[May 10, 2024, 09:58:18 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by mugrad_89
[May 10, 2024, 08:12:15 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MUbiz
[May 10, 2024, 03:33:49 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by LloydsLegs
[May 10, 2024, 03:08:28 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Excellent Interview With Jamil Wilson  (Read 4666 times)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Excellent Interview With Jamil Wilson
« on: July 06, 2018, 12:14:57 PM »
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

DCHoopster

• Team Captain
Re: Excellent Interview With Jamil Wilson
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2018, 12:58:20 PM »
Jamil gives his thoughts on the 2018-19 MU roster in a two part interview.  Very Well Done. His comments on Ike are very interesting.

https://247sports.com/college/marquette/Article/Jamil-Wilson-assesses-2018-19-team-119585706/

https://247sports.com/college/marquette/Article/Part-2-Jamil-Wilson-on-MUs-2018-Bigs-Heldt-John-Eke-Morro-119614614/

Pretty high on Ike, maybe 12 deep.  Coaching will be a challenge to make them all happy.  By far, deepest team MU has had in years, maybe ever.    Definitely will
have the ability to find 5 good defenders.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2018, 02:35:00 PM »
People get hurt.  Playing time becomes available.  I sure wish we had Haanif Cheatham last year.  That last game in the NIT was getting to the point that I was hoping we would have enough players to finish.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2018, 02:49:53 PM »
I think Ike has a high ceiling.   When will he reach it?    Will this year's version of Ike be able take minutes from Theo, Joey, Matt, Sam, Morrow, Bailey, Cain?    This year, barring injuries, I think he is still the 12th man.    But I think his presence lessens the need to recruit an impact big for the next year or two. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MUBigDance

• All American
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2018, 04:00:59 PM »
Isn't that something?!...12th man in Ike. What depth. How will the coaches keep everyone happy...they won't. But I hope they are insightful enough to get the best rotation in there....figure it out before the Big East Season.

I also hope the players who don't get the minutes can keep a good attitude....I don't begrudge a player leaving if no opportunity to play. Just don't want a negative circumstance.

AZWarrior

• All American
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2018, 04:22:25 PM »
My favorite take away is that he sees Greg Elliot as a PG.  We are quite deep this year, though not at the point.  Perhaps we're deeper than I realized.
All this talk of rights.  So little talk of responsibilities.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2018, 06:19:02 PM »
Jamil is one of my favorites, as nice a young man as any to play for the Warriors. Hope we're close to as good as he thinks we'll be.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2018, 09:11:45 PM »
Isn't that something?!...12th man in Ike. What depth. How will the coaches keep everyone happy...they won't. But I hope they are insightful enough to get the best rotation in there....figure it out before the Big East Season.

I also hope the players who don't get the minutes can keep a good attitude....I don't begrudge a player leaving if no opportunity to play. Just don't want a negative circumstance.
This is great—players are leaving due to lack of playing time..........but we shouldn’t blame them, it’s just the state of affairs. July 6th.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2018, 09:30:11 PM »
His comments on Bailey seem to be similar to a lot of what we have heard since he’s been back. Might play a big role sooner then many thought.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2018, 10:15:54 AM »
My projection for Ike this year: nada. Don’t need it & don’t expect much of anything.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2018, 10:25:54 AM »
Yeah I’m not sure how much I’m going to put into this based on a couple of smrimmages with key people missing.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2018, 10:37:33 AM »
Yeah I’m not sure how much I’m going to put into this based on a couple of smrimmages with key people missing.

Agreed. Hard to read too much into it when it's all complimentary. Not that I'd expect anything else under the circumstance, but there's scarcely a critical word.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2018, 12:18:54 PM »
Every year we talk about how deep we are going to be this up coming year and every year we fall way short for various reasons.  Ike is not going to play much this year and will look raw.  Bailey is not going to play much this year and he will look rusty.  We will have a better team and a deeper team, hard not to after the last few years but there will be a great divide between the top end of the roster and bottom end.  Sam and Markus will play 30 plus minutes.  That doesn't leave any playing time for anyone past the 9th man on the roster which is a good thing as players 10-13 are probably not ready to contribute to a top 25 team that plays in the Big East.  Then we will see the shake out of who stays and who goes.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2018, 03:46:03 PM »
Every year we talk about how deep we are going to be this up coming year and every year we fall way short for various reasons.  Ike is not going to play much this year and will look raw.  Bailey is not going to play much this year and he will look rusty.  We will have a better team and a deeper team, hard not to after the last few years but there will be a great divide between the top end of the roster and bottom end.  Sam and Markus will play 30 plus minutes.  That doesn't leave any playing time for anyone past the 9th man on the roster which is a good thing as players 10-13 are probably not ready to contribute to a top 25 team that plays in the Big East.  Then we will see the shake out of who stays and who goes.

