'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: It only gets worse for Bucky  (Read 139142 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: It only gets worse for Bucky
« Reply #575 on: March 01, 2018, 10:24:24 AM »
I get a kick out of the folks on this board who think Wojo is just fine and preach patience, but Gard should be fired.  Wake me up when Wojo makes two Sweet 16's. 

Gard and Wisconsin's future outlook is not nearly as bad as many on this board want to believe.  They will probably be back in the tournament next season unless they get hammered with injuries again or Happ moves on.  And Happ isn't going to transfer and I don't see how he gets draft, so he'll be probably be back.

Wojo would've been to 2 Sweet 16s if he was left with Happ, Koenig, and Hayes too.  The trajectory of UW since Gard took over has been straight down.  The trajectory of Marquette since Wojo took over has been up.  The two situations aren't remotely comparable.

Pretending that injuries are the reason that they had a bad season this year is a joke.  If you're relying on D'Mitrik Trice and a freshman Kobe King to be your difference makers, well, that tells you everything you need to know about where the program stands.  Kobe King might end up having a decent career for the Badgers, but he's certainly far from great right now.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #576 on: March 01, 2018, 10:27:01 AM »
I get a kick out of the folks on this board who think Wojo is just fine and preach patience, but Gard should be fired.  Wake me up when Wojo makes two Sweet 16's. 

Gard and Wisconsin's future outlook is not nearly as bad as many on this board want to believe.  They will probably be back in the tournament next season unless they get hammered with injuries again or Happ moves on.  And Happ isn't going to transfer and I don't see how he gets draft, so he'll be probably be back.

Happ probably won't be drafted next year either.  He has no outside shot and isn't an athletic rebounder & rim protector.  Happ doesn't fit the modern NBA.  So, the question is, does Happ want to add an extra year of earning power to the beginning of his overseas career or stay in college?  If college, does Happ want to stay at Wisconsin (a bubble team) or grad transfer to a team with a higher ceiling?

I have no idea what is in Happ's mind but all three scenarios are plausible and whatever he chooses wouldn't surprise me.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #577 on: March 01, 2018, 10:31:52 AM »
If Happ comes back (likely IMHO), they have no significant injuries, and no significant defections they could be back in the tourney next season.

I wouldn't put money on it but it's not the craziest idea.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GrimmReaper33

• Starter
« Reply #578 on: March 01, 2018, 10:55:18 AM »
Wojo would've been to 2 Sweet 16s if he was left with Happ, Koenig, and Hayes too.  The trajectory of UW since Gard took over has been straight down.  The trajectory of Marquette since Wojo took over has been up.  The two situations aren't remotely comparable.

Pretending that injuries are the reason that they had a bad season this year is a joke.  If you're relying on D'Mitrik Trice and a freshman Kobe King to be your difference makers, well, that tells you everything you need to know about where the program stands.  Kobe King might end up having a decent career for the Badgers, but he's certainly far from great right now.

When Gard took over the team they were under .500 believe and he led them into the tourney and to the Sweet 16.  I don't know how that is going straight down?  They lost 4 starting Seniors whose careers included 2 final fours and 2 sweet sixteens, and then played the majority of their season without their starting PG and 6th man.  Please lay out the non Dukes, Kentuckys, and Kansas' who wouldn't have a down season from that.

If there was a grad transfer PG available who was the 6th man on a Sweet 16 team and shot 40% from three, how many times would he be mentioned as someone MU should target on here?  That's what Trice was his one full season, and I'm not even a big fan on his.  King is going to be a very good player.  I would take UW's current Freshmen class over MU's and I like our Freshmen.  Davison, King, and Reuvers all have talent.

Not saying they are going back to a Final Four anytime soon but their demise by so many on here is quite the exaggeration, especially considering the lack of what Wojo and MU have accomplished the past 5 years.

MUBBau

• Team Captain
« Reply #579 on: March 01, 2018, 11:03:01 AM »
When Gard took over the team they were under .500 believe and he led them into the tourney and to the Sweet 16.  I don't know how that is going straight down?  They lost 4 starting Seniors whose careers included 2 final fours and 2 sweet sixteens, and then played the majority of their season without their starting PG and 6th man.  Please lay out the non Dukes, Kentuckys, and Kansas' who wouldn't have a down season from that.

