Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Sliding Into Oblivion  (Read 6914 times)

MU NY

• Starter
Sliding Into Oblivion
« on: February 09, 2008, 01:37:05 PM »
This team should never be ranked in the top 25 and from this point on will not be an NCAA qualifier.  Let it in!!!

If not for ND's horrible plays at the end this would have been a ten point blow out.  Once again the team was not in the game the score won't reflect it but they were outplayed.  Amazed to see them figure it out at the end that James should drive to the basket...Elmore said they should have been doing it all game.  This team loves to lose on national television.

Look at the bright side, none of us needs to worry about losing in the first round again this year!

MUFanInGreenBay

• Team Captain
Re: Sliding Into Oblivion
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2008, 01:43:42 PM »
This team should never be ranked in the top 25 and from this point on will not be an NCAA qualifier.  Let it in!!!

If not for ND's horrible plays at the end this would have been a ten point blow out.  Once again the team was not in the game the score won't reflect it but they were outplayed.  Amazed to see them figure it out at the end that James should drive to the basket...Elmore said they should have been doing it all game.  This team loves to lose on national television.

Look at the bright side, none of us needs to worry about losing in the first round again this year!

We will make the tourney. Get outta here with this crap. Some of you people must not watch the ENTIRE game because you could clearly see we were better than ND today, and that we are a tourney team. There's still 7 games to go in conference and we have a good chance to pick-up some more quality wins against G-town, Pitt, and Cuse'.
[/quote]
« Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 02:45:14 PM by mu_hilltopper »

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2008, 01:45:06 PM »

LOL! Yeah, ok! Care to make it interesting?

MU NY

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2008, 01:47:36 PM »
Just lost to a team we destroyed at home...
We do not have the talent down low to beat Gtown, Syr, or Pitt
We have lost our way...see also Villanova
NIT bound.

Final Four or Bust

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2008, 01:50:11 PM »
I said it a few weeks ago -- this team doesn't make the tourney.  All they've done it continue to lose games (some of  them in embarrassing fashion).  Yes, they came back at the end of this one, but a lose is a lose, putting us at 6-5 in the Big East.  

I hope I am wrong, but they haven't shown me they are deserving of the tourney right now.

mviale

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2008, 01:50:54 PM »
that would be premature - MU usually peaks too early and  I think these are good losses.  a 20-10 team from the BE can make the tourney

You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2008, 01:51:06 PM »

Exactly, because everyone knows playing on the road is the same thing. We're better than ND.

I guarandamntee we will win at least 2 of those games.

I think we found teh mad late in this one.

NIT bound.

I'll ask again...care to make it interesting?

nyg

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2008, 01:53:18 PM »
We have had too many "good losses"  We need a "good win". 

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2008, 01:54:14 PM »

We only have 2 good losses. The rest were bad. But we definitely need a good win.

MU NY

• Starter
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2008, 01:57:17 PM »
We are in a race with Villanova to the bottom of the league.
ND lit up the famous Crean defense for more than 80 points.
We are an also ran in this league this year...just took a few weeks of league play to show it.
Bye Bye top 25 ranking.
I hope we can get by St. John's in a couple of weeks.

NIT will be good for us to showcase our home court dominance.

mviale

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2008, 01:58:17 PM »
agreed - we have 2 quality wins - WI and ND.  We will get 2 more.

Not worried

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2008, 01:58:29 PM »
NIT bound.

Though I would wait to say these kind of things until after the St. John's game.

It's frustrating for a fan to watch them struggle like this. But it was my fault for expecting more, I guess.

We are not a horrible team; we are just not playing well. The team's confidence is not good right now.

And playing like this WILL land you in the NIT, where I believe we will be.

Remaining Conference Games:
@Hall
Pitt
@SJU
RU
@Nova
GU
@Cuse

Our record over the remaining season? 3-4
« Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 02:02:09 PM by 77ncaachamps »
SS Marquette

Final Four or Bust

• Starter
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2008, 01:59:15 PM »

I guarandamntee we will win at least 2 of those games.

That is a very bold statement even if we were playing like we were in Maui.  We don't stand a chance against G-Town (not this year, no way), and that mean you think we will win in the Dome against a Syracuse team built very silmilarly to the ones we can't beat.  I think we have a chance against Pitt just because we always play Pitt well.

77ncaachamps

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2008, 02:01:03 PM »
agreed - we have 2 quality wins - WI and ND.  We will get 2 more.

