[Today at 11:28:28 AM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Its DJOver
[Today at 10:43:07 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[May 09, 2024, 04:40:58 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 09, 2024, 02:42:00 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Is Wisconsin America's Sports Capital?  (Read 3305 times)

dgies9156

• All American
Is Wisconsin America's Sports Capital?
« on: July 03, 2021, 11:22:43 PM »
Let's see now:

1) The Milwaukee Bucks are in the NBA Finals and are a decent shot to win it all.
  2) The Milwaukee Brewers almost have lapped the field in the NL Central and look like they may be a power in MLB.
  3) The Green Bay Packers, if they can reconcile with Aaron Rodgers, are decent shots for the Super Bowl.

Has Wisconsin every had it this good -- apart from 1977?

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
Re: Is Wisconsin America's Sports Capital?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2021, 11:39:16 PM »
Let's see now:

1) The Milwaukee Bucks are in the NBA Finals and are a decent shot to win it all.
  2) The Milwaukee Brewers almost have lapped the field in the NL Central and look like they may be a power in MLB.
  3) The Green Bay Packers, if they can reconcile with Aaron Rodgers, are decent shots for the Super Bowl.

It’s been a good 3 years. Now we just need to get a couple flags.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2021, 12:00:29 AM »
I'd slow my roll on that till there's a few championships. In most millennials lifetimes Illinois team have won 6 BBall titles, 3 Stanley cups and one more finals appearance, and each baseball team has a World Series.

In Massachusetts they've had 4 recent World Series, recent NBA championship, recent Stanley cup and recent appearance.

Oh there's also the fact that Tampa bay won the super bowl, Stanley cup and won the pennant in the past year but that's just a city so relative to Wisconsin it'd be Florida so add the heat championships Orlando finals appearance, Marlins win etc
« Last Edit: July 04, 2021, 12:03:49 AM by Galway Eagle »
Maigh Eo for Sam

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2021, 12:57:07 AM »
Let's see now:

If being close to winning a title and only two world titles since 1971 makes the entire state the sports capital of the US  then what is Tampa with 3 (after tomorrow) world championships in a year? Or Boston with all of their titles. California? Wisconsin isn’t even the sports capital of the Midwest.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2021, 07:31:16 AM »
Billy and Galway- pretty certain OP means at this very moment in time, which is probably correct.  He’s not drawing any historical conclusions. 

🏀

• All American
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2021, 08:14:19 AM »
Billy and Galway- pretty certain OP means at this very moment in time, which is probably correct.  He’s not drawing any historical conclusions. 

Does Wisconsin beat Tampa Bay right now though?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2021, 08:16:34 AM »
No NHL or MLS team is pretty much disqualifying, IMO.

If you're  just basing it on recent successes, one could make a much better case for Tampa ... reigning Super Bowl champs, reigning (and soon-to-be repeat) Stanley Cup champs and reigning AL champions.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2021, 08:27:28 AM »
Los Angeles Dodgers and Lakers anyone?

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2021, 08:39:26 AM »
No NHL or MLS team is pretty much disqualifying, IMO.

What's MLS?

Exactly.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2021, 08:41:50 AM »

Have to agree.  Not far off though.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2021, 08:52:51 AM »
WI is certainly having a nice run, that's for sure.  I do hope we are able to turn some of these individual MVPs into team trophies however.  First shot in the next 2 weeks.

Oh, and not to delve into the negative but I wonder what ARodg thinks these days as absolutely nobody is paying him any attention.  Me thinks he misread the typical Sconnie sports fan.  Newsflash brother; it's the uniform not the multi-millionaire in it.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2021, 09:13:38 AM »
WI is certainly having a nice run, that's for sure.  I do hope we are able to turn some of these individual MVPs into team trophies however.  First shot in the next 2 weeks.

Oh, and not to delve into the negative but I wonder what ARodg thinks these days as absolutely nobody is paying him any attention.  Me thinks he misread the typical Sconnie sports fan.  Newsflash brother; it's the uniform not the multi-millionaire in it.

It is nice attention is sapped away from him for now.  But training camp is just around the corner, with only the Brewers going on by that time in WI to compete with his crap. 

Hope he gets embarrassed on Tuesday. 

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2021, 09:53:02 AM »
It is nice attention is sapped away from him for now.  But training camp is just around the corner, with only the Brewers going on by that time in WI to compete with his crap. 

Hope he gets embarrassed on Tuesday.

What happens Tuesday? (See, paying zero attention.)

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2021, 09:57:26 AM »
What happens Tuesday? (See, paying zero attention.)

