[May 09, 2024, 08:12:51 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[May 09, 2024, 04:40:58 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 09, 2024, 02:42:00 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 09, 2024, 12:49:34 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: It only gets worse for Bucky  (Read 139063 times)

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
Re: It only gets worse for Bucky
« Reply #475 on: February 01, 2018, 09:34:02 PM »
Nerds rule

Fred Garvin

• All American
« Reply #476 on: February 01, 2018, 09:34:45 PM »
Solid 52 point performance  tonight for becky

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #477 on: February 01, 2018, 09:36:59 PM »
Pritzl 0-11 from the field lol
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

cheese ball chaser

• All American
« Reply #478 on: February 01, 2018, 09:50:20 PM »
At least the Badgers suck

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #479 on: February 01, 2018, 10:33:23 PM »
They are on a four-game losing streak

Their last seven
(probability of winning is from http://www.barttorvik.com/teamcast.php?team=Wisconsin&year=2018)

@ MD 2/4 (17%)
@ ILL 2/8 (32%)
vs 24 MICH 2/11 (30%)
vs 3 PUR 2/15 (11%)
vs MINN 2/19 (38%)
@ NW 2/22 (27%)
vs 5 MSU 2/25 (16%)

They are not favored in any of the remaining games.

0-11 to finish a 10-21 season.

At this point, the only question is if Gard is fired before the season ends.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #480 on: February 01, 2018, 10:45:40 PM »
This site allows you to play with scenarios.

http://www.barttorvik.com/teamcast.php?team=Wisconsin&year=2018

If Bucky loses the next seven, as they are expected to do, MU is the fourth team out of the NCAA tourney (Bucky is 123 out ... boy do I like writing this!!)

But, if Bucky wins out their next 7 (yes, not happening), it raises Mu's SoS enough that we are in the NCAA tourney (instead of 4th out).  Bucky goes from 123 out to 18th out.

Damm you Bucky, you are like toxic sludge, you infect everyone that plays you and makes them worse!!!

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #481 on: February 01, 2018, 10:52:56 PM »
This site allows you to play with scenarios.

http://www.barttorvik.com/teamcast.php?team=Wisconsin&year=2018

If Bucky loses the next seven, as they are expected to do, MU is the fourth team out of the NCAA tourney (Bucky is 123 out ... boy do I like writing this!!)

But, if Bucky wins out their next 7 (yes, not happening), it raises Mu's SoS enough that we are in the NCAA tourney (instead of 4th out).  Bucky goes from 123 out to 18th out.

Damm you Bucky, you are like toxic sludge, you infect everyone that plays you and makes them worse!!!

We need to stop playing those mid-major Ivy wannabes.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #482 on: February 02, 2018, 08:26:51 AM »
Nobal Days has a really unique, weird stat line. Something like 9 PPG, 14 RPG, 6 APG, 4 BPG, 2 SPG, 3.5 TO, and really poor shooting splits. 43% FG 60%-ish FT and 4-17 3 FG at last check.

Those stats tell me Days is very raw offensively. Might be a roll player but not a star. So Days is way down my list.

Aside from the awesome rebounding number, the stat that jumped out at me was 6 assists for a big man.  From that and the turnover and poor shooting, I'm guessing that he is regularly double and occasionally triple teamed.  Truly good players find a way to overcome that, but he may not be as hapless as his shooting stats would normally indicate.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #483 on: February 02, 2018, 08:42:18 AM »
People talk about Gard getting fired as a good thing for Wisconsin, but the system that Bo installed and that has been continued by Gard has given Wisconsin basketball a tremendous amount of sucess for a program of its stature.  Yes, they are bad this year - they have a poor junior class and Gard swung and missed on 2018, so they'll suffer for a while, but if they get rid of Gard for a new coach, the nature of the program will likely change and there is no guarantee that Wisconsin will be as competitive running a more traditional type program.  The smart move might be to provide Gard with the time to rebuild while continuing with Bo's design for the program.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #484 on: February 02, 2018, 08:53:47 AM »
People talk about Gard getting fired as a good thing for Wisconsin, but the system that Bo installed and that has been continued by Gard has given Wisconsin basketball a tremendous amount of sucess for a program of its stature.  Yes, they are bad this year - they have a poor junior class and Gard swung and missed on 2018, so they'll suffer for a while, but if they get rid of Gard for a new coach, the nature of the program will likely change and there is no guarantee that Wisconsin will be as competitive running a more traditional type program.  The smart move might be to provide Gard with the time to rebuild while continuing with Bo's design for the program.