Not worried

Which two?
SS Marquette

MU NY

• Starter
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2008, 02:04:06 PM »
We may beat SH and St. John's but that is about it.   No way we get past the rest.  This team has no leader and is too one dimensional.  NIT will be a lock.  We just don't have the horses.  The team cannot execute what it needs to to win games.

mviale

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2008, 02:04:40 PM »
possibly gtown and pitt - that would clinch it

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2008, 02:05:00 PM »
NIT bound.

Though I would wait to say these kind of things until after the St. John's game.

It's frustrating for a fan to watch them struggle like this. But it was my fault for expecting more, I guess.

We are not a horrible team; we are just not playing well. The team's confidence is not good right now.

And WILL land you in the NIT, where I believe we will be.

@Hall
Pitt
@SJU
RU
@Nova
GU
@Cuse

10-8 and we'll be on the bubble. It will depend on who we beat the rest of the way. Beat Georgetown and 10-8 gets us in.

I can honestly see us losing at Seton Hall. Don't forget how tough they played us at the Bradley Center. I also will almost guarantee a loss at Syracuse.

The Pitt game is probably the biggest game of the year. If we lose to a beatable Pitt team at home, the bottom may drop out and then it's hello NIT.

By the way, I thought we played pretty well today. I do not want to hear anything else about the "Big Three." It is Hayward and James right now. When is the last good game that McNeal played?

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2008, 02:05:54 PM »
WE WILL WIN THE NEXT 5.

MU NY

• Starter
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2008, 02:10:25 PM »
One of SH players is injured...we will be them.
The rest of the way will be an exercise in frustration.  McNeal has not done much in a while.  There is not enough of a threat of others stepping up in his absence so he has become a predictable and defendable player.  He will do fine against St. John's.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2008, 02:12:05 PM »
We will be favored in the next 5.  And we will win 5 of the last 7.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

77ncaachamps

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2008, 02:15:48 PM »
NIT bound.

BrewCity and IAM: Which 5 will we win? Which two will we lose?

And WILL land you in the NIT, where I believe we will be.

@Hall
Pitt
@SJU
RU
@Nova
GU
@Cuse

10-8 and we'll be on the bubble. It will depend on who we beat the rest of the way. Beat Georgetown and 10-8 gets us in.

I can honestly see us losing at Seton Hall. Don't forget how tough they played us at the Bradley Center. I also will almost guarantee a loss at Syracuse.

The Pitt game is probably the biggest game of the year. If we lose to a beatable Pitt team at home, the bottom may drop out and then it's hello NIT.

By the way, I thought we played pretty well today. I do not want to hear anything else about the "Big Three." It is Hayward and James right now. When is the last good game that McNeal played?

PRN, I predicted a 10-8 finish because I knew at the beginning of the year we didn't have the big men to score and board. But I didn't imagine we'd be this bad.

You're right about DJ and Lazar. Though I would maintain Lazar has been the most consistent player thus far. McNeal's been erratic and Wes has stepped up in games but in others (early on) really make you wonder where was he.

I also agree that Pitt is the biggest game because they are the most beatable and tough opponent, and we have them at home. The Georgetown game is considered a loss and if MU loses that's expected. A win would be a redeeming game for the whole season, and it would take a loss to FGCU to reverse the importance of that win.

SH played us close @ Home and I would think that would be the reason that a loss would be possible. But they did lose @ home to ND by a HUGE margin. However, the other reason why I think a loss is possible is that they put together a string of 5 wins before two losses to the top BE teams. We're not a top BE team so we're ripe for an "upset" - though we're very close in BE standings.

SJU will be TOUGH to beat in MSG. They always are...except when playing the big guys.

Rutgers may be a win.

Nova's going to be a tough place to win.

Cuse? Fuggedaboutit.
SS Marquette

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2008, 02:26:36 PM »
BrewCity and IAM: Which 5 will we win? Which two will we lose?

WE WILL WIN THE NEXT 5.

Not sure how much clearer I can be. And yes, I really do believe we will win the next 5.

MU NY

• Starter
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2008, 02:36:53 PM »
not possible...wheels are off...last one to finish their Kool Aid, please turn off the lights. 

mviale

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2008, 02:56:51 PM »
Hope to see you again when the weather looks good for the team

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2008, 03:12:15 PM »
NIT bound.

Yeah, we just lost to a team that won their 34th straight home game.  Talk about over reacting on your part...Jesus

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2008, 03:23:18 PM »

We only have 2 good losses. The rest were bad. But we definitely need a good win.

We have no bad losses, as far as the NCAA is concerned.  ZERO.

This is where you guys keep missing it.  ZERO losses against 101+ teams...NADA.   Someone said earlier it will take 11-7 to get it...total BS.  The only way it takes 11-7 is if you have a bunch of bad losses, MU has none of those.

