Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Otule  (Read 16583 times)

spartan3186

• All American
Otule
« on: November 16, 2007, 02:16:55 PM »
Ready 2 Fly posted this in a different thread but I though it probably deserved its own thread...

Otules first game

16 points.... 12 rebounds.... 10 blocks

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
Re: Otule
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2007, 02:21:43 PM »
Considering he only posted season averages of 5.0 points, 7.5 rebounds and 1.5 blocks per game as a junior, this is GREAT news.

All reports indicate he has great talent, and just had to get used to his new body, and a different position.  Crean said he made up his mind on a offer after only watching 10 or 15 min of him - and I think it's easy to see why.  He was under-recruited because of his growth spurt, but I think he may end being a top 25 recruit by the end of this year.

4thAndState

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2007, 02:24:51 PM »
It will be interesting to see what type of competition he did that on and wether he can sustain throughout the season. But . . . for someone who averaged 5 ppg last year as a junior, this is very positive. Chris truly fits the definition of a late bloomer. I am very pleased with the recruiting class: we've filled needs 1 - 5 (when you factor in TM as a 4). From where we were at 6:20 p.m. on Oct. 18 (when Shumpert picked GT) to where we are today . . . well, that seems like a bad dream that MU moved quickly by.

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2007, 02:59:33 PM »
From where we were at 6:20 p.m. on Oct. 18 (when Shumpert picked GT) to where we are today . . . well, that seems like a bad dream that MU moved quickly by.

That was a record day for MUScoop... the most users online ever!  311 folks online for that decision!  Amazing!! 
"The Lord is a Warrior" - Exodus 15:3

Ready2Fly

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2007, 03:12:32 PM »
Oops, I inflated it by 2 boards. 

But I was really pumped to see that stat line.  I think Otule is a diamond in the rough who will no longer be "in the rough" by the end of his senior year. 

Freshman year I expect him to battle Burke for the starting role immediately, and by the end of his tunure he'll rival RJax for the title of the best center during the Crean era.

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2007, 03:42:00 PM »
FWIW Otule's team smoked Lamar Consolidated by 22 pts. (68-46)  Chris was the second leading scorer with 16.  I don't know how big Lamar's players were but I think they play in a smaller division than Otule's team.

And Erik Williams is noted as a top district player for his team. (which is heavily favored to do well this year)  Sounds very promising...

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/hso/5293741.html

MU Chi_IL

• Team Captain
  • Marquette is Solid Gold!
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2007, 04:00:15 PM »
I took a look at last years draft prospects and here are the people with similar body types to Otule.  If the reports of his measurements and athleticism are correct, I think he his going to be a great player with a few years of coaching and training. 

similar body types to otule
6-10    Mohamed Abukar    Florida, San Diego State United States    Forward Senior    229
6-10    Luksa Andric    Cibona Zagreb    Croatia    Forward    International Draft Eligible    240
6-10    Craig Bradshaw    Winthrop    New Zealand    Center    Senior    240
6-10    Jermareo Davidson    Alabama    United States    Forward    Senior    230
6-10    Lamont Hamilton    St. John’s    United States    Forward    Senior    255
6-10    Herbert Hill    Providence    United States    Forward/Center    Senior    240
6-10    Al Horford    Florida    United States    Forward/Center    Junior    245
6-10    Marko Lekic    KK Nis Vojvodina (Serbia & Montenegro)    Serbia & Montenegro    Forward/Center    International Early Entry    240
6-10    Josh McRoberts    Duke    United States    Forward    Sophomore    240
6-10    Ivan Radenovic    Arizona    Serbia    Forward    Senior    244
6-10    Milovan Rakovic    Mega Ishrana (Serbia)    Sebia    Forward    International Draft Eligible    
6-10    Sean Williams    Boston College    United States    Forward/Center    Junior    235

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2007, 07:24:27 PM »
I know MU wanted Shumpert...but do you think that it was known for a long time that Otule was going to be their next signee whether or not Shumpert was going to sign with MU?

Sometimes I wonder how much interest is "smokescreen" or genuine.
SS Marquette

bma725

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2007, 10:07:36 PM »
Otule or is it O'Tule, had 18 points today in his team's 79-40 win.  No stats available yet on rebounds or blocks.

http://www.chron.com/sports/highschoolsports/results.html?site=default&tpl=Boxscore&Sport=6&ID=6825&TeamID=774&SearchType=Teams

And fwiw, MU alum and daughter of former Packers coach Mike Sherman is apparently working for the Houston Chronicle and writing a blog.

http://www.chron.com/commons/persona.html?plckPersonaPage=PersonaBlog&plckUserId=sherman13&newspaperUserId=sherman13

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2007, 03:39:25 PM »
At 6'10" and against blow out competition, I would expect him to score 25 points/game----he's probably lining up agaimst guys 4-5 inches smaller than he is-----different story in DIv 1-----I remember Chris Grimm scoring 20+ a game against smaller dudes----different game at #5 in Div 1.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2007, 03:52:02 PM »
Murff,  y'all know they grow them big down there in Texas!   :D

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2007, 06:09:23 PM »
a triple double with block? thats eric hicks style. I'll never forget that cincy game in january of 2006, erick hicks got the triple double in points, rebs, and blocks, absolutely owned, what a man-child.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2007, 06:22:47 PM »
At 6'10" and against blow out competition, I would expect him to score 25 points/game----he's probably lining up agaimst guys 4-5 inches smaller than he is-----different story in DIv 1-----I remember Chris Grimm scoring 20+ a game against smaller dudes----different game at #5 in Div 1.

