[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by brewcity77
[May 03, 2024, 08:27:54 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: iPhone v. Droid  (Read 14294 times)

GoldenWarrior

• Team Captain
iPhone v. Droid
« on: May 19, 2010, 10:28:19 AM »
I am a proud user of the iPhone and have really enjoyed the product as well as the service that I receive from AT&T (though I've heard plenty of others complaining about the AT&T coverage; I personally have not had any problems).  I was just wondering what the general consensus is between these two products.  Everything I'm seeing in the market place and earnings, etc is showing the Droid catching up to the iPhone and challenging it in the mobile market place.

Are there any droid users out there? Do you like the product, positives, negatives, etc? Does Google actually give the Droid anything above and beyond what Apple has given the iPhone?

Please discuss...

dsfire

• All American
Re: iPhone v. Droid
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 10:43:23 AM »
I read this article recently when looking for info on the droid incredible: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/technology/2010/05/htc-droid-incredible-review.html

The author suggests the iphone and the droid are really aimed at different markets based upon customizability vs. usability - similar to the old pc vs. mac debate.  That's probably boiling it down somewhat too far, but an interesting distinction anyway.

From what I've read, the droid is generally considered king at the moment, with assumptions being that the next gen iphone will dethrone it.

mujaxson

• Walk-On
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 11:05:19 AM »
I am a proud user of the iPhone and have really enjoyed the product as well as the service that I receive from AT&T (though I've heard plenty of others complaining about the AT&T coverage; I personally have not had any problems).  I was just wondering what the general consensus is between these two products.  Everything I'm seeing in the market place and earnings, etc is showing the Droid catching up to the iPhone and challenging it in the mobile market place.

Are there any droid users out there? Do you like the product, positives, negatives, etc? Does Google actually give the Droid anything above and beyond what Apple has given the iPhone?

Please discuss...

I have and use both phones - Droid is my personal phone, iPhone was given to me from work.  Having used a Blackberry and other touch phones, the Droid is the closest phone to the iPhone I have found.  I find myself using the Droid more, maybe because all my texting is done through it, but even apps like Twitter, Facebook, weather, and news I find just as useful on the Droid as the iPhone.  The iPhone's apps are very nice looking, if not always the most functional.  Apple always does a great job with form over function.  I like the keyboard (virtual keyboard, but it also has a physical keyboard if wanted) on the Droid more, along with its seamless integration with all Google apps.  I use Gmail, Calendar, Finance, Talk, Voice etc. and the Android software from Google (used on the Droid) does it all perfectly. 

While the apps on the iPhone look better and may, overall, be of higher quality than Android's apps, the Android has an advantage because their "Market" is open to all apps.  So you get a bigger selection of apps for the Droid.  You can also have a ton of different widgets on the Droid which can be useful. 

The other factor is the service (network).  Where I live, I get both ATT and Verizon 3G pretty strong so it doesn't factor in to my decision of what phone is better.  But across the country, Verizon simply has a better 3G network which can make a huge difference when selecting a phone.  I've used my iPhone in non-3G areas and it sucks.  Haven't had much issue with the Droid not being a 3G area because of the network coverage.

Let me know if you have any other further questions...

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 11:13:56 AM »
I don't own a Droid or an iPhone because I prefer a hardware keyboard on my phone.  I have a phone that runs Google's Android operating system, though.

I don't like Apple's "Walled Garden" approach to applications where they get approval over all applications that you want to install on your phone.  It weeds out crap, but they also deny any application that they deem inappropriate... whether inappropriate means that there's adult content or if inappropriate refers to an app that mentions any of Apple's competitors.  Even those practices wouldn't be bad if when Apple rejects an app they would tell an app developer why their app was rejected, but Apple doesn't.

I'm an adult.  I don't need Apple telling me what I can and cannot install on a device that I own.  I would also never sign a contract with AT&T.  If I were dead-set on purchasing an iPhone I'd wait until it gets released to Verizon.

If you're happy with you're phone then that's all that matters.  If you don't mind that you have your phone locked down for no obvious reason and that you have to pay exorbitant amounts of money to AT&T for their sub-par service, then the iPhone is the phone for you!

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 12:05:55 PM »
I read this article recently when looking for info on the droid incredible: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/technology/2010/05/htc-droid-incredible-review.html

The author suggests the iphone and the droid are really aimed at different markets based upon customizability vs. usability - similar to the old pc vs. mac debate.  That's probably boiling it down somewhat too far, but an interesting distinction anyway.

