'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by MUDPT
[Today at 10:05:13 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by wadesworld
[Today at 09:36:37 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by TSmith34, Inc.
[Today at 08:28:28 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Nukem2
[Today at 01:57:07 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[Today at 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: wojo extended for 5 years  (Read 33345 times)

willie warrior

• All American
Re: wojo extended for 5 years
« Reply #75 on: May 07, 2019, 08:28:53 PM »
Yessss embrace your hatred!

This is the anger I was hoping for. Not gonna lie, the board hasn’t jumped off a cliff on this and I’m a little disappointed.
The board has not jumped off the cliff because many here have swallowed the Wojo mystique, and are looking for any excuse to save Wojos massive  wilt and fiasco with Hausers. I heard that wojo got the extension because he wowed the admin with a killer light sabre and power point pitch that included smoke, malarkey, mirrors, spin, hocus pocus, and lots of promises to trend in right direction. Long stay for Wojo will make everybody happy with regular NIT invites.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #76 on: May 07, 2019, 08:30:52 PM »
Guru

Since NIT doesn’t count, when are we tearing the NIT banner down and removing the accomplishment from the locker room, and all other acknowledgement from MU? And shouldn’t MU basketball decide what counts and what doesn’t?

You seriously aren't this dense are you?? Really?? When have you EVER seen any fan base in CBB(save for rinky dink programs) that LIKE/enjoy seeing their team in the NIT?? The NIT CONSTANTLY is bashed. 99% of the players that go, don't even want to be there, but you can't decline a bid anymore.

Mike Deane must have left a great impression on you, really...if you're proud of MU playing in the NIT. Small minds have small dreams I guess.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #77 on: May 07, 2019, 08:32:24 PM »
The board has not jumped off the cliff because many here have swallowed the Wojo mystique, and are looking for any excuse to save Wojos massive  wilt and fiasco with Hausers. I heard that wojo got the extension because he wowed the admin with a killer light sabre and power point pitch that included smoke, malarkey, mirrors, spin, hocus pocus, and lots of promises to trend in right direction. Long stay for Wojo will make everybody happy with regular NIT invites.

Well it will obviously make Chicos happy since he lists it proudly amongst Wojo's "accomplishments".  ::)

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #78 on: May 07, 2019, 08:37:01 PM »
Reading some of the enlightened people on social media saying this is equivalent to DePaul really makes me wonder what the MU education is worth if people are that stupid. 

Watching heads explode even better.

Watching the word mediocrity incorrectly used is priceless.

And finally, reminding people of the 6th place Big East non NIT team he inherited....cathartic.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #79 on: May 07, 2019, 08:44:12 PM »
Reading some of the enlightened people on social media saying this is equivalent to DePaul really makes me wonder what the MU education is worth if people are that stupid. 

And finally, reminding people of the 6th place Big East non NIT team he inherited....cathartic.
You are right Murf. The word mediocre is incorrectly used for Wojo. How about unimpressive, or marginal  or unsatisfactory, or clueless
But you get the drift.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #80 on: May 07, 2019, 09:06:24 PM »

I guess the first time we did this it didn't register...so I will try it one more time, since you are obviously a bit "challenged"...Below you will find the OFFICIAL definition of mediocrity..

adjective
1. of only ordinary or moderate quality; neither good nor bad; barely adequate:

Okay, so...you want to compare MU to the rest of the CBB world(or a majority of it, like Rutgers, Penn State etc). You CANNOT do that...this definition is up to each individuals relative desires for what they want MU to be as a program..No NCAA wins and NO BE titles in 5 years is "barely adequate" to some of us...to you, NIT's are an accomplishment, so YOUR definition of mediocrity is different than others(because it fits your agenda).

2. not satisfactory; poor; inferior:

Again...to YOU Wojo's tenure doesn't fit the definition of Mediocre(but you think small time). To those of us that want better/more from the MARQUETTE(not all the other D1 schools) program...the results have not been satisfactory, and have been poor and inferior.

I've laid it all out for you, let's not have this discussion again, okay?? His results have been MEDIOCRE for where the MU basketball program SHOULD be. That's a FACT. Look at his two predecessors and where they were after 5 years...so before you spew your unrealistic BS..that's an apples to apples comparison...Marquette program under Crean and Buzz, to MU program under Wojo. There's NO comparison. period. End of discussion.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #81 on: May 07, 2019, 09:20:42 PM »
Comparing yourself to Rutgers is small time thinking.

Firing a coach who just earned a 5 seed because you weren't happy with how long the rebuild took is also small time thinking.

