Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

Do you say "We" when talking about MU hoops?

Yes - We can win it all!
127 (83.6%)
No - They can win it all!
25 (16.4%)

Total Members Voted: 151

Author Topic: Do you say "We" when talking MU hoops?  (Read 7395 times)

dw3dw3dw3

• All American
Do you say "We" when talking MU hoops?
« on: October 30, 2011, 10:01:22 AM »
As an alum, donor, or fan do you say WE when talking about the team?

This was a topic on ESPN radio a couple weeks ago, looking for consensus in the MU community.

I'm not talking about saying "We" as fans need to cheer louder, but more "We" need a stop here, "We" need a top 5 big man, "We" need to play harder...etc....

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
Re: Do you say "We" when talking MU hoops?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2011, 11:15:36 AM »
I say "She"

• You are madly in love with her
  • You crave her outward and inward beauty. She is the only one you sees the same in you.
  • But, over time, her minor flaws start to gnaw at you and she nags at you to no end
  • About once a month, just when you think you have her figured out, you are taken on an emotional rollercoaster you cannot rationally comprehend
  • Often times, she makes you want to take a car ride by yourself in quiet desperation, just to settle down
  • When out with the boys, you complain endlessly about her
  • Others remind you that you are lucky to have her, which makes you appreciate her more
  • She is always interesting, always there when you need her, and fills you with a joy that you have never felt before
  • If she is out visiting, you will go to all lengths just to see or hear her
  • She is gorgeous, stunning, and sleek at times
  • Other times, she is wearing sweat pants, has bed hair, and has a bad headache
  • At closing time, it is either heaven's gate or the brickwall
  • You miss her when she is gone
  • She costs a lot of money
  • She is well worth it
  • She puts up with you
  • She is always there
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 11:18:19 AM by Dr. Blackheart »

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2011, 11:56:49 AM »
I say we. I figure I went to the same school these guys went to, I donate to the program, I'm doing what I can to monitor the team year-round, and I represent the school and team as much and as often as I can.

Besides...I just can't wrap my head around the idea of chanting "They Are...Marquette!"
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2011, 12:51:54 PM »
I say we. I figure I went to the same school these guys went to, I donate to the program, I'm doing what I can to monitor the team year-round, and I represent the school and team as much and as often as I can.

Besides...I just can't wrap my head around the idea of chanting "They Are...Marquette!"
+100%.  As a grad, season-ticket-holder, and donor, how can I not say we.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2011, 01:02:48 PM »

Of course it is "We!" Like Brew, I'm a grad from 1978 and began supporting the team in the 1960s as a youngster who travelled to road games with my Dad.

I've been a Packers fan since the Lombardi days and growing up where I did, I also am a Cardinals fan. I felt nice when both were world champions this year. But nothing, and I mean nothing, raises the pride and passion in me the way Marquette basketball does. Heck, my college sweetheart found out I was addicted in 1977 when I took her to dinner at 5:30 p.n., so I could make the Arena in time for tipoff despite a heavy snowstorm. We've been married 31 years and she's put up with what she calls a "flaw."

So I am a "we."

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2011, 01:14:48 PM »
Of course it is "We!" Like Brew, I'm a grad from 1978 and began supporting the team in the 1960s as a youngster who travelled to road games with my Dad.

I've been a Packers fan since the Lombardi days and growing up where I did, I also am a Cardinals fan. I felt nice when both were world champions this year. But nothing, and I mean nothing, raises the pride and passion in me the way Marquette basketball does. Heck, my college sweetheart found out I was addicted in 1977 when I took her to dinner at 5:30 p.n., so I could make the Arena in time for tipoff despite a heavy snowstorm. We've been married 31 years and she's put up with what she calls a "flaw."So I am a "we."[/color]
  My wife of 28 years says the same thing.  They just don't understand... ;)

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2011, 01:26:38 PM »
If the team is doing well, it's "we".

If they aren't, it's "they".       ;)
Have some patience, FFS.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2011, 01:40:05 PM »
I try not to, but sometimes, when typing too fast or too angrily, I do refer to the MU mens basketball team as 'we'.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2011, 02:39:44 PM »
+100%.  As a grad, season-ticket-holder, and donor, how can I not say we.

Because you aren't on the team?? I am a season ticket holder as well, and I am very conscious of not saying "we" in reference to the team. I don't play for them, I cheer loud as hell and am as intense fan as you will find, but I still don't feel like that warrants a "we".
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

radome

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2011, 02:43:00 PM »
We are Marquette!

muguru

• All American
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2011, 02:57:03 PM »
We are Marquette!

Right, but we are NOT the basketball team. And that's what we are talking about here.

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2011, 03:33:03 PM »
Right, but we are NOT the basketball team. And that's what we are talking about here.

I understand that for a pro team, but I think it's completely different for a college or high school team. When I was in high school, I ran cross country. So because I was on that team and not the football team, would it have been inappropriate for me to say "we" when talking about that team? I think that's ridiculous.

As an alum or student, you are an extension of the school. The sports teams are also made up of students (and past teams of alums) and those teams are an extension of the school as well. We have (or have had) classes with these people, share elevators, and our patronage makes what they do possible.