From what I've read, the droid is generally considered king at the moment, with assumptions being that the next gen iphone will dethrone it.

Next Gen Droid is released June 4 on 4G network and is 10x faster than any iPhone. May take a while.
But I like to throw handfuls...

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 01:01:04 PM »
Caveat - I have neither phone.  However, I work in Telecom.

The iPhone ecosystem far exceeds (by an order of magnitude) that of Android.  iPhone apps are in the Billions of downloads, and Android is far less than that.  It's the same with the total number of available apps.  However, this is all changing.

1Q10 was the first quarter than Droid devices outsold iPhone devices.  Droid devices are available beyond just Verizon Wireless (something like 10 operators are planning/launched Droid devices), and there are far more manufacturers actually making Droid devices too.  The ecosystem of operators and manufacturers will be larger in the foreseeable future than that of iPhone, which is helping Droid catch up quickly.

From a user experience, VzW will probably be better for two reasons.  They have more of the US covered with 3G, and they managed to learn from the exponential data growth that caused problems for AT&T by adding extra capacity in advance.  Other service providers beyond VzW that use Droid will be a crapshoot.  Nobody in Telecom is really doing a good job of managing the exponential data growth.

Temper expectations on 4G.  It'll probably take two years to be rolled out for VzW, and probably a little bit longer for AT&T.  In the meantime, AT&T will also have a rollout of speeds that will be ~30% faster than VzW, but it's still going to be coverage constrained.

my two cents.
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2010, 01:11:11 PM »
I have an iPhone, and I love it.

I'm in a bit of a unique situation, though, because I don't pay for my phone.  My employer purchased the phone and pays the bills.  Earlier this year when we were looking for new phones, the person with the most pull is a huge apple fan.  So, we were pretty much faced with the prospect of getting an iPhone immediately, or waiting for the Verizon version.  We discussed the Droid, but it didn't seem to be a real option.  So, I've got ATT/iPhone (redundant, I know).

I really do love the device, though.  It works well.  I'm not troubled by the fact that Apple has a stranglehold on apps.  That's obviously a much bigger deal to others than it is to me.  There are a huge number of apps and my phone does things that I never would have imagined possible (depositing checks into my bank account by snapping pictures of the check -- are you kidding me?).  I am looking forward to the new OS that (reportedly) will permit more than one app to work at a time.  It would be cool to be able to listen to Pandora while sending email, etc. I'd like to take a Droid for a spin, but I've been very happy with the iPhone.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

GoldenWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2010, 01:58:06 PM »
Yeah, as an iPhone user the only thing that is annoying me currently is the ongoing dispute between Apple and Adobe.  It would be really nice to be able to install and use flash on the iPhone.

I don't have too much of a problem with Apple monitoring their apps.  It is a little demeaning to think they they have control over what I can and can't do, but at the same time I'm willing to bet the vast majority of the items they aren't letting me see are complete crap that I want to avoid to begin with. This is up for personal preferences though clearly.

I'm also looking at this from Google's perspective financially and wondering if this really can grow into their second stream of revenue that the market has been waiting to see from them (meaning a second main stream of revenue aside from their advertisement revenues, which I believe still accounts for 90%+ of their total revenues).

Once the AT&T/Apple contract is up I am thinking that there will be another large migration to the iPhone because it seems to me the only reason people avoid it now is because of AT&T's contract requirements and their spotty coverage, not because of the product itself as produced by Apple. The iPhone is open to multiple coverage providers in Europe already and seems to be dominating the market over there fairly easily.

Moonboots

• Starter
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2010, 08:18:39 PM »
I'm a Droid user, and completely and totally hooked. Full disclosure, I'm also a Mac user and would have probably opted for the iPhone if it were available through Verizon.

A few observations.. in their stock forms, the iPhone touch screen kills the Droid, or any other touch screen for that matter. After three years of using an iPod touch, I can honestly say it's never missed a swipe, or pinch zoom, or anything. The Droid is good, but the iPod Touch/iPhone hardware is spot on.

I say "in their stock forms" because with some tweaking, the Droid can become an absolute monster of a phone. I rooted mine, which seems to be one step in hacking ability above jailbreaking an iPhone. The processor is overclocked which makes the phone snappier and more responsive than any phone I've seen, and the battery life is better because the programmers messed with the voltages in the phone kernels. I'm basically running an operating system built from scratch by one of the many skilled programmers out there who have torn this phone apart.

