'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by MUDPT
[Today at 10:05:13 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by wadesworld
[Today at 09:36:37 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by TSmith34, Inc.
[Today at 08:28:28 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Nukem2
[Today at 01:57:07 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[Today at 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Crowder & Hayward to HOF  (Read 69116 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: Crowder & Hayward to HOF
« Reply #475 on: August 30, 2019, 12:44:15 AM »
"The athletes get compensated enough" isn't a good argument for the likeness conversation. So because something is good enough, that doesn't mean we should try to make it better?

I think 99% of D1 student athletes are fairly to over compensated for the work they do. I also think they should be allowed to profit off their likeness. How much the athletes are compensated is irrelevant to whether or not a player should be allowed to profit of his/her likeness.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #476 on: August 30, 2019, 03:31:14 AM »
I pretty much agree with TAMU and think most people who against really use poor logic to justify why they just like things the way they are.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 06:30:07 AM by Fluffy Blue Monster »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #477 on: August 30, 2019, 06:49:18 AM »
I pretty much agree with TAMU and think most people who against really use poor logic to justify why they just like things the way they are.

It’s largely an American thing.  Our fascination with amateurism and the purity of it is one of the weirdest quirks of our nation.  It goes back to early 20th Century thinking of being a professional in sports as something of ill-repute outside baseball and boxing.  And even then, baseball players couldn’t make a real living simply playing a sport. 

There is nothing remotely amateur about college basketball except the officiating.  Coaches are paid millions of dollars, TV pays exorbitant rights fees and universities are in a constant arms race to build bigger and better facilities and we’re concerned athletes getting likeness compensation might open a Pandora’s Box to what?  A few heavyweights might have an advantage?  They already have that.

I watch grown adults verbally assault college athletes, attack them online all in the name of winning and giving fans a chance to puff their chests out.  It’s laughable to me we’re offended they want to earn off their skills. 
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #478 on: August 30, 2019, 09:08:00 AM »

How u feel bout english? No Matta way north of Milwaukee ainer
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #479 on: August 30, 2019, 09:29:03 AM »
It’s largely an American thing.  Our fascination with amateurism and the purity of it is one of the weirdest quirks of our nation.  It goes back to early 20th Century thinking of being a professional in sports as something of ill-repute outside baseball and boxing.  And even then, baseball players couldn’t make a real living simply playing a sport. 

There is nothing remotely amateur about college basketball except the officiating.  Coaches are paid millions of dollars, TV pays exorbitant rights fees and universities are in a constant arms race to build bigger and better facilities and we’re concerned athletes getting likeness compensation might open a Pandora’s Box to what?  A few heavyweights might have an advantage?  They already have that.

I watch grown adults verbally assault college athletes, attack them online all in the name of winning and giving fans a chance to puff their chests out.  It’s laughable to me we’re offended they want to earn off their skills.

Superb comment.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #480 on: August 30, 2019, 10:06:25 AM »

Again you are lumping all college basketball together.  What happens at the top 50 programs doesn’t mean the same is happening for the other 300, let alone D2 or D3.

Most coaches are not paid millions of dollars.

Most schools are not in an arms race.

The high tv rights paid are for some conferences and many do not even have a tv deal at all.

We keep trying to find a solution to a “problem” that not only doesn’t exist, but where it is perceived to exist only happens to a small number.  Broad brush strokes trying to assess the small sliver that are also going to do just fine when they get out.

You want to make a virtuous argument, your likeness can be marketed if you get a 3.0GPA and got to class.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #481 on: August 30, 2019, 10:15:37 AM »
Again you are lumping all college basketball together.  What happens at the top 50 programs doesn’t mean the same is happening for the other 300, let alone D2 or D3.

The high tv rights paid are for some conferences and many do not even have a tv deal at all.

We keep trying to find a solution to a “problem” that not only doesn’t exist, but where it is perceived to exist only happens to a small number.  Broad brush strokes trying to assess the small sliver that are also going to do just fine when they get out.

You want to make a virtuous argument, your likeness can be marketed if you get a 3.0GPA and got to class.

Then those schools you claim aren’t in an arms race shouldn’t be participating at the same level as the major conferences.  They happily take every dollar they can get from TV and the tournament. 

Amateurism is a sham meant to line the pockets of the few, not the many.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #482 on: August 30, 2019, 10:24:33 AM »
Then those schools you claim aren’t in an arms race shouldn’t be participating at the same level as the major conferences.  They happily take every dollar they can get from TV and the tournament. 

RICO to the hoop with authority!

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #483 on: August 30, 2019, 10:32:36 AM »

I could not agree more. If your school cannot raise the money to pay the players a base salary, move down a division

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #484 on: August 30, 2019, 10:44:44 AM »

I’m trying to figure out what this has to do with profiting off your likeness? Is the argument the TV rights would be lower for the NCAA tourney, so it hurts smaller schools? Otherwise, why would it matter?