If there was a grad transfer PG available who was the 6th man on a Sweet 16 team and shot 40% from three, how many times would he be mentioned as someone MU should target on here?  That's what Trice was his one full season, and I'm not even a big fan on his.  King is going to be a very good player.  I would take UW's current Freshmen class over MU's and I like our Freshmen.  Davison, King, and Reuvers all have talent.

Not saying they are going back to a Final Four anytime soon but their demise by so many on here is quite the exaggeration, especially considering the lack of what Wojo and MU have accomplished the past 5 years.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #580 on: March 01, 2018, 11:07:08 AM »
Trice's freshman season is a bit deceiving.  He was red hot in the non-con but his B1G numbers were awful: 34.4% FG and 31.7% 3FG.  He'll be better than trotting out a walk-on but I don't think he's all that great.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #581 on: March 01, 2018, 11:43:00 AM »
I would take UW's current Freshmen class over MU's

I would disagree.  Davison's a one trick pony with his flopping that refs and badger fans have already figured out and are getting tired of.  Reuvers should have red shirted, don't know his ceiling until he puts on some weight.  King has the highest potential of the class, but coming back from knee surgery is always tricky.

Theo may not have the outside shooting that Reuvers has, but is miles ahead physically and is a better post player.  Both Greg and Jamal are better than Davison defensively and both have a higher ceiling offensively.  Ike and King are both question marks that cancel each other out.  King has a higher ceiling, but at this point we have pretty much seen the same things from them, nothing.  Its not a bad class for UW, certainly better than the last two classes they've had, but I'd take ousr 7 days a week.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #582 on: March 01, 2018, 11:44:33 AM »
I would disagree.  Davison's a one trick pony with his flopping that refs and badger fans have already figured out and are getting tired of.  Reuvers should have red shirted, don't know his ceiling until he puts on some weight.  King has the highest potential of the class, but coming back from knee surgery is always tricky.

Theo may not have the outside shooting that Reuvers has, but is miles ahead physically and is a better post player.  Both Greg and Jamal are better than Davison defensively and both have a higher ceiling offensively.  Ike and King are both question marks that cancel each other out.  King has a higher ceiling, but at this point we have pretty much seen the same things from them, nothing.  Its not a bad class for UW, certainly better than the last two classes they've had, but I'd take ousr 7 days a week.

I would take MU's class but UW's is solid. King is going to be good. Davison is a good shot maker already and will only improve. Reuvers has skill, needs to get a lot bigger.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #583 on: March 01, 2018, 12:09:05 PM »
I would take MU's class but UW's is solid. King is going to be good. Davison is a good shot maker already and will only improve. Reuvers has skill, needs to get a lot bigger.
King has potential but anyone who has only played 10 games, and is coming off knee surgery has to be considered a question mark.
If I were to rank the combined classes in terms of potential it would be:
1) Jamal
2) Kobe
3) Greg
4) Davison
5) Theo
6)Reuvers
7)Ike
8) McGory a long ways off from Ike

Overall I'd give MU the edge, although as I said UW doesn't have a bad class, its better than both of the previous two years.  Also if we're looking at overall projection for the programs our incoming class is better than theirs and its not even close.  I expect us to beat them at least the next two years.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 12:12:46 PM by Its DJOver »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #584 on: March 01, 2018, 12:21:46 PM »

I think Davison has looked pretty good throughout the season.  Inconsistent as a freshman, but he will be a solid four year guy for them.  I mean, he just dropped 30 against MSU on Sunday.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #585 on: March 01, 2018, 12:28:07 PM »

I think Davison has looked pretty good throughout the season.  Inconsistent as a freshman, but he will be a solid four year guy for them.  I mean, he just dropped 30 against MSU on Sunday.
I think his scoring will pretty much stay the same next year, but his minutes will be down slightly with Trice and King back, his efficiency will go up, because of this.  He'll probably be better than I made him sound initially,  I just can't stand his flopping.  I would still take Greg over him.

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #586 on: March 01, 2018, 12:32:57 PM »
It would be just like Wisconsin (or any other team in any other sport I don't like) to stink all year and go and win the Big Ten Tournament to get into the NCAA and keep their damn streak alive.  I'm probably 50-50 that they'll do it.  It sure would be nice to put the final nail in the coffin in the next hour.  Let's go Maryland.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #587 on: March 01, 2018, 12:33:19 PM »
He's a prick but I'd take Davison on my team every damn day.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #588 on: March 01, 2018, 12:34:45 PM »
He's a prick but I'd take Davison on my team every damn day.
Over who on our current roster?