Also love my slide-out keyboard, and have never had any issue with 3G coverage anywhere. As a supplement to the virtual keyboard, there's also a keyboard called "Swype" that blows away any virtual keyboard I've used before. It's the one found in the world record texting commercial.

I'm excited to see what Apple and Android developers have for us next.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLwxIwMFzR4

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2010, 01:55:04 AM »

Please discuss...

I have both because we are beta testing some products.  Advantages to both, disadvantages to both.

Droid can multitask, iPhone can't (at least OS4 comes out this Summer)
iPhone more apps then Droid
I don't like how the Droid interfaces with email and the calendar (if you connect it to a work email server) quite as much.
Droid seems faster to me
iPhone you cannot add memory or change the battery out....lame
iPhone won't run Flash
iPhone functionality and "stability" better than Droid.  iPhone more polished at this point
AT&T not as good coverage as Verizon, IMO
Droid has a flash for camera, iPhone doesn't (4G version will)
iPhone navigation is better IMO

APieperFan3

• Team Captain
  • We Are Marquette
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2010, 06:36:19 AM »
My old man works in the Telecom business for AT&T. He got the original iPhone when it first came out. At first I wasnt that impressed...no video, no "mass texting", no picture messages, etc.

Now, it's a whole new ball game with apps, video/picture messaging, etc. Plus...I am a Mac owner, so it's super easy to have everything synced up, etc.

Is the new version of the iPhone that is supposedly coming out this summer supposed to "battle" the new version of the Droid coming out in June?
The "average fan" is an idiot.

GoldenWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2010, 09:57:31 AM »
My old man works in the Telecom business for AT&T. He got the original iPhone when it first came out. At first I wasnt that impressed...no video, no "mass texting", no picture messages, etc.

Now, it's a whole new ball game with apps, video/picture messaging, etc. Plus...I am a Mac owner, so it's super easy to have everything synced up, etc.

Is the new version of the iPhone that is supposedly coming out this summer supposed to "battle" the new version of the Droid coming out in June?
I was wondering the same thing, are these two new phones battling one another, or are they battling the opponents' older phones?

Moonboots

• Starter
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2010, 10:52:02 AM »
I was wondering the same thing, are these two new phones battling one another, or are they battling the opponents' older phones?

I don't think it's a one-to-one battle. Android's devices have been ahead with multitasking and under the hood processor speed for a little while now, and Apple has always had a smooth, seamless interface. That's something the open-source Android platform lacks. Each is trying to cover up those weaknesses with each passing phone/software update.

I suppose you could match up which phone is battling which phone chronologically, so the Droid Incredible, the eventual Droid 2, the rumored Droid Shadow will all battle the iPhone 4G, but it's more a matter of the operating systems trying to one up each other, I think.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2010, 10:54:04 AM »
Call me an old man, but I still rely on my BlackBerry.  It may not be the hippest, coolest, or fastest.  But I'm an expert on the interface, and every time I upgrade the learning curve is about 5 minutes.  And I have fat fingers and can't type on an iPhone.   :P

GoldenWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2010, 10:59:43 AM »
I don't think it's a one-to-one battle. Android's devices have been ahead with multitasking and under the hood processor speed for a little while now, and Apple has always had a smooth, seamless interface. That's something the open-source Android platform lacks. Each is trying to cover up those weaknesses with each passing phone/software update.

I suppose you could match up which phone is battling which phone chronologically, so the Droid Incredible, the eventual Droid 2, the rumored Droid Shadow will all battle the iPhone 4G, but it's more a matter of the operating systems trying to one up each other, I think.
Yeah, I see what you're saying here.  I wonder why can't someone just get it all right on one phone (Droid use an interface similar to iPhone, or iPhone use the better processor of Droid).  I'm sure there are legal contracts about who can use what technology as developed by whom and such, but it certainly seems to me like there's always a way around such things by creating something extremely similar, but just different enough to not infringe.

Moonboots

• Starter
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2010, 11:13:17 AM »
Yeah, I see what you're saying here.  I wonder why can't someone just get it all right on one phone (Droid use an interface similar to iPhone, or iPhone use the better processor of Droid).  I'm sure there are legal contracts about who can use what technology as developed by whom and such, but it certainly seems to me like there's always a way around such things by creating something extremely similar, but just different enough to not infringe.

