[Today at 11:23:04 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by brewcity77
[Today at 08:37:46 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[May 05, 2024, 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[May 05, 2024, 05:22:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: ND vs. Lou, WOW  (Read 3742 times)

RubyWiscy

• Team Captain
ND vs. Lou, WOW
« on: January 12, 2009, 10:52:48 PM »
This game was just a war.  Every play was intense. Physical. This conference rocks! Can't wait to see how we stack up.

Norm

• All American
Re: ND vs. Lou, WOW
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 10:57:56 PM »
I don't think the refs called a foul on Louisville in the last 10 minutes of the game.

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 11:51:15 PM »
Both teams scared the heck out of me.  I don't see how we beat either one on their home floor.

downtown85

• All American
  • Ad majoram Dei gloriam.
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 11:53:17 PM »
loserville 16-2 in overtime.  shrek must of fouled out early in OT. 

ChuckyChip

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 06:16:43 AM »
Game should have never even went to OT - refs completely blew the call on the backcourt violation at the end of regulation - Louisville should have won it right there,

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 06:55:06 AM »
Game should have never even went to OT - refs completely blew the call on the backcourt violation at the end of regulation - Louisville should have won it right there.
I agree that the referees blew the call, but the Louisville guy took four steps before he dunked.  He basically picked the ball up at the three point line and dunked without dribbling.  If you give Louisville the ball there he definitely travelled, not to mention that the clock probably would have expired (he picked the ball up at 0.8 seconds) before he dunked the ball.  Overtime was the fair/right thing.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

PE8983

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 07:09:24 AM »
They stopped the clock at 0.6 seconds.  He never would have got close to the rim if they hadn't stoped it.  Harangody never touched the ball, and the play should not have been stopped.  By stopping the clock, they actually gave Louisville a last second heave.

robmufan

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2009, 07:34:42 AM »
Both teams scared the heck out of me.  I don't see how we beat either one on their home floor.

Why does a team like ND scare you? 

Sure Harangody will get his, he always has against us.  But you put Mclarney and the tory jackson against Dom and Jerel, I think we have quite the advantage there! 

Stay out of foul trouble at their place and we are fine!

RubyWiscy

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2009, 08:01:06 AM »
I think we can win both games. Our guards and senior experience should hold sway, but I sure would feel better if we had a power center. The big guys on both these teams are brutes who can play.

AlumKCof93

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2009, 09:18:59 AM »
One of hte most amazing parts of the game was the coach cam on Pitino at the end of the game.  For those that didn't see it, this was an intense game and a lot of fun to watch.  But with 4 minutes to go, ESPN put a box on the screen so we could see what Pitino was doing as the plays developed.  I hope ESPN never does this again.  As it is, they play up to coaches way too much.  But to have to watch a coach at the expense of the game - unforgivable!
"Yes, Dinnertime!  The perfect break between work and drunk" - Homer J. Simpson

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2009, 09:21:53 AM »
loserville 16-2 in overtime.  shrek must of fouled out early in OT. 

actually he fouled out with 5.3 seconds left if my memory serves (and it usually does)

he committed a pointless foul when the rest of his team had conceeded defeat.

the crowd booed and he looked like a jackass... yet the announcers decided that 'there is no quit in luke harangody!'

I couldn't help but laugh out loud.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2009, 09:33:07 AM »
The key to Louisville is can Buzz come up with a game strategy to beat them.  Crean couldn't last year.  We got killed twice.  However, we beat WVU this year and we got killed last year, so I have some faith that Buzz and come up with something to score and defend against Louisville.

In regards to ND, the key is defend against Harangody without allowing their 3 point shooters from scoring.   The ND team reminds me of the Pitt team with Aaron Gray and the tall forward from Canada with the goofy haircut. We beat Pitt I believe twice that year.

nola03

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2009, 09:39:42 AM »

I don't share that fear.

Essentially, ND and MU are the same teams from last season. We all know how those three games ended up. MU shot eight FTs last year in South Bend. Eight. Considering we should see at least 25 FTs attempted with our superior atheleticism, Warriors can do it as easy points help the cause.

As for Ville, they've lost at home to Western Kentucky and UNLV and pulled the Kentucky win out of their ass. By all accounts, Nova should have beaten them over the weekend. I imagine if they lost to Nova, people feel differently about them. They are a headless team without Padgett.

ND remains soft as charmin on defense and Louisville remains a disaster in terms of chemistry and individual motives. Considering MU excels in heart and team mindset we should do well in these encounters.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 12:32:00 PM by Arshavin A Good Time »

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2009, 09:41:07 AM »
actually he fouled out with 5.3 seconds left if my memory serves (and it usually does)

he committed a pointless foul when the rest of his team had conceeded defeat.

the crowd booed and he looked like a jackass... yet the announcers decided that 'there is no quit in luke harangody!'

I couldn't help but laugh out loud.

He also did not commit his first foul until the second half (with 18:59 left).

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2009, 09:45:14 AM »
I don't know if it matters how athletic we are; we are going to get robbed in South Bend. Teams know that going in, just as they know it going into Madison. We will outscore ND by five FGs; whether that's enough to win, probably not. Goat Boy will shoot 18 free throws that night.

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2009, 10:20:17 AM »
I disagree with much of the dialogue questioning how we can compete with these teams.  First of all we owned ND 2x last year and would of could have should have won at ND.  Louisville looked much better lastnight, however I beleive much of that had to do with their athletic advantage over ND.  i have watched Louisville play 4 other times this year and thought they absolutely stunk!!  Great individual athleticism but are really struggling at the point and in addtion miss their point center from last year.  Remind me of NC STATE a PG away from being really good.  Biggest problem for MU is the games are on the road not how well we match up with them,  I love MU's chances against either team at home or on a neutral court.  On the road will be a challenge. 

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2009, 10:22:08 AM »
IAs for Ville, they've lost at home to Western Kentucky

The game was in Nashville, not Louisville.  So a neutral loss.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

lab_warrior

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2009, 12:32:54 PM »
I am not concerned about ND, we beat them twice, and should have beaten them in South Bend playing 5 on 8 with the terrible refs.  Basically, just lock down Jackson and McAlarney, make the ogre work for his points, and abuse stiffs like Ayers, Hillesland, or Zellar when we have the ball.
Louisville is a more interesting challenge, they have athletic, NBA-caliber players in TWilliams and Clark, but they seem to already be thinking about the NBA rather than playing now.  If we can shoot well down there and get to the FT line, I like our chances.
Quite frankly, with this senior-laden team and tighter bench rotation, I am not that concerned about us on the road as much as previous years.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2009, 02:31:44 PM »
Well, I'm concerned with ND in that they have the longest home winning streak in the country and we aren't likely to be the ones to end it.  We lost last year at ND because the crowd/refs wouldn't let us win and I see no reason why this year should be any different. 

On a neutral floor, I love our chances, but I give us a 20% chance at best to win at their place.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

MonsterWebWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2009, 07:53:21 PM »
We were the last team to beat them there.  Why wouldn't we be able to do it again?  I think we have as good a shot at beating them this year as any year.  Our guys will not be intimidated by that place.
"We need to get back to eating hamburgers."  - Buzz Williams

feedback