[Today at 05:11:05 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by brewcity77
[May 03, 2024, 08:27:54 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Poll

Where would Marquette athletics be had it not dropped football in 1960?

Scholarship football school.  A member of a "Power 5" conference.
3 (5.1%)
Scholarship football school.  A member of a lesser conference.
7 (11.9%)
Non-Scholarship football school similar to Butler.  No impact on basketball.
11 (18.6%)
Football would have been dropped later due to financial pressures with no impact on basketball.
9 (15.3%)
Football would have been dropped later and use of resources would have negatively impacted basketball.
23 (39%)
I have no idea.  But I like voting on things!
6 (10.2%)

Total Members Voted: 59

Author Topic: Where would Marquette athletics be had it not dropped football in 1960?  (Read 11400 times)

Benny B

• All American
Re: Where would Marquette athletics be had it not dropped football in 1960?
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2016, 09:10:14 AM »
Of course I want UConn in the Big East. They are a great basketball program. What does that have to do with this?

And no, the Big East would have still collapsed. Marquette having a crappy football team wouldn't have changed the fact that the B1G and SEC can take any school they want at any time.

Again, why would you trade our dominance of basketball under Al for a crappy mid major football team?

What makes you so sure that Marquette would have had a crappy football team?  Listen, I think football at Marquette is the dumbest idea since those dumbass krauts decided to attach a people cabin to a balloon filled with hydrogen... but dumb is exactly what makes for an awesome football team.  Look at Alabama... you know anyone who's graduated from Alabama?  Don't feel bad, because neither do any Alabama alums.  Want to get accepted to (the) Ohio State University?  Simply show up on enrollment day with a GED from an Ohio prison and show them how well you can breathe.

You think JJ Watt would have gone to Wisconsin?  He most assuredly wouldn't have even been accepted to Wisconsin because he would been playing for the Gridiron Warriors.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2016, 03:10:20 PM »
Of course I want UConn in the Big East. They are a great basketball program. What does that have to do with this?

And no, the Big East would have still collapsed. Marquette having a crappy football team wouldn't have changed the fact that the B1G and SEC can take any school they want at any time.

Again, why would you trade our dominance of basketball under Al for a crappy mid major football team?
I think our Football team would have reached its earlier peak levels again. I believe it would have helped basketball and we would be in a better position today if we had football. I believe part of the reason Al was able to recruit, was because the football team had given Marquette visibility. Remember Part of the recruiting pitch , especially in those days pre AAU, was to the high school coaches, who were old enough to recognize Marquette as a major athletic school.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2016, 03:18:05 PM »
I believe part of the reason Al was able to recruit, was because the football team had given Marquette visibility.

I think that's a bunch of hooey. 

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2016, 05:09:15 PM »

I think that's a bunch of hooey.
You omitted the rest of the quote. Like I said, Marquette football gave us national recognition before we became a basketball power.

I believe if we kept football going we would be in a very strong position today.

---Al McGuire

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2016, 09:20:13 PM »
You omitted the rest of the quote. Like I said, Marquette football gave us national recognition before we became a basketball power.

I believe if we kept football going we would be in a very strong position today.

I think that's a bunch of hooey
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2016, 09:42:02 PM »
Would really like to see MU establish a non scholarship football program and play in the Pioneer Football League. The schools that are participating in that league are all having a positive experience with football.
            ---Al McGuire

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2016, 09:46:27 PM »
Would really like to see MU establish a non scholarship football program and play in the Pioneer Football League. The schools that are participating in that league are all having a positive experience with football.

Would be a complete waste of money and resources.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2016, 09:49:06 PM »
Would be a complete waste of money and resources.
I believe it would create a ground swell of enthusiasm.
            ---Al McGuire

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2016, 10:24:33 PM »

In NY Fordham plays Holy Cross, it's a big deal.
Villanova plays football as does Georgetown.
St. Lawrence plays Div. 1 hockey and Div. 3 football.
Football can be played for the love of the sport, everything does not have to come down to money.

Remember that AL liked being an independent, those were the days.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2016, 10:40:22 PM »
In NY Fordham plays Holy Cross, it's a big deal.
Villanova plays football as does Georgetown.
St. Lawrence plays Div. 1 hockey and Div. 3 football.
Football can be played for the love of the sport, everything does not have to come down to money.

Remember that AL liked being an independent, those were the days.

Hey Vogue - glad you're OK, hope your friends/loved ones weren't hurt in the earthquake.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2016, 11:05:11 PM »
I think our Football team would have reached its earlier peak levels again. I believe it would have helped basketball and we would be in a better position today if we had football. I believe part of the reason Al was able to recruit, was because the football team had given Marquette visibility. Remember Part of the recruiting pitch , especially in those days pre AAU, was to the high school coaches, who were old enough to recognize Marquette as a major athletic school.

I believe football was dropped 4 years before Al stepped through Marquette's doors.

I believe football had absolutely nothing to do with Al's success as a basketball coach.

I believe Al would say you are full of beans for this cockamamie belief of yours.

I believe you believe Kostas would have been the best wide receiver in Marquette football history.

