'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Mark Lyons  (Read 9108 times)

GoMarquette32

• Team Captain
Mark Lyons
« on: April 23, 2012, 08:34:01 PM »
Xavier player transferring. Great player. Could play right away because he is graduating. Better scorer than lockett. Get on it buzz!

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Mark Lyons
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 08:35:16 PM »
I'd rather have Lockett. Lyons is a thug.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

injuryBug

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 08:36:06 PM »
after watching his post game interview after the cincy fight not a big fan of his

GoMarquette32

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 08:36:18 PM »
I want the bettter player which is lyons..

SoCalwarrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 08:38:42 PM »
I want the better team player.

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 08:42:31 PM »

Don't want him.
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

GoMarquette32

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 08:42:47 PM »
We dont need another team player next year. We need a proven stud.

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 08:44:11 PM »
Appears likely to go to Zona.  He was recruited by Miller and didn't see eye to eye with the coach who replaced Miller at X.

Knight Commission

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2012, 08:44:58 PM »
Pass...

Knight Commission

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2012, 08:45:50 PM »
Appears likely to go to Zona.  He was recruited by Miller and didn't see eye to eye with the coach who replaced Miller at X.

No way Miller does that to Mack. That is wishful thinking on Lyons part.

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2012, 08:47:54 PM »
Buzz doesn't need any thugs to babysit.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2012, 08:53:51 PM »
^^^ he already has his, according to Badger fans

Lyons has been trouble so he is a no go.

But this makes Xavier a player for prospects since #1 scorer Tu and #2 scorer Lyons AND Frease are gone. Lots of PT at XU.
SS Marquette

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2012, 08:56:36 PM »
RODNEY HOOD.  PREVIOUSLY MENTIONED-- HE'S A THUG. MY VIEW ALSO

GoMarquette32

• Team Captain
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2012, 08:58:09 PM »
So if we dont get lockett, do you see philip nolan signing late? Nolan would make next years roster incredibly balanced.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2012, 09:16:37 PM »
I want the better team player.

I want the guy who slaps five on cue.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

QuetteHoops

• Starter
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2012, 09:41:20 PM »
So if we dont get lockett, do you see philip nolan signing late? Nolan would make next years roster incredibly balanced.

Nolan reclassified to 2013.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2012, 10:06:21 PM »

I would rather lose 3-4 more games and have a team I'm proud of than add a player like Lyons that I honestly would have trouble cheering for. Especially after Ron Artest last night. I don't want guys like that here. I would rather leave the scholarship empty than bring in Mark Lyons.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2012, 10:31:43 PM »
I would rather lose 3-4 more games and have a team I'm proud of than add a player like Lyons that I honestly would have trouble cheering for. Especially after Ron Artest last night. I don't want guys like that here. I would rather leave the scholarship empty than bring in Mark Lyons.

What does Ron Artest elbowing some guy have to do with Mark Lyons? I don't know if he's a bad kid or not - I'm guessing you don't either.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2012, 10:57:44 PM »
What does Ron Artest elbowing some guy have to do with Mark Lyons? I don't know if he's a bad kid or not - I'm guessing you don't either.

Considering what he and Crybaby Tu Halloway did in the Xavier vs. Cincinnati game, and especially what they said after the game, I think it's fair to say they would not be the ideal person that you would want as part of the face of your University. Especially when we're apparently going to be kicking 8 of our players off of our team just for not drinking in a night club.

Having said that, I have no idea what Meta Worldpeace has to do with Mark Lyons.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2012, 10:58:32 PM »

His character was revealed after the Brawl. Really don't want him anywhere near our program.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2012, 11:08:14 PM »
Grind Together, Shine Together is played out.  We need MU "Zip 'Em" t-shirts.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2012, 11:11:48 PM »
His character was revealed after the Brawl. Really don't want him anywhere near our program.

No doubt he comported himself badly at the press conference after the Cincy game. If that's who Mark Lyons is I don't want him either, but I remember thinking while watching-what kind of moron must Chris Mack be to let his players get in front of a camera immediately after the brawl? Cronin had the sense to keep his players off limits to the press as nerves were still raw and tempers hot.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2012, 09:50:00 AM »
Kentucky, Kansas and Arizona are his finalists apparently. 

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2012, 11:47:11 AM »
Kentucky, Kansas and Arizona are his finalists apparently. 

Right, we don't need a thug.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Warriors10

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2012, 12:09:00 PM »
What are you guys talking about?  We already have 11 thugs on the team.  Why not 1 more to make it an even dozen?

Stupid JS.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2012, 12:15:24 PM »
4ever

+1

Hardly going to rule kid out for life for a stupid decision he made. I like how Kentucky, Kansas and AZ think about opportunities like this.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2012, 12:38:15 PM »
4ever

+1

Hardly going to rule kid out for life for a stupid decision he made. I like how Kentucky, Kansas and AZ think about opportunities like this.

