[May 01, 2024, 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[May 01, 2024, 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[May 01, 2024, 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[May 01, 2024, 11:32:50 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Is Serena Williams The Classiest Most Inspirational Person In Sports?  (Read 11124 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
This week professional tennis has a big Tournament in Indian Wells California (next to Palm Springs).  It is often called the "fifth major."

In 2001 this tournament was won by a 19-year old Serena Williams, beating Kim Clijsters of Denmark.  The crowd was upset that Serena was in the finals.  It was believed to be racial.  Tennis fans were not ready for a 19-year old girl from Compton with corn-rows and beads.  They booed her the entire match.  Her sister Venus and her father/coach Richard were booed in the stands were also subjected to racial abusive.

Here is a snippet of ESPN's coverage of the 2001 match showing the booing and abuse.
http://www.slate.com/articles/sports/sports_nut/2015/03/serena_williams_indian_wells_boycott_serena_s_return_to_the_bnp_paribas.html

Immediately after Serena won that match, at the post game presser, she and her family received and vowed to never play Indian Wells again.

Last week, 14 years later, Serena returned to Indian Wells to a 1-minute standing ovation.  She explained why she decided to return in a Time Magazine article last month:

http://time.com/3694659/serena-williams-indian-wells/

I’m fortunate to be at a point in my career where I have nothing to prove. I’m still as driven as ever, but the ride is a little easier. I play for the love of the game. And it is with that love in mind, and a new understanding of the true meaning of forgiveness, that I will proudly return to Indian Wells in 2015.

I was raised by my mom to love and forgive freely. “When you stand praying, forgive whatever you have against anyone, so that your Father who is in the heavens may also forgive you” (Mark 11:25). I have faith that fans at Indian Wells have grown with the game and know me better than they did in 2001.

Indian Wells was a pivotal moment of my story, and I am a part of the tournament’s story as well. Together we have a chance to write a different ­ending.

In an era of racial tension in Ferguson and NYC, the shooting of police officers and nearly daily protest, here comes a African/American athlete forgiving and willing to move on. 

We tend to think such racism is in the past and not representative of what is happening today.  Serena was again subjected to hateful remarks just this last fall (October 2014):

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2798975/serena-williams-criticizes-russian-tennis-chief-s-sexist-racist-bullying-remarks-said-venus-scary-look-at.html

Shamil Tarpischev, of the Russian Tennis Federation, made the remarks during an appearance on a local TV talk show this month alongside former Olympic singles champion Elena Dementieva.

When Dementieva was asked what it was like playing against the Williams sisters, Tarpischev cut in and called them the 'Williams brothers', before adding: 'It's scary when you really look at them.'

The official was later handed a one-year suspension imposed by the Women's Tennis Association (WTA) for the comments. He was also ordered to pay a $25,000 fine.

But right now, as I write this post, you can turn on the Tennis Channel and watch Serena Williams do something, at a time that it is needed in this country, that is one par with Jackie Robinson and Jesse Owens.

So who is the most inspirational person in sports?  That's easy, Serena Williams.

warriorchick

• All American
Re: Is Serena Williams The Classiest Most Inspirational Person In Sports?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2015, 10:00:08 AM »
This is a great story, but sadly, I am officially done with holding up professional athletes as "inspirational". I have been let down too many times.

Michael Jordan
O.J. Simpson
Lance Armstrong
Tiger Woods
Oscar Pistorius

I hope that Serena is different, but I will still choose my inspirational role models from my real life.
Have some patience, FFS.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2015, 10:52:49 AM »
This is a great story, but sadly, I am officially done with holding up professional athletes as "inspirational". I have been let down too many times.

Michael Jordan
O.J. Simpson
Lance Armstrong
Tiger Woods
Oscar Pistorius

I hope that Serena is different, but I will still choose my inspirational role models from my real life.

Like MuDish, and what his family is going through right now!

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2015, 10:57:17 AM »

Michael Jordan
O.J. Simpson
Lance Armstrong
Tiger Woods
Oscar Pistorius

Excellent point!

So let me re-write my last sentence.

So who is the most inspirational person in sports?  I hope it's Serena Williams.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2015, 11:05:35 AM »
Excellent point!

So let me re-write my last sentence.

So who is the most inspirational person in sports?  I hope it's Serena Williams.

You hope it's someone who violently threatened the life of a line judge at the US Open for the crime of calling Williams for a foot fault?

Bizarre.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2015, 11:07:20 AM »
Like MuDish, and what his family is going through right now!

Exactly!  Little Bradley is my hero, and I know he spends zero time worrying about his Brand.
Have some patience, FFS.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2015, 11:52:51 AM »
Love her eyebrows. Looks like Groucho Marx.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2015, 11:54:21 AM »

Michael Jordan
O.J. Simpson
Lance Armstrong
Tiger Woods
Oscar Pistorius

If you're looking to pro jocks for a role model, it's time to look somewhere else.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2015, 11:58:59 AM »
Like maybe actors, actresses, rock stars, and politicians, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2015, 12:42:12 PM »
You hope it's someone who violently threatened the life of a line judge at the US Open for the crime of calling Williams for a foot fault?
Bizarre.