Shark

• All American
« Reply #589 on: March 01, 2018, 12:35:23 PM »
It would be just like Wisconsin (or any other team in any other sport I don't like) to stink all year and go and win the Big Ten Tournament to get into the NCAA and keep their damn streak alive.  I'm probably 50-50 that they'll do it.  It sure would be nice to put the final nail in the coffin in the next hour.  Let's go Maryland.

Don't we want them to beat Maryland to completely ice them out of the bubble and boost our win a little?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #590 on: March 01, 2018, 12:36:43 PM »
I think his scoring will pretty much stay the same next year, but his minutes will be down slightly with Trice and King back, his efficiency will go up, because of this.  He'll probably be better than I made him sound initially,  I just can't stand his flopping.  I would still take Greg over him.

I would take Greg over him too.  But you called him a "one trick pony."  I think he's more complete than that.

And I wouldn't take him over anyone on our roster right now.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #591 on: March 01, 2018, 12:40:23 PM »

I would take Greg over him too.  But you called him a "one trick pony."  I think he's more complete than that.

And I wouldn't take him over anyone on our roster right now.
One trick pony was a bad choice of words, but you know that you flop a lot when badger fans are starting to notice it too.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #592 on: March 01, 2018, 12:45:19 PM »
They haven't given up and they've actually progressed as the season went along.  Before they won 4 out of 5 and fought hard vs MSU, I think you could have made a case for firing Gard but now I think he's shown he can keep and team and help it improve.

They should be back to being respectable.  However losing Sam, Joey & Herro will cost them the big NCAA success that they enjoyed from 2014-17. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #593 on: March 01, 2018, 12:50:04 PM »
They haven't given up and they've actually progressed as the season went along.  Before they won 4 out of 5 and fought hard vs MSU, I think you could have made a case for firing Gard but now I think he's shown he can keep and team and help it improve.

They should be back to being respectable.  However losing Sam, Joey & Herro will cost them the big NCAA success that they enjoyed from 2014-17. 
They've benefited from a weakened B14.  Purdue was a big win, but Illinois, Northwestern and Minnesota aren't exactly tearing it up this year either.  Next year I predict NIT if Happ stays, no postseason if he leaves, but it also depends on how much other B14 teams improve/ regress from this year to next.  I don't follow the B14 close enough to know much about this. 

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #594 on: March 01, 2018, 01:26:11 PM »
They've benefited from a weakened B14.  Purdue was a big win, but Illinois, Northwestern and Minnesota aren't exactly tearing it up this year either.  Next year I predict NIT if Happ stays, no postseason if he leaves, but it also depends on how much other B14 teams improve/ regress from this year to next.  I don't follow the B14 close enough to know much about this.

Completely agree that competition is soft...but that's life in the Big Ten.  No reason to think it will change next season.  It's a watered down league.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #595 on: March 01, 2018, 01:29:42 PM »

If they play anything like they did today, MSU will dismantle them tomorrow.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #596 on: March 01, 2018, 03:10:18 PM »
I saw a team today that will be much improved next year.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #597 on: March 01, 2018, 03:28:01 PM »
I saw a team today that will be much improved next year.

Yep. It stinks, but I don't think UW will be down for long.

PLEASE GOD PLEASE GOD DO NOT LET THEM WIN THE BIG TEN TOURNAMENT AMEN.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #598 on: March 01, 2018, 03:34:31 PM »
Yep. It stinks, but I don't think UW will be down for long.

PLEASE GOD PLEASE GOD DO NOT LET THEM WIN THE BIG TEN TOURNAMENT AMEN.

There is a real fear that a 15-17 (8-11) team will win its conference tourney?  Has a sub-.500 team ever won a power conference tourney?

And, I'll say it again ... if a sub.500 team does win it, they get three bids (Bucky plus two more) as the B1G is a freaking mid-major conference.

Does anyone think St. Johns can win the BE conference?

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #599 on: March 01, 2018, 03:36:46 PM »
There is a real fear that a 15-17 (8-11) team will win its conference tourney?  Has a sub-.500 team ever won a power conference tourney?

And, I'll say it again ... if a sub.500 team does win it, they get three bids (Bucky plus two more) as the B1G is a freaking mid-major conference.

Does anyone think St. Johns can win the BE conference?

Georgia was 13-16 entering the 2008 SEC tournament and they won. Got a 14 seed in the tourney.