[May 03, 2024, 08:27:54 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by mugrad_89
[May 03, 2024, 01:20:27 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Northwestern: A Case Study in real college athletic corruption  (Read 2918 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: Northwestern: A Case Study in real college athletic corruption
« Reply #50 on: August 10, 2023, 11:18:15 AM »
College kids don't always make the best decisions. Really isn't much more to this (the T-shirts, not the hazing) than that.

The head coach was defended because he supposedly wasn't around for any of the hazing. The assistants were retained for continuity.

They are the adults in the room. And they obviously don't get it.

When the university president has to quickly condemn the actions, he probably needs to do more than only that.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #51 on: August 10, 2023, 12:28:05 PM »
When the university president has to quickly condemn the actions, he probably needs to do more than only that.

Like what, realisitically?
They aren't firing the coaching staff three weeks before their first game. They aren't suspending the program. They aren't canceling the season.
The T-shirts were stupid, but demanding heads roll or other drastic action over a poor clothing choice seems a bit extreme.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #52 on: August 10, 2023, 12:36:15 PM »
They aren't firing the coaching staff three weeks before their first game. They aren't suspending the program. They aren't canceling the season.
The T-shirts were stupid, but demanding heads roll or other drastic action over a poor clothing choice seems a bit extreme.

Probably this.

"Guys, don't you see how this is the same dang problem that got is in this situation in the first place? Figure out what motivational tactics are gonna give us another black eye and try not to put those tactics in front of the reporters, eh?"

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #53 on: August 10, 2023, 12:42:03 PM »

One of the rare times I disagree with a post of yours; I think the t-shirts glaringly show the coaches’ lack of control over the team and the culture.

The administration needs to decide their priorities. Decency/accountability or $$$$. I’m guessing we already know what side of the equation they will be on. And that is the tragedy of this situation.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #54 on: August 10, 2023, 01:17:11 PM »
Probably this.

"Guys, don't you see how this is the same dang problem that got is in this situation in the first place? Figure out what motivational tactics are gonna give us another black eye and try not to put those tactics in front of the reporters, eh?"

All this is doing is continuing the narrative that Pat is the real victim here.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #55 on: August 10, 2023, 01:52:08 PM »
One of the rare times I disagree with a post of yours; I think the t-shirts glaringly show the coaches’ lack of control over the team and the culture.

The administration needs to decide their priorities. Decency/accountability or $$$$. I’m guessing we already know what side of the equation they will be on. And that is the tragedy of this situation.

NW's interim (and presumptive future) coach Braun has barely been in Evanston 6 months and is brand new to the program/had no part in the years of hazing.  Is it your assumption that he adopted the culture of sexual harrassment and has no issue still perpetuating it or its acceptance?

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #56 on: August 10, 2023, 02:08:24 PM »
NW's interim (and presumptive future) coach Braun has barely been in Evanston 6 months and is brand new to the program/had no part in the years of hazing.  Is it your assumption that he adopted the culture of sexual harrassment and has no issue still perpetuating it or its acceptance?

Right. The tee shirt stuff is under his watch. He could have stopped it. And, yet...

Truthfully, all these guys are gone come late November.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #57 on: August 10, 2023, 02:10:17 PM »

I don't see it as a simple either/or proposition. I don't think it's a choice of "fire everyone and kill the football program" or "you only care about money." There are a lot more moving parts involved here that make such a choice pretty much impossible.

Like virtually every other P5 program, football pays the bills at NU. If you kill football and leave the Big 10, you might as well kill the athletic department or go D-III. That's a lot of lost scholarship opportunities and jobs for people who had nothing to do with this.
And then there are donor/alumni issues. What do you tell the Ryans, who just put up nearly $500 million for stadium upgrades? Are you going to cut them a refund?
 Or the people who put up the $270 million for the new athletics (but mostly football) training center along Lake Michigan? Tell them tough break, now we've got a great place for intramurals? Better get some more lawyers.

I certainly understand why someone would suggest such a harsh outcome here, but I don't think it's necessary or realistic. I think it's better the university focus on things that actually can be done to change the culture rather than just punitive measures that really don't benefit anyone here.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2023, 02:14:10 PM by Pakuni »

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #58 on: August 10, 2023, 03:47:09 PM »
Not good, but not remotely surprising.
I think it deserves a little bit stronger than "not good".

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #59 on: August 10, 2023, 04:34:36 PM »
I don't see it as a simple either/or proposition. I don't think it's a choice of "fire everyone and kill the football program" or "you only care about money." There are a lot more moving parts involved here that make such a choice pretty much impossible.

