: April 22, 2008, 05:16:23 PM »
PRN---Only reason TC stayed so long was because no one else was dumb enough to pay him what MU did. In that regard his leaving is a great thing. Can you believe another school took that burden away? I would had a bet a billion dollars we were stuck with him for 20y. He wanted out for five years and everyone blew him off. Funny thing is he was excited about getting IU job and he was third pic. Other than being third pic in the bang Angelia Jolie sweepstakes I pass on being #3.

I just hope the money we save in salary for Crean and his do-nothing father-in-law leads to a better home schedule next year or at least the start of a home-and-home.

wildbill sb

• Team Captain
« Reply #47 on: April 22, 2008, 05:41:41 PM »

TC was T(hird) C(hoice)?  Who were one and two, please?
“I’m working as hard as I can to get my life and my cash to run out at the same time. If I can just die after lunch Tuesday, everything will be perfect.”  - Doug Sanders, professional golfer

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #48 on: April 22, 2008, 05:43:16 PM »
Tony Bennett was first, that's common knowledge. I don't know who might have been second.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #49 on: April 22, 2008, 06:00:51 PM »
Crean was 2nd choice at IU.

feedback