* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by BLWarrior91
[Today at 08:41:56 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:11:08 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by TSmith34, Inc.
[May 04, 2024, 08:28:28 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[May 04, 2024, 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[May 04, 2024, 07:00:37 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: And Newbill Speaks to Rosiak..  (Read 74188 times)

Badgerhater

• All American
Re: And Newbill Speaks to Rosiak..
« Reply #125 on: August 10, 2010, 03:31:19 PM »
Whobill?

Strokin 3s

• Team Captain
« Reply #126 on: August 10, 2010, 03:38:30 PM »

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #127 on: August 10, 2010, 03:45:08 PM »
People are reading way too much into MU's press release saying he'd be here in the fall, it's just the usual complimentary stuff they put out for all recruits.  What are they supposed to say?  "MU is happy to sign Newbill, but he might have to spend a year in prep school working on his game before he gets here."

I was going to say this same thing. The press release was likely pulled from a template and slapped together. Do all of the other recruit's releases have the same or similar verbage?

So far, most of the speculation here is that Newbill is lying--there was a verbal agreement that he would attend prep school for a year.  

As I stated previously in my timeline (based on my opinion, by the way), I'm not sure that Newbill was completely filled in as to what was really going on. He may have never known that prep school was being discussed for him because neither Buzz nor DJ's camp clearly passed that message along.

Who do you think Buzz was referring to when he mentioned that a recruit was headed to prep school? As Buzz might say, I don't mean that in a condescending way. I'm actually curious as to what posters think could be the explanation for that comment.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #128 on: August 10, 2010, 03:55:58 PM »
MM - thats actually a really great point and I think reflects a lot of the likely accuracy in your timeline.  If Buzz didn't mean that DJ was going to prep school, who else?  In all likelihood he did mean DJ, which makes the "and he knows it" part curious.  I think this highlights the miscommunication on both sides.
For DJ, its likely that he really didn't know about this or at least didn't think there was any substantive likelihood that it would happen.
For Buzz, it seems to reflect or acknowledge that he sensed something was not quite kosher with the whole situation, kind of a "perhaps the lady doth protest too much" situation.  (NOT TRYING TO SAY BUZZ LIED, merely that he had his suspicions that not everyone was on the same page)

Of course this doesn't solve whether or not people think that the whole situation is kosher given the above (were it true) but I'm sick of debating that anyway. I'm all about full scale speculation and coming to our own Scoop consensus now.

PE8983

• Team Captain
« Reply #129 on: August 10, 2010, 04:19:39 PM »
One thing everyone does know is that Buzz said the person knew all about it and was on board with it - proof on video.  Newbill says he didn't know - no proof there that he was or wasn't told.  Just whether or not you believe him.  If Newbill truly didn't know it was him, then wasn't he curious about who it was when hearing Buzz's remarks?  Would he not talk to the other recruits to find out who it is?  It's been discussed how the recruits were talking between each other about various things.  Was Newbill completely left out of the loop with all other recruits?  Didn't know anything about the Pro-Am from any of the coaches or other players?  No application in?  No registration for 2nd summer session classes?  Completely in the dark about all of this?

Everyone else appears to be ready to start school soon, so it sure seems he should have known Buzz was talking about him, even if he didn't know.  Any interest in digging into it should have told him something.  As soon as Buzz said it, there was talk all over these boards that it was him or Reggie.  Doesn't read any of these boards also? 

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #130 on: August 10, 2010, 04:50:19 PM »
People are reading way too much into MU's press release saying he'd be here in the fall, it's just the usual complimentary stuff they put out for all recruits.  What are they supposed to say?  "MU is happy to sign Newbill, but he might have to spend a year in prep school working on his game before he gets here."

They couldn't put that quote out, as it would be a public admission of cheating--the NLI plainly prohibits you from signing player a year in advance with the intent of storing them in prep school until you're ready.

As I stated previously in my timeline (based on my opinion, by the way), I'm not sure that Newbill was completely filled in as to what was really going on. He may have never known that prep school was being discussed for him because neither Buzz nor DJ's camp clearly passed that message along.

I don't understand how MU could discuss this for Newbill without breaking the rules. The NLI does not provide the school a "prep-school option year" for signed players.  

Who do you think Buzz was referring to when he mentioned that a recruit was headed to prep school? As Buzz might say, I don't mean that in a condescending way. I'm actually curious as to what posters think could be the explanation for that comment.

I took it to mean one of the players hadn't academically qualified.  

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #131 on: August 10, 2010, 05:48:11 PM »
They couldn't put that quote out, as it would be a public admission of cheating--the NLI plainly prohibits you from signing player a year in advance with the intent of storing them in prep school until you're ready.