Don't you think you might want a little more information before making that kind of a statement, i.e. how many shots did he take, how many minutes did he play, how often he was given the ball in the post, etc.?
Think those might have factored into the equation?

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2007, 08:02:28 PM »

Texas is completely different, in my eyes in every sport Texas has the best recruits every year, their high school teams, whether big or small, is a lot better then the teams up here, or whatever teams Grimm played
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

hoops12

• Starter
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2007, 09:43:23 PM »
How anyone can claim a player should score 25 points per game without ever seeing him, or his competition is absolutely dumb...stupid...and is TRYING to diminish the fact that this young man has a great deal of potential.

I watched Brian Butch play in the FVA his senior year. In each of the six game I saw him play (I actually watched the game, then I drew conclusions) he was going against guys that were 6-9 inches smaller than he. Fond du Lac actually had a 6'2" player guard him, and Neenah used a 6'1" player. Butch averaged 22 points a game and he was rated TOP 10 and a McDonalds All American.

Anyone that makes claims like this is an absolute tool, or should I say OTULE! :D

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2007, 10:39:34 PM »
nice try, good effort but it's pronounced 'Otulay'

Doctor V

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2007, 02:11:27 AM »
i believe what murph is trying to say, although not in eloquent fashion, is that although nice a players hs #s dont necessarily mean much. Case in point, look above at butch and grimm. butch was a mcdonalds kid, grimm was prob one of the higher recruited big guys MU has had.

HOWEVER, dont underestimate the fact that this kid doesnt have big shoes to fill at MU. Many athletes would dream to be in a position where they come in with staff, folks, and Lord dreaming for some solid inside play

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2007, 08:11:17 AM »
i believe what murph is trying to say, although not in eloquent fashion, is that although nice a players hs #s dont necessarily mean much. Case in point, look above at butch and grimm. butch was a mcdonalds kid, grimm was prob one of the higher recruited big guys MU has had.

HOWEVER, dont underestimate the fact that this kid doesnt have big shoes to fill at MU. Many athletes would dream to be in a position where they come in with staff, folks, and Lord dreaming for some solid inside play

It has taken Butch 3 years but it finally looks like Butch has elevated his game.  The fact of the matter is that Murf could have stated that those stats might not tell the whole story but where some called at them with excitement, he felt compelled to basically say the kid sucked because he didnt score 25 points without any real knowledge of what happened in the game.  I personally will reserve my optimism until I hear that he is one of the better bigs in Texas from numerous sources but his stats are much improved from last year which is a good thing.

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2007, 08:13:20 AM »
mudi et al------Here he's playing against a team that they blowout by 25-----a triple double doesn't mean much when you have a Goliath lining up against a David without a sling shot. Before we get excited, let's see how he does against the better teams in his area!
« Last Edit: November 18, 2007, 08:17:12 AM by Murffieus »

Tulsa Warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2007, 11:04:54 AM »
Oh hell Murf, lets get excited now.  I can deal with the disappointment if it comes.  ;D

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2007, 11:55:21 AM »
mudi et al------Here he's playing against a team that they blowout by 25-----a triple double doesn't mean much when you have a Goliath lining up against a David without a sling shot. Before we get excited, let's see how he does against the better teams in his area!

Whenever I see something like this from Murff, I have to question how much he really knows about Otule's opponents.  He's already determined that these aren't the better opponents on the schedule.

My assumption is that he doesn't have a clue as to the quality of either Lamar Consolidated or Stratford.  He's looked at the scores and made the blind assumption that those teams aren't any good--rather than give credit to Bush for being a great team.

Fortunately, the Houson Chronicle does a good job projecting the playoff contenders in each conference in the area.  In other words, somebody has already identtified the "better" teams in the area.

And whad to we find but both of the teams that Otule played so far are picked as playoff teams in their conferences!
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/hso/5293741.html

Stratford is a playoff favorite in District 19-5A
Lamar Consolidated is a playoff favorite in District 24-4A

Bush is a dark horse in District 23-5A

Now, I don't know the difference in overall quality between 23-5A and 19-5A or 24-4A.  But I do know that it provides enough to require a bit more research before concluding that the Bush/Lamar or Bush/Stratford scores are simply due to poor competition. 

It may well be that Bush is a special team with a fast-rising start that beat some pretty good (playoff bound) opponents.

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2007, 02:03:20 PM »
SJS/84----I think it's fair to say that a team OTule's team beats by 25 points is not one of the better teams on their schedule!

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2007, 03:37:55 PM »
SJS/84----I think it's fair to say that a team OTule's team beats by 25 points is not one of the better teams on their schedule!

Well there is a circular argument if I've ever seen one.  OTule sucks because he didn't get a 25pts/game against a team that sucks because OTule's team beat them by 25.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2007, 06:10:54 PM »
My point is that a 6' 10" guy with BE recruitment credentials and lining up against guys 6'5 or 6'6" (average height of a HS center) should get 25 ppg by default----and at least half of those on putbacks!
« Last Edit: November 18, 2007, 06:19:06 PM by Murffieus »

ilovefreeway

« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2007, 09:04:28 PM »
My point is that a 6' 10" guy with BE recruitment credentials and lining up against guys 6'5 or 6'6" (average height of a HS center) should get 25 ppg by default----and at least half of those on putbacks!

Unless the other team is running triple teams at the big guy or otherwise running their defense to combat the big that they don't have.