So you have a standard of perfection?

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2015, 03:44:51 PM »
She lost any possible respect when she blamed a 16-year old girl for being raped by two football players (Steubenville Ohio case).

MU1980

• Starter
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2015, 04:35:28 PM »

Bizarre.

She has always been one of my least favorite athletes by far.  Just a nasty person and very much all about her.  The threatening of the line judge was just one of many incidences that formed my opinion of her.  Her interviews after both winning and losing showed her true character.  Never would say anything good about her opponents and always had an excuse. 

Warriorfish

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2015, 06:51:42 PM »
Kim Clijsters was classy.  Treated everyone (linespeople, tourney volunteers, opponents) super nicely.

Serena is 180 degrees the opposite.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2015, 08:35:16 AM »
She has always been one of my least favorite athletes by far.  Just a nasty person and very much all about her.  The threatening of the line judge was just one of many incidences that formed my opinion of her.  Her interviews after both winning and losing showed her true character.  Never would say anything good about her opponents and always had an excuse. 

This is a big part why I thought it bizarre the person finds Williams to be the most inspirational in sports. From the beginning, Williams has showed no respect for her opponents (almost a passive-aggressive condescension even when thoroughly outplayed) and been far from classy and far from inspirational in her downright disregard for sportsmanship regarding the competition.

She's not a good person and there are many, many people around tennis who know it.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2015, 09:11:46 AM »
She inspires what not to be. Richard Williams is a bigoted, uncouth gravy trainer

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2015, 09:13:51 AM »

Michael Jordan
O.J. Simpson
Lance Armstrong
Tiger Woods
Oscar Pistorius

Wtf? How is Michael Jordan even remotely like two murderers, a cheater and a guy who was banging Perkins waitresses in church parking lots?

Because he's divorced? The guy was married for like 20 years!

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2015, 09:19:36 AM »
Wtf? How is Michael Jordan even remotely like two murderers, a cheater and a guy who was banging Perkins waitresses in church parking lots?

Because he was a notorious cheater and a compulsive gambler.  It's pretty much been established that his first "retirement" was actually a suspension for gambling.
Have some patience, FFS.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2015, 09:25:19 AM »
It's pretty much been established that his first "retirement" was actually a suspension for gambling.

No.

I, also, would not place Jordan on any type of pedestal, but that allegation is not "pretty much established."

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2015, 09:29:52 AM »
No.

I, also, would not place Jordan on any type of pedestal, but that allegation is not "pretty much established."

Fine.  It is a rumor that won't go away.  He was still a notorious cheater and compulsive gambler.
Have some patience, FFS.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2015, 09:54:17 AM »
Fine.  It is a rumor that won't go away.  He was still a notorious cheater and compulsive gambler.

Did he cheat on the basketball court?  Did he take outlawed PEDs or the like?

Comparing him to someone like OJ, Pistorious, or a proven in-sport cheater and liar like Armstrong, just cause he blows millions of dollars on the golf course or in Vegas is a bit ridiculous.  Jordan is an overly competitive pretty boy who likes to gamble, but he was never arrested, never got DUIs, and his biggest strike in your mind is a persistent "rumor".

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2015, 09:57:28 AM »
Did he cheat on the basketball court?  Did he take outlawed PEDs or the like?

Comparing him to someone like OJ, Pistorious, or a proven in-sport cheater and liar like Armstrong, just cause he blows millions of dollars on the golf course or in Vegas is a bit ridiculous.  Jordan is an overly competitive pretty boy who likes to gamble, but he was never arrested, never got DUIs, and his biggest strike in your mind is a persistent "rumor".

If you read my original post, all I said was I once held him up as an inspirational idol, and he disappointed me.  You don't have to agree with my reasons.
Have some patience, FFS.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2015, 10:01:19 AM »
Because he was a notorious cheater and a compulsive gambler.  It's pretty much been established that his first "retirement" was actually a suspension for gambling.
I can't believe any sane person believes that. His father had just been murdered! He was obviously going through a very rough spot, which is what led to his retirement.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2015, 10:25:40 AM »
There is no such thing as the classiest not most inspirational person in sports, or life. Just as there is no such thing as being the greatest player or team ever. Etc...

With regard to Serena Williams, as I find is often the case, a combination of things have led to her return to Indian Wells. In no particular order:

She has been getting and taking better advice on how to deal with the media in recent years. This includes a new coach for the past three years. She has gotten a little older now, having moved into her 30's.  She has made a few close friends on the tour which she didn't have as much in the past. ...and more.  She seems to have a greater awareness of her own actions as well as how those actions affect others. For me it is not so much about being classy and inspirational in general as it is specificially she decided to return to Indian Wells for the first time in many years. I believe all of the above and more have helped contribute to that.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2015, 11:15:10 AM »

Jordan was a notorious womanizer, a guy who had ladies in every road city. He fathered a child with at least one of them.

Now, some would say that almost is to be expected in this day and age, but I do think it probably should disqualify him as a role model.

And that's without even going into his bullying (even of his teammates), his nasty streak ... and his batting average!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

🏀

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2015, 11:19:06 AM »
No.

You want to ask Sam Smith about that one and get back to us?