I think 4ever is being ironic.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2012, 12:50:59 PM »
Thanks Sultan...think I got that.

MarsupialMadness

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2012, 12:51:11 PM »
I thought we weren't supposed to talk about player brawls on this site?  

Shut it down.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2012, 12:52:15 PM »
4ever

+1

Yo Goose,
Based on what you uncovered about Buzz and the Administration, do you really think that Buzz bringing in Lyons could end well?  I'm thinking if Buzz could get him in, he could be the catalyst for an irreparable rift between Buzz and the Administration.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2012, 12:54:17 PM »

I'd like to know why he's transferring before I get all moon eyed.

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

MarsupialMadness

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2012, 12:55:24 PM »
I'd like to know why he's transferring before I get all moon eyed.

From ESPN:

"After our end-of-the-season meeting with Mark, it became apparent that a change for both parties was the right thing moving forward," Mack said in a statement. "During our meeting, expectations were outlined for his fifth and final season, areas in which I believe needed improvement.

"Mark did not recognize these expectations as being important, and ultimately it was decided that a change of scenery would be in his best interest. I wish Mark well."

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/7846780/xavier-musketeers-announce-mark-lyons-return-school

I agree, doesn't sound like a guy we want on our team.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2012, 12:56:39 PM »
Murs

No crap...but I want guys that can play. Understand why we would not go after him but hope we do not get soft on who we can and cannot go after.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2012, 01:05:49 PM »
Murs

No crap...but I want guys that can play. Understand why we would not go after him but hope we do not get soft on who we can and cannot go after.

Amen.  The next year should answer some questions in that regard.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2012, 01:57:24 PM »
From ESPN:

"After our end-of-the-season meeting with Mark, it became apparent that a change for both parties was the right thing moving forward," Mack said in a statement. "During our meeting, expectations were outlined for his fifth and final season, areas in which I believe needed improvement.

"Mark did not recognize these expectations as being important, and ultimately it was decided that a change of scenery would be in his best interest. I wish Mark well."

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/7846780/xavier-musketeers-announce-mark-lyons-return-school

I agree, doesn't sound like a guy we want on our team.

Pass.  Pretty obviously not the type of player we need/want on the team.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2012, 02:06:16 PM »

Debatable.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Dreadman24

• Team Captain
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2012, 02:23:20 PM »
I'd rather have Lockett. Lyons is a thug.

Wow. Thug? Really?

Goose

• All American
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2012, 02:30:08 PM »
I personally do not think our guys are thugs and if outsiders read certain press releases they could draw same conclusion many have on Lyons. I would trust Buzz's opinion over anyone reading a press release. These are kids that sometimes make stupid mistakes. Someone will likely benefit from his addition to program.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2012, 04:40:04 PM »
I personally do not think our guys are thugs and if outsiders read certain press releases they could draw same conclusion many have on Lyons. I would trust Buzz's opinion over anyone reading a press release. These are kids that sometimes make stupid mistakes. Someone will likely benefit from his addition to program.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPXaoAZhbqg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxnA69ekobI&feature=related

You would be OK with this guy representing our university?  The person who started one of the worst brawls in United States sports history?  And justifies it?  One who cannot respect his coach enough to say "If you think I need to work on this I will work on it," but instead says "F you I'm out?"  Pass.

To compare the Xavier vs. Cincinnati brawl, a national, very public embarrassment, to 6 players being ticketed for not drinking in a bar is a joke.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2012, 04:46:43 PM »
Wades
Did you hear that one of our players was involved in an alledged assault last season was widely reported in Chicago Trib? Did you hear there were behind the scenes action in regards to the alleged assault?
My point simply was things that happen in house normally look different to outsiders. In addition, I said we probably should take pass on kid. Half the posters on here throw stones at every mishap kids have elsewhere and do not think others do the same about our mishaps. Believe it or not last years deal was a big deal and if you do not have all the facts could look pretty ugly to outsider.

By the way the brawl you refer to is minor league in comparison to MU/South Carolina fight. No comparison between the two. The brawl this year was made ugly by idiotic presser that never should have happened.

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2012, 05:01:48 PM »

By the way the brawl you refer to is minor league in comparison to MU/South Carolina fight. No comparison between the two.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1085704/index.htm

"the game had grown extremely physical, until three minutes into the second half the muscling got out of hand. As Marquette's Bob Lackey and the Gamecocks' Tom Riker struggled for the ball, the guns went off. Lackey elbowed Riker in the neck; Riker flashed a left cross on Lackey's side-whiskers. Within moments several brawls had broken out—one featuring Chones against heavyweight Danny Traylor. "Let's stay out of this," Traylor said to Chones. "Can't do it," said Chones. "My man's in trouble." Then Chones opened a nasty cut under Traylor's eye.