We went 9 deep in 2017 and 8 deep in 2018. That's pretty decent depth, the only reason it wasn't deeper was the midseason transfers of Traci Carter and Haanif Cheatham.

I imagine next year we'll go 9-10 deep and don't expect anyone to play more than 26-28 minutes. We might have a transfer or two, but even then we will still likely have at least 9 guys who can give significant minutes.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2018, 04:19:16 PM »
We went 9 deep in 2017 and 8 deep in 2018. That's pretty decent depth, the only reason it wasn't deeper was the midseason transfers of Traci Carter and Haanif Cheatham.

I imagine next year we'll go 9-10 deep and don't expect anyone to play more than 26-28 minutes. We might have a transfer or two, but even then we will still likely have at least 9 guys who can give significant minutes.

You play your best players as many minutes as they can handle at a top level.  Howard and Sam will play 30 plus minutes a game.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2018, 04:26:32 PM »

I imagine next year we'll go 9-10 deep and don't expect anyone to play more than 26-28 minutes.

In the Big East season I expect Markus and Sam to get 30+ minutes. Maybe the transfer PG too.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2018, 04:28:17 PM »
When Wojo has had depth, such as two years ago, no one averaged 30+ mpg. If JC is what we think he is, and GE takes that next step, I don’t think Markus is playing 30 mpg. Ditto with Sam with Joey and Jamal.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2018, 04:38:58 PM »
You play your best players as many minutes as they can handle at a top level.  Howard and Sam will play 30 plus minutes a game.

That didn't happen in 2016-17. Look at our last NCAA appearance. Sam led the team in minutes at 26.5 mpg. The benefit Wojo has is the ability to use multiple guys to keep his best players fresh. If we're in a tight game I agree, but I think in terms of averages, we'll see more players playing fewer minutes.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2018, 05:14:36 PM »
Barring injuries to a guard or guards, no one is going to average 30 minutes a game.  Assuming the bench is as good as we think it will be, it will be foolishness to NOT use it to punish the opponent.  And finally, I expect multiple starting lineups.  But by the conference season, I expect to have a consistent group on the floor at winning time.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2018, 05:25:52 PM »
In the Big East season I expect Markus and Sam to get 30+ minutes. Maybe the transfer PG too.

That could very well be the case. We will see though.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2018, 08:13:04 PM »
That didn't happen in 2016-17. Look at our last NCAA appearance. Sam led the team in minutes at 26.5 mpg. The benefit Wojo has is the ability to use multiple guys to keep his best players fresh. If we're in a tight game I agree, but I think in terms of averages, we'll see more players playing fewer minutes.

Sam was a freshmen that year.  I think it would be foolishness if your 2 best players are not playing 30 plus minutes a game.  This board has a tendency to hype up players 8-13 and has over inflated expectations for newcomers. 

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2018, 10:09:31 PM »
Sam was a freshmen that year.  I think it would be foolishness if your 2 best players are not playing 30 plus minutes a game.  This board has a tendency to hype up players 8-13 and has over inflated expectations for newcomers.

Not this year
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2018, 07:32:17 AM »

Which newcomers? The forward that averaged 9.4/7.5 in a high major league? The grad transfer that the staff seems to think is the missing piece? Or the 5-star forward?

We've already seen Howard, Hauser, Anim, Heldt, Cain, Elliott, and John show they can give productive minutes in meaningful games. So that's 10 that seem pretty likely to be able to contribute. I don't know what Eke or Bailey will give, but this team is deep and proven.

Not having to play your best players 30+ minutes isn't a negative, it's a huge positive. Wojo would be foolish not to use that depth, especially with Markus and Sam both coming off seasons plagued by injuries.

feedback