10-8 will get you in.  If MU loses at Seton Hall next week, then it's time to get very worried, until then...tons of over reaction.  We have 5 Big East losses, against Louisville twice (picked to win the conference), at Notre Dame (2nd place), at UCONN (3rd place) and at WVU.  We have 4 games coming up against the bottom half of the conference and three against the top half (two are home).

This idea that 10-8 is on the bubble is damn funny.  Please, yes...someone bring up Syracuse....well if you're going to do that look at their THREE bad losses last year.  Again, MU has NONE!  10-8 gets you in.

I think MU wins the next 5 games.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 03:26:48 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2008, 03:24:32 PM »
We may beat SH and St. John's but that is about it.   No way we get past the rest.  This team has no leader and is too one dimensional.  NIT will be a lock.  We just don't have the horses.  The team cannot execute what it needs to to win games.

Want to take bets on that....lots of people here talking a lot of smack...put your money where your mouth is.  You say 2 more Big East wins.....I want that bet right now.

Game?  Or are you just going to talk smack and not back it up?

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2008, 03:25:37 PM »
If not for ND's horrible plays at the end this would have been a ten point blow out.   

um... since when is 10 points a blow out?

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2008, 03:26:04 PM »
Woe is us. our team is terrible, we will not win again this year.  ::)

give me a break. we lost by 3 to a team w/ a 34 home winning streak. We have 2, at times 3 players that are playing well any given night which doesn't make it easy to win.. The passion we showed towards the end of this game and the execution we had down the stretch tells me this team can win down the stretch. DJ and Lazar are the focal points now with Matthews being the number 3 man on offense in my mind. Jerel is playing terribly and was only really valuable with the late steals he had today.  I understand this team is not playing as well as it can. Normally during a season you'll have some slumps that each player gets into, they just normally don't all happen at the same time. One player can't win a game and when we have been shooting as poorly as we have been in previous weeks, it's expected we lose.  Today we shot much better but we were on the road in a very difficult area to win in for some reason unknown to myself.

This team really isn't as pathetic as some of you are making it out to be but the actions of people on this board are just insane at times.  and to think some of you actually consider yourselves fans. today was not a bad loss...both L'ville games and at Uconn were bad losses. We may just right this ship at the end of the season, finish strong and make some noise in the BE tourney and get a couple wins in the NCAA's...you don't know anything that will happen over the next month+ except that we will play at least 10 more games (including at least one in the BET and at least one other post season game)

Let's back this team and stop whining like a bunch of UK fans.

and thanks to Chicos for calling out some of these people.  I feel the same way.

NateDoggMarq

• Starter
I cant wait for that 10 seed in the tourney
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2008, 03:28:04 PM »
Against either.  Florida, Kentucky, Vandy, USC, Ohio State,  ::)

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2008, 03:37:09 PM »

Chicos - you're right, in terms of RPI, we have 0 bad losses. I was referring more to the way we lost/margin of defeat.

farmdaddy

• Starter
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2008, 11:55:57 PM »
I just talked to an Illini fan and as much as he ribbed me for losing to ND( and as much as I bitched about being a terrible team) he said he would gladly have the Illini where we are now.

mviale

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2008, 12:01:25 AM »
Not sure which planet some of these MU fans came from - did they expect final four this year? Every year, I hope for NCAAs and if we are lucky sweet 16.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2008, 12:03:40 AM by mviale »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2008, 12:06:19 AM »
No bet takers....figures.  Of course I think 2 or 3 of them are Badger trolls and they're probably wondering why they have their thumb up their ass right now.

I can't see UW-Madison any better than the 6-5 we are right now with the schedule we have played....oh how I wish we were in the Big Ten this year.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2008, 01:16:07 AM »
Amazed to see them figure it out at the end that James should drive to the basket...

This actually reminds me of the Cracked Sidewalks post suggesting Crean sit down for awhile during games.  When there really wasn't time left for Crean to do anything but call for the press and hope, thus letting the players go out there and play, the team, in particular James, responded. 

I think 10-8 would put us on the bubble and force us to win 2 in the BE tourney.  10-9 is a trip to the NIT, and 11-9 would be asking for the bubble.  Just remember what the selection committee thought of the Big East last year.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2008, 01:29:26 AM »
Amazed to see them figure it out at the end that James should drive to the basket...

This actually reminds me of the Cracked Sidewalks post suggesting Crean sit down for awhile during games.  When there really wasn't time left for Crean to do anything but call for the press and hope, thus letting the players go out there and play, the team, in particular James, responded. 

