[May 06, 2024, 06:06:48 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Billy Hoyle
[May 06, 2024, 05:33:31 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by BLWarrior91
[May 06, 2024, 05:19:00 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by burger
[May 06, 2024, 03:05:13 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Paint Touches] Notes on a season-defining win over X  (Read 5512 times)

NCMUFan

• All American
Re: [Paint Touches] Notes on a season-defining win over X
« Reply #50 on: February 17, 2023, 10:06:03 AM »
It could come out that Wojo flat out texted every player saying "Shakas a good guy, you committed to MU the place not me as the coach, give him a shot!" and people would still $hit on him rather than give him an ounce of credit. Not worth your time to argue.
TY Galway.  Yes, one thing on these boards that is easy to forget is that you are not going to change anyone's opinion.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #51 on: February 17, 2023, 10:06:33 AM »
Sorry for taking a Cole attitude but in the last two games against top competition MU was never in the game with UCONN and squeaked out a W at home against Xavier with last second heroics by O-Max.  Just saying, if MU makes an early exit in the tournament, it is not like the signs weren't there.

I'm not gonna get snarky with you, just gonna implore you to look around at what's happening in the Big East and all of college hoops.

Even the top programs are losing to theoretically lesser teams or squeaking out close wins. I mean, if Houston has an early exit, the sign was there in their home loss to Temple; if Alabama has an early exit, the sign was there in their 100-point loss to Oklahoma; if Purdue has an early exit, the signs were there in their losses to Northwestern and Maryland; if Kansas has an early exit, the signs were there in their 3-game January losing streak.

And those are just the projected 1 seeds on bracketmatrix. Don't look at Marquette in a vacuum, take a look all around.

Shaka is doing a tremendous job, and all of the players -- regardless of who recruited them initially -- are working their butts off. Just enjoy the journey and don't worry too much about the destination yet.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

PaintTouches

• All American
« Reply #52 on: February 17, 2023, 10:15:58 AM »
I don't always buy into Shot Quality score stuff, but this one made me very glad Oso got that tip to fall.

ShotQuality Score
MU: 87
X: 62

Per SQ, MU wins that game 97% of the time. There were an absurd amount of misses that have been makes all season.

Or listen to Synergy:
Expected PPS: 0.95
Actual PPS: 0.84
Diff: -0.11

This was MU's worst shooting night by a country mile.

Lots to nitpick from the past 5 games, of course, and expect Kalk to drop on Oso just like Nunge did, which takes away all the cuts and doubles every drive. But I would not bank on Kam going 2/14 in his life again.   

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #53 on: February 17, 2023, 10:17:50 AM »
One thing in sales 101 you must not have learned it that it is much easier to keep a customer versus finding a new one.

Yes, you are correct about the above.  Shaka has given credit and due to Wojo/the previous staff for their recruitment of Kam/Stevie (Shaka was actively recruiting Oso while at Texas).  My post that was giving you sh*t was more from the perspective that it is likely Shaka would have filled those open slots (had any/all of Kam, Stevie, Oso left) with capable players and have us succeeding at a high level - though perhaps not this high - nor with players that may have been as likable as Kam, Stevie and Oso.

Though I hated Wojo, I was still a die-hard (but very disappointed) MU fan.  So, respect to you for being a die-hard fan too.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #54 on: February 17, 2023, 10:18:44 AM »
I don't always buy into Shot Quality score stuff, but this one made me very glad Oso got that tip to fall.

ShotQuality Score
MU: 87
X: 62

Per SQ, MU wins that game 97% of the time. There were an absurd amount of misses that have been makes all season.

Or listen to Synergy:
Expected PPS: 0.95
Actual PPS: 0.84
Diff: -0.11

This was MU's worst shooting night by a country mile.

Lots to nitpick from the past 5 games, of course, and expect Kalk to drop on Oso just like Nunge did, which takes away all the cuts and doubles every drive. But I would not bank on Kam going 2/14 in his life again.

Who got the tip?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

PaintTouches

• All American
« Reply #55 on: February 17, 2023, 10:23:52 AM »
Who got the tip?

