'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

Do you say "We" when talking about MU hoops?

Yes - We can win it all!
127 (83.6%)
No - They can win it all!
25 (16.4%)

Total Members Voted: 151

Author Topic: Do you say "We" when talking MU hoops?  (Read 7394 times)

MUEng92

• All American
Re: Do you say "We" when talking MU hoops?
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2011, 12:14:39 PM »
This topic has always brought out the grumpy old (well, middle-aged) man in me.  I have never been a member of the MU basketball team, and never received a paycheck from the Green Bay Packers or Chicago Cubs, so I do not refer to any of these teams as "we", even though I spend what many might consider an unhealthy amount of time following each of them.  I have to admit, it bugs me hearing fans using "we".

I think it stems from my pure contempt for fair weather fans in general.  When ever I hear, "we" I almost assume the person has just started following the given team.  For example, sitting at a high school football game the night of the Brewers won the NLDS, there was a group of adult Brewer "fans" sitting behind me.  The male of the group was giving updates from his smart phone, while one of the women of the group was saying, "oh, I have been excited all day for the Brewer game, I hope we win...".  When the guy informs the group that the Brewers had gone to extra innings and then they had a walk-off hit, the "we" woman says, so how many more outs do they have?  If you don't even know the terminology of a sport, you are not allowed to use "we".

If I know someone has been a fan their whole life, I reluctantly give them a pass in my mind.

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2011, 12:21:04 PM »
When somebody says, "we" I don't want to be associated with them.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2011, 01:06:57 PM »
When referring to my high school or MU, it's we.  However, that's during a game ("we need a stop" or "we need a hoop").  Otherwise, I'm squarely in the camp of those who say, I'm not on the team so it's not "we".  When it comes to pro sports, it's NEVER "we". 
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2011, 01:19:41 PM »
When referring to my high school or MU, it's we.  However, that's during a game ("we need a stop" or "we need a hoop").  Otherwise, I'm squarely in the camp of those who say, I'm not on the team so it's not "we".  When it comes to pro sports, it's NEVER "we". 

Not only does the team need a stop/hoop, but that fans do as well to help with the pysches and their enjoyment of the game. That's a fair use of "we" in my book!

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2011, 01:48:58 PM »
I don't understand why people get mad about people saying 'we', 'pin number', 'shuttle pass' or 'I could care less.

English has been a living language.  People have been 'murdering' it for thousands of years. 

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2011, 01:50:10 PM »
When people refer to the pro teams they root for as "we" I think it's fair to ask them what position they play. I'll give an exemption for a high school or college team if you're an alum who lives and dies with them. For those with multiple alma maters, pick one - polygamy is still illegal.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2011, 02:29:33 PM »

Now if you're a shareholder/owner of the Packers (or any pro franchise I suppose), I think it's technically correct to use "we" in the same way that a Ted Thompson or Mike McCarthy-type would... but then, since Packer stock is strictly a novelty (unless you're one of the original shareholders), common sense in what may be technically correct is cast aside since the shareholder's effective "ownership" of the team is no greater than someone who attended UW-Parkside claiming they have "ownership" in Buckytown just because the first two letters of their schools match.  (Sort of similar to how Missouri wants to be a part of Marquette by repeatedly calling themselves MU despite the fact that we own the mu.edu domain, haha.)

However, didn't Crean spout off about "taking ownership" in this team circa 2004?

This is a thread that might never end.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2011, 02:35:47 PM »
This is a thread that might never end.

You're either on the team or you're not. It seems pretty clear to me.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2011, 02:40:39 PM »
You're either on the team or you're not. It seems pretty clear to me.

then i am.

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2011, 02:46:47 PM »
then i am.

Let the record state that MUBurrow is either a player or coach. All I needed to know.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2011, 02:57:45 PM »
boom. where all my inside information comes from. I'm on the iphone during water breaks.

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2011, 03:06:11 PM »
Pet peeve of mine when people say we.  I know that I say it but I try not to. "We" don't play for the team. with marquette it's a bit different because "we" went to the school, so I think it bothers me more when people do it when referring to pro-teams. Either way I try not to say it

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2011, 03:22:24 PM »
Pet peeve of mine when people say we.  I know that I say it but I try not to. "We" don't play for the team. with marquette it's a bit different because "we" went to the school, so I think it bothers me more when people do it when referring to pro-teams. Either way I try not to say it

I helped fund that team... so I think we can say we. :)

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2011, 03:27:10 PM »
I helped fund that team... so I think we can say we. :)

Same goes for anyone that has ever purchased a ticket to a game. Still think it is a stretch. Does that mean you also fund other programs via revenue sharing by watching games on tv?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2011, 04:02:27 PM »
Same goes for anyone that has ever purchased a ticket to a game. Still think it is a stretch. Does that mean you also fund other programs via revenue sharing by watching games on tv?

Fair point.  I'd say my contribution was more direct, though. 

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2011, 04:34:24 PM »

Are you serious man? You don't have the right?

I'll go out on a limb and say you aren't going to be sued over calling MU "We".

Go ahead and give yourself permission to say "We"....its ok...really it is.

As for me.....sometimes I say We and sometimes I don't.....I didn't go to MU but am a season ticket holder and a long time fan.

Ok, so what about someone like me, that didn't attend MU, but am just a season ticket holder"w?? I don't feel like that gives me the right to use "We".

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2011, 04:49:15 PM »
We're either on the team or we're not. It seems pretty clear to us.

Oh wait...

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2011, 05:56:56 PM »
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 06:40:22 PM by buckchuckler »

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #43 on: October 31, 2011, 05:59:10 PM »
Ugh, oh well.  A good funny take on it. 

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #44 on: October 31, 2011, 06:22:12 PM »
I like to think I'm not that unbearable about it, but I guess I just don't get how you can be nervously watching a game with your best mu fans, be on the edge of your seat all game, then towards the end of the game look over and say "They really need a stop."

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #45 on: October 31, 2011, 06:33:11 PM »
It never bothers me when it comes to college sports and people's affiliations, but when its a ridiculously tenuous connection to the school or a pro team, it bothers the hell out of me.  A roommate of mine in college, who grew up in Cincinnati, was a huge Eagles fan because he liked Donovan McNabb and was also an obnoxious Florida football and basketball fan because, wait for it, his uncle taught there for 2 years when my roommate was a 13-14.  And between those 3 teams, he uses "we" more than all my friends and their respective schools combined, and it annoys me to no end.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #46 on: October 31, 2011, 06:33:22 PM »

Pet peeve is when people complain that I say "we" when talking about my sports teams - pro, college or high school.

I think this subject comes down to this.  If you say "we" you don't care if someone says "we", "they", "them" or "those".  If you don't say "we", you come unglued and get on your soap box constantly complaining about the use of "we".

flash

• Team Captain
« Reply #47 on: October 31, 2011, 06:46:35 PM »
Because I am currently a student at Marquette I use "We" when talking about Marquette basketball.  However If I am talking about my favorite professional team I don't use "We" I will use "They".  I feel like because I am very affiliated with Marquette it is okay if i say "we". Also  I'm not on of those people who are bothered when fans say "we", ...who cares?

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #48 on: October 31, 2011, 08:58:04 PM »
Z F-B prefers the 3rd person.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #49 on: November 01, 2011, 05:08:55 AM »
Z F-B prefers the 3rd person.

You and Murf are like two peas in a pod.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"