Not extending a coach beyond the next recruiting cycle because you're scared you might have to fire him is the smallest time thinking.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #82 on: May 07, 2019, 09:28:55 PM »
Comparing yourself to Rutgers is small time thinking.

Firing a coach who just earned a 5 seed because you weren't happy with how long the rebuild took is also small time thinking.

Not extending a coach beyond the next recruiting cycle because you're scared you might have to fire him is the smallest time thinking.

This is my issue, to ME MU should NEVER have to rebuild, they should simply...reload...and what I mean by that is, they should always have good enough talent to make the NCAA's, or at least VERY close to it.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #83 on: May 07, 2019, 09:34:12 PM »
This is my issue, to ME MU should NEVER have to rebuild, they should simply...reload...and what I mean by that is, they should always have good enough talent to make the NCAA's, or at least VERY close to it.

You can feel this way,  but the need for a rebuild wasn't because of Wojo. That happened before he got here.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #84 on: May 07, 2019, 09:45:41 PM »
You can feel this way,  but the need for a rebuild wasn't because of Wojo. That happened before he got here.

Not entirely true...I know it's unprecedented but Wojo did NOT have to release all the recruits he did...he didn't have to dismiss Todd Mayo from the team...and further, IF a rebuild was necessary, it should take ONE year at the most then be right back to making the NCAA's again without much trouble. His has taken longer than it really should.

Oregon Warrior

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #85 on: May 07, 2019, 09:51:33 PM »
Yes, because all fans are responding on Twitter.  What denominator are you using to define most?  The 15 anti-people on Twitter?  Awesome analytics.

Over one hundred comments on Instagram. The vast majority of them upset with the decision. The administration didn’t have much of a choice with the extension, but pretending the anti-Wojo crowd is a small minority is naive.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #86 on: May 07, 2019, 09:52:52 PM »
I love that Scoopers are now using Instagram comments as a sampling of the Marquette fanbase’s feelings/opinions.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

dad's couch

• Starter
« Reply #87 on: May 07, 2019, 09:57:46 PM »
Muguru,
At first I thought you were just having fun with a couple of people on this board. The post about not letting recruits out and keeping Mayo just showed me how really, really, really you are out of touch with college basketball.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #88 on: May 07, 2019, 09:58:01 PM »
Not entirely true...I know it's unprecedented but Wojo did NOT have to release all the recruits he did...he didn't have to dismiss Todd Mayo from the team...and further, IF a rebuild was necessary, it should take ONE year at the most then be right back to making the NCAA's again without much trouble. His has taken longer than it really should.

This is just so ridiculously absurd.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #89 on: May 07, 2019, 09:59:53 PM »
Over one hundred comments on Instagram. The vast majority of them upset with the decision. The administration didn’t have much of a choice with the extension, but pretending the anti-Wojo crowd is a small minority is naive.

Sounds very scientific.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #90 on: May 07, 2019, 10:03:10 PM »
This deal probably has been in the works for quite some time. Wouldn't be surprised if serious talks were going on months and months ago.

The program has been on an upward trajectory, and by all appearances it has been a clean program. Recruiting has been solid. Players have improved, some significantly.

It getting this contract finalized and announced now, it also could be the administration saying, "We believe the narrative that the Hauser thing was not mostly on our coach, if at all."

And of course it's about recruiting. As a few other Scoopers said, we were at "extend or fire" time as far as dealing with recruiting goes. Given those 2 choices, and given what else is out there, extending him was the easy choice for MU.

Several of us (dozens, I'm guessing) said at several points this season -- after the Indiana and Kansas losses, after the first St. John's loss, after the way the season ended, and after the Hausers left -- that Wojo was more likely to get extended than fired. So this is should not be the least bit surprising.

And even though coaches have gotten fired a couple/few years after signing extensions, this also probably means his seat won't even be slightly lukewarm in 2019-20.

It doesn't change a thing for me: I am expecting a very good season.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #91 on: May 07, 2019, 10:08:42 PM »
You seriously aren't this dense are you?? Really?? When have you EVER seen any fan base in CBB(save for rinky dink programs) that LIKE/enjoy seeing their team in the NIT?? The NIT CONSTANTLY is bashed. 99% of the players that go, don't even want to be there, but you can't decline a bid anymore.

Mike Deane must have left a great impression on you, really...if you're proud of MU playing in the NIT. Small minds have small dreams I guess.

It depends.  When your team is young, I have seen programs quite pleased with a NIT.  It is better than nothing at all.  No one is saying it is better than the ncaa...no one.  You said it was completely worthless and doesn’t count, so I again ask when are we striking the NIT appearances and the NIT championship from the record books since you have declared it has no value?

