collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Custard Rankings  (Read 3977 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Custard Rankings
« on: December 16, 2020, 02:31:55 PM »
Since someone actually stated the opinion that Kopp's is better than Leon's and put it out there for the entire internet to see, this topic was needed.  What are your favorite custard places?  It can be from anywhere, but if you're getting custard outside of Wisconsin, are you even getting custard?

I suppose you can add best ice cream places if you like one more than your favorite custard spot.  But really?

For me, it goes...

1) Leon's
2) LeDuc's
3) Murf's

Everything else is behind by a fairly wide margin.  In my opinion, Kopp's is one of the most overrated things in Milwaukee.  Don't get me wrong, I won't complain about having to eat Kopp's.  But people act like it's something you should travel far and wide just to get.  It's simply average custard.  In the same tier as a Gille's, a step above a Culver's, but clearly behind the top 3.

(I think this topic may have already been made, but I'm heated over this...)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2020, 02:34:34 PM by BLM »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
Re: Custard Rankings
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2020, 02:47:15 PM »
I have not tried LeDuc's or Murf's. Sounds like I should. Problem is, if I am in Milwaukee with my family and I suggest we go anywhere but Leon's, I will be vetoed bigly.

I have tried Kopp's and Gilles and totally agree that neither is in Leon's league.

In addition to being the least-expensive by far -- two big scoops for around $2 -- Leon's is spectacular, both the flavor and the consistency. They take butter pecan custard and wait until the end to blend in crunchy, salty pecans. So when you eat it, the pecans aren't all soggy and wimpy. So good! Vanilla and a few other flavors also are excellent. The chocolate is a little bitter, though.

We had a big family outing to the MU-Providence game in 2019 and then, of course, went to Leon's. My son-in-law got a double and loved it so much that he went back and got another one! (And he's effen skinny, the jerk!) And my daughter-in-law has since talked my son into driving about an hour from the northern Chicago burbs to go to Leon's on multiple occasions -- not that it took a lot of convincing.

For those who live on the N side of Chicago (or nearby), there's a very good mom-and-pop custard place called Scooter's. Pricey but they do a nice job. I think they take a vacation in the winter, so make sure it's open before you go.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2020, 02:48:44 PM »
Since someone actually stated the opinion that Kopp's is better than Leon's and put it out there for the entire internet to see, this topic was needed. 
LOL! ;D
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2020, 03:01:04 PM »

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2020, 03:05:06 PM »
My wife grew up in "Stallis near Golden Gyros and it is legit the best custard I have had. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2020, 03:06:06 PM »
I have not tried LeDuc's or Murf's. Sounds like I should. Problem is, if I am in Milwaukee with my family and I suggest we go anywhere but Leon's, I will be vetoed bigly.

I have tried Kopp's and Gilles and totally agree that neither is in Leon's league.

In addition to being the least-expensive by far -- two big scoops for around $2 -- Leon's is spectacular, both the flavor and the consistency. They take butter pecan custard and wait until the end to blend in crunchy, salty pecans. So when you eat it, the pecans aren't all soggy and wimpy. So good! Vanilla and a few other flavors also are excellent. The chocolate is a little bitter, though.

We had a big family outing to the MU-Providence game in 2019 and then, of course, went to Leon's. My son-in-law got a double and loved it so much that he went back and got another one! (And he's effen skinny, the jerk!) And my daughter-in-law has since talked my son into driving about an hour from the northern Chicago burbs to go to Leon's on multiple occasions -- not that it took a lot of convincing.

For those who live on the N side of Chicago (or nearby), there's a very good mom-and-pop custard place called Scooter's. Pricey but they do a nice job. I think they take a vacation in the winter, so make sure it's open before you go.

Only been to scooters once years ago but it was delicious and my fiancé still talks about it as if it was life changing.

Never went to any of the MKE places other than Kopps which was underwhelming
Maigh Eo for Sam

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2020, 03:10:30 PM »

Murf's is out on the Brookfield/Milwaukee border, so out of the way for an MU game.  But they do have good burgers and chicken tenders, which is my only knock on Leon's (not much diversity at all in terms of food).  So if you wanted to make a lunch out of it, I personally find it worth it, although the flavor of the day can be the deciding factor (if they have French silk pie, it's absolutely going out of the way for, in my opinion).

LeDuc's is about a half hour drive from downtown, out west in the Kettle Moraine area.  So if you want to go out to Lapham Peak for a hike and then get yourself a burger and some custard, it's worth it, but otherwise it's a drive to get to it.  I now work with the woman who opened it (along with her husband).  She said when they made the decision to open the shop she went and worked at Leon's to learn the way, then I think she mentioned buying some of their machines from them?  Could be wrong on that though.  But the gap between LeDuc's and Leon's is much smaller than the gap between LeDuc's and Murf's to me.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2020, 03:24:46 PM »
Leon’s, then Adrian’s in Burlington.
Scooter’s is closed for the winter. I was there for their last afternoon, about five of us were waiting outside for them to open. Just finished off my chocolate. Owned by a friend of my cousin.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2020, 04:08:46 PM »
Adrian’s in Burlington WI for me.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2020, 04:18:10 PM »
Leon's is spectacular, but I usually go to Kopp's when in Milwaukee because it's my daughter's favorite. I actually think it's pretty good, and I would note that they also add the nuts, etc. when you order, so they don't get mushy. The only other place mentioned above that I've tried is Gilles, but it has been years.

