collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Any Uber Drivers Out there?  (Read 5898 times)

reinko

• All American
Any Uber Drivers Out there?
« on: January 25, 2016, 01:56:11 PM »
I am thinking about helping my dad, who is recently retired sign up to earn some extra cash.  Any thoughts, tips, how long it took to sign up...

Thanks

Coleman

• All American
Re: Any Uber Drivers Out there?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2016, 02:25:25 PM »
I am thinking about helping my dad, who is recently retired sign up to earn some extra cash.  Any thoughts, tips, how long it took to sign up...

Thanks

I am not an Uber driver but I think of lot of the sign up process depends on where you live. Local regulations and such play a big part in determining how many hoops you have to jump through before you are making money.

I am a big Uber user, and most of the drivers I've talked to said they love it for some extra cash here and there. It is a 2nd job for most of them, not the only way they earn a living.  I think it would be extremely tough to try to live on the money you make driving an Uber, but for a retired dude looking for something to do, it probably isn't a bad gig.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2016, 03:00:56 PM »
I hope that what you mean by "helping my dad...sign up" is that you'll help him by asking around for thoughts, tips, etc. (as you are).

If I were an Uber customer, the last thing I'd want is to get into a car where the driver wasn't even able to fill out the application to be a driver.

Out of curiosity one day, I did some research on what it takes to become an Uber driver... honestly, there's not a lot of detailed info out there on the process (including on the Uber website), and what little you do find is a bit inconsistent (though probably because the process is constantly changing); otherwise, either no one wants to speak up, the company keeps a tight lid on things, or the process is so innocuous that no one deems it worthy of online comment.

What I do know is that essentially, it's a three-step process: application, background check/interview, and vehicle inspection.  I would be willing to bet the third step is what trips up applicants the most.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2016, 03:37:27 PM »

Thanks

Don't take calls from Taco Bell employees or physicians...

Death on call

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2016, 10:39:25 AM »
I drive on the weekends for Lyft - an uber competitor.

If you have any specific questions, please let me know.

The process is relatively easy. You send them copies of license and insurance - typically just pictures of them. They run a background check. Lyft, 99% of the time, does vehicle/driver inspections. Uber very rarely follows through on the inspections (that's why you'll occasionally get into a junker). My entire signup process took 3 days.

There are some local regulations, but both companies do a good job of giving you resources to make sure you're abiding by them.

Make sure your dad knows he's going to have to file his quarterlies if he makes more than $1k.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2016, 04:34:19 PM »
The process is relatively easy. You send them copies of license and insurance - typically just pictures of them. They run a background check. Lyft, 99% of the time, does vehicle/driver inspections. Uber very rarely follows through on the inspections (that's why you'll occasionally get into a junker). My entire signup process took 3 days.

I'm a frequent Uber user and don't complain much, but the fall off in car quality once the popularity rose is one of the few negatives.  Early on, you had to have a late model car within a specific year range.  I remember cause my early 2000s BMW 5 series wouldn't have met parameters.  But about a year later I got an old Toyota Corolla missing a hubcap and its been hit or miss since.  Most are fine, a lot of new Camrys, Hondas, and the like.  But I've also gotten some rough ones, but thats about as frequent as the random BMWs or Mercedes I have gotten.  All in all, better than most dirty cabs.

I'm sure it varies, but I had a driver recently tell me he drives about 10 hours a week and it easily covers his car payment and insurance, so thats not a bad side hustle.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2016, 04:52:17 PM »
I'm a frequent Uber user and don't complain much, but the fall off in car quality once the popularity rose is one of the few negatives.  Early on, you had to have a late model car within a specific year range.  I remember cause my early 2000s BMW 5 series wouldn't have met parameters.  But about a year later I got an old Toyota Corolla missing a hubcap and its been hit or miss since.  Most are fine, a lot of new Camrys, Hondas, and the like.  But I've also gotten some rough ones, but thats about as frequent as the random BMWs or Mercedes I have gotten.  All in all, better than most dirty cabs.

I'm sure it varies, but I had a driver recently tell me he drives about 10 hours a week and it easily covers his car payment and insurance, so thats not a bad side hustle.

Yea, Uber quality ("quality" here = auto types/condition) has taken a nose-dive. I don't know specifics on their policies, but they seemed to have widened the "acceptable" range while also decreasing in-person inspections. That goes for every category - uberX, lux, etc.

