[May 16, 2024, 06:05:43 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Jay Bee
[May 16, 2024, 04:26:22 PM]

Home and Home with Maryland by MU82
[May 16, 2024, 04:15:33 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Mr. Nielsen
[May 16, 2024, 01:11:29 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Marquette allowing 59.8% of 2-pointers - 9th worst in country  (Read 5764 times)

auburnmarquette

• Team Captain
    • Value Add Explaination
Marquette allowing 59.8% of 2-pointers - 9th worst in country
« on: November 27, 2017, 10:52:56 PM »
According to www.kenpom.com, only these 8 teams are worse at stopping 2-pointers than Marquette. Our opponents are hitting 59.8% of all 2-pointers taken,

The Citadel   SC   64
Furman   SC   63.3
Texas A&M Corpus Chris   Slnd   62.5
Mount St. Mary's   NEC   61.4
Tennessee St.   OVC   60.9
Southern Utah   BSky   60.7
Northern Arizona   BSky   60.6
Samford   SC   60.4
Marquette   BE   59.8
http://www.pudnersports.com/ for my blogs or articles and www.valueaddbasketball.com for for current and historic rankings.

Daniel

• All American
Re: Marquette allowing 59.8% of 2-pointers - 9th worst in country
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 11:22:29 PM »
We really don’t stop much - 2s or 3s.  Our defense is AWOL. We have very little of it after 3 plus years. 

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 11:44:26 PM »
We really don’t stop much - 2s or 3s.  Our defense is AWOL. We have very little of it after 3 plus years.

Sad and really hard to believe

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2017, 12:57:24 AM »
Someone with a KP subscription could probably tell you more but I think we have been decent at defending the three. Check out our 3P defense in each game compared to the opponents season average:

MSM: 25% on 25 attempts vs. 29.3% on 31.4 attempts per game
PUR: 33.3% on 12 attempts vs. 44% on 23.7 attempts per game
VCU: 38.5% on 26 attempts vs. 38.3% on 23.5 attempts per game
WSU: 31.6% on 19 attempts vs. 36% on 20.4 attempts per game
LSU: 31.8% on 22 attempts 37.5% on 20.8 attempts per game
EIU: 31.6% on 19 attempts vs. 38% on 21.6 attempts per game

So we held opponents to a lower 3P% in every game except for one....which they exceeded their average by .02 %. We also held 4/6 opponents to less attempts from outside than they typically average.

Too small of a sample size to be definitive, but it tells me that our three point defense is better this season, which is key in today's game that values outside shooting. Theoretically this could work with our offense. You score two, we'll score three. But the 2 point defense is embarrassing. That has to be fixed if we ever hope to be a ranked team again.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2017, 01:14:46 AM »
Someone with a KP subscription could probably tell you more but I think we have been decent at defending the three. Check out our 3P defense in each game compared to the opponents season average:

MSM: 25% on 25 attempts vs. 29.3% on 31.4 attempts per game
PUR: 33.3% on 12 attempts vs. 44% on 23.7 attempts per game
VCU: 38.5% on 26 attempts vs. 38.3% on 23.5 attempts per game
WSU: 31.6% on 19 attempts vs. 36% on 20.4 attempts per game
LSU: 31.8% on 22 attempts 37.5% on 20.8 attempts per game
EIU: 31.6% on 19 attempts vs. 38% on 21.6 attempts per game

So we held opponents to a lower 3P% in every game except for one....which they exceeded their average by .02 %. We also held 4/6 opponents to less attempts from outside than they typically average.

Too small of a sample size to be definitive, but it tells me that our three point defense is better this season, which is key in today's game that values outside shooting. Theoretically this could work with our offense. You score two, we'll score three. But the 2 point defense is embarrassing. That has to be fixed if we ever hope to be a ranked team again.

MU is #101 in defending the three. Mediocre.

Honestly, this was stated a point of emphasis of the coaching staff who stresses accountability.  Four years in, and there are glaring issues with this scheme. No excuses about it.

On the other hand, this offense is really fun and exciting. 

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2017, 06:39:31 AM »
MU is #101 in defending the three. Mediocre.

Honestly, this was stated a point of emphasis of the coaching staff who stresses accountability.  Four years in, and there are glaring issues with this scheme. No excuses about it.

I think that's a bit unfair.  MU was #274 defending the three last year.  Much better this year.  It's the 2pt defense that's killing us, #343 (worse than last year #225).  Despite all this, our overall defense so far is marginally better at #137 vs #165.  There's a the chance that Heldt and John improve, and Froling helps all those numbers.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2017, 08:09:16 AM »
They are small and by and large slow footed on the perimeter and don't have a true rim protecting post player who can't stay out of foul trouble.  The quicker perimeter defenders aren't great offensive players and/or are still lacking in strength.  The outcome is predictable. 

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2017, 08:15:16 AM »
They are small and by and large slow footed on the perimeter and don't have a true rim protecting post player who can't stay out of foul trouble.  The quicker perimeter defenders aren't great offensive players and/or are still lacking in strength.  The outcome is predictable.

So, MU doesn't have the players to fit the scheme.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2017, 08:24:41 AM »

Clearly.  Although I am not convinced that scheme is the issue.  Sure they could pack it in, but would that create more 3 point opportunities?  What does that do to their offense?

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2017, 08:32:31 AM »
Comparing our current rankings to the season total last year is probably a bit misleading. Our OOC schedule is better than usual this year, but it still doesn't compare to the Big East level of competition. And this is probably true for other schools around the country as well. That stats we're seeing in November are probably not all that indicative of what we'll see all year long.