Aw man, leaving that mistake in my shame.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #56 on: February 17, 2023, 10:24:07 AM »
Yes, you are correct about the above.  Shaka has given credit and due to Wojo/the previous staff for their recruitment of Kam/Stevie (Shaka was actively recruiting Oso while at Texas).  My post that was giving you sh*t was more from the perspective that it is likely Shaka would have filled those open slots (had any/all of Kam, Stevie, Oso left) with capable players and have us succeeding at a high level - though perhaps not this high - nor with players that may have been as likable as Kam, Stevie and Oso.

Though I hated Wojo, I was still a die-hard (but very disappointed) MU fan.  So, respect to you for being a die-hard fan too.
Sure, Shaka is doing a great job.  No doubt about it.  Let's give Creighton all they can handle! Go Marquette!

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #57 on: February 17, 2023, 10:24:37 AM »
7-1 in the last 8 games.  Pretty good for how poorly some think we're playing and how it projects out to our future NCAA failure.  12-2 in our last 14 as well.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

tower912

• All American
« Reply #58 on: February 17, 2023, 10:26:03 AM »
Aw man, leaving that mistake in my shame.

We have all been there.    Thanks for your posts.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU86NC

• Starter
« Reply #59 on: February 17, 2023, 10:26:44 AM »
One thing in sales 101 you must not have learned it that it is much easier to keep a customer versus finding a new one.
Wojo sucked… get over yourself.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #60 on: February 17, 2023, 10:30:36 AM »
 ;D
Will do!

IrwinFletcher

• All American
« Reply #61 on: February 17, 2023, 10:35:34 AM »
21-6.  Not much concerns me about this team.   Conference play is supposed to be a meat grinder.   While you are correct that the offense hasn't been as efficient lately, MU has found ways to win.  That is good.

it is entirely possible and even likely that Creighton holds serve on Tuesday.  That will not cause me worry, either.   Beating a ranked team in their gym is a big ask.   Don't get hurt, take in the process.

Finally, this.  Three first year players, three second year players, three third year players.    This is a very young team.  As good as they have been, there are still lessons to be learned and growth to strive for.    There will be flat spots.  Not many so far, to be sure.   Enjoy the ride.

I posted this elsewhere, Xavier had 3 guys who were in their 5th season of college ball and another that was in his 3rd.  This does not include Freemantle.  Gives you perspective as to how young MU is.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #62 on: February 17, 2023, 10:41:17 AM »
Big difference with this year over last year is MU should have a much more favorable seed this season. The losses at Butler and DePaul likely cost a MU a legitimate chance of getting an NCAA last season. They have not shot the ball well of late but have found ways to win.

I would add, if many MU fans did not have the "past February fade" fear, I think there would be a more optimistic spin on finding ways to win with their B or C game. I am quite happy they found ways to win without playing their basketball. IMO, that was very good programs do on a regular basis.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #63 on: February 17, 2023, 10:43:09 AM »
You're right.  Shaka is only winning because of the stocked cupboard he inherited from Wojo.  Facepalm.  Wojo wasn't the lead recruiter on Oso, Kam, or Stevie (and I don't think Justin either.). Shaka had to re-recruit those guys to MU, they were free to transfer anywhere they wanted when Wojo left.  The best thing that could have happened to MU and Oso, Kam, and Stevie was Wojo getting fired and Shaka getting hired.

Sidenote:  Wojo's best asset was hiring recruiting aces as assistant coaches, and organizing lunch ball amongst them.

That’s not what he’s saying at all. 
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #64 on: February 17, 2023, 10:46:22 AM »
I posted this elsewhere, Xavier had 3 guys who were in their 5th season of college ball and another that was in his 3rd.  This does not include Freemantle.  Gives you perspective as to how young MU is.

And Nunge and Boum are in their sixth year of college.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #65 on: February 17, 2023, 10:59:27 AM »
Big difference with this year over last year is MU should have a much more favorable seed this season. The losses at Butler and DePaul likely cost a MU a legitimate chance of getting an NCAA last season. They have not shot the ball well of late but have found ways to win.

I would add, if many MU fans did not have the "past February fade" fear, I think there would be a more optimistic spin on finding ways to win with their B or C game. I am quite happy they found ways to win without playing their basketball. IMO, that was very good programs do on a regular basis.

Yep.  I agree this bodes well.

Now, anything can happen.  Dwade and the boys lost first round the year before they went to the final four.  They were a young and up and coming team.  This years team is a young and up and coming team. 

Who knows? I’m just going to enjoy the ride.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #66 on: February 17, 2023, 11:19:00 AM »
Is it concerning to anyone else that 3/4 (and 4/6) of our worst AdjO and ef% games have come since 2/1?
It is to me.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #67 on: February 17, 2023, 11:35:26 AM »
Who got the tip?

Perhaps Oso is a Jedi and he used the force to guide the ball to O-Max's right hand.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #68 on: February 17, 2023, 12:18:58 PM »
I'm not gonna get snarky with you, just gonna implore you to look around at what's happening in the Big East and all of college hoops.

Even the top programs are losing to theoretically lesser teams or squeaking out close wins. I mean, if Houston has an early exit, the sign was there in their home loss to Temple; if Alabama has an early exit, the sign was there in their 100-point loss to Oklahoma; if Purdue has an early exit, the signs were there in their losses to Northwestern and Maryland; if Kansas has an early exit, the signs were there in their 3-game January losing streak.

And those are just the projected 1 seeds on bracketmatrix. Don't look at Marquette in a vacuum, take a look all around.

Shaka is doing a tremendous job, and all of the players -- regardless of who recruited them initially -- are working their butts off. Just enjoy the journey and don't worry too much about the destination yet.

I won't speak for anyone else, but I'm not looking at things from a single data point.

Advanced stats have said our offense/shooting is trending down.

Let's hope it trends back up!

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #69 on: February 17, 2023, 12:38:53 PM »
I won't speak for anyone else, but I'm not looking at things from a single data point.

Advanced stats have said our offense/shooting is trending down.

Let's hope it trends back up!

The shot quality seems to be fine though per this thread. They're getting good looks generally I expect these things to move to the mean soon.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #70 on: February 17, 2023, 02:08:30 PM »
IMO, the big difference in the offense is that it is taking longer to get a wide open shot. I still think they are getting open looks, just taking longer and not shooting as well. Prior to the past couple of weeks our best offense went in spurts, and it was a domino effect.
They have not had many 5-6 minute spurts of late and has slowed down the output. They had a couple against DePaul and Georgetown and scored in bunches. Scoring in bunches changes a game quickly and MU has done very well at that up until recently.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #71 on: February 17, 2023, 02:16:54 PM »
IMO, the big difference in the offense is that it is taking longer to get a wide open shot. I still think they are getting open looks, just taking longer and not shooting as well. Prior to the past couple of weeks our best offense went in spurts, and it was a domino effect.
They have not had many 5-6 minute spurts of late and has slowed down the output. They had a couple against DePaul and Georgetown and scored in bunches. Scoring in bunches changes a game quickly and MU has done very well at that up until recently.

In the Butler game, the ball got stagnant on a lot of possessions.

In the Xavier game, it moved better and oftentimes, they got mismatches for the offense.  OMax in particular should have been more aggressive but was never comfortable until late. 

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #72 on: February 17, 2023, 02:18:59 PM »
In the Butler game, the ball got stagnant on a lot of possessions.

In the Xavier game, it moved better and oftentimes, they got mismatches for the offense.  OMax in particular should have been more aggressive but was never comfortable until late.

It's the lack of aggressiveness. Feels like some players are a but hesitant to shoot. Shame because I think quick shot Omax is better than "has time omax"
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #73 on: February 17, 2023, 02:19:09 PM »
Sorry for taking a Cole attitude but in the last two games against top competition MU was never in the game with UCONN and squeaked out a W at home against Xavier with last second heroics by O-Max.  Just saying, if MU makes an early exit in the tournament, it is not like the signs weren't there.
And if MU makes it to the Sweet 16 and beyond, the signs were there as well. People see what they want to see. I see a team greater than the sum if its parts, who doesn't get rattled, and finds a way to win.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #74 on: February 17, 2023, 02:29:11 PM »
It's the lack of aggressiveness. Feels like some players are a but hesitant to shoot. Shame because I think quick shot Omax is better than "has time omax"

I thought the same thing Wednesday night. 

feedback