Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: This season's X-Factor  (Read 3014 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: This season's X-Factor
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2023, 07:04:41 PM »
It is absolutely not overly optimistic to think those 4 can combine to shoot 30%+.

They have done so in the past. By and large their form looks good. They have excellent work ethic and we have good coaches to work with them - think of how much Kolek improved, even during the course of last season.

That Sean stepped up and hit a huge 3 against Bill Walton U and that Gold made two important 3s against Kansas also suggests that they are not awed by the moment.

I'm actually loving that this is our biggest concern, and I think we'll hit a lot of crucial 3s as the season goes on.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2023, 10:54:16 AM »
I love Stevie. He has great energy and is probably the best MU defender since Jerel McNeal. But he should not be shooting 3s. At all.

Sean also should not be shooting many 3s. He should be driving the lane and going up or dishing. That is his strength.

I'm fine with Chase or Gold putting it up a couple times per game if one of them is wide open. But other than that, the leave the 3s to TK, Jam or Jop.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2023, 11:00:29 AM »
They have to shoot 'em. How can you tell a kid to play with confidence and aggressiveness and say don't shoot open threes?

It's tough to be this bad for a whole season. They'll start to fall at a higher clip.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2023, 11:02:54 AM »
They have to shoot 'em. How can you tell a kid to play with confidence and aggressiveness and say don't shoot open threes?

It's tough to be this bad for a whole season. They'll start to fall at a higher clip.

Yep, need to develop as the season goes on.  Other teams will be.  These guys need to keep shooting wide open threes.  Leave the contested ones for Kam, Jop and Tyler if need be. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2023, 11:18:45 AM »
They need to take the right 3s.  Stevie getting a steal in the backcourt and taking a 3 before any other players get down the court?  No thanks.  Stevie in the corner wide open off a drive and kick from Kolek?  Let it fly.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

tower912

• All American
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2023, 11:21:02 AM »
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

Wayne Gretzky
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2023, 11:23:20 AM »
Mitchell  3 for 20   15%
S. Jones 2 for 16.  12%
Gold.     6 for 21.   28%
Ross.     4 for 14.   28%

Total.     15 for 71  21%

The stats do not reflect Mitchell's airballs or the fact he is usually wide open and not a defense player within 6 to 7 feet.  When he shoots the ball, its almost as if he is like "shot putting" the ball or heaving it from his waist area.

The three others have good form and hopefully they start dropping these threes at a much better pace.  I agree that it is an essential factor moving forward.
Neither Mitchell or Jones will be consistent 3 point shooters. That is not their game. Gold and Ross appear to have the potential but must continue to improve
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2023, 11:25:05 AM »
Little to no concern over their three point shooting. A ton of wide open shots against top tier teams, especially on defense. Stevie probably 3-4 games that he shoots it better, no concern with Ross or Gold over the long haul.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2023, 11:29:13 AM »

Wayne Gretzky
100% of 0 3 point shots taken...is 0 misses
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2023, 11:34:58 AM »
So keep shooting.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2023, 11:38:14 AM »

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2023, 12:09:27 PM »

Wayne Gretzky

- Michael Scott

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2023, 12:33:47 PM »
Anyone else notice that Ben has a slight fadeaway when he shoots 3’s? Besides the lack of arc, he also tends to fade which I’m sure is an easy fix. Every time he’s shoots, he’s open, and I want him to keep shooting, but there’s just something a little off that needs to be corrected

It’s almost as if he needs to step into it more
Bring back FFP!!!

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2023, 12:38:31 PM »
Anyone else notice that Ben has a slight fadeaway when he shoots 3’s? Besides the lack of arc, he also tends to fade which I’m sure is an easy fix. Every time he’s shoots, he’s open, and I want him to keep shooting, but there’s just something a little off that needs to be corrected

It’s almost as if he needs to step into it more

Yes, on the slight fade away.  Zaide as well.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2023, 01:08:58 PM »
They need to take the right 3s.  Stevie getting a steal in the backcourt and taking a 3 before any other players get down the court?  No thanks.  Stevie in the corner wide open off a drive and kick from Kolek?  Let it fly.

This. Same with Ross, who has done this a few times too many.

Same with anyone on our roster not named Kam or Joplin (and maybe Kolek now) ... and even then I wince a little unless the shots go in.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2023, 01:29:49 PM »
100% of 0 3 point shots taken...is 0 misses

Personally, I’d ban the 3-point shot
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2023, 03:04:07 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOgp7UyPsHk

Shaka's media availability.     Apparently, he wants his team to continue to shoot open 3's.      So, take it up with him.   

Player's don't hate each other?!?!? That is quite the nut punch.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2023, 03:13:14 PM by tower912 »

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2023, 03:51:00 PM »
Personally, I’d ban the 3-point shot

Midrange America Great Again!

tower912

• All American
« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2023, 04:15:01 PM »
I would ban the dunk, the shot clock, and the 3 pt shot.  Bring back the 4 corners.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2023, 04:15:57 PM »
Ban Freshmen from playing in Varsity games.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2023, 04:16:49 PM »
Apparently, he wants his team to continue to shoot open 3's.

Interesting his statement that MU's three point shots have been, on average, the most open of any team in the country. I wonder how Smith gets that data.

But yes, Shaka made it very clear that he wants our guys to keep taking those open threes. The team is getting the looks that the offense is designed to give them. If you're not going to take those shots, you might as well overhaul the offense.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #46 on: November 30, 2023, 04:18:59 PM »
He always has at MU.  From the first few games where it seemed that was the entire offense.   Fearlessness has been a component all along.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #47 on: November 30, 2023, 05:06:53 PM »
He always has at MU.  From the first few games where it seemed that was the entire offense.   Fearlessness has been a component all along.

If some posters on scoop keep saying otherwise, perhaps Shaka will take their advice some day
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #48 on: November 30, 2023, 05:24:15 PM »

Agreed, and I’d add that where we are in the shot clock makes a difference. Right now I don’t think an open 3 by Stevie or Sean early in the shot clock doesn’t make a lot of sense - it’s very likely we can get a better shot later.

rgoode57

• Starter
« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2023, 08:39:00 AM »
In MU's offense, the player with a wide open 3 is supposed to take the shot. No, Stevie is not supposed to pull up on a transition break and let it fly from the 3 pt line. But, in the half-court offense, he is supposed to take that corner 3 if he is open.