[Today at 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[Today at 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by dgies9156
[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Boston to Marquette road trip recommendations  (Read 11702 times)

Celtic Truth

• Starter
  • THE TRUTH
Boston to Marquette road trip recommendations
« on: June 11, 2015, 05:50:54 PM »
I have never driven from Boston to Milwaukee and this August me and my dad are considering driving out to school. We'd take about 5-6 days to do the trip and stop off a bunch of times along the way. We are city people and really interested in visiting cities in between that we normally wouldn't visit. We are still debating routes and I was wondering what cities people would recommend visiting for any amount of time.

Right now I think our route will be from Boston, Albany, Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Columbus, cincinnati, Louisville, Indy, Chicago, milwaukee. I don't think we'll spend much time in Chicago, we've been there before.

Anything notable to do/see/eat/drink in those cities? We like exploring cool urban neighborhoods and eating at good local places. Not afraid to go off the beaten path to get a good feel for the city.

Here's some things were considering: state capital building tours in Albaby, Columbus, Indy. Cincinnati Chili, Buffalo wings. Niagara Falls. Ballpark tours in Cincy and Pitt. Louisville slugger museum. Any recommendations on bourbon tours in L'ville? I know Evan Williams has something downtown. And we'll probably spend a lot of time walking around the cities exploring downtown and other cool neighborhoods.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Jay Bee

• All American
Re: Boston to Marquette road trip recommendations
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2015, 06:58:58 PM »
Was in Louisville last fall and dropped down to Frankfort to tour Buffalo Trace. It's about an hour away and near the state capitol, which you should tour. The guards (chicks who wanted it) were really nice and we were able to roam around in there freely.

Jeff Ruby's steakhouse downtown L'Ville was very good. If you're looking for a HJ, check out PT's Showclub. Very naughty.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2015, 07:14:19 PM »
Ann Arbor. The Big House. Hail!

Death on call

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2015, 10:05:04 PM »
Skip Columbus.  Head towards Sabdusky and take in Kelley's Island and Put-in bay.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2015, 10:08:43 AM »
I heard you can get some if you have 15 seconds at Porcini's in Loavull (too obvious?)

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2015, 12:10:54 PM »
Celtic,
As a regular road tripper, a few things first.  My recent long drives include (2) trips from Connecticut to Myrtle Beach, (4) trips from Connecticut to Florida and (1) trip from Connecticut to Milwaukee for my 20 Year Reunion.

* If your a AAA member go into to your nearest branch and pick up the free tour books for members.  It's loaded with the things to see and has good city maps with all the hotels and POI on the same map.
* Google Maps is your friend.  Plot out driving times between cities.  If you arrive in a city after 5 or 6 o'clock, things might be closed already for the day.
*  If you want to see a baseball game, check baseball schedules ahead of time so you know when the team is home and if its a day or night game.
* We like driving, because we end up brin

Since you mentioned August the first thing I would throw at you is:
1) Saratoga, NY - Their motto is, "The August place to be."  It's horse racing season from July 24 through Labor Day.  A unique place to spend a day at the track, with a cool downtown with plenty of restaurants and bars open to 4:00am on the weekend that's loaded with "Horse People" and Skidmore College people.  Plus if you want to golf there is fairly inexpensive, but two very nice courses at the State Park in town where you can cool down in a public pool afterwards if desired.  You need to bring empty containers to fill up with the famous spring & mineral water (also at the State park.)  Plus you can visit the nearby historic battlefield.

2) Niagara Falls is worth the site if you've never seen it before.  Other than the up close view of the Falls there's not much to see on the American side.  The Canadian side is vastly improved from 20 years ago and if you spend the night, stay there.  On the Canadian side take the 20/25 minute drive to Niagara-on-the-Lake.  Pick up some local wine as there about 50 wineries in the area.  Toronto is only 1.5hrs from Niagara Falls, but it maybe too off your path.

3) Pittsburgh - Only had (1) night there on the return home from Milwaukee.  We enjoyed very much.  Walking around the rivers and over the bridges is quite a site.  There was a cool brewery/restaurant in a old church simply called "The Church" Brewery.  Over in the Hard Rock CafĂ© area, there is an Incline (called Fumacolares in Italy) straight up the cliff with cool views of the city and a nice ice cream shop on top the cliff disembarkment point.  "Watched" a Pirates game from way up there.  If you like Andy Warhol, it's his hometown and there is an Warhol Art Museum right next to the Pirates ballpark.

4) Hershey, PA - I have kids, so we visited the chocolate factory for the tour.  Downtown is unique with Hershey Kiss-shaped streetlights.

5) Cleveland - Rock and Roll Hall of Fame among other things.  Plenty of other POIs depending on what you like.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2015, 12:31:19 PM »

Death on call

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2015, 12:51:41 PM »
You didn't list it, but I just went to Jacobs Field in Cleveland and liked it a lot. Sit in center field, eat and drink a variety of cheap options, and scope out the bullpen with their unusual setup. Good times.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2015, 01:07:23 PM »
Might wanna stop in Bloomin'ton and visit the tree the faithful will likely hang ol' CTC in effigy, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2015, 04:26:21 PM »
I second the Church brewery in Pittsburgh. Also if you're looking for a local sandwich joint, Primanti Bros. is a good option there.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2015, 08:20:34 PM »
I like Cincinnati a lot.  I'll be interested in your take on Cinncinati style chili (I think it blows in comparison to RC). 