Just to put a non-Milwaukee place out there:

Ted Drewe's. The main location is on Route 66 on the way out of St. Louis, and opened in 1941. Excellent stuff. Not as good as the best of the best in MKE, but probably the best I've had anywhere else.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2020, 04:28:44 PM »
Based on the ones I went to growing up

Gille's
Kopps
Culver's
Oscar's

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2020, 04:31:25 PM »
Ted Drewes in St. Louis.  Honestly, it isn't even close. 

And I like Gille's Kopp's Culver's and a few I've tried in Chicago.

Doh- just saw Gooooo!  Agree with the endorsement, but not the ranking!  And the atmosphere is great too (outside only--a true stand, though a large one with sometimes looong waits
« Last Edit: December 16, 2020, 04:33:00 PM by LloydsLegs »

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2020, 04:37:48 PM »
Ted Drewes in St. Louis.  Honestly, it isn't even close. 

And I like Gille's Kopp's Culver's and a few I've tried in Chicago.

Doh- just saw Gooooo!  Agree with the endorsement, but not the ranking!  And the atmosphere is great too (outside only--a true stand, though a large one with sometimes looong waits

To be fair to Ted Drewe's, the only time I was there was on a cold December evening. It was great, but the cold weather might have contributed to it tasting a little 'less great' than it might on a hot summer night.

Maybe I'll have to take a summer roadtrip to make a more scientific comparison.... 8-)

The Big East

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2020, 04:52:49 PM »
The best thing about Kopps, is they own Elsa on the Park, which has phenomenal broccoli side dish. Maybe the best I have ever had.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2020, 04:54:43 PM »
Leons
Gillies
Kopps
Oscars
Michael's here in Madison
Culvers
The rest

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2020, 05:40:28 PM »
Based on the ones I went to growing up

Gille's
Kopps
Culver's
Oscar's

Forgot about Oscar's.  Their peanut butter cup sundae might be the best item I've had of all the custard spots.  Absolutely amazing peanut butter sauce.  I would put that at 4 in my rankings, clearly below Murf's to me but clearly above Gille's/Kopp's.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2020, 05:43:55 PM »
Custard/ice cream. Shake/malt. Tomayto/tomahto.

It's all the same to me.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2020, 05:45:29 PM »
I haven't tried most of the custard places listed.  I want to try Leon's at some point and my wife tells me LeDuc's is legit.  Kopp's is the best custard I've had.  Culver's is ok.  Not impressed with Michael's in Madison.

But my go to ice cream spot is Sassy Cow, located 20 min NE of Madison.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2020, 08:46:17 PM »
Custard/ice cream. Shake/malt. Tomayto/tomahto.

It's all the same to me.

Psshhhhhaaa.

Malt >>>>>> Shake
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2020, 08:51:21 PM »
If anyone has been to an event at Villa Terrace on Terrace Ave near McKinley Beach, but the huge limestone mansion next door is actually the Kopps family home.  If you needed evidence of how much those few locations bring in

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2020, 09:32:13 PM »

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2020, 10:21:39 PM »
Just wanted to shoutout a place from childhood in Waukesha in Mack's. Would run into Majeris there every summer when he would be back visiting his mom.
But I like to throw handfuls...

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2020, 10:24:29 PM »

To be fair to Ted Drewe's, the only time I was there was on a cold December evening. It was great, but the cold weather might have contributed to it tasting a little 'less great' than it might on a hot summer night.

Maybe I'll have to take a summer roadtrip to make a more scientific comparison.... 8-)

They celebrated 90 years in business last year. The St. Louis Hills/Chippewa/Route 66/South City is the main location. But there is another seasonal only location on South Grand, also in South City.

The main location also sells Christmas Trees every year from their family farm in Nova Scotia.

If you can't get to those locations, Ted Drewes is also available at Lambert Airport, and in some grocery stores and restaurants. (It's also previously been available at Ballpark Village.)

But the Chippewa and Grand South City locations will give you the atmosphere, and fun crowds after games and events.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2020, 10:26:20 PM by shoothoops »

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2020, 10:28:50 PM »
They celebrated 90 years in business last year. The St. Louis Hills/Chippewa/Route 66/South City is the main location. But there is another seasonal only location on South Grand, also in South City.

The main location also sells Christmas Trees every year from their family farm in Nova Scotia.

If you can't get to those locations, Ted Drewes is also available at Lambert Airport, and in some grocery stores and restaurants. (It's also previously been available at Ballpark Village.)

But the Chippewa and Grand South City locations will give you the atmosphere, and fun crowds after games and events.

Even though I went in December, the Chippewa location had plenty of business. I can only imagine how great it would be on a hot summer night.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2020, 11:26:26 PM »
Murf's is out on the Brookfield/Milwaukee border, so out of the way for an MU game.  But they do have good burgers and chicken tenders, which is my only knock on Leon's (not much diversity at all in terms of food).  So if you wanted to make a lunch out of it, I personally find it worth it, although the flavor of the day can be the deciding factor (if they have French silk pie, it's absolutely going out of the way for, in my opinion).

LeDuc's is about a half hour drive from downtown, out west in the Kettle Moraine area.  So if you want to go out to Lapham Peak for a hike and then get yourself a burger and some custard, it's worth it, but otherwise it's a drive to get to it.  I now work with the woman who opened it (along with her husband).  She said when they made the decision to open the shop she went and worked at Leon's to learn the way, then I think she mentioned buying some of their machines from them?  Could be wrong on that though.  But the gap between LeDuc's and Leon's is much smaller than the gap between LeDuc's and Murf's to me.

Thanks for the info.

And yes, Leon's food blows. We almost always go somewhere to eat and then there for dessert.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson