[Today at 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[Today at 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by dgies9156
[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Who are our children's heroes?  (Read 6223 times)

Benny B

• All American
Re: Who are our children's heroes?
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2018, 10:08:21 AM »
What's the word for someone who has committed heroic actions but is still a flawed human being?

Role model.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2018, 11:47:18 AM »
I guess I don't view hero and putting someone on a pedestal as the same thing. If the implication of being hero means they must be perfect, then does that mean that heroes don't exist? What's the word for someone who has committed heroic actions but is still a flawed human being?
Human
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2018, 12:19:49 PM »
Role model.

What's between role model and hero? Role model doesn't cover it for me.

Human

I suppose...but so are the people who commit heinous actions.

I guess I just don't agree with the idea that heroes don't exist. Hero to me doesn't mean perfect, heroes are heroes because they are flawed human beings who overcome their limitations to do heroic things in certain situations.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2018, 12:24:59 PM »

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/hero

Definition of hero

a : a mythological or legendary figure often of divine descent endowed with great strength or ability
b : an illustrious warrior
c : a person admired for achievements and noble qualities
d : one who shows great courage

I think too many people are thinking about (a), when in reality you are talking about (c)

tower912

• All American
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2018, 12:36:36 PM »
The problem with heroes is that because they are human, they will  are flawed and will ultimately make a human error that will ruin the illusion and lead to disappointment. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2018, 01:07:21 PM »

Definition of hero

a : a mythological or legendary figure often of divine descent endowed with great strength or ability

I think too many people are thinking about (a), when in reality you are talking about (c)

Your link might be out of date; there has been an addendum:

e : anyone who puts Wisconsin basketball on the map
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2018, 01:16:09 PM »
The problem with heroes is that because they are human, they will  are flawed and will ultimately make a human error that will ruin the illusion and lead to disappointment.

I guess that's where I differ. I don't have any illusion about "heroes." I know they are human and will make mistakes. To me, that makes them more heroic than some fictitious idea of a perfect being. If they didn't have to overcome their humanity to do what they did, then why would it be heroic?
TAMU

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2018, 01:16:24 PM »
Your link might be out of date; there has been an addendum:

e : anyone who puts Wisconsin basketball on the map

This is excellent
TAMU

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2018, 02:31:25 PM »

Definition of hero

Or "d".

My two heroes are:

1) the tank guy in Tiananman Square
2) Vedran Smailović

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2018, 03:47:22 PM »

I guess I just don't agree with the idea that heroes don't exist. Hero to me doesn't mean perfect, heroes are heroes because they are flawed human beings who overcome their limitations to do heroic things in certain situations.

The way I look at it, heroes are recognized for momentary accomplishments while role models are recognized for what they achieve over time.  Accordingly, heroism requires an extraordinary act.

Additionally, I consider a role model as more universal, i.e. anyone can be a role model to anyone, whereas a hero is specific to the person(s) directly affected by such extraordinary act.  Example: a firefighter who carries an unconscious person out of a burning building is a hero to that person, not to the rest of the world.  In other words, not everyone has a hero.

And therein lies the problem... too many people seem to think they need a hero instead of simply trying to be their own champion.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2018, 09:32:36 PM »
What's the word for someone who has committed heroic actions but is still a flawed human being?

Pretty sure it is hero.  Everyone else is just a flawed human being that hasn't committed heroic actions. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2018, 09:35:56 PM »
Pretty sure it is hero.  Everyone else is just a flawed human being that hasn't committed heroic actions.

Yup.  The hero's journey is not without hiccups.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2018, 09:58:32 PM »

Definition of hero

Well stated.

And sure heroes are flawed. At least they always are in the Marvel and DC universes!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2018, 11:50:07 PM »
Or "d".

My two heroes are:

1) the tank guy in Tiananman Square
2) Vedran Smailović

On your tank guy reference brought me a tear. Let me explain.

My brother was diagnosed last week with stage 4 colon cancer, liver cancer and some in his lungs. Nothing to do ...he is back home in hospice and will pass before year end....he spent his work life in TV news and one of his favorite pieces he put together was on the Tiananmen Square protests.

As I also enjoy Les Miserables, I am moved by the video and by my brothers gift for moving music videos. Please watch and enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgYZkdA5nBc
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 12:01:49 AM by houwarrior »
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2018, 12:30:30 AM »

My brother was diagnosed last week with stage 4 colon cancer, liver cancer and some in his lungs. Nothing to do ...he is back home in hospice and will pass before year end....he spent his work life in TV news and one of his favorite pieces he put together was on the Tiananmen Square protests.

As I also enjoy Les Miserables, I am moved by the video and by my brothers gift for moving music videos. Please watch and enjoy

My prayers are with your brother and your family.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2018, 09:12:25 AM »

Very sad news, hou. I hope your brother is living as comfortably as possible and is surrounded by love.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2018, 09:25:33 AM »
Check out this video of this one-armed catcher. Pretty amazing and inspirational:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iNsBtZumJA&feature=youtu.be

It reminded me of Sam, one of my son's 6th-grade basketball and flag football teammates. Sam was playing on two artificial legs -- and this was 18 years ago, way before the technology on prosthetics was as highly developed as now.

In football, my son was the QB and Sam was his top receiver. Sam was always making amazing diving catches, and they combined for about 20 TDs. In basketball, my son was the PG and Sam was the 2, and he was a nice player, especially on defense. When my son would come out of the game, Sam would shift to PG and did a very good job. Sam was just a great kid, too, had a wonderful attitude and a fun personality.

It was truly inspirational, and my son once said, "Sam is my hero."

I absolutely approve of kids having that kind of hero!

feedback