It's certainly the smart thing to do....but I would never accuse a Badger fan of being such a thing.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #485 on: February 02, 2018, 09:10:16 AM »
It's certainly the smart thing to do....but I would never accuse a Badger fan of being such a thing.

I'd give him one more year chalking this partly up to injury.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #486 on: February 02, 2018, 09:22:34 AM »
I'd give him one more year chalking this partly up to injury.

I’d agree in normal circumstances. However, based on the events leading to his hire and Barry’s ego, I’m not so sure.

I think he gets one more year. He did coach them to two Sweet Sixteens. Granted, he had a ton of seasoned veterans on those teams.

DCHoopster

• Team Captain
« Reply #487 on: February 02, 2018, 09:43:06 AM »
I’d agree in normal circumstances. However, based on the events leading to his hire and Barry’s ego, I’m not so sure.

I think he gets one more year. He did coach them to two Sweet Sixteens. Granted, he had a ton of seasoned veterans on those teams.

I do not know how much better they will be next year due to the fact no one knows what Happ will do?  With the 2 injuries to 2 decent players he will have a pass
for a year and if he can recruit some kids the following year he might get another pass.  If Happ leaves they will be bad, not sure who will be at the center position.

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #488 on: February 02, 2018, 10:00:09 AM »

Interesting how much grace many of our fans give to Wojo, yet think Gard with two Sweet 16 appearances should get fired after 1 bad season, that has been gutted with injuries.  We've yet to have a significant injury to ANY of our players under Wojo's tenure.  We just got blasted at home by Butler, down 30 points with 10 minutes left (in Year 4), and many don't feel the "seat" should even be at 1 degree Kelvin.

I see some improvement in Wojo as a coach, but he set a pretty low benchmark based on his coaching in Years 1 and 2.  Like the talent pipeline into the program, good kids, feel this year's team should be a SOLID NCAA caliber team, yet miss this year AND next year's team can't advance into round of 32 or 16?  Think ADMIN seriously needs to consider moving on.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #489 on: February 02, 2018, 11:24:52 AM »

The problem, is Badger fans think they can run out and hire Tony Bennett or someone else big.

I'm not besmirching the success of the Badger program, as much as I hate them, they've had a fantastic run over the last 15 years.  However, its not elevated them as they think.  Its still a viewed as a niche program, top recruits aren't running there, and they won't have the tractor beam pull on top candidates.  I think it will be like when Bielema left the football program.  They were talking Chris Peterson and other top tier names and they got Gary Anderson.  It turned out alright for them, but there is no high level coach in basketball thats the equivalent of Chryst for them, maybe Saul Phillips but thats a stretch and wouldn't be the sexy hire they think they have.

cheese ball chaser

• All American
« Reply #490 on: February 02, 2018, 11:32:18 AM »
Interesting how much grace many of our fans give to Wojo, yet think Gard with two Sweet 16 appearances should get fired after 1 bad season, that has been gutted with injuries.  We've yet to have a significant injury to ANY of our players under Wojo's tenure.  We just got blasted at home by Butler, down 30 points with 10 minutes left (in Year 4), and many don't feel the "seat" should even be at 1 degree Kelvin.

I see some improvement in Wojo as a coach, but he set a pretty low benchmark based on his coaching in Years 1 and 2.  Like the talent pipeline into the program, good kids, feel this year's team should be a SOLID NCAA caliber team, yet miss this year AND next year's team can't advance into round of 32 or 16?  Think ADMIN seriously needs to consider moving on.