Without players, we don't have a team. But without donors, we also don't have a team. Just because I'm not on the court doesn't make the relationship between the two any less of a we.

Eye

• All American
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2011, 03:45:38 PM »
I HATE it when people in this part of the world refer to their Brewer, Packer and Rodent fandom as we. Need to be consistent with myself when talking about MU. The one area I think it is arguable is with college sports if you attended the university, but everyone around here is a we when talking about the Rodents, even though none of them attended.
GO WARRIORS!

muguru

• All American
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2011, 03:52:43 PM »
I understand that for a pro team, but I think it's completely different for a college or high school team. When I was in high school, I ran cross country. So because I was on that team and not the football team, would it have been inappropriate for me to say "we" when talking about that team? I think that's ridiculous.

As an alum or student, you are an extension of the school. The sports teams are also made up of students (and past teams of alums) and those teams are an extension of the school as well. We have (or have had) classes with these people, share elevators, and our patronage makes what they do possible.

Without players, we don't have a team. But without donors, we also don't have a team. Just because I'm not on the court doesn't make the relationship between the two any less of a we.

Ok, so what about someone like me, that didn't attend MU, but am just a season ticket holder?? I don't feel like that gives me the right to use "we".

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2011, 03:52:51 PM »
Because you aren't on the team?? I am a season ticket holder as well, and I am very conscious of not saying "we" in reference to the team. I don't play for them, I cheer loud as hell and am as intense fan as you will find, but I still don't feel like that warrants a "we".
My dad took me to games in te late 50s and I was a frosh at MU in Al's first year at MU and I went to any Friday and Saturday nite practices at the OldGym and am a long-time season ticket holder, I was at the Omni in Atlanta for MU's NCAA championship, and have been thru thick and thin thru the years.  It all warrants a "W"....... ;)

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2011, 04:07:51 PM »
Ok, so what about someone like me, that didn't attend MU, but am just a season ticket holder?? I don't feel like that gives me the right to use "we".

I guess it's your call on that. I think if you support the Blue & Gold Fund or boost in other ways, that's a fair reason. If it's just a season ticket-holder, I can see feeling differently. I know I'll continue to say "we", and I feel like a "we".

Either way, without us, the STH's, the boosters, and the student body, there is no them.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2011, 05:00:07 PM »
Marquette is the only time I use "we."
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2011, 05:02:04 PM »
I use "we" with all my favorite teams. I don't think anyone will ever confuse me for a college/professional athlete, so I don't feel like I'm taking credit for anyone else's work.

NCAARules

• Starter
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2011, 05:16:55 PM »
For me, I try to stay consistent with "they".

Though I admit, in conversation with other MU fans, if they use "we" I'll slip into it.

But ultimately for me, the team, its coaches, staff and student athletes deserve the credit for success, (and sometimes the blame for failures). I find it a lot easier to praise and critique if I maintain that distinction.

((I'm now praying that a review of my posting history reveals that my self-perception is valid)).

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2011, 10:12:11 AM »
I'm not on the team so I say, "they."

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2011, 10:29:49 AM »
I know there's a distinction here that has something to do with direct objects, dangling participles, infinitives, or those other 7th grade English terms that none of us except English majors remember.  But since we're not being technical, this is how I think I'd explain it...

1. When referring to the MU basketball team as part of the institution, the use of "we" is appropriate if you are a stakeholder of the institution (student, alum, donor, employee, etc.)
-"I think we are going to have a good team this year."

2. When referring to the MU basketball team in general, the use of "we" is colloquially acceptable by a stakeholder especially in a discussion amongst non-stakeholders.
-"Listen you Johnnie hotshot, you might think God's Gift is God's gift to Steve Lavin, but we are going to pummel you on January 11th."

3. When referring to specifics relating to the MU basketball team, the use of "we" is incorrect unless you are actually a member of the team.
-"If we shoot 60% [as a team] from the floor, I'd be happy."

With that all said... saying "who do we play next weekend" seems appropriate, but according to #3 it wouldn't be.  This is why I hated English class... common sense had no place in that room.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2011, 10:40:43 AM »
Benny, your # 3 is technically correct for written formal English, but for spoke or colloquial usage, I would stil use "We".... :)       As in "we" shot 60%.  Hard to call my alma mammy "they".

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2011, 11:01:03 AM »
In regard to recent headlines in the Trib do you say, "we" allegedly sexually assaulted a female student?

Desert_warrior

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2011, 11:24:14 AM »
I believe this is an element in psychology. Fans of a particular group want to feel like they are a part of the group so they use "we" in describing the achievements to make themselves seem closer to the group. Unfortunately, we tend to distance ourselves when things go badly. Next time you are following a team that you love (like MU), see how many times you say "we" when referring to good things. How many times do you say "they" when things go bad?

As in, "We played great in that win!" vs "They really lost their composure out there."

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2011, 11:34:32 AM »
In regard to recent headlines in the Trib do you say, "we" allegedly sexually assaulted a female student?

Ha!

I'm on board with you, Shoe. Since I have no effect on the outcome of Marquette games, it would be ridiculous (IMO) for me to say that "we" won or lost.

I also don't refer to my high school's current football and basketball teams as "we" despite the fact that I was once a member of those teams. I consider that a significantly closer to connection to a team than being only an alum and a fan.