I don't understand how MU could discuss this for Newbill without breaking the rules. The NLI does not provide the school a "prep-school option year" for signed players.  

I took it to mean one of the players hadn't academically qualified.  

We get it. It's against the rules. How many people bend the rules in recruiting? Maybe it was discussed and Newbill's camp agreed to it knowing that Buzz couldn't change the writing of the NLi, and then when it happened they said thy had no ideasi ce they knew Buxz couldn't say he was going to have to go to prep school for a year based on the rules. Just because there's a rule against changing the writing on a NLI doesn't mean outside agreements aren't sometimes made.

Would you agree that Buzz said somebody was going to have to go to prep school (as someone poured out, there's video evidence of it)? Would you agree that everyone but Jae Croeder is on campus and in the Pro-Am and Jae will be here after he finishes his summer classes to graduate JUCO? Who else, then, do you think Buzz was talking about?

If Buzz was saying somebody was going to prep school because he would be ineligible because of grades and the kid knew it, then why would Buzz accept his NLI? As you said, you cNt signs a kid and then jeep him in prep school for a year, so it does t matter what reason the person went to prep school, it's, as you've brought up over and o Ed...and over...and over, against the rules
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #132 on: August 10, 2010, 06:32:01 PM »
One thing everyone does know is that Buzz said the person knew all about it and was on board with it - proof on video.  Newbill says he didn't know - no proof there that he was or wasn't told.  Just whether or not you believe him.

I'm not going to get drawn into the underlying debate, but I'm really trying to understand how Buzz saying something on video is proof that what he says is true, but Newbill saying something is not proof that what he says is true.  Either one (or both of them) could by lying.

Maybe I misunderstood your post.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #133 on: August 10, 2010, 06:51:45 PM »
I'm not going to get drawn into the underlying debate, but I'm really trying to understand how Buzz saying something on video is proof that what he says is true, but Newbill saying something is not proof that what he says is true.  Either one (or both of them) could by lying.

Maybe I misunderstood your post.

I was going to ask the same question, you beat me to it.  Apparently if it's on video it's gospel?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/YSDAXGXGiEw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/YSDAXGXGiEw</a>

LOL....and that goes for both sides (Newbill or Buzz).

PE8983

• Team Captain
« Reply #134 on: August 10, 2010, 07:19:12 PM »
All I'm saying is that Buzz was recorded on video (I think it was early spring) saying that at least one of the incoming recruits was not going to be here in the fall, that the person knew all about it, and that he was still recruiting for the fall.  I would be shocked if all of the incoming recruits did not see and hear that.  As such, you would think that they would all be talking to each other to see who he was referencing if they didn't already know.

What's up for debate is whether Buzz discussed this all with Newbill, and who you believe.  IMO, what I do find hard to believe is that he knew nothing about what was going on (no MU application, no 2nd session summer school registration, no Pro-Am knowledge, evidently no discussion with other incoming recruits, no discussion with coaches, rumors on the boards that he or Reggie were headed to prep throughout the spring) right up to the time that he is ready to move to Milwaukee. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #135 on: August 10, 2010, 07:19:16 PM »
So Buzz Williams tells IWB what happened. IWB prints it. You say anyone who believes what Buzz Williams said (through IWB) is a kool-aid drinker. I use my storied reading comprehension skills to conclude that you in essence just called Buzz Williams a liar without using those exact words. In addition, you've accused Buzz (again the hyperbole) of ruining DJ Newbill's life. That will certainly help recruiting. COMPRENDO?

Lenny, this is the third time now where you've accused me of saying the dropping of this kid would ruin his life.  Can you please bring up the post that I said that and the ENTIRE post for some context.  I can't find it.  I may have said it, but since I'm oft accused here of saying things I didn't and then have to prove people wrong, like yesterday, I'd appreciate that courtesy.  I definitely said it affects the lives of these people, but I need help where I said his life would be ruined like you continue to imply I said.

Is it this one?   http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=20919.msg221230#msg221230

Or this one?  http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=20923.msg221298#msg221298

Give me that courtesy so I can respond in full context.  Thanks.

As far as Buzz and IWB, I have no reason not to believe either one and have said nothing different of the sort.  So let me ask you this question, was Buzz the one always communicating to Newbill?  Sure sounds like from the Newbill camp that it was often Scott Monarch.  Now, Lenny, I'm sure you have some employees working for you and often they have to associate with vendors or partners or clients, do you know everything that is said to them?  Are you in every one of those calls?  Does it ever happen where a subordinate miscommunicates to a vendor or party on your behalf?  Can any of these things happen to MU basketball during the recruiting process?