99%....please provide the source for this false statement of yours.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #92 on: May 07, 2019, 10:11:27 PM »
Well it will obviously make Chicos happy since he lists it proudly amongst Wojo's "accomplishments".  ::)

If we go to the NCAA four of every five years and the NIT is the consolation in that off year, I can live with that.

So list those top ten programs that we should just easily step into because it is “where we belong” and where we apparently are supposed to be because in our 100 years we were there for all of 10% of the time.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 10:19:39 PM by Cheeks »
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #93 on: May 07, 2019, 10:13:14 PM »

That’s how completely out of touch with reality you are.  But “very close to it” means NIT which you juSt crapped all over...classic.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #94 on: May 07, 2019, 10:15:06 PM »

LOL.  How many people didn’t bother to comment and are not counted at all?  You know, a guy winning an election with 60% of the vote wins in a landslide, yet 40% still don’t want him and can bitch all day and night on Instagram about it....right?

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #95 on: May 07, 2019, 10:18:38 PM »

Keep Todd Mayo....my God are you totally out to lunch.  And you think you know things that go on in the program and you make that absurd statement.  That’s an all time keeper.

Poor guy, it took two years.  Using your same logic, after three straight ncaa tournaments we shouldn’t miss everything including the NIT, but we did with Buzz.  Weird.  If on,y those pesky human beings weren’t involved and basketball players were just robots, injuries didn’t happen, eligibility was never an issue, and life was predictable li,e it was in the 1970’s....eh?

dad's couch

• Starter
« Reply #96 on: May 07, 2019, 10:19:10 PM »
Muguru
I take it back. You know a lot about college hoops. Your background as a college AD makes you more than qualified to comment. I especially enjoyed your previous jobs as
- The AD at UCLA who fired Ben Howland
- The AD at Texas who fired Rick Barnes
- The AD at Pittsburgh who fired Jamie Dixon
- The AD at St Johns who fired Steve Lavin

Cleared out all those mediocre coaches and left the program in much better shape.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #97 on: May 07, 2019, 10:23:55 PM »
If we go to the NCAA four of every five years and the NIT is the consolation in that off year, I can live with that.

So list those top ten programs that we should just easily step into because it is “where we belong” and where we apparently are supposed so be because in our 100 years we were there for Ll of 10% of the time.

4 out of 5 years? Seriously? Give me one god damn GOOD reason(other than being decimated by injuries) that MU should NOT make the NCAA'S every single year? Now keep in mind..programs like UW made it what? 17 straight? Gonzaga has been there 17 or 18 straight I believe..the list goes on and on..now if MU goes 15 straight years and misses once..okay major outlier..i can forgive that..but 4 out of 5? Especially in this day and age when it's not hard at all to make the NCAA tournament..thats unacceptable

muguru

• All American
« Reply #98 on: May 07, 2019, 10:28:00 PM »
Muguru
I take it back. You know a lot about college hoops. Your background as a college AD makes you more than qualified to comment. I especially enjoyed your previous jobs as
- The AD at UCLA who fired Ben Howland
- The AD at Texas who fired Rick Barnes
- The AD at Pittsburgh who fired Jamie Dixon
- The AD at St Johns who fired Steve Lavin

Cleared out all those mediocre coaches and left the program in much better shape.

Are you comparing Wojo to those Coaches? If you are..then you're the one that knows absolutely nothing about college BB..oh and Dixon wasn't fired..he left on his own.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #99 on: May 07, 2019, 10:35:33 PM »
4 out of 5 years? Seriously? Give me one god damn GOOD reason(other than being decimated by injuries) that MU should NOT make the NCAA'S every single year? Now keep in mind..programs like UW made it what? 17 straight? Gonzaga has been there 17 or 18 straight I believe..the list goes on and on..now if MU goes 15 straight years and misses once..okay major outlier..i can forgive that..but 4 out of 5? Especially in this day and age when it's not hard at all to make the NCAA tournament..thats unacceptable

The list goes on and on?  Nope, it doesn’t.  In fact the list is very short.....that’s why.  Very short currently in today’s day and age of college basketball.  This just in the 1970’s called and they want their Ford Pinto back.

In our history we have made it 5 straight or more two times in our history.  McGuire in the 70’s and Crean/ Buzz combo in the 2000’s. 

Do I think we can?  Yes.  Do I expect it or believe it is the normal course of college hoops now...no.  The number of schools that currently have 6 or more straight NCAA appearances is....drum roll...is 7 schools.

Nova
Kansas
Duke
Gonzaga
UNC
Cincinnati
Michigan State

That’s it!!!!!!
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 11:09:59 PM by Cheeks »