Like virtually every other P5 program, football pays the bills at NU. If you kill football and leave the Big 10, you might as well kill the athletic department or go D-III. That's a lot of lost scholarship opportunities and jobs for people who had nothing to do with this.
And then there are donor/alumni issues. What do you tell the Ryans, who just put up nearly $500 million for stadium upgrades? Are you going to cut them a refund?
 Or the people who put up the $270 million for the new athletics (but mostly football) training center along Lake Michigan? Tell them tough break, now we've got a great place for intramurals? Better get some more lawyers.

I certainly understand why someone would suggest such a harsh outcome here, but I don't think it's necessary or realistic. I think it's better the university focus on things that actually can be done to change the culture rather than just punitive measures that really don't benefit anyone here.
Thoughtful post that recognizes there are gray areas and that we should stay away from absolutes whenever possible. I'd add to your post that this situation, while terrible and rightfully needing severe punishments, does not rise to the level of the crimes committed at Penn State or Michigan State; athletic programs that were allowed to continue on and a great many innocent people to keep jobs and careers. 

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #60 on: August 10, 2023, 05:32:45 PM »

If he allowed the t-shirts on Northwestern property, then he is part of the problem.

If he didn’t know what the players were doing, he is part of the problem.

Using terms like sexual harassment or hazing makes it sound somewhat innocent. In fact, the acts committed would have led to prison sentences if they occurred in the public at large.

If the new coach is unable to develop a new culture, he should go.

Dickthedribbler

• All American
« Reply #61 on: August 10, 2023, 06:46:49 PM »
I haven't followed all of the facts and details of this case, so I'm not qualified to say much. But there is one thing that I do know with virtual certainty and that is that the defense being offered by Fitzgerald that he knew NOTHING about this activity and that the first he heard of it was when the story broke, is complete BS. Big time college football coaches are some of the most anal people around, they are control freaks to the nth degree, they have their little " spies". There's nothing going on in those lockerroms that they don't know about. Not the least of which would be some linebacker dry humping some freshman running back in the trainers room.

Impossible that the coaches didn't know.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #62 on: August 10, 2023, 07:00:55 PM »
If he allowed the t-shirts on Northwestern property, then he is part of the problem.

If he didn’t know what the players were doing, he is part of the problem.

Using terms like sexual harassment or hazing makes it sound somewhat innocent. In fact, the acts committed would have led to prison sentences if they occurred in the public at large.

If the new coach is unable to develop a new culture, he should go.

Fair enough.  And FWIW, I don't think hazing or sexual harassment makes it seem innocent in any way shape or form.  I just surmised there was more going on of a varied nature than outright sexual assault (though there was that too), so I thought it was more of a broad label.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #63 on: August 10, 2023, 07:36:22 PM »
In fact, the acts committed would have led to prison sentences if they occurred in the public at large.

The police have every ability to investigate and charge this case. Being on campus doesn't change anything.

And unlikely.  Beyond all reasonable doubt is a really high standard to reach in these cases. Not justifying,  just acknowledging the reality of how difficult it is to get convictions in these cases.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #64 on: August 10, 2023, 11:09:43 PM »

Whether this activity warranted a suspension is a debate we can have, but it's not as if a coach has never been suspended before or during a season.

It was more than "a poor clothing choice," and I think you know it. It was poor judgment by the guy who was hired to restore decency - and good judgment - to a wayward program.

Frankly, I probably wouldn't have suspended him over this, but I'd have let him know he's on double-secret probation now.

Can't speak for others, but my only "assumption" is that it was tone deaf and a very poor example for a supposed leader to set. Especially a leader at a university that's going through what Northwestern is right now.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #65 on: August 11, 2023, 12:00:47 AM »

It was more than "a poor clothing choice," and I think you know it. It was poor judgment by the guy who was hired to restore decency - and good judgment - to a wayward program.

Unbelievably, the coach claimed it was a 1st Amendment issue with the t-shirts.

Apparently he thinks everyone is too stupid to know what the right to free speech is about.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #66 on: August 11, 2023, 06:52:20 AM »

Apparently he thinks everyone is too stupid to know what the right to free speech is about.
Seems to be a lot of that going around lately.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #67 on: August 11, 2023, 07:41:34 AM »
No one will lose their job over this, but it’s just going to reinforce that a complete house cleaning will need to take place after the season.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #68 on: August 11, 2023, 04:46:32 PM »
No one will lose their job over this, but it’s just going to reinforce that a complete house cleaning will need to take place after the season.

I think you are spot on. They will wait.

Too bad.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #69 on: August 11, 2023, 06:37:30 PM »

It is truly amazing and sad people don't know and understand the 1st Amendment. Happens all too frequently.  I wonder if he'd claim it's a 1st Amendment right to wear KKK t-shirts?

feedback