Makers Mark has a wonderful tour.  Much better than  Jim Beam.
Ludum habemus.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2015, 10:53:17 PM »
Just be careful about the weather. Keep updated as you're traveling so you don't run into any weather troubles.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com//v/RMR8zgE5_ok" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com//v/RMR8zgE5_ok</a>

« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 10:55:35 PM by Jay Bee »
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2015, 11:07:18 PM »
If you're stopping in the Indy area, definitely check out the gym from Hoosiers in Knightstown. You can rent it for $25/hr and play on the court. If you like the movie, you will love the place.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2015, 12:57:11 AM »
Three floyds brewery Munster Indiana. By far my most favorite craft brewery. Great food there as well... Not the best servers but worth it.
Maigh Eo for Sam

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2015, 06:57:48 AM »
Forgot to mention The Great Lakes Brewery and restaurant in Cleveland.  Love the Dortmunder Gold.

The beauty of road tripping (in an SUV) is that I always have plenty of room to bring beer and wine home to enjoy after vacation.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 07:00:36 AM by MU Fan in Connecticut »

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2015, 08:41:57 AM »
Kelleys Island brewery.  Say hi to the owner, Patti Johnson for me.

The Village Pump on Kelley's has to die for perch.  They have a tartar sauce that I've not quite replicated, and will probably die trying. 

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2015, 09:16:31 PM »
South Bend, IN. I heard there's a great big urinal there called ND.

Sandusky, OH. (Cedar Point). Some of the damn best roller coasters in the US.

Canton, OH. Pro Football HOF.

SS Marquette

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2015, 09:37:45 PM »
South Bend, IN. I heard there's a great big urinal there called ND.

Sandusky, OH. (Cedar Point). Some of the damn best roller coasters in the US.

Canton, OH. Pro Football HOF.

Cedar Point rocks.  And, they still have the Blue Streak.  Iconic wooden roller coaster.

Take the jet boat to Put In Island.  Spend the afternoon at the roundhouse.  Take the ferry to Kelleys and have the perch at the Village Pump.  Finish at Patti Johnson's and the Kelleys Island Brewery.

If I could persuade Mrs C., I'd retire on Kelleys.

77ncaachamps

• All American
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2015, 09:59:43 PM »
Cedar Point rocks.  And, they still have the Blue Streak.  Iconic wooden roller coaster.

Take the jet boat to Put In Island.  Spend the afternoon at the roundhouse.  Take the ferry to Kelleys and have the perch at the Village Pump.  Finish at Patti Johnson's and the Kelleys Island Brewery.

If I could persuade Mrs C., I'd retire on Kelleys.

Yup.

It's like an adult playground with the rides pretty much leaving the little ones behind.
SS Marquette

Celtic Truth

• Starter
  • THE TRUTH
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2015, 03:34:22 PM »
Update: we pretty much have our itinerary set. Boston-harrisburgh-Pittsburgh-Cleveland-Detroit-Muskegon- ferry to Milwaukee. We will be in Harrisburg for 1 day mostly because it's an easy stop on the way to Pitt and my dad wants to see their state capital. We will hit Fallingwater(Frank Lloyd Wright house) on the way to Pitt. We'll then spend about a day and a half in Pitt, Cle, and Det. We don't have much time to spend in Muskegon but I heard their beaches are nice so maybe another time. Pretty much just gunna get there and get on the ferry. Anyone have recommendations for things to do/eat/see in Pitt, Cle, and Det? We're thinking maybe a PNC ballpark tour, rock and Roll HOF, and a lot of walking/exploring. Thanks for any recommendations

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2015, 04:23:50 PM »
Update: we pretty much have our itinerary set. Boston-harrisburgh-Pittsburgh-Cleveland-Detroit-Muskegon- ferry to Milwaukee. We will be in Harrisburg for 1 day mostly because it's an easy stop on the way to Pitt and my dad wants to see their state capital. We will hit Fallingwater(Frank Lloyd Wright house) on the way to Pitt. We'll then spend about a day and a half in Pitt, Cle, and Det. We don't have much time to spend in Muskegon but I heard their beaches are nice so maybe another time. Pretty much just gunna get there and get on the ferry. Anyone have recommendations for things to do/eat/see in Pitt, Cle, and Det? We're thinking maybe a PNC ballpark tour, rock and Roll HOF, and a lot of walking/exploring. Thanks for any recommendations

As I said. Ann Arbor. The Big House. Hail!

Death on call

tower912

• All American
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2015, 04:48:42 PM »
Skip Detroit, drive 2 hours up the road to Grand Rapids, engage in microbrewery nirvana.  (Founders, Perrin, Brewery Vivant, Harmony Brewing, Grand Rapids Brewing, the Mitten.....)   Start your day only 45 minutes from the ferry in Muskegon.   BTW, Muskegon is pretty much an armpit.    Other than the ferry to Milwaukee, (and their Irish Music festival in September) go to ANY OTHER lakeside city in West Michigan.  
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 04:50:32 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2015, 04:52:59 PM »
Eat at Primanti Bros in Pittsburgh.

77ncaachamps

• All American
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2015, 06:23:35 PM »
Greektown in Detroit but the great renaissance hasn't happened yet in Dtown.

Can you make it north to Fort Mackinac?

How about play some streetball in Flint? ;)
SS Marquette

ShootinOutWallsofHeartach

• Walk-On
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2015, 01:04:06 AM »
Harrisburg is a cool town. There are a couple great breakfast spots on the main drag, the locals will point you right. Take a side trip in the evening to Penn Natl Race Course if they are running that day. Also, Steelton is just outside town, and if you can find the Croatian Hall open, you will never eat better. I think the Hershey Chocolate factory there is now closed, and there used to be Steel Mill tours, but that industry is struggling. The Capitol building in Harrisburg is quaint and very accessible to the public. When we were there about ten years ago, the Governor was actually inviting constituents and tourists into his office, imagine that!!