[Today at 01:57:07 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[Today at 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: TC's recruiting  (Read 17313 times)

Stuckin1977

• Starter
    • Stuck in 1977
Re: TC's recruiting
« Reply #50 on: April 04, 2011, 09:58:43 AM »
You could have made this shorter and said, "Jay Bee, you are correct on all of these points.  Sorry, I was wrong."

Ha!  Good luck getting that out of anybody on this site.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #51 on: April 04, 2011, 10:27:49 AM »
ahhh, the four sentences to wisdom:

I'm sorry.
I was wrong.
I don't know.
I need help.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #52 on: April 04, 2011, 10:31:11 AM »
+1 brewcity....the Crean-fighting has been old for about two years now.

I agree...and have particiapted in some of it - but only from the perspective that Crean's staunchest defender is also Buzz's harshest, most skeptical critic.  I hate the double standard, and always critical microscope on our CURRENT coach, while our former coach is so revered/praised/etc.....

Pretty sure if the board's resident Buzz skeptic/critic/basher would relent - people would also stop taking shots at said individuals mancrush - Tom Crean.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #53 on: April 04, 2011, 03:12:28 PM »
I agree...and have particiapted in some of it - but only from the perspective that Crean's staunchest defender is also Buzz's harshest, most skeptical critic.  I hate the double standard, and always critical microscope on our CURRENT coach, while our former coach is so revered/praised/etc.....

Pretty sure if the board's resident Buzz skeptic/critic/basher would relent - people would also stop taking shots at said individuals mancrush - Tom Crean.

It takes two to make an argument.  The "he did it first" excuse doesn't work for my kids either...

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #54 on: April 04, 2011, 03:58:57 PM »

It takes two to make an argument.  The "he did it first" excuse doesn't work for my kids either...

It should work.  If the one that did it first was being a total jerk then darn right the 2nd should stand up for him/herself.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #55 on: April 04, 2011, 05:00:11 PM »
It should work.  If the one that did it first was being a total jerk then darn right the 2nd should stand up for him/herself.

Yes, people should stand up against Chico's' tyranny and create anti-TC threads.

Wait. No.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #56 on: April 04, 2011, 05:56:29 PM »
Yes, people should stand up against Chico's' tyranny and create anti-TC threads.

Wait. No.

I wasn't talking about this weird man love + fighting all of you have for each other.  The violent disagreement leading to make out sessions on this board. I could definitely live without :)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #57 on: April 04, 2011, 06:09:09 PM »
I agree...and have particiapted in some of it - but only from the perspective that Crean's staunchest defender is also Buzz's harshest, most skeptical critic.  I hate the double standard, and always critical microscope on our CURRENT coach, while our former coach is so revered/praised/etc.....

No ners, you don't hate the double standards because you perpetuate them all the time.  What you don't like is a perceived double standard ONE WAY, but you add to the reverse double standard all the time.  Double Standard by it's VERY DEFINITION implies one provision for one person or group of people and a different application for another group.   The irony in your statement(s) is that you are a complete hypocrite (as are many on this board) that use a double standard ALL THE TIME about our past coaches.  OH THE IRONY. 

We have people here that treat Majerus one way and KO a different way and TC another way.  So don't even think about going down your path or self righteousness. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #58 on: April 04, 2011, 06:11:19 PM »
That is complete and utter nonsense, bud.  The list is over "100 strong" of kids that have signed, yet back out of their commitments.  So how does signing mean they have 'CHOSEN' a school but saying they have CHOSEN a school does not? 

You should hear yourself, or just print out one of your posts and just read it. Perhaps with a glass of wine or something that makes you lucid.  Try it.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #59 on: April 04, 2011, 06:11:51 PM »
recruiting Chico he was overated on being consistant.  Couldnt compete with the big dogs and wasnt up to the challenge of the BEast so he took and easier leaque and hotter area. Just saying his I am tough thing is quite phony and people see thru it.  

Thank you for the clarity.  Yes, definitely some inconsistencies.  You don't think he was up to the challenge of the Big East?  Never finishing worse than 5th place suggests you couldn't be more wrong, but whatever.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #60 on: April 04, 2011, 06:15:09 PM »
Unfortunately, Chicos "assistant video coordinator" references is dumbing down the reality of the situation.

