[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:22:34 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by mugrad_89
[May 03, 2024, 01:20:27 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Marquette Ranked #75 in latest US News & World Report's Rankings  (Read 15052 times)

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: Marquette Ranked #75 in latest US News & World Report's Rankings
« Reply #50 on: August 18, 2010, 08:13:04 PM »
Well, I am glad that most folks don't consider us middle of the road, but rather in the upper quartile.  I'll take it.  I've always wondered if I should have attended UC Irvine or UC San Diego, both schools I was admitted to and ranked currently top 40 schools according to US News.

Nationally, most people have never heard of UC Irvine and the confuse UC San Diego with USD or San Diego State.  I'm happy with MU's strides and it's national reputation.

Here, I'll define in basketball terms. As a university, MU doesn't make the NCAA Tournament, but instead is playing in the NIT. Valid analogy?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #51 on: August 18, 2010, 08:19:25 PM »

Here, I'll define in basketball terms. As a university, MU doesn't make the NCAA Tournament, but instead is playing in the NIT. Valid analogy?

Well, that means you have a much larger definition of "middle of the road".  Considering only 96 schools make the NCAA or NIT and about 250 don't.  I think that's where you lost some of us.   I wouldn't call an NIT basketball team "middle of the road" when you consider the 350 DI basketball schools.  Maybe that's where our disconnect is

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #52 on: August 18, 2010, 08:31:57 PM »
Fair enough. But, the goal, at the very least, is to be dancin'. Everybody else is an also ran.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

goodgreatgrand

• Team Captain
« Reply #53 on: August 18, 2010, 08:33:07 PM »
Alright.Break it up. Back to your corners.

I dont know about some of you, but a lot of my friends (and myself included) chose a university/college that was very good at a specific discipline because that was the discipline I wanted to major in. Are there kids that go to MIT to major in English? Sure. But is it a better degree than say, Macalaster or Bowdoin or Bates? Hell no. Not even close. I think its hard to evaluate a liberal arts education since research isnt a focol point. For example, I'd say an English Lit major from Bowdoin is as prestigious of a degree as an engineering degree from MIT....or a poly science degree from Harvard....or an economics degree from UChicago...or a broadcasting degree from Syracuse. General ranking are just that....general.

Scholarship money also plays a huge role. Many kids turn down offers from more prestigious schools because the money isnt there.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #54 on: August 18, 2010, 09:10:03 PM »
Well, I am glad that most folks don't consider us middle of the road, but rather in the upper quartile.  I'll take it.  I've always wondered if I should have attended UC Irvine or UC San Diego, both schools I was admitted to and ranked currently top 40 schools according to US News.

Nationally, most people have never heard of UC Irvine and they confuse UC San Diego with USD or San Diego State.  I'm happy with MU's strides and it's national reputation.
I come in peace, but I'm honestly flabbergasted thay you've "always wondered if you should have attended UC Irvine or UC San Diego" because of a slightly higher rating in a magazine that almost nobody gives a crap about. I was accepted at schools "rated" much higher than MU, UC Irvine or UC San Diego but have NEVER wondered what might have been. Guess I was too busy having fun. I know you're very concerned about other people's perceptions, but trust me when I say that in the very, very remote possibility that anyone thinks less of you because you went to MU instead of those other schools it is their problem not yours.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #55 on: August 18, 2010, 11:22:18 PM »
I come in peace, but I'm honestly flabbergasted thay you've "always wondered if you should have attended UC Irvine or UC San Diego" because of a slightly higher rating in a magazine that almost nobody gives a crap about. I was accepted at schools "rated" much higher than MU, UC Irvine or UC San Diego but have NEVER wondered what might have been. Guess I was too busy having fun. I know you're very concerned about other people's perceptions, but trust me when I say that in the very, very remote possibility that anyone thinks less of you because you went to MU instead of those other schools it is their problem not yours.

Actually, there's much more to it.  I live in California now, where Marquette is not known that much.  Going to UC SD or UCI probably would have made things a bit easier at first.  If I stayed in the midwest, then not as big an issue.  The networking out here, especially among USC and UC schools is incredible and it pays off dearly for many people. 

