[Today at 10:20:49 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[Today at 09:15:16 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Guards  (Read 5281 times)

Aircraftcarrier

• Team Captain
Guards
« on: March 06, 2019, 07:47:33 PM »
It is a guards game and MU has only one that can compete at this level.The one we have is not a point guard.MU needs a point guard to control the game. Symir needs to reclassify.

tower912

• All American
Re: Guards
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2019, 07:54:10 PM »
GE, Koby and Akanno will be here next year.    This was discussed as a potential problem 10 months ago.   Grimes said no, GE got hurt, and Chartouny didn't pan out.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2019, 07:55:21 PM »
It's kinda reminding me of the year Travis got hurt.

YoungMUFan4

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2019, 08:08:28 PM »
GE, Koby and Akanno will be here next year.    This was discussed as a potential problem 10 months ago.   Grimes said no, GE got hurt, and Chartouny didn't pan out.

Are any of them true PGs? More <> Better

Afroman

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2019, 08:48:57 PM »

Akanno is not getting PT next year.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2019, 09:11:47 PM »
Probably not.   Which is the same reason I do not want to see Symir re-classify, unless Sacar grad transfers and Markus declares for the draft.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2019, 09:15:39 PM »
Probably not.   Which is the same reason I do not want to see Symir re-classify, unless Sacar grad transfers and Markus declares for the draft.

I would like to see MU recruit a grad transfer that can play above the rim with some quickness.  Sam would be that much better, if the other forward could do some
of things he can not.  Joey right now is not the answer.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2019, 09:18:09 PM »
It's kinda reminding me of the year Travis got hurt.

Who got hurt this year? GE isn't Travis Diener, and we were 23-4 three games ago. 58 turnovers in 3 games, three total collapses down the stretch.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2019, 09:20:22 PM »
Are any of them true PGs? More <> Better

I don't think so.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2019, 09:22:49 PM »
I don't know what "true PG" means but Koby was the starting PG for Utah State. He shared the point with another high scoring shooting PG in Sam Merrill. Could mean that he will know how to play well with a player like Markus.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2019, 09:28:09 PM »
Cmon guys please

We talked all offseason about how Chartouney was coming to save the day. Then we discussed Greg Elliot being a great backup

Then Markus Howard just played the 1 all season and we over achieved. I know he’s not a pg but give it a rest. The team is better with him handling the ball.

They keep showing the stats about 14 to pg leading the BE and the last several games have been brutal but what they don’t show is what happens when the ball isn’t in Markus hands.
Sacar did well today
Chartouney couldn’t even get off the bench w MH out.

I’m not saying Markus is a pg, I’m saying this team was beyond fine without a traditional one. Same would go for next yr so pls knock it off

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2019, 11:01:30 PM »
Markus is a great guard. Next year we will have Koby, a true point guard  and a healthy Greg  who is a Big East Battle tested combo guard.  Sacar is more than capable in the role he is asked to plaay and Sam is a very good 2 when called upon in that role. Our guards will be fine next year.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Boone

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2019, 11:17:05 PM »
McEwen is NOT a true PG.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2019, 11:17:54 PM »
Markus is a great guard. Next year we will have Koby, a true point guard  and a healthy Greg  who is a Big East Battle tested combo guard.  Sacar is more than capable in the role he is asked to plaay and Sam is a very good 2 when called upon in that role. Our guards will be fine next year.

Markus is a great guard- yes
Koby is a true pg- not from what I’ve seen. He seems more like Markus and I’m ok w that. What’s ‘more like markus’- a scorer, a baller.
Greg BE battle tested combo- no. He played his freshman yr.
Sacar capable, Sam very good- yes

Honestly if Markus sticks around this team has a wealth of riches, but a point guard is not one. Who gives a crape though?? Markus, Kobe, Sam, Sacar, Joey plus whoever else emerges will be able to handle the scoring. Someone will be able to handle the ball. Theo, Sam, Joey, Ed plus everyone else will be able to handle the defense.