Frank McGuire was in the middle of the floor, bodies whizzing past him, but Al McGuire remained on his bench with his reserve players. "A waltz," he was to say later. "A bar-hall bouncer wouldn't take his coat off for this one."

After a good three minutes of heavy punching on both sides, order was restored; immediately a hefty South Carolina state trooper charged the Marquette bench and went after Lackey. The Warriors' Larry McNeill grabbed a chair, but he and everybody else were finally restrained. Lackey and Riker were removed from the contest.

"The dude sucker-punched me," said Lackey. "Then they throw me out. If I'm leavin', I want some action."

Goose

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2012, 05:16:44 PM »
Warthog
The best part of those moments are based off just how much ahead of th curve Al was and MU did nor realize it until we were way ahead of the curve. Outsiders hated us because we were the crazy team with a lot of black players from different backgrounds and the crazy uniforms. Back then I was cool to be different. I look at Toone or Artie or O Lee and if those guys were potential transfers to MU today many would be afraid of them.
I never want MU to take 100% proven bad kids but I am also not going to make decisions off a media report. Don't you think things have gone too far away from what made MU great? I trust our coach to recruit kids he can relate to and coach and if the kid has checkered past I trust our coaches decision. In today's world no coach with a brain would take a troubled kid because of liability of losing job. If Kansas wants a kid not sure we are in position to say no.

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2012, 05:18:42 PM »
No way do we take a Sam Worthen today. And it's MU's loss.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2012, 05:25:37 PM »
Goose, everything you point out is why I would take Lockett over Lyons. We have had enough black eyes on the program that adding another guy who doesn't seem to want to put the requisite work in and comports himself like a gangster is the last thing we need. He may be a fine kid, but our reputation has taken enough hits that adding a kid that seems to be a walking bad press release is the last thing we need.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #44 on: April 24, 2012, 05:29:01 PM »
Warthog
I believe the Worthen statement to be true and doesn't that handcuff our coach? I really two believe we should be a place to give a kid a chance. Over the years we had some questionable characters but little to no problems. I really admired Al, Hank and Rick for not taking the easiest way out. All you have to do is look at Hank's funeral and see the lives he and the school touched. MU was special because we took in outcasts.

Funny thing is to me the vagabond teams of today all havea little Al in them to me. From Huggins style of player to Coach Cal beating the system all has a little bit of old MU in it to me. I really loved the fact that other schools really hated us..really hated us. One difference with Al was though everyone in the know respected him.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #45 on: April 24, 2012, 05:31:29 PM »
Brew
I mean my statements more in general terms and not specifically to Lyons. Just hope the feel good line about a kid does not go too far. That said, if Buzz thought Lyons was his guy...sign me up for the program.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2012, 06:31:33 PM »
Warthog
I believe the Worthen statement to be true and doesn't that handcuff our coach? I really two believe we should be a place to give a kid a chance. Over the years we had some questionable characters but little to no problems. I really admired Al, Hank and Rick for not taking the easiest way out. All you have to do is look at Hank's funeral and see the lives he and the school touched. MU was special because we took in outcasts.

Funny thing is to me the vagabond teams of today all havea little Al in them to me. From Huggins style of player to Coach Cal beating the system all has a little bit of old MU in it to me. I really loved the fact that other schools really hated us..really hated us. One difference with Al was though everyone in the know respected him.

Actually, as Al says in the SI article, he wanted to piss off the opposing team's fans because he wanted them concentrating on giving him a hard time rather than his players.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #47 on: April 26, 2012, 06:45:27 PM »
Like a little thuggish ruggish bone on my team.   

Welcome to Marquette Mr. Lyons!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/1LJk0euiSaI&amp;feature=related" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/1LJk0euiSaI&amp;feature=related</a>

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #48 on: April 26, 2012, 10:39:49 PM »
Like a little thuggish ruggish bone on my team.   

Welcome to Marquette Mr. Lyons!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/1LJk0euiSaI&amp;feature=related" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/1LJk0euiSaI&amp;feature=related</a>

Spanish O'Donnell's make these guys look like hairy wet cats!

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #49 on: April 27, 2012, 06:00:52 AM »
Spanish O'Donnell's make these guys look like hairy wet cats!

Oh man...I can see them getting giddy now, a rap remake called "The Lyons DOESN'T Sleep Tonight!"

They could do the video in Humphrey and go in and out of all the bedrooms showing Lyons not sleeping...it'd be sweet.  8-)

Goose

• All American
« Reply #50 on: April 27, 2012, 08:20:48 AM »
Little Murs,
Agreed that Al liked the heat but there was plenty to go around and many hated both Al and MU. It was a great role to have, especially because all the haters deep down were jealous of MU.