By all means...expand.  This will be good to hear.  I see two more Indiana Elite kids did not "choose" IU recently and another IU verbal wasn't a member of Indiana Elite.  Odd.  Maybe the siren song of the Assistant Video Coordinator is wearing off.

Or maybe the connection with that team and IU for about 40 years is starting to fray.... ::)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #61 on: April 04, 2011, 06:21:17 PM »
O'Neil made the program relevant again.  DWade put MU back on the map. Without Wade, MU's former coach very well could never have made the tournament here and might be coaching at some mid-major school after missing the big dance his first 6 years at MU. Marquette had some other very good players to go with Wade (Henry, Diener, Jackson, Novak) but we saw the 2 years before and after Wade that those guys couldn't hack it without him.

LOL.

Yes, KO made the program "relevant" in that we didn't fall off the earth.  Completely agree.

Remind me again who recruits and signs players, I keep forgetting that part.  Furthermore, when the player leaves, WHO keeps the program viable since that player is gone?  In college hoops, it's the coach because they are the constant.

I did a 5 minute search and came up with those 10 articles.  I'm sure I could put 25 or 50 more if I felt like it. 

ners...this is a classic example of the double standard here used all the time that so many don't get....ners especially. 

By the way, who does that Wade guy still swear by?  Odd.

At any rate, Buzz has a great opportunity to keep this thing going and take it to another LEVEL.  I thank TC for putting us on the map again.  Getting us the players to make that possible....Travis Diener, Dwyane Wade, Steve Novak, Robert Jackson, etc.  He can be an incredible douche, but none of us are probably here talking about 6 straight NCAA appearances without him.  None of us are here thinking about the Final Four we had in the last 10 years and the great memories of guys like DJ, Matthews, McNeal, Hayward, highly competitive Big East finishes, etc, etc.  NONE OF US! 

Sorry that irks a lot of you.  Sorry this doesn't agree with the double standards that some of you complain about but participate in on a near daily basis.

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #62 on: April 04, 2011, 06:37:54 PM »
Brewcity77 , u sound as if your Dodds twin or Dodds using another name.

Sack Up!

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #63 on: April 05, 2011, 01:16:00 PM »
So... Jeremy Hollowell recently committed to I4.  How amazing, he ran with the Eric Gordon All-Stars... we were all baffled.

Now the truth as been revealed.

Reported today that Hollowell will be leaving EG AS and joining a program called.. oh what is it?... ooooh yeah, Indiana Elite.

Shocking stuff. 
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #64 on: April 05, 2011, 05:32:38 PM »
I do think we have double standards on this board. We hold other schools and/or coaches more accountable than our own. The TC bashing is fun for some on here which is fine. But, make no mistake about it that IU is happy with the direction TC is going. Everyone on here laughs at the results and IU looks at it as part of the process. Indiana basketball is still blue blood around the basketball circles.

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #65 on: April 05, 2011, 09:21:22 PM »
Tom Crean sucks!!!!Period.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #66 on: April 10, 2011, 10:28:54 AM »
ners...this is a classic example of the double standard here used all the time that so many don't get....ners especially. 

By the way, who does that Wade guy still swear by?  Odd.

At any rate, Buzz has a great opportunity to keep this thing going and take it to another LEVEL.  I thank TC for putting us on the map again.  Getting us the players to make that possible....Travis Diener, Dwyane Wade, Steve Novak, Robert Jackson, etc.  He can be an incredible douche, but none of us are probably here talking about 6 straight NCAA appearances without him.  None of us are here thinking about the Final Four we had in the last 10 years and the great memories of guys like DJ, Matthews, McNeal, Hayward, highly competitive Big East finishes, etc, etc.  NONE OF US! 

Sorry that irks a lot of you.  Sorry this doesn't agree with the double standards that some of you complain about but participate in on a near daily basis.