Playing in The Duel with Bryson against Brady/Mickelson. The Bryson/Rodgers pairing has had a rough few months.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2021, 09:59:36 AM »
Playing in The Duel with Bryson against Brady/Mickelson. The Bryson/Rodgers pairing has had a rough few months.

Oh yeah.  HA! Absolutely nobody in Wisconsin will be watching.  Hilarious.   ;D

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2021, 11:33:17 AM »

Not even close.

MLB: both in playoffs if the season ended today. Rays defending AL champs.
NFL: Packers maybe if Rogers comes back. Bucs defending Super Bowl champs….beating the Pack in the playoffs.
NBA/NHL: Bucks could win title. Lightning about to win second consecutive title.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

MU82

• All American
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2021, 11:50:03 AM »
On the one hand, the OP's headline was if Wisconsin is America's Sports Capital.

Obviously it isn't. As many have pointed out, Florida has had it better just in the last year's time with the Bucs, Lightning, Rays and Heat.

But on the other hand, there's the question the OP asked to conclude his post -- "Has Wisconsin every (sic) had it this good -- apart from 1977?"

Maybe when the Bucks and Marquette were two of the nation's dominant basketball teams in the early '70s? Maybe in the early '80s, when Milwaukee had the Lanier/Moncrief/Bridgeman/Buckner Bucks and the pennant-winning Brewers, as well as an entertaining Lynn Dickey-led Packers team and an NCAA tourney Marquette team? Maybe in the aughts when the Packers were annual contenders at the same time both major college basketball programs were NCAA regulars under Bo and Crean/Buzz?

I think if I were a fan of Wisconsin sports (above and beyond Marquette), I'd probably agree with Jockey's answer:

It’s been a good 3 years. Now we just need to get a couple flags.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2021, 12:20:01 PM »
I know we don't like to talk about it here but Bucky has certainly contributed to the current successful era both in football and basketball, something that is absolutely meaningful statewide.  Frankly, it has only been our beloved in the last few years that's lagged the field.  >:(

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2021, 02:55:28 PM »
Let's see now:

Don't forget the defending champs and first place, Milwaukee Milkmen!  8-)
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2021, 05:50:03 PM »
Let's see now:

When Vince Lombardi coached The Packers things were pretty good. nothing else mattered.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2021, 04:57:39 AM »
This is certainly the best coincidence of WI pro team success in memory. Its a heady time worth savoring. Congrats!

To be a "sports capital" , however, championships must be won. By example, TB is riding a nice hump, which includes a SB win in the NFL, but someone from LA might also point out the Lakers are the current NBA champs and the current MLB champs are the LA Dodgers, with a great chance to repeat. 

The 60's, "Titletown USA" has been the only "sports capital" in WI
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2021, 06:17:57 AM »
This is certainly the best coincidence of WI pro team success in memory. Its a heady time worth savoring. Congrats!

To be a "sports capital" , however, championships must be won. By example, TB is riding a nice hump, which includes a SB win in the NFL, but someone from LA might also point out the Lakers are the current NBA champs and the current MLB champs are the LA Dodgers, with a great chance to repeat. 

The 60's, "Titletown USA" has been the only "sports capital" in WI

I think 2011 could give it a run for it’s money. Packers defending Super Bowl Champs and in the middle of a 15-1 season while the Brewers went to the NLCS.

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2021, 02:08:31 AM »
Back to back. Its "Champa Bay"...

"The Lightning also added another title for “Champa Bay,” coming on the heels of Tom Brady leading the NFL's Buccaneers to a Super Bowl victory in February. The Tampa Bay Rays went to the World Series last fall...."
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2021, 07:09:52 AM »
Back to back. Its "Champa Bay"...

"The Lightning also added another title for “Champa Bay,” coming on the heels of Tom Brady leading the NFL's Buccaneers to a Super Bowl victory in February. The Tampa Bay Rays went to the World Series last fall...."
And Tampa Bay (Clearwater) has the spiritual headquarters for the Church of Scientology,
https://www.scientology.org/faq/the-organization-of-scientology/what-is-flag.html so Tampa Bay is definitely "winning"

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2021, 12:19:13 PM »
And Tampa Bay (Clearwater) has the spiritual headquarters for the Church of Scientology,
https://www.scientology.org/faq/the-organization-of-scientology/what-is-flag.html so Tampa Bay is definitely "winning"

Which is a hilariously contentious relationship.  My favorite was the Clearwater Aquarium had a valuable adjacent land parcel they were looking to sell to help fund a big renovation/donation push.  Scientology offered $15M for it...the Aquarium sold it to the city for $4M.  CoS was super pissed.  But from what I hear Clearwater is now playing ball on some other land swaps, which is lame.