That’s an elite team, who cares about the point? Point guard no matta and we showed that this yr

Aircraftcarrier

• Team Captain
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2019, 06:00:17 AM »
Ball handling is a big problem on this team.You guys are dreaming if you think it is not.The staff was going to take Nico and they will take Symir if he wants to reclassify.The staff knows they have a problem.Even with Elliott and Koby that is not enough.MU has made great strides this year and we all want the next step.The next step does not happen without elite players.Some people on this board were glad Nico went to AZ because he would screw up chemistry because of a log jam.That is crazy talk.Look at Kentucky.Cal had Green coming back at point and signed Quickley.That did not stop him from taking Hagans in the Spring.The best players play.This is High major BBall.If McEwen is capable ball handler which we all hope he is that is great.What happens if he gets hurt,MU is in same position as this year.Take Symir if he wants to reclassify
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 07:11:10 AM by Aircraftcarrier »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2019, 06:41:06 AM »
I would like to see MU recruit a grad transfer that can play above the rim with some quickness.  Sam would be that much better, if the other forward could do some
of things he can not.  Joey right now is not the answer.
Because there are so many of those just waiting to be grabbed.

MU86NC

• Starter
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2019, 08:04:21 AM »
Markus is a great guard- yes
Koby is a true pg- not from what I’ve seen. He seems more like Markus and I’m ok w that. What’s ‘more like markus’- a scorer, a baller.
Greg BE battle tested combo- no. He played his freshman yr.
Sacar capable, Sam very good- yes

Honestly if Markus sticks around this team has a wealth of riches, but a point guard is not one. Who gives a crape though?? Markus, Kobe, Sam, Sacar, Joey plus whoever else emerges will be able to handle the scoring. Someone will be able to handle the ball. Theo, Sam, Joey, Ed plus everyone else will be able to handle the defense.

That’s an elite team, who cares about the point? Point guard no matta and we showed that this yr

Point guards matters.....

tower912

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2019, 08:22:15 AM »
https://www.sltrib.com/sports/utah-state-sports/2018/03/31/utah-state-star-point-guard-koby-mcewen-will-transfer-in-the-wake-of-new-coaching-hire/

Says here that Koby is a PG.    Just sayin'.     But who sits next year if Koby starts at the point?    5 starters back. 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2019, 08:33:29 AM »
https://www.sltrib.com/sports/utah-state-sports/2018/03/31/utah-state-star-point-guard-koby-mcewen-will-transfer-in-the-wake-of-new-coaching-hire/

Says here that Koby is a PG.    Just sayin'.     But who sits next year if Koby starts at the point?    5 starters back.

If we were deciding right now, I would guess Joey, roll out a starting lineup of Markus, Koby, Sacar, Sam, and Theo with Joey being quick off the bench.

The other question is, if what Wojo said was true and Greg was playing well enough to start, do both of them get entered into the starting lineup? I don't know, but the prospect of trading Joe and Matt for Koby and Greg is exciting.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2019, 09:06:07 AM »
Wears Cheesy tellin' us Herro coulda helped, hey
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2019, 11:40:34 AM »
Wears Cheesy tellin' us Herro coulda helped, hey

You are unbelievably obsessed with this as a topic.

Is everyone else that has spoken about Herro incorrect in that he was always going blue blood? Is there info you have that everyone else is missing?

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2019, 11:47:16 AM »
If we were deciding right now, I would guess Joey, roll out a starting lineup of Markus, Koby, Sacar, Sam, and Theo with Joey being quick off the bench.

The other question is, if what Wojo said was true and Greg was playing well enough to start, do both of them get entered into the starting lineup? I don't know, but the prospect of trading Joe and Matt for Koby and Greg is exciting.

I agree with that line-up.  The only possible change is if Joey really improves, it looks right now, that he has a confidence issue.  Has to improve in all facets of his game,
has to get in the weight room and get stronger.  Needs to be able to finish a dunk that he tried last night.  I wonder if his foot is totally healed?  Learn how to pass, I
am sure he never passed to much in high school.  Losing all last year did not help.  I expect a big jump next year with him.  I could also see Joey play center and play
like the Bucks, might be interesting.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2019, 11:49:12 AM »
I am not as obsessed about a big for next year as some others because I think that a front line of Sam, Joey, and Bailey/Cain for stretches would be big enough.     Ike is the wild card.   

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2019, 11:56:55 AM »
I am not as obsessed about a big for next year as some others because I think that a front line of Sam, Joey, and Bailey/Cain for stretches would be big enough.     Ike is the wild card.

I would say Ike may never play again, and if he can, what can you expect.  He has bee out for 2 years.  Bailey and Cain are built like 2 guards, like to somebody with
a little muscle.  Lockett type,  Lazar Hayward,  Bob Lackey for the old timers.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2019, 12:00:52 PM »
Lockett and Lazar did not play above the rim.    And Sacar, physically, is the same size as Lockett and Lazar.     McEwen is 6'3.5 and 200.   Averaged 15/5/5 as a sophomore.     I agree Ike may never play again.    But I haven't officially given up yet. 

feedback