Wojo's seat shouldn't be 1 degree Kelvin because it was just one game. There's a lot of basketball left to played. He got us into the tournament last year, which was the expectation. This year, the expectation should also be getting us into the tournament. And next year, there is a lot of talent coming in. If we miss the tournament next year than yes, Wojo's seat should warm up.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #491 on: February 02, 2018, 12:02:31 PM »

I personally don’t think Gard should be fired and should get at least one more year to prove he can recruit. I think Bo’s Favre-like retirement hurt their recruiting more than their fans want to admit. Granted, Gard has had some misses.

Herro leaving and the poor Hauser strategy is probably more the cause of the angst than their on the court performance. They could have wrote this off as injuries and big losses from graduation. The future isn’t super bright and Happ transferring would make it tough to see next year being any better.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #492 on: February 02, 2018, 12:53:24 PM »

I don't think many scoopers think he "should" get fired. But whether fair or not, the perception is that Barry Alvarez didn't want to hire Gard but was forced to because of how Bo left. So some believe the Alvarez is looking for any excuse to fire Gard. I have no idea if this is true or not.

I will say though that the difference between the Gard and Wojo situation is recruiting. With Wojo we have always been able to look ahead and say "with those recruits, next year looks better than this year." Gard on the other hand struck out big time on the 2018 class.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #493 on: February 02, 2018, 01:38:40 PM »
I'm as guilty as any of us, but until we actually win a game or two, we should probably stop posting on the demise of the Badgers.

At least wait until we get above .500 in conference, then fire away!
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 01:46:49 PM by 94Warrior »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #494 on: February 02, 2018, 02:20:14 PM »

We've known how you have felt for quite some time.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #495 on: February 02, 2018, 02:21:50 PM »

Bo's system only works if the coaching staff can impart the skills necessary to win.  Bo won everywhere he was because the dude could flat out coach.  He made good players better and made them play as a team.  If Gard can't do that, Bo's system is worthless.

slack00

• Starter
« Reply #496 on: February 02, 2018, 02:29:13 PM »
They are on a four-game losing streak

Their last seven
(probability of winning is from http://www.barttorvik.com/teamcast.php?team=Wisconsin&year=2018)

@ MD 2/4 (17%)
@ ILL 2/8 (32%)
vs 24 MICH 2/11 (30%)
vs 3 PUR 2/15 (11%)
vs MINN 2/19 (38%)
@ NW 2/22 (27%)
vs 5 MSU 2/25 (16%)

They are not favored in any of the remaining games.

0-11 to finish a 10-21 season.

At this point, the only question is if Gard is fired before the season ends.

Given those percentages, there's a 13% chance to go 0-7 in those games.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #497 on: February 02, 2018, 04:09:33 PM »
I'm as guilty as any of us, but until we actually win a game or two, we should probably stop posting on the demise of the Badgers.

At least wait until we get above .500 in conference, then fire away!

I'd like it noted that that Wojo had one losing season and that was after having a gutted roster and having to rebuild on the fly. Gard was handled the keys to the castle and has cratered the roster (yes there are injuries but even with those players health they look bad next year) AFTER two years of S16s which followed two FFs from his predecessor.

Not to mention the Big 10 is garbage this year, if we were in the Big 10 I guarantee we'd have a winning conference record at this point.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #498 on: February 02, 2018, 07:00:44 PM »

Bo's system only works if the coaching staff can impart the skills necessary to win.  Bo won everywhere he was because the dude could flat out coach.  He made good players better and made them play as a team.  If Gard can't do that, Bo's system is worthless.

Agree 100%.  Bo coached up mediocre players.  He was an outstanding game coach.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #499 on: February 02, 2018, 07:08:11 PM »
Agree 100%.  Bo coached up mediocre players.  He was an outstanding game coach.

Also a good recruiter... especially for his sysrem. A decent amount of good x-o coaches out there who cant recruit or have a  bad eye for their system.

feedback