[Today at 10:46:03 AM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Viper
[Today at 10:44:20 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:37:28 AM]

Shaka interview by Scoop Snoop
[May 01, 2024, 04:53:31 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Points of Encouragement  (Read 4950 times)

WashDCWarrior

• All American
Points of Encouragement
« on: November 11, 2006, 07:54:32 AM »
Ok, so we were in a really tight game with Hillsdale College for 34 minutes.  End of the world?  Not exactly.

Let's take a look at who struggled - James, McNeal, Matthews.  The three combined for 11 of 42 shooting.  Stagerring, but what that stat doesn't initially show is that the remainder of the team was a way-more-than-respectable 16 for 23.  Given the point we are at in the season, I'd rather have the big 3, the guys whose production we're not worried about struggle while the question marks produce.  We saw solid play from the two starting bigs, Barro (4-7, 8 pts and 7 rebs) and Lott (4-5, 11 pts and 6 rebs).  Lazar got the monkey off his back scoring first points as as Warrior.  We had 4 players with 6 or more rebounds and won the battle of the boards 42-22.

No the opener wasn't a gem, wasn't the 30 point blowout we were expecting, but it also wasn't a disaster.  Steps were taken and Crean should have all the players' attention this weekend.  So lets wait till Monday and see if the book improves in chapter two.

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
Re: Points of Encouragement
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2006, 08:10:27 AM »
I agree.. every team is bound to have down games and if this was one of them, I'm (while not happy) ok with it - we still got the W and with relatively low uncertainty that we would do so (at least by midway into the 2nd half from what I understand).

on a tandem topic.. uconn looks to have struggled against quin.. while they got the win it was like 53-46.. very low scoring game for a big east team IMHO.. but I am not going to judge them on this game and say they'll be a cupcake (TY A.M.) either.
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2006, 08:12:04 AM »
i was particularly pleased with the solid play of Cubillan and Hayward.....both played well in their given roles, an encouraging sign IMHO

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2006, 09:30:17 AM »
Both are definitely going to be good ones for us over the next 4 years.

HoopDreams

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2006, 12:10:47 PM »
Frankly I do not understand why both Wes and Jerel upon penetrating cannot simply kick it out to our other guys..it seems like ever time they drive they are looking to draw contact when players like Fitz and Lazar are begging for the ball on the perimeter. I just think our set offense needs work, and we need to move the ball better. It would open up our offense and show the defense that we are more than one dimensional...because currently we are relying on three players to essentially do the same thing, drive (it is a part of each of their styles of play). I think we could use our other players to diversify our offense..hopefully this will change in the near future.
Tradition Never Graduates..

CWSKeith

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2006, 12:38:56 PM »
Frankly I do not understand why both Wes and Jerel upon penetrating cannot simply kick it out to our other guys..it seems like ever time they drive they are looking to draw contact when players like Fitz and Lazar are begging for the ball on the perimeter. I just think our set offense needs work, and we need to move the ball better. It would open up our offense and show the defense that we are more than one dimensional...because currently we are relying on three players to essentially do the same thing, drive (it is a part of each of their styles of play). I think we could use our other players to diversify our offense..hopefully this will change in the near future.

I agree with this.  Obviously, it's quite early to be making harsh judgements, but the trio (James in particular) have had no problem getting to within five-to-ten feet of the hoop.  When they have gotten there, however, they've either thrown up a sloppy shot or made a poor pass.  We haven't done a very good job of shooting at all, but our three point shooting has been non-existant in particular.  I think Fitzgerald in particular can have a bigger impact than he's currently having.  I think he can be the guy who can hit open threes.  Obviously, you can't replace a Novak, but Fitz, IMO, is our best bet to imitate him.