There is no doubt that somewhere there was a major communications breakdown, whether that was with Newbill, or Buzz (or his staff), or both, who knows.   I'll repeat, however, that running around calling the recruit and his family liars seems less than productive and incredibly unseemly.  Maybe it's not for you....to each his own.  When I say I'm not drinking the Kool-Aid, it means I'm not buying 100% of that side of the story.  That doesn't mean I don't believe him, it means there are two sides of the story and the complete truth probably lies somewhere else.  You make this an all or nothing proposition...if you don't buy the MU version you believe Buzz is a liar....this, is where your reading comprehension still suffers greatly and your logic even more so. 

mikem91288

• Team Captain
« Reply #136 on: August 10, 2010, 07:23:04 PM »
everyone posting in this thread turn off your computer and go enjoy the summer weather while it lasts. This is ridiculous.
Warrior in the class of 2011.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #137 on: August 10, 2010, 07:26:35 PM »
All I'm saying is that Buzz was recorded on video (I think it was early spring) saying that at least one of the incoming recruits was not going to be here in the fall, that the person knew all about it, and that he was still recruiting for the fall.  I would be shocked if all of the incoming recruits did not see and hear that.  As such, you would think that they would all be talking to each other to see who he was referencing if they didn't already know.

What's up for debate is whether Buzz discussed this all with Newbill, and who you believe.  IMO, what I do find hard to believe is that he knew nothing about what was going on (no MU application, no 2nd session summer school registration, no Pro-Am knowledge, evidently no discussion with other incoming recruits, no discussion with coaches, rumors on the boards that he or Reggie were headed to prep throughout the spring) right up to the time that he is ready to move to Milwaukee. 

Equally, some of us find it hard to believe that a kid would sign a NLI if he had other offers, why would he do that if he was supposed to go to a Prep School?  What sane person would do this and limit their options? 

Do you have the video, by the way?

PE8983

• Team Captain
« Reply #138 on: August 10, 2010, 07:36:27 PM »
His list of offers still grows by the day.  Now he says Gtown and FSU wanted him.  At the time of his commitment on Feb 1, per Scout, "Among the other schools that showed interest in the 6-foot-3 shooting guard were West Virginia, Drexel, Nebraska, LaSalle, Niagra, St. Joseph and Temple."  No indication of actual offers.

I believe the video was on MU's website showing one of Buzz's interviews from the banquet or a speech at a dinner function.  A little searching would find it.  It started the rumors all over the boards on who wasn't going to be around in the fall.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #139 on: August 10, 2010, 07:58:05 PM »
It just might be that Buzz thought someone else was going to have to go to prep school. However, in the end that person ended up qualifying. He could have been recruiting Wilson as a replacement for that person. But by the time Wilson was released the player who Buzz thought would have to go to prep school no longer had to. Then with all the other freshmen on campus and Newbill not even having submitted his required papers resulted in Newbill being dropped. This is specualtion like everything else. I just do not think you can automatically assume that Newbill was the one Buzz was talking about. There was some rumors about Smith having to go to prep. It would make more sense that Buzz would sign another guard (Newbill), if he thought one of his guards were not going to qualify. Also when Newbill committed it was stated that he would have no problem qualifying.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #140 on: August 10, 2010, 08:11:13 PM »
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=20490.0

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=20427.0

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=20512.0

In this one, another thread (Davante Gardner) is referenced where Boone and Golden Avalanche say there sources say Newbill is going to prep, but Brad Forster denies it.   
 So, much discussion of one of our recruits going the prep school route, no smoking video.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #141 on: August 10, 2010, 08:57:07 PM »

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #142 on: August 10, 2010, 09:11:03 PM »
Equally, some of us find it hard to believe that a kid would sign a NLI if he had other offers, why would he do that if he was supposed to go to a Prep School?  What sane person would do this and limit their options? 

Maybe a kid that wanted to be at a certain school and/or conference that was telling him they couldn't promise it requested the NLI - he didn't want to be the guy without an NLI because people would say, 'why didn't you sign like most people do'?  So the school, with a kind heart, said, 'fine, we'll sign an NLI with you, but it's still subject to a number of things....'.  It's a binding contract, pending admission... so one way around it is to not submit application papers.. which happened.  If admitted, there is no way around it.  By contract, could MU really have 'cut him'?  No.  There are many possibilities here - I don't know them, but you like to think you do.

Go celebrate Peter Jurkin and stop dwelling on this. 
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #143 on: August 10, 2010, 09:17:52 PM »
I was going to ask the same question, you beat me to it.  Apparently if it's on video it's gospel?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/YSDAXGXGiEw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/YSDAXGXGiEw</a>

LOL....and that goes for both sides (Newbill or Buzz).

Says the man who has taken Newbill's word as the truth in forming his opinions...