I agree with you that once you make your name in an industry, where you go doesn't mean a hill of beans.  Totally agree, but when starting out it can make a lot of difference depending on where you live.

SacWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #56 on: August 19, 2010, 12:34:40 PM »
Actually, there's much more to it.  I live in California now, where Marquette is not known that much.  Going to UC SD or UCI probably would have made things a bit easier at first.  If I stayed in the midwest, then not as big an issue.  The networking out here, especially among USC and UC schools is incredible and it pays off dearly for many people. 

I agree with you that once you make your name in an industry, where you go doesn't mean a hill of beans.  Totally agree, but when starting out it can make a lot of difference depending on where you live.

No matter where you decide to live, college is what you make it. I got into UC-Berkeley and UC-Davis, both of which are much higher than Marquette on USNR's list. I ended up hating pretty much everything about Cal and UC-Davis is like Ripon College West but with far more liberals on bicycles. I visited Marquette and loved it, and not being as high on some magazine's ranking wasn't going to change that.

If I do end up living out in California again, I probably won't have the same connections as many UC and Davis grads, but I know plenty of MU alumni and current students in the Bay Area that are benefiting greatly from the education they received from the Jesuits, which is still very different than the UC system (which is a financially-failing institution now, another reason I chose a private school). Still I do agree, Marquette is still a largely unknown school out here. When I applied to Marquette I had to send in a counselor's report, and when I mentioned Marquette she told me that her friend's brother was supposedly recruited by MU to play baseball. I highly doubt that.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #57 on: August 19, 2010, 12:58:08 PM »
Fair enough. But, the goal, at the very least, is to be dancin'. Everybody else is an also ran.

Of course...but you said middle of the road.  There's a difference between a NIT team on the cusp and a middle of the road team that can't even get to the NIT. 

Top 75 in the nation, I'll take it.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #58 on: August 20, 2010, 07:09:46 PM »
However, I am on campus weekly as a member of the adjunct faculty.

What do you teach? (If you don't mind sharing that info.)

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #59 on: August 20, 2010, 07:12:47 PM »
What do you teach? (If you don't mind sharing that info.)

I am an Assistant Clincal Professor of Dentistry
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #60 on: August 20, 2010, 08:22:37 PM »

If I said you were easily the funniest dentist I've ever encountered would you be insulted?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #61 on: August 20, 2010, 08:50:15 PM »
If I said you were easily the funniest dentist I've ever encountered would you be insulted?

Lenny man, you're the tits. Dentists are anal, sticks in the mud. Can't stand their company.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #62 on: August 20, 2010, 09:09:09 PM »

Lenny man, you're the tits. Dentists are anal, sticks in the mud. Can't stand their company.

I love dentists.  Especially ones with CERECs.  And hot assistants...
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

augoman

• All American
« Reply #63 on: August 20, 2010, 09:13:53 PM »
Forever, once again you and I agree..., can't stand their company, but played with two of em in the M club outing, and seem to spend most of my free time with em!

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #64 on: August 20, 2010, 09:21:05 PM »
Augie, I feel your pain. At least @ NU we don't run into them.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #65 on: August 20, 2010, 11:24:15 PM »

so that explains your love of getting your tonsils tickled.

wyzgy

• Team Captain
  • he who laughs last, laughs...last
« Reply #66 on: August 21, 2010, 11:39:39 PM »

doc4ever-you know what they say about teachers/professors-say it ain't so...you're right on about the anal thing...although you must admit that at times it feels as though we're working on the "other end"  (this supposed to be teal for you offionados)

now to the conversation, when i was at mu-1977-1986, the post maguire days, we were known as the eastern school of the midwest.  big al's recruiting spilled over and brought many easterners this way.  we were also the 2nd choice of nd rejects, many chicago area kids  but nd's built more like a prison and i still don't get the nose-up-in-the-air thing. they do put their pants on just like hillary and rosie o, one leg at a time.  mu has a great reputation in the midwest and it's growing.  i'll take #75 and with the new law and engineering schools, and other final four, ten years from now...top 50
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 11:43:17 PM by wyzgy »

LON

• All American
« Reply #67 on: August 23, 2010, 09:47:38 AM »

Anti-dentite

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #68 on: August 23, 2010, 10:02:33 AM »

Damning with faint praise.

feedback