Umm, thank you for posting this.  The irony is hysterical.  You just glowed and glowed and glowed about TC, Travis,  Steve, DJ, Wes, the Final Four..and none of us are talking about 6 straight NCAA appearances "without him."  Yet you submit articles about this past year's team as being a bunch of choking dogs pissing themselves?  Where have you just gushed about DJO, Buycks, Jimmy, Crowder, Buzz...and the rest of the guys from this year's team....who are all Buzz guys..and helped continue the run of NCAA tourney appearances - but without Crean we couldn't have done that??  Plus we made it last year with some of Crean's guys who most picked would finish 12th in the conference.  You make allegations of shady recruiting behavior by Buzz....but then completely defend Tom Crean's alliance with the Indiana Elite and hiring of coaches sons, walk on spots handed to board of directors of Indiana Elite's kid....You bellyached all last summer about us recruiting JUCO's.  Please.  What is so damn hard for you to just admit that you have a major league man crush on Tom Crean??  If you'd just acknowledge that, you could stop living the lie you live around here.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #67 on: April 10, 2011, 10:57:17 AM »
"articles"?  I submitted ONE article like that and changed it within 2 hours.  I have plenty of articles and posts that were highly praiseworthy of Buzz and the team, but you ignore those...of course.

That's right, we would not have done it because we wouldn't be in the situation we are in to get those guys. We wouldn't be in the Big East, we wouldn't have a Final Four to build off, etc, etc.

You honestly think Buzz would have accomplished this from scratch...that he would have come in with a 14-15 team following Mike Deane and done this?  We'll never know because n one in this country would have ever given him that opportunity.  I'm glad he's done well with it...glad he took a great thing and only went slightly backward this year (first finish in the bottom half of the conference) but for the most part has done well.  Next year should be a top 25 team.  Looking forward to it.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #68 on: April 10, 2011, 11:16:41 AM »
"articles"?  I submitted ONE article like that and changed it within 2 hours.  I have plenty of articles and posts that were highly praiseworthy of Buzz and the team, but you ignore those...of course.

That's right, we would not have done it because we wouldn't be in the situation we are in to get those guys. We wouldn't be in the Big East, we wouldn't have a Final Four to build off, etc, etc.

You honestly think Buzz would have accomplished this from scratch...that he would have come in with a 14-15 team following Mike Deane and done this?  We'll never know because n one in this country would have ever given him that opportunity.  I'm glad he's done well with it...glad he took a great thing and only went slightly backward this year (first finish in the bottom half of the conference) but for the most part has done well.  Next year should be a top 25 team.  Looking forward to it.

Fair post...by why on earth do you think Tom Crean was capable of being nothing more than a career assistant coach prior to coming to MU - much like Buzz - but you imply there is no way Buzz could have engineered the turnaround from the Deane disaster?  I think both guys have some great talents, just think Buzz has a little more talent when it comes to coaching/recruiting.  Crean is probably a better program cheerleader, enthusiasm generator, etc.

But last question - so did you prefer finishing in 5th place at 10-6, 10-6 and 11-7 in the Big East - as we did in 06,07, and 08 only to lose in the 1st round 2 of those years and 2nd round of the NCAA in 2008...or finishing 9-9 and 9th in the Big East buy making a Sweet 16?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #69 on: April 10, 2011, 12:24:43 PM »
Fair post...by why on earth do you think Tom Crean was capable of being nothing more than a career assistant coach prior to coming to MU - much like Buzz - but you imply there is no way Buzz could have engineered the turnaround from the Deane disaster?  I think both guys have some great talents, just think Buzz has a little more talent when it comes to coaching/recruiting.  Crean is probably a better program cheerleader, enthusiasm generator, etc.

He's already proven to be more than capable to do things on his own.  He was considered one of the top 3 assistants in the country when he was hired and came from arguably the best program in college basketball at the time.  Buzz was considered a good assistant, but one that landed him a head coaching gig at New Orleans. Those are the differences in reality.

But last question - so did you prefer finishing in 5th place at 10-6, 10-6 and 11-7 in the Big East - as we did in 06,07, and 08 only to lose in the 1st round 2 of those years and 2nd round of the NCAA in 2008...or finishing 9-9 and 9th in the Big East buy making a Sweet 16?

I've answered this question a 100 times.  The NCAA Tournament is a crapshoot.  I prefer doing well in the regular season to set us up for the NCAA Tournament.  We had a great setup this year, playing two teams that couldn't shoot the three....our achilles heel.  That doesn't mean next year we aren't a 3 seed but playing a team who's strength is our weakness and we go down in the first round.  It's a crapshoot.  I've always said that and always will. 

I don't discount the regular season as some throw away.  We barely got into the tournament.  Last 6 teams in.  If we don't be WVU, do we get in?  If we lost to PC, we certainly wouldn't have.  Then that Sweet 16 doesn't even happen.  You can't have that Sweet 16 run unless you get into the tournament to begin with.

feedback