Very true. I think part of the issue (as is the issue with Mac vs. PC) is that the sacrifice for wanting customizability and pushing the limits with apps is 100% reliable functionality. Apple operates most of their products in a shell and limit exactly how much influence the user can have. For my laptop (Macbook Pro) I'm fine with that, because I just want it to do its thing and have a clean interface, but I'm no novice to the fact that I could do a lot more performance-wise (probably for cheaper - but requiring a bit more work) on a PC.

The same applies to these phones. If you try to push the limits of your Android phone, you'll get their equivalent of the Windows blue screen of death until you figure out how to keep it stable.  You'll also do some things that an iPhone user could never dream of. It's a give and take.

The good news is, with so much competition on the market (including a new Blackberry OS in the works, I believe) this is only going to get better for all of us.  The next technology that needs to catch up is batteries which aren't up to snuff with the power of these phones yet.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2010, 09:23:52 AM »
Heard an interesting take on Apple vs Google over the weekend.  It was paralleled to Apple vs Microsoft in the 80's/90's. 

Apple wants to control the full end-to-end, including hardware, software, what service providers, and the applications.  Google is going after the operating system.

APieperFan3

• Team Captain
  • We Are Marquette
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2010, 12:17:41 AM »
I read an article about the new OS for iPhone. Apparently you can surf the web up to 2x faster!! (they say that every time)...but they are working more towards multi-tasking.

There were some comments about how you can only multi-task while doing certain things. I was a little unclear of what these were...anybody got any info?

Also saw that the new update would be only available for 3gS and newest ipod touch (not sure which generation they are at) at "end of summer" and ready for the iPad "early fall".
The "average fan" is an idiot.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2010, 07:24:33 AM »
There were some comments about how you can only multi-task while doing certain things. I was a little unclear of what these were...anybody got any info?

Right now, unless I'm mistaken, the only multi-tasking you can do in an iPhone is when you are listening to the iPod or talking on the phone.  You can listen to the iPod while doing something else or you can access other apps while talking on the phone.  I'm not aware of any other cases where you can run two apps at once.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2010, 08:10:17 AM »
I also find this question on multi-tasking sort of interesting.

How often do people with iPhones use simultaneous voice and data?  Surfing the web while having a phone call?

mujaxson

• Walk-On
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2010, 08:30:47 AM »

How often do people with iPhones use simultaneous voice and data?  Surfing the web while having a phone call?

I rarely do that with my iPhone.  And on my Droid, I never have the need, unless I need to pull up an email while talking to someone on the phone, which I am still able to do since the Droid saves a local copy of my inbox on the phone (no network needed to view my inbox). 

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2010, 09:12:26 AM »

Very rarely.  I'm not sure I've ever surfed the web while on the phone.  I probably have checked email.

I have used the iPod, though.  Listen to iPod while reading email, reading a book, etc.  One of the things I'd like to do is be able to listen to Pandora while doing other things.  Can't do it.  Also, it would be nice to be able to jump back and forth between the mapping/gps function and the internet.

Moonboots

• Starter
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2010, 09:38:56 AM »

To answer your question, very, very rarely. I don't think I've had an instance with my Droid where I wished I could do that yet.

But I think you're misunderstanding what they mean by multi-tasking. They're referring to the ability to run multiple applications at once, which the iPhone (currently) can't do with anything except its music app. But if you have a game loaded up and want to surf the web or check a sports scores app, you're SOL. On the Droid, you can run multiple applications similar to how you can on a computer.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2010, 10:10:51 AM »
To answer your question, very, very rarely. I don't think I've had an instance with my Droid where I wished I could do that yet.

But I think you're misunderstanding what they mean by multi-tasking. They're referring to the ability to run multiple applications at once, which the iPhone (currently) can't do with anything except its music app. But if you have a game loaded up and want to surf the web or check a sports scores app, you're SOL. On the Droid, you can run multiple applications similar to how you can on a computer.

I'm not, but I did ask an unclear question that appeared related to multi-tasking.  ;)

There is actually a technology limitation that prevents simultaneous voice and data on the CDMA (VzW) Droid devices.  You cannot surf the internet and have a phone call at the same time on those devices.  (Checking email while talking doesn't count).  A few AT&T commercials try to exploit this, but it's not been enough to force the CDMA providers to move to more advanced technology.  That was the impetus for the question.

GoldenWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2010, 10:41:13 AM »
I barely ever use apps or web when on a phone call on my iPhone.  I do wish I could run a few apps at the same time... playing a game, then check a game score without having to close out the game app... excited for the iPhone to be able to do this.

feedback