[Today at 08:05:40 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Zog from Margo
[Today at 04:49:39 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[Today at 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Is Crean the Right Guy?  (Read 4527 times)

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
Is Crean the Right Guy?
« on: July 09, 2010, 11:25:20 PM »
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/418205-is-crean-the-right-cream-for-the-crimson

Is Crean The Right Cream For The Crimson?
By Isaiah Clark (Member) on July 09, 2010 13

When it comes to the word “loyalty,” you won’t find a better University for that then Indiana University.  They will stick with you through thick and thin no matter how bad things may be going.  It was seen this past season as they climbed to 11th in the nation in basketball attendance averaging 15,296 fans.

"It's easy to see that the fan base at Indiana is without question the most loyal in the country," said IU Coach Tom Crean. "Their energy and support is playing a big part in our efforts to restore the championship tradition here at IU."

However, lately some fans have started to question whether or not coach, Tom Crean is the right man for the job.  After the job became available thanks to Kelvin Sampson’s debacle, he took the job with open arms and went full steam ahead his first season having only one scholarship player in Kyle Taber.  Even with a top ten recruiting class going into his second season he knew it was still a work in progress.  Just when things started to look bright for the young Hoosiers, they lost freshman and leading scorer Maurice Creek for the season right before Big Ten play.  It seemed before that injury the team had been playing their best ball all season.  Again another road block in rebuilding the program and showing the Hoosier nation that he was the one for the job.

Now, with two years into his tenure, Crean hoists a 16-46 record on his resume. This happens to be the worst record over two years in Indiana University history.  So the questioning begins, is he the one for the job?

Let me just tell you, he is more than right for the job, he is the “one” for the job.  He is an outstanding recruiter, mentor and coach.  His resume at Marquette speaks for itself and his first full recruiting class at Indiana University shows that as well.  The problem with sports and society is they want to see what you can do for them now. Patience is the least of their concerns even though it should be their main focus.

The waterfall that he had hoped to be the damn for has yet to slow down in most eyes of the fans.  What those fans didn’t see last year was a team that had the potential of winning 15-17 games, but some key injuries and lack of experience hurt them down the stretch.  Again, they only look at the final record instead of the progress that they have made.

Tom Crean needs “at least” a four to five year grace period.  First, there isn't a better coach we can find in terms of reputation, ethics and the ability to develop players to get this program back to where it should be nationally.  Second, there isn't a better coach available that would take on the tack of rebuilding this program.  Third, IU will be rebuilt by developing second level talent, not signing the best high school player in the nation.  Lastly, this is going to take at least four or five years to rebuild.  The landscape of college basketball in the Midwest has made it tougher than ever to rebuild.  With Purdue ranked in the top ten, Butler making a championship run and “the cheater,” John Calipari going to Kentucky, recruits in and around Indiana has more of a decision to make.  It isn’t like the old days when coach Knight would make a personal call and the top talent in the state. So relax and enjoy the progress coach Crean is making.  It will take a couple years, but this is the right Crean for the Crimson!!!

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
Re: Is Crean the Right Guy?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 11:50:57 PM »
Someone forgot that Crean has a 10 year contract that IU isn't going to eat.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2010, 12:07:21 AM »
That Creek injury was really devastating for IU. 

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2010, 12:29:25 AM »
That Creek injury was really devastating for IU. 

Seems to have caused a statewide panic attack.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2010, 05:43:05 AM »
If the IU faithful want a self-promoting, egotistical, overpaid, used car salesman, who is all sizzle, but no steak, then yes, Too Tan Tommy is your answer.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2010, 09:16:40 AM »
As the article states..he needs to be given 4-5 years....this is year 3.  The only question mark I have regarding the 4-5 year timeframe is:  What does the author see in last year and this year's recruiting class that leads him to believe there will be enough talent at IU to be good next year?
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

lurch91

• All American
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2010, 11:06:30 AM »
Third, IU will be rebuilt by developing second level talent, not signing the best high school player in the nation. 

WHAT?  Isn't the reason he left for IU because he didn't have to sign second level talent?  He'd be signing the best talent in America because IU recruits itself.  IU recruits with the UNC's, Duke's, Kansas's and UCLA's of the NCAAB world right?

It's Indiana after all.

LCDutchman

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2010, 12:51:51 PM »
Prediction:  Indiana will not win 14 games; no post season; Crean will blame lack of player commitment to his program; Crean will say that we were further down tahn I thought when I left MU. 

Tom Crean is the comsumate jerk.  End of story.
In heaven Marquette always beats Wisconsin

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2010, 01:09:19 PM »
The obsession is pathetic.

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2010, 01:35:51 PM »
Its true about track record.  He recruited one big class and struck out on the next one, and probably the one after that.  I have said this before, but he is going to have a tough road with ND, Butler, and Purdue becoming rising powers in Indiana.  Also, I like how Big 10 basketball is shaping out.  Wisconsin, MSU, and Ohio are consistently good and IL, Purdue, and MN are rising stocks.  Tough competition.
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2010, 01:47:46 PM »
Its true about track record.  He recruited one big class and struck out on the next one, and probably the one after that.  I have said this before, but he is going to have a tough road with ND, Butler, and Purdue becoming rising powers in Indiana.  Also, I like how Big 10 basketball is shaping out.  Wisconsin, MSU, and Ohio are consistently good and IL, Purdue, and MN are rising stocks.  Tough competition.

