[Today at 08:09:02 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Zog from Margo
[Today at 04:49:39 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[Today at 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB Hot Stove  (Read 3149 times)

MUBurrow

• All American
MLB Hot Stove
« on: July 15, 2010, 04:56:23 PM »
so after checking the small Corey Hart topic far too many times today, I decided its about that time for a hot stove thread.

I really hope that the Brewers start selling soon.  I have gone from waxing in June on how fading into the break might be a blessing in disguise for them, to now sort of hoping that each series doesn't go well to ensure they become sellers.  If this gets any more uncertain I feel like I'll almost be rooting against them for their own good.  Delusional GMs in small markets are funny things.

Anyway, I can't believe there isn't more interest in Fielder. For what it might take to get him, couldn't a team trade for him this season and then sell him again at the deadline next year, recouping a bunch of their investment?  Then he will be a class A and the new team would get draft compensation (or the original team could just hold him if they cant get the equivalent of two picks).  It seems like each team along the way would be able to mitigate their losses for the big guy.  Particularly given his 1.5 years left and the flexibility of a buying team in next years market, i am really surprised there aren't more rumors surrounding him.

Blackhat

• All American
Re: MLB Hot Stove
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 05:17:48 PM »
I have no faith in Doug Melvin to assemble a good pitching staff and am actually hoping he makes no deals.   

Then Melvin gets fired this off season, Brewers hire Paul DePodesta and then trade Fielder and Hart in the off season.   

Pipe dream but Melvin has screwed the pooch the last few years with his total ineptness in acquiring or grooming solid pitching when we had the offensive star power. 

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 05:24:01 PM »
I have no faith in Doug Melvin to assemble a good pitching staff and am actually hoping he makes no deals.   

Then Melvin gets fired this off season, Brewers hire Paul DePodesta and then trade Fielder and Hart in the off season.   

Pipe dream but Melvin has screwed the pooch the last few years with his total ineptness in acquiring or grooming solid pitching when we had the offensive star power. 

This.

Oh, and after putting up a 7+ ERA back in Rookie ball, their first round pick Arnett gets a temporary promotion back to A ball.

Absolutely no ability to judge pitching. Gallardo was the one exception.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 07:13:57 PM »
Hot stove?  It's July! ;D

tower912

• All American
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 08:56:23 PM »
Wanted:   RH set up man, SS who can hit better than .250, catcher who can hit better than .250,   PH with power.     Contact Dave Dombrowski.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2010, 08:05:06 AM »

Anyway, I can't believe there isn't more interest in Fielder.

Thank you Scott Boras.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2010, 08:54:09 AM »
Thank you Scott Boras.

Exactly.  Teams would like to trade for him then resign him once his contract expires but don't want to deal with Boras in doing so.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2010, 09:57:56 AM »
Why is this post on the MU Board?
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2010, 10:03:24 AM »
Why is this post on the MU Board?

Is the concept of the Superbar that difficult to understand?
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

shiloh26

• Starter
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2010, 11:58:40 AM »
I hope they can deal Corey Hart.  We've all seen his epic collapses in the past, and I don't think his trade value is ever going to be higher.  That said, I don't think he alone could net a top young pitching prospect like Bumgarner, or Wade Davis from the Rays, who are also interested.  The Rays have fantastic young pitching in the league (Price, Davis to a lesser extent) and coming up (Hellickson) so perhaps they'd be willing to part with Davis, but not for Corey Hart.  I've also read that the Padres and Braves are interested, and I know nothing about possible players we'd want from them. 

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2010, 12:05:14 PM »
yeah, anyone who watches baseball with any sort of interest knows corey hart is all smoke and mirrors, prone to collapse at a moment's notice and go on month long slumps.  If the brewers want ML ready pitching, their one and only trade chip is Fielder.  But no one wants to sign him long term and commit 120 million to a fat a$$. 

shiloh26

• Starter
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2010, 12:14:47 PM »
yeah, anyone who watches baseball with any sort of interest knows corey hart is all smoke and mirrors, prone to collapse at a moment's notice and go on month long slumps.  If the brewers want ML ready pitching, their one and only trade chip is Fielder.  But no one wants to sign him long term and commit 120 million to a fat a$$. 

Much like Pedro Cerrano before him, Corey Hart no hit curveball.  Straight ball he hit very much, curve ball [at ankles], bats are afraid.  Watching the horrendous mismatch of Corey Hart v. The curveball in the dirt during the 2nd half of 2008 was difficult. 

The thing is, I think everyone else is scared of his collapse in 2008 and his nonexistence in 2009, and that's why they wont give up too much, especially in young talented pitching which is probably the rarest commodity in the game.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2010, 03:54:19 PM »
Much like Pedro Cerrano before him, Corey Hart no hit curveball.  Straight ball he hit very much, curve ball [at ankles], bats are afraid.  Watching the horrendous mismatch of Corey Hart v. The curveball in the dirt during the 2nd half of 2008 was difficult. 

The thing is, I think everyone else is scared of his collapse in 2008 and his nonexistence in 2009, and that's why they wont give up too much, especially in young talented pitching which is probably the rarest commodity in the game.

I think I have the answer for Corey Hart:

feedback