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #144 on: August 10, 2010, 09:21:48 PM »
His list of offers still grows by the day.  Now he says Gtown and FSU wanted him.  At the time of his commitment on Feb 1, per Scout, "Among the other schools that showed interest in the 6-foot-3 shooting guard were West Virginia, Drexel, Nebraska, LaSalle, Niagra, St. Joseph and Temple."  No indication of actual offers.

I believe the video was on MU's website showing one of Buzz's interviews from the banquet or a speech at a dinner function.  A little searching would find it.  It started the rumors all over the boards on who wasn't going to be around in the fall.

So just so I have this correct, is he making up these offers?  I'm just asking, not accusing.  Incidentally, some of the sites did say OFFERS.

A repost from a few weeks ago...

---------------
Rosiak said offered

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/83911602.html

http://dev.www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/90887964.html?page=4

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/97488689.html

Rivals (click on the SHOW ALL TAB)   http://rivals.yahoo.com/marquette/basketball/recruiting/player-D.J.-Newbill-107573

http://www.recruitrecon.com/index.php?option=com_recruit&task=showplayerprofile&sportid=1&id=238

Then we have IWB, who I think is very well connected and does his homework, writing on February 2nd that the people that know him best are his coaches (Law and Waiters).  He dedicates most of the column to those two coaches....for which we had people here going crazy with love and high fives...only now these two coaches are persona non grata. 

http://marquette.scout.com/2/943278.html

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #145 on: August 10, 2010, 09:23:50 PM »

Go celebrate Peter Jurkin and stop dwelling on this.  

I'd rather celebrate MU recruits than IU recruits.  I didn't start this thread, just so you know, so feel free to pound on others.

But Rocky will be paying off his bet to me after next year, that I can pretty much guarantee.  Crean will be there longer than this year so that will be the easiest bet I've collected in quite some time. 

Sad day for IU community in general.  The plane crash in Alaska that claimed the lives of five, including former Senator Ted Stevens, also claimed the life of the father of an IU football player.  His brother, was also on the plane but survived the crash along with O'Keefe (former NASA head) and his son. 
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 09:46:57 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #146 on: August 10, 2010, 09:28:44 PM »
Says the man who has taken Newbill's word as the truth in forming his opinions...

Maybe you missed the quote under the video....applies to both sides.   :o  Maybe you were too busy fishing to notice it.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #147 on: August 10, 2010, 09:31:51 PM »
I'd rather celebrate MU recruits.  I didn't start this thread, just so you know.

Ahh, so only the person who starts the thread counts.  Got it.  

Why are you dwelling on this topic so heavily?  Are you trying to teach everyone a lesson?  I can't imagine how many months of repetitious posts you must have had when our last coach left despite his contract through,... what, 2017?  I'm sure there were excuses there.  

There are so many possibilities with this 'issue'.  If you think you know the facts, please let me know - your wannabe righteous talk is of no interest.  

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #148 on: August 10, 2010, 09:41:25 PM »
Nothing to do with being righteous, but doing what is right...as in MU should do what is right in these cases.  I, alone, do not hold that view but rather many do.  If you want to single one person out, that's fine, it's your dime.

There are many possibilities with this issue, which I've said many times.  The answer is somewhere, likely, in the middle.  All I've said is I'm not going to buy the MU version as if it's gospel and I certainly am not going to dismiss this kid, his family, etc as liars.  For doing that, for having the AUDACITY of considering both sides, well that makes me (based on comments from others here):

1)  Guilty of calling Buzz a liar
2)  Guilty of only believing the Newbill camp
3)  Not a fan of Marquette basketball

etc, etc

It's all or nothing with some of you people. 

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #149 on: August 10, 2010, 09:53:46 PM »
Nothing to do with being righteous, but doing what is right...as in MU should do what is right in these cases.  I, alone, do not hold that view but rather many do.  If you want to single one person out, that's fine, it's your dime.

There are many possibilities with this issue, which I've said many times.  The answer is somewhere, likely, in the middle.  All I've said is I'm not going to buy the MU version as if it's gospel and I certainly am not going to dismiss this kid, his family, etc as liars.  For doing that, for having the AUDACITY of considering both sides, well that makes me (based on comments from others here):

1)  Guilty of calling Buzz a liar
2)  Guilty of only believing the Newbill camp
3)  Not a fan of Marquette basketball

etc, etc

It's all or nothing with some of you people. 

My questions included:

Why are you dwelling on this topic so heavily?

Are you trying to each everyone a lesson?

...and I asked if you think you know the facts, to let me know what they are.

Your reply didn't help to answer any of those.  You suggested that you have no clue what the facts are, which only begs an answer to the first question even more.