I think people are thinking there’s this endless supply of money from boosters that are going to pay every player a million dollars a year. Some might shell out big bucks, but after the top few players, I doubt it will be a ton. The bust rate of the top 100 is high enough that the ROI doesn’t really make sense.

If people are getting paid 100k to shoot a commercial at a car dealership in Kentucky, so be it. They’d probably get some form of that under the table now.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #485 on: August 30, 2019, 10:54:07 AM »

Yep.

And Division 1 is too large anyway.  They could drop 1/3 of its members and it would have no real impact on the game.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #486 on: August 30, 2019, 11:43:14 AM »

And again, Unk, you have nailed it.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #487 on: August 30, 2019, 11:58:57 AM »
I’m trying to figure out what this has to do with profiting off your likeness? Is the argument the TV rights would be lower for the NCAA tourney, so it hurts smaller schools? Otherwise, why would it matter?

I suspect the fear is that if corporate sponsors are giving players endorsement deals, that will come from the came pool of money that today is going to the schools. Money for players = less money for the schools.

And Uncle Rico is right. Why are we insisting that the schools that have built successful programs subsidize their unsuccessful competitors?

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #488 on: August 30, 2019, 12:14:46 PM »
U guys are complete losers.  Take it to the superbar
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #489 on: August 30, 2019, 12:20:28 PM »
And Uncle Rico is right. Why are we insisting that the schools that have built successful programs subsidize their unsuccessful competitors?

Ahhh, surely you’re against Title IX!
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #490 on: August 30, 2019, 12:29:16 PM »

Title IX wouldn’t be an issue.  Female athletes could get compensated for their likeness as well

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #491 on: August 30, 2019, 12:37:12 PM »
But if the money goes to the players and not the schools in order to fund the other non revenue sports those sports will disappear.  This is a circular argument going nowhere.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #492 on: August 30, 2019, 12:47:21 PM »
But if the money goes to the players and not the schools in order to fund the other non revenue sports those sports will disappear.  This is a circular argument going nowhere.

Schools aren’t going to get TV money?  Why be in a conference then?  Let’s not act like there isn’t enough money being spread around in major college sports that the women’s soccer team would somehow be in jeopardy if athletes got likeness compensation.

Universities will have to ask themselves what is their purpose then if the doomsday scenarios of athletes getting compensated for their name and likeness come true like some fear. 

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #493 on: August 30, 2019, 12:47:39 PM »

Irrelevant.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #494 on: August 30, 2019, 01:11:55 PM »

What money would stop going to schools and start going to the players if the players were allowed to profit off their likeness? Honest question, I've never heard this argument before.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #495 on: August 30, 2019, 01:26:27 PM »

There is some truth to that, but it also means you should stop implying that all these coaches are making millions, that programs are all doing these things you don’t agree with.  They simply aren’t.

As for the money, all the membership receives some dollars.  They provide the competition and as long as that is the case, they will be entitled to some of it.  We can say lop off 100 or 150 schools, good luck with scheduling when that happens.

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #496 on: August 30, 2019, 01:28:16 PM »

Yep.

And Division 1 is too large anyway.  They could drop 1/3 of its members and it would have no real impact on the game.

Patently untrue.  Aside from massive schedule disruption, it would also take away opportunities for thousands of student athletes as well.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #497 on: August 30, 2019, 01:29:34 PM »
I suspect the fear is that if corporate sponsors are giving players endorsement deals, that will come from the came pool of money that today is going to the schools. Money for players = less money for the schools.

Why do we insist on successful people subsidizing other citizens....think of it as a tax then you can get your head around it and like it.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #498 on: August 30, 2019, 01:35:52 PM »

I think people are thinking there’s this endless supply of money from boosters that are going to pay every player a million dollars a year. Some might shell out big bucks, but after the top few players, I doubt it will be a ton. The bust rate of the top 100 is high enough that the ROI doesn’t really make sense.

If people are getting paid 100k to shoot a commercial at a car dealership in Kentucky, so be it. They’d probably get some form of that under the table now.

I’m merely pointing out the argument continues to be Johnny Studmuffin could make more money if he wasn’t being put on the NCAA plantation (those exact words have been used by some, I am not exaggerating).  Or coaches make millions.  TV money everywhere.

Broad brushes that impact not that many programs....a solution in search of a problem.

Then of course there is the typical, “well it is happening anyway” so shine some light on it and it makes it all better somehow....which isn’t the case.  How about we work harder on punishing those that do it underhanded rather than opening up the flood gates.  More importantly. It creates even further competitive imbalance.  Bigger schools have more alums, more alums means more rich alums, more businesses, etc...it is all about scale...some of you are literally saying let the rich get richer or the big get bigger.  Scale is a great thing if you have it.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 03:10:06 PM by Cheeks »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #499 on: August 30, 2019, 02:59:03 PM »
Why do we insist on successful people subsidizing other citizens....think of it as a tax then you can get your head around it and like it.

1. Politics
2. Bad analogy. It would be more like insisting that McDonald's subsidize Hardee's.

feedback