I believe you don't actually believe about 2/3 of the stuff you write on Scoop. At least I hope you believe that.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2016, 08:17:27 AM »

Average Pioneer League game attendance in 2015:  3,441

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2016, 08:24:34 AM »

I know it would cost hundreds of millions of dollars and that money would be taken away from much more valuable things. Our USWNR ranking would surely suffer!
TAMU

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2016, 11:08:40 AM »
I know it would cost hundreds of millions of dollars and that money would be taken away from much more valuable things. Our USWNR ranking would surely suffer!
Do some research on Pioneer League football. It is not a hundred of millions of dollars proposition. There are no scholarships.

I think over time it would help our USWNR ranking.
            ---Al McGuire

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2016, 11:15:44 AM »

How, exactly? 
Have some patience, FFS.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2016, 12:04:53 PM »
Do some research on Pioneer League football. It is not a hundred of millions of dollars proposition. There are no scholarships.

Facilities, coaches, support staff, administrators, security, conference fees, travel, etc all add up really quickly. Hundreds of millions was a purposeful exaggeration. It would cost millions. You would also need to spend money funding an additional women's sport. All for a team that no one would give two shats about and would make negative money.

D1 hockey would be a much better investment than a pioneer league football team.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 12:06:58 PM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2016, 12:07:23 PM »
Facilities, coaches, support staff, administrators, security, conference fees, travel, etc all add up really quickly. Hundreds of millions was a purposeful exaggeration. It would cost millions. You would also need to spend money funding an additional women's sport. All for a team that no one would give two shats about and would make negative money.

D1 hockey would be a much better investment than a pioneer league football team.

All those Canadians would depress our USN&WR ranking though.

manny31

• Starter
« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2016, 01:07:06 AM »
This is a classic Scoop thread. As long as we are eyeing an alternate universe here is what would have happened if MU would have kept football.......In 1966, two years after joining the Big 1? along with ND, Pittsburgh, and PSU, MU establishes itself as "The Jesuit University" in the Big1? by beating both U of M and a fading power in OSU two years in a row to become the first Big1? team to go undefeated in conference play for two consecutive years. Bowl games, you guessed it, two straight blow out wins over USC (42-3 and 37-0) This would only the start of "The Jesuit University" dominance in college sports. TJU would go on to win top AP and UPI honors in football 21 times in in the next 50 years. TJU hoops would also flourish winning the NCAA 13 times in those 50 years(Al got 6, Majerus 3, Dukiet 1, Deane 2, O'Neil 2, Crean 0, Buzz 4, Wojo 2 in two years) Things are good academically too, reasearchers at "TJU" cure Cancer, AIDS, and the scourge known as badger fandom. Bang!

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #43 on: September 03, 2016, 04:38:07 AM »
Hey Vogue - glad you're OK, hope your friends/loved ones weren't hurt in the earthquake.

Thanks, our place is in the north, Italy has its issues with earthquakes and volcanos.

MIT and Johnson Hopkins have Div.  3 football.  What schools do we consider our peers?

Buffalo and Idaho have Div. 1 football.  Small schools like Quinnipac and Providence are very successful with Div 1 hockey.

Long past time to get out of the big time football mentality.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2016, 10:25:15 AM »
TJU hoops would also flourish winning the NCAA 13 times in those 50 years(Al got 6, Majerus 3, Dukiet 1, Deane 2, O'Neil 2, Crean 0, Buzz 4, Wojo 2 in two years)

While I whole-heartedly embrace flights of fancy, the idea that Dukiet would have got 1 title to Crean's 0 is just too far in the realm of delusion. Surely Wade would have been joined by Lebron and Bosh in college rather than just the pros, and their friendship would have led to two titles before they left for the NBA together.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #45 on: September 03, 2016, 10:28:13 AM »
While I whole-heartedly embrace flights of fancy, the idea that Dukiet would have got 1 title to Crean's 0 is just too far in the realm of delusion. Surely Wade would have been joined by Lebron and Bosh in college rather than just the pros, and their friendship would have led to two titles before they left for the NBA together.

Nah, he still would have gotten rolled by Kansas.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #46 on: September 03, 2016, 10:42:44 AM »
This is a classic Scoop thread. As long as we are eyeing an alternate universe here is what would have happened if MU would have kept football.......In 1966, two years after joining the Big 1? along with ND, Pittsburgh, and PSU, MU establishes itself as "The Jesuit University" in the Big1? by beating both U of M and a fading power in OSU two years in a row to become the first Big1? team to go undefeated in conference play for two consecutive years. Bowl games, you guessed it, two straight blow out wins over USC (42-3 and 37-0) This would only the start of "The Jesuit University" dominance in college sports. TJU would go on to win top AP and UPI honors in football 21 times in in the next 50 years. TJU hoops would also flourish winning the NCAA 13 times in those 50 years(Al got 6, Majerus 3, Dukiet 1, Deane 2, O'Neil 2, Crean 0, Buzz 4, Wojo 2 in two years) Things are good academically too, reasearchers at "TJU" cure Cancer, AIDS, and the scourge known as badger fandom. Bang!

In this alternate universe "it's Indiana, it's Indiana" would have been interrupted by bouts of tearful blubbering

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #47 on: September 03, 2016, 01:25:01 PM »
#15 Houston AAC beating  #3 Oklahoma great game on ABC. In the
Alternative Universe MU would be the double header football game against North Carolina at Miller Park.
            ---Al McGuire

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #48 on: September 03, 2016, 04:11:47 PM »
In the Alternative Universe MU would be the double header football game against North Carolina at Miller Park.

In front of 25,000...

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #49 on: September 03, 2016, 04:23:30 PM »

feedback