I think 10-8 would put us on the bubble and force us to win 2 in the BE tourney.  10-9 is a trip to the NIT, and 11-9 would be asking for the bubble.  Just remember what the selection committee thought of the Big East last year.

The Big East last year was 6th in the RPI...it's been 3 or 4 all year long this year.

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2008, 09:18:03 AM »

Incorrect.  We have zero bad losses. 

West Virginia is the worst of the bunch, and they're a top 50 team (41st in the RPI).

UL and UConn are top 25 in the RPI and in no way considered bad.  ND is 26th.

Duke is 2nd.

No bad losses.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2008, 09:27:10 AM »
we need a good win...our entire resume is @ UW

"I'll press when I wanna press & I know more than Jim McIlvaine" Tom Crean...America's # 1Taekwondo Coach
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2008, 12:59:20 PM »
No bet takers....figures. 

Just for the record, if anybody did take your bet, and put money on the line - we'd remove the posts because you're not allowed to bet here - period.

State laws vary greatly on "Social Gambling", and since our fanbase crosses many states, and the server is held in another, we can't take the chance of being a facilitator.

So...for those that feel the need to call out trash talkers with bets - please don't do it here.  At least, not publicly...
« Last Edit: February 10, 2008, 01:05:13 PM by rocky_warrior »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2008, 01:10:07 PM »
we need a good win...our entire resume is @ UW

"I'll press when I wanna press & I know more than Jim McIlvaine" Tom Crean...America's # 1Taekwondo Coach

Shouldn't you put something in " " when it's actually said

As for our entire resume being @ UW.  Hardly.  They look at top 50, top 100 for good wins.  Losses outside top 100 as bad

Top 100 wins
Notre Dame
@ UW
IUPUI
Providence
Seton Hall
Cincinnati

5 games remaining against top 100 teams
« Last Edit: February 10, 2008, 01:14:19 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2008, 02:51:55 PM »

Incorrect.  We have zero bad losses. 

West Virginia is the worst of the bunch, and they're a top 50 team (41st in the RPI).

UL and UConn are top 25 in the RPI and in no way considered bad.  ND is 26th.

Duke is 2nd.

No bad losses.

Chicos - you're right, in terms of RPI, we have 0 bad losses. I was referring more to the way we lost/margin of defeat.

'84 - Chicos beat you to it.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2008, 04:59:11 PM »
Seton Hall Tuesday and Pitt Friday. Let us see where we stand after that.

IAmMarquette

• All American
Not to toot my own horn, but....
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2008, 08:00:48 PM »

MarquetteDano

• All American
Nice call
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2008, 08:12:28 PM »
WE WILL WIN THE NEXT 5.

BEEP BEEP!  ;D

Great call on winning the next five.  I remember when this first posted.  I thought at the time we would go 3-2, maybe 4-1, never 5-0.

I like to think of myself between a kool-aid drinker and a negativo.  The negativos were going nuts when we were 6-5 in conference play.  Way overboard.  Now let's NOT drink too much kool aid now eh?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2008, 08:14:38 PM »
It's fun reading that entire thread

Buzz Williams' Spillproof Chiclets Cup

• All American
  • Formerly known as notkirkcameron
    • Yellow Chair Sports
« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2008, 08:18:58 PM »
This thread is fun to read too.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=6206.0

ATWizjr and muPARTY, I'm looking in your direction.

So much for "high expectations" and "dreaming is free."
Worst case scenario: my pick of us going 12-6 in conference when we were 6-5 will be one game off.

;D
« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 08:20:32 PM by notkirkcameron »
“These guys in this locker room are all warriors -- every one of them. We ought to change our name back from the Golden Eagles because Warriors are what we really are." ~Wesley Matthews

romey

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 25, 2008, 08:20:12 PM »
Where's MU NY????  He started this whole thread..

MUFanInGreenBay

• Team Captain
« Reply #47 on: February 25, 2008, 08:22:58 PM »
He's enjoying his delicious bowl of crow on a bench in Central Park.

shaquilvaine

• Starter
« Reply #48 on: February 25, 2008, 08:29:26 PM »
Quick... close the door to the bandwagon.  We don't want to let MU NY back on.   :D

romey

• All American
« Reply #49 on: February 25, 2008, 08:36:38 PM »
just a thought, but if it's a band WAGON, then don't you mean "close the gate?"

Just sayin'

77ncaachamps

• All American
« Reply #50 on: February 25, 2008, 08:47:15 PM »
I, too, thought we'd stumble but it seems like we've solved our offense woes and now know how to use Barro more effectively.

Let's ride this wave as FAR as we can.

But, I think we NEED these "anti-jinx" threads because they seem to be working!!!  ;D
SS Marquette

feedback