Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Nate Silver weighs in on how badly Coach Cal blew it. 80%+ chance to win  (Read 9199 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks

Tugg Speedman

• All American
So he's the Pete Caroll of College Basketball.

wadesworld

• All American
Superbar
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GGGG

• All American
Superbar

This is beyond annoying.  Report the post to the moderator. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
So he's the Pete Caroll of College Basketball.

Pete is actually a good coach.  Cal, not in that category.  I don't fault Cal, actually like him ok as a person.  Does a lot of things behind the scenes for people. Not his fault that he has taken advantage of the rules, but he isn't a tactician.  He's a salesman, but in college hoops that is a major part of the job...it's literally part of the job description. 

bilsu

• All American
Cal blew it even before the game started. In the pre game interviews Bo talked about how his team watched game film and went over the other teams game. Cal said they did not watch any film and just worked on how they play. Basically, Cal believed they would win on talent alone. Kentucky was so used to getting offfensive rebounds and was not prepared to compete with a team that was excellant at blocking out on rebounds. They were out rebounded 15-10 in the first half. There are a lot of coaches in the country that would of taken that team to 40-0, but Cal is not one of them.

Lennys Tap

• All American
I don't fault Cal, actually like him ok as a person.  Does a lot of things behind the scenes for people.

Yeah, Cal does a lot behind the scenes for people - like getting a guy to take Derrick Rose's ACTs for him. He's nothing if not a stand up guy.

LAZER

• All American
So Cal isn't a good coach now? Wow, tough crowd here.

jesmu84

• All American
I thought the choice of running a 1-4 offense with Harrison playing one-on-one against Dekker was absolutely stupid.

brandx

This is beyond annoying.  Report the post to the moderator. 

I think the UW win hit him harder than most ;D

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks

I think he cost himself the title against Kansas a few years ago taking the air out of the ball.  His team struggled all night last night, finally got the lead and up by 4 points he did the same thing.   I give Wisconsin a ton of credit, but UK did not play smart down the stretch offensively.

brandx

Too much talk of how many NBA players on the floor for UK. They only had 5 cuz them's the rules. And UW had three, maybe four so the talent difference wasn't that great.

And NONE of the UW guys were freshman.

WarriorFan

• All American
This is what I've been saying all along.  Cal is not a good game or strategy coach.  Never has been.  In an even game against Bo or Coach K or Izzo with 2 minutes left, he'll lose more than he wins. 

Great recruiter, great salesman, great bender of the rules.. but just not a quality game coach.

Nothing new here.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

mattyv1908

• All American
This is what I've been saying all along.  Cal is not a good game or strategy coach.  Never has been.  In an even game against Bo or Coach K or Izzo with 2 minutes left, he'll lose more than he wins. 

Great recruiter, great salesman, great bender of the rules.. but just not a quality game coach.

Nothing new here.

I think it's a tad more complicated than that.  Cal hasn't seen NCAAT losses that even come close to the Lehigh and Mercer first round exits like K has had recently.

If anything, this year's team probably didn't see enough close late game situations.  It's hard to teach young talent how to win in crunch time when the majority of the games are over by halftime.  Their average margin of victory over their 38 wins was by 20 points.  Notre Dame was a great team this year and Wisconsin is even a better team.

It's dismissive of what UW accomplished to chalk the loss up to poor coaching by Cal.
Shut this board down at the opening tip.  If they win, open it back up.  If they lose, keep it shut it down until the next morning.  - Sultan of Slurpery

eg021

• Scholarship Player
Towns was starting to establish himself on the low block and they let Harrison go one on one multiple possessions.

Jahlil starts doing work on the block and Quinn cook starts jacking shots I'm going to throw my beer at the TV tonight.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks

It's dismissive of what UW accomplished to chalk the loss up to poor coaching by Cal.

They have had a great run, nothing cheap about it at all.  Used to drive me crazy some of UW-madison's runs were due to broken brackets, but that isn't the case here.

That being said, UK finally grabbed the lead and had some control, but they really crapped the bed in the last few minutes taking the air out.  That was poor coaching by Cal.  Is what it is.

GGGG

• All American
If UW wins, they would have faced the highest seed possible every step of the way.  Not sure if that has ever happened before since seeding began.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
I read earlier that their seed total would be 32, the lowest ever since expanding to 64 teams in 1985. NC has the current best at 33.

muwarrior69

• All American
Cal blew it even before the game started. In the pre game interviews Bo talked about how his team watched game film and went over the other teams game. Cal said they did not watch any film and just worked on how they play. Basically, Cal believed they would win on talent alone. Kentucky was so used to getting offfensive rebounds and was not prepared to compete with a team that was excellant at blocking out on rebounds. They were out rebounded 15-10 in the first half. There are a lot of coaches in the country that would of taken that team to 40-0, but Cal is not one of them.

I read that too and am really surprised. The really didn't take it to Notre Dame and you would have thought that was a wake up call.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
My question would be whether Cal's title winning team watched any game film. While I would certainly think you'd want to scout your opponent, if you've won titles by focusing on your game, I could see trying to avoid distraction.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

wadesworld

• All American
I think the UW win hit him harder than most ;D

Nah.  Just typically only really read Hanging at the Al and then specific Superbar topics.  When you go into Hanging at the Al and maybe 5 total threads on the entire first page could even remotely have anything to do with Marquette basketball it's even more annoying than seeing someone point that fact out in all those threads.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

feedback