Not sure I would put ND in the class of rising powers, but I agree with what you are saying in general.  Look south of Bloomington for his biggest problems.  Rick Pitino, John Calipari, and Bruce Pearl are right in his backyard.  Xavier and Dayton are not too shabby either to the east.  Tough time to be recruiting down there on all fronts. 

With all of those programs down there, I am glad Buzz got into Dawsen's top 5.  Let's still hope for an upset and a Dawsen to MU commit. 

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2010, 02:00:57 PM »
The obsession is pathetic.

Your right. The IU fan who wrote this article is pathetically delusional and clearly obsessed. When he refers to TC as "The One" it's downright eerie and serves as a reminder of just how scary blind faith  in the face of contradicting reality can be. Pointing the finger at your predecessor only works for so long - in time all but the true zealots recognize that the emperor is naked and bereft of solutions.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 02:04:08 PM by Lennys Tap »

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2010, 02:18:28 PM »
Its true about track record.  He recruited one big class and struck out on the next one, and probably the one after that.  I have said this before, but he is going to have a tough road with ND, Butler, and Purdue becoming rising powers in Indiana.  Also, I like how Big 10 basketball is shaping out.  Wisconsin, MSU, and Ohio are consistently good and IL, Purdue, and MN are rising stocks.  Tough competition.

I thought IU was one of the "Big Six" and as such "selected" players. That a Purdue, let alone a Butler, can be anything but a minor annoyance to Indiana's recruiting should be heresy. Imagine UCLA, Kansas or UNC mired deep in the second division of their respective conferences and blaming it on the resurgence of Cal, KState or NC State. Wouldn't and shouldn't fly.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 02:58:43 PM by Lennys Tap »

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2010, 02:53:10 PM »
Not sure I would put ND in the class of rising powers, but I agree with what you are saying in general.  Look south of Bloomington for his biggest problems.  Rick Pitino, John Calipari, and Bruce Pearl are right in his backyard.  Xavier and Dayton are not too shabby either to the east.  Tough time to be recruiting down there on all fronts. 

With all of those programs down there, I am glad Buzz got into Dawsen's top 5.  Let's still hope for an upset and a Dawsen to MU commit. 

IU's location is a bit of disadvantage when you are struggling.  I know that region can be a hot bed for basketball talent but its tough to state your case.  I like how Buzz has basically put up a big wall around WI.  Due to his track record with other WI players, I believe JP will pull through too.  Locking in one 4/5 star a year with this strategy is not bad.
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2010, 09:36:38 PM »
I thought IU was one of the "Big Six" and as such "selected" players. That a Purdue, let alone a Butler, can be anything but a minor annoyance to Indiana's recruiting should be heresy. Imagine UCLA, Kansas or UNC mired deep in the second division of their respective conferences and blaming it on the resurgence of Cal, KState or NC State. Wouldn't and shouldn't fly.

It won't fly in perpetuity.  But go back and look at UCLA, KU, UNC and others (since you brought them up) and during their down periods how long it took some, even hall of fame coaches, to bring them back.  You would be surprised. 

He'll get a few more years, and if no success, they'll let him go.  He will likely go .500 this year and get a NIT bit and NCAAs the following years.  Again, since you brought it up, go look up the very history you cite.

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2010, 02:09:00 PM »
It won't fly in perpetuity.  But go back and look at UCLA, KU, UNC and others (since you brought them up) and during their down periods how long it took some, even hall of fame coaches, to bring them back.  You would be surprised. 

He'll get a few more years, and if no success, they'll let him go.  He will likely go .500 this year and get a NIT bit and NCAAs the following years.  Again, since you brought it up, go look up the very history you cite.

For the regular season or Big Ten?  If Big Ten, I would be shocked and impressed.  I think the top 6 teams will have a .500 record or better.  MSU, Wis, IL, MN, Pur, and OSU. 

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2010, 02:45:21 PM »
For the regular season or Big Ten?  If Big Ten, I would be shocked and impressed.  I think the top 6 teams will have a .500 record or better.  MSU, Wis, IL, MN, Pur, and OSU. 

Conversely a .500 record that includes 5 or 6 home gimmes against the little sisters of the poor is decidedly underwhelming. You would expect the bar to be much higher by year three of a rebuilding efffort at a top tier school like Indiana.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2010, 08:36:10 PM »
For the regular season or Big Ten?  If Big Ten, I would be shocked and impressed.  I think the top 6 teams will have a .500 record or better.  MSU, Wis, IL, MN, Pur, and OSU.  

Regular season.  He will not go .500 in the Big Ten this year, it's a loaded conference again.  .500 in the conference likely in year 4.  They were starting from absolute scratch and told not to take any shortcuts, this is why they have done what they have done.  Rebuilding the right way.  They are now starting to take chances on a few kids in the upcoming class that they were not allowed to in the first two. Just the way it is, I know that doesn't fit with some agendas here, but that's the reality of it.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 08:37:54 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2010, 08:39:38 PM »
WTF happened to Crean's recruiting ablility?   

Has old age/enlarged ego caused a disconnect between him and today's recruit?  I thought he'd at least be pulling in ELITE Indiana talent by now.