Looking at the fact that we're one of the worst teams at defending the 2 is a big point of concern, though. If we're allowing 60% of 2 pt shots to fall, we're going to get slaughtered against high level players with solid coaching in conference. Wojo and crew really, really need to buckle down on defensive game planning. Last night was embarrassing.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2017, 08:54:40 AM »
Comparing our current rankings to the season total last year is probably a bit misleading. Our OOC schedule is better than usual this year, but it still doesn't compare to the Big East level of competition. And this is probably true for other schools around the country as well. That stats we're seeing in November are probably not all that indicative of what we'll see all year long.

Looking at the fact that we're one of the worst teams at defending the 2 is a big point of concern, though. If we're allowing 60% of 2 pt shots to fall, we're going to get slaughtered against high level players with solid coaching in conference. Wojo and crew really, really need to buckle down on defensive game planning. Last night was embarrassing.

Those numbers adjust for the strength of your opponent.  It doesn't matter which team played the tougher schedule
TAMU

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2017, 09:33:47 AM »

In year four.  This is a problem.  Adjust the scheme. Coaches need to adapt to the talent on-hand, no? I mean, that's what coaching is about. 

Boozemon Barro

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2017, 09:35:45 AM »
All the other team needs to do is run a pick and roll with whoever Heldt is defending. For some reason the defensive strategy is to have Heldt hedge hard every time. Heldt is painfully slow, so it takes him forever to recover from the hedge. This puts everyone else out of position as they need to help on the roll too long, and it's usually one easy pass for an open shot. Theo John needs to play more. While his foul rate is high, he is a much quicker and stronger defender. He can't be any worse on the offensive end either.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2017, 10:07:00 AM »
I need to check but I'm pretty sure we're defending the pick and roll well this season, at least compared to last season. I think where we've struggled is on isos, putbacks and post ups. I'll check synergy later
TAMU

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2017, 10:17:07 AM »
I need to check but I'm pretty sure we're defending the pick and roll well this season, at least compared to last season. I think where we've struggled is on isos, putbacks and post ups. I'll check synergy later

Does synergy account for putbacks that were made possible because the rolling player on the pick and roll has better position for the offensive rebound because his defender hedged the screen so aggressively?  I've been noticing this some the past few games where Heldt does a decent enough job getting back to his man, but his man is still in a better rebounding position than Heldt.

DCHoopster

• Team Captain
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2017, 10:17:21 AM »
Playing two undersized guards, neither is really quick,  a center slow afoot, Sam is not quick laterally, and at the 3, there all tiny.  What do you expect.  I expect Wojo
to recruit bigger players, that might help.  Even next year, where is Sam playing as Morrow will start.  Sam will be the 3 but he is better going against centers who do
not come out of the paint or a 4 that is slower than him.  It will be interesting.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2017, 10:29:12 AM »
Bring in a veteran assistant TODAY.   Start over with a new scheme on defense. 

https://jmusports.com/coaches.aspx?rc=559&path=mbball

Ooh, it even has his phone number.  Let's give him a jingle.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2017, 10:32:38 AM »

He retired after last year.  Which means he's available.  But it also means the phone number isn't good.

BTW, to verify this, I went to his Wikipedia page and found this rather sad entry:  "He also recruited Dwyane Wade at Marquette, but left the program a year before Wade came to Marquette."

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2017, 10:33:22 AM »

Bring him Crean and KO in and then schedule a game against V Tech?
Maigh Eo for Sam

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2017, 10:40:31 AM »
In year four.  This is a problem.  Adjust the scheme. Coaches need to adapt to the talent on-hand, no? I mean, that's what coaching is about.
this is my thought...it looks to me like they are running duke's defense without the length and athleticism of duke...and it hasn't worked for four years.  all that said...i don't know enough to know what that would look like to the program.  does it mean the offense slows down?  slower pace = same amount of losses for different reasons?  recruiting to play that style is difficult, and you're selling kids on a style that you'd like to run in the future vs. what they see now.  there are a lot of things i can change for the positive in my profession, but i also know that those changes are going to have negative consequences in other areas that are going to result in a net loss. 

i LOVE winning, and have a great respect for the TB at UVA from a pure fundamental basketball approach, but that UVA/UW game was even difficult for me to watch. 

Hubert Davis

• Starter
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2017, 10:41:51 AM »
Look at the company we're in! Tennessee St. Coppin State, Mother Mary or the poor. What a disgrace. This is year 4 and the squad still can't play a lick of defense. Teams go into games with Marquette knowing they'll be able to score at will, especially in the paint. There's no excuse for that, especially in year 4 of your tenure. The "rebuilding" excuse is OVA...

Come on, Wojo. What the hell is going on......   

DienerTime34

• All American
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2017, 10:54:10 AM »
Look at the company we're in! Tennessee St. Coppin State, Mother Mary or the poor. What a disgrace. This is year 4 and the squad still can't play a lick of defense. Teams go into games with Marquette knowing they'll be able to score at will, especially in the paint. There's no excuse for that, especially in year 4 of your tenure. The "rebuilding" excuse is OVA...

Come on, Wojo. What the hell is going on......

Imagine what the numbers would be if they included the Lindenwood debacle.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2017, 11:22:17 AM »
I hate to rile folks up more but last night was our second best 2FG% defensive game of the year.  Only the VCU game was better defending the paint.

We got that going for us. 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2017, 01:12:57 PM »
Playing Howard and Rowsey at the same time is a defensive nightmare. Especially with this scheme. This is where losing HC will hurt the most. They will have to be on the floor together almost constantly now.
TAMU

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2017, 01:25:19 PM »
When we hired Wojo, my first thought was that at least we'd learn to play solid D.

On second thought....