In Indy, on an average weekend, if I drive 7p-4a on Friday and Saturday, I'll bring home $300-400.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2016, 09:20:10 PM »
I spent $270 on Uber the last two days on long runs to and from an Airport. Really nice young guys who drove me . Students, Musicians And laid off TV repair guy. Gave them all 5s   

The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2016, 08:38:11 AM »
I drove for a bit last year.  It's fun if you pick and choose when you're on the road but it took one Friday night driving people from Wrigleyville, where a girl threw up, for me to say it wasn't worth it. Before that it was alright just relaxing in rush hour knowing that I was making money. The process now is actually a little harder because you have to register with the city not just Uber but it's not terribly hard.
Maigh Eo for Sam

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2016, 10:01:55 AM »
In Indy, on an average weekend, if I drive 7p-4a on Friday and Saturday, I'll bring home $300-400.

Total or each night?

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2016, 10:07:48 AM »

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2016, 10:08:16 AM »
I drove for a bit last year.  It's fun if you pick and choose when you're on the road but it took one Friday night driving people from Wrigleyville, where a girl threw up, for me to say it wasn't worth it. Before that it was alright just relaxing in rush hour knowing that I was making money. The process now is actually a little harder because you have to register with the city not just Uber but it's not terribly hard.

I would never drive in Chicago. Much more accommodating here in Indy, IMO.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2016, 07:05:17 PM »

Too bad that insurance probably wouldn't cover anything while driving Uber.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2016, 08:06:13 PM »
Too bad that insurance probably wouldn't cover anything while driving Uber.

We took Uber exclusively while we were in New Orleans last week and one of the drivers told us that, at least in NOLA, Uber covers your insurance while you are driving for them. All of the cars we used were pretty nice, I would say no older than 5 years and in good condition. Not sure if they have different restrictions down there. I know they have to charge $75 for any airport pickups, which was forced on them by the taxi companies. Of course, the taxis charge $36 for a ride from the airport, or $16 per if it's more than 2 people, so our party of 4 was charged $64 for a 15 minute cab ride from Louis Armstrong.

Seems like a good gig from what I can see, but definitely get to know the local regulations, as it seems the power of the taxi companies and local legislation will greatly impact how the business model is ran.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2016, 09:27:54 PM »

Without snark, is there much of a market for uber later then 02.00 AM on a weekend night in Indy?

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2016, 09:37:36 PM »
Without snark, is there much of a market for uber later then 02.00 AM on a weekend night in Indy?

Around Broadripple and downtown there is.  Especially if there's a game that night.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2016, 08:30:13 AM »

Pretty sure they have college students and twenty-somethings in Indy.
Have some patience, FFS.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2016, 04:12:49 PM »

Bars close at 3. Drunk food open till 4-5. So, ya

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2016, 09:10:45 PM »
Bars close at 3. Drunk food open till 4-5. So, ya

That extra hour for drinking is huge. Now I see why you work until 04.00. Indy bucks the trend a bit for a Midwestern city being open that late for libations. Good to know.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2016, 10:04:30 PM »
That extra hour for drinking is huge. Now I see why you work until 04.00. Indy bucks the trend a bit for a Midwestern city being open that late for libations. Good to know.

Chicago has many bars open until 3 am and 4 am

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2016, 11:35:40 PM »

Yup. Lot of 4 am bars in chicago. One of my favorite bars is actually open until 5 on Saturdays for the real trooper in you. Though the 3 am bar scene in Indy surprises me, good to know.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2016, 12:58:00 AM »
True.  But then people simply head to the clubs between 1-2am instead of the 11-12 like they do in Milwaukee.  No matter the city, the average person can only spend 3 hours in a bar...max.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2016, 01:35:00 AM »
True.  But then people simply head to the clubs between 1-2am instead of the 11-12 like they do in Milwaukee.  No matter the city, the average person can only spend 3 hours in a bar...max.

Oh I beg to differ...

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2016, 09:23:06 AM »

Lived there for nearly a decade. Also, Chicago is separate from every other city in the Midwest.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2016, 12:25:00 PM »
Lived there for nearly a decade. Also, Chicago is separate from every other city in the Midwest.

True statement.

I could be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure Louisville bars are all open till 4, random I know.