[May 01, 2024, 07:53:32 PM]

Shaka interview by Scoop Snoop
[May 01, 2024, 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[May 01, 2024, 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[May 01, 2024, 02:17:00 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Cardale Jones, tOSU QB: Going To Class Is pointless  (Read 12861 times)

Pakuni

• All American
Re: Cardale Jones, tOSU QB: Going To Class Is pointless
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2015, 02:13:25 PM »
need to see a Wonderlick score before even considering

It's Wonderlic, not Wonderlick.
You're the Ron Dayne of Scoop posters.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2015, 02:19:37 PM »
I hope people don't bash this kid too hard for being honest.

He merely said what hundreds -- or maybe even thousands -- of college athletes think but are afraid to say.

College football is little more than the NFL's cheap minor-league system.

The real dopey thing is that Zeke Elliott can't go to the NFL after two years in college. He so obviously is ready to begin making money in his chosen profession, which is what college is supposed to be for.

Thousands of non athletes say it as well.  Or about specific classes.  Ask a business student at Marquette if they think they should take Theo classes or Phil classes.  They think it is a waste of time.

The biggest problem I have with this thinking and those that are cheering this thinking on.....since when did 17 or 20 year olds become the Fountain of Wisdom?

I can rattle off so many people that felt the way he does that burned out and have nothing because they bailed early.  Just as I can give you 100's of guys that stuck it out, despite wanting to quit the school stuff many times, but when athletics didn't work out, they had something to rely on and now have a viable life.  The stories they tell are huge.

Look, I'll get accused of name dropping, but I don't give a fuk.  Tuesday had lunch with Eli Manning and Rob Lowe (not the Rob Lowe on this site) for some satellite tv related marketing things.  It's funny hearing them, both obviously had success young, came from good families, but they tell the stories of guys that came in thinking the world was their oyster and are now literally on skid row.  The athletic life is measured in seasons, not decades, not a generation.  Most of these guys play for 3.4 years.  Most don't make a ton of money, and many that make decent coin have no idea how to manage it.  Low had similar stories....lots of actors are on top of the world for a short run, then it's over.

Last week, had dinner with Omari Hardwick, he's the lead in Power.  My wife and I were so humbled by this guy.  He played safety at Georgia, tried out for the Chargers and was cut.  He literally lived out of a car and on people's couches for several years.  We must have spoken for 2 hours talking about family, hangers on, bad influences, etc....especially in the African American community, which is where his perspective came from.  His brother was shot and killed, his father shot in a separate incident and survived.  He was one of the few to go to college, but he went because of his athletic talents.  Though he hit rough times after, it eventually opened doors with his degree to get into the acting business.  Now the guy is making great money.  He couldn't preach the education stuff enough and spoke about how many guys didn't care, didn't put the effort into it, and blew it off, because they don't get it.  They can't think past that night or that year, let alone 10, 15, 30 years down the road.

Again, who made 18 to 20 year olds the arbiters of rational thought and stability?   God pray for us all if that is the case.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 02:37:40 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2015, 03:01:40 PM »
Maybe .... but highly unlikely.
JaMarcus' failure had much, much less to do with who drafted him (or where he was drafted) than his own laziness and personal issues.
Tim Couch, Cade McNown, Andre Ware, David Klingler, Akili Smith - even Ryan Leaf - all these busts got multiple opportunities in the NFL. Since he was cut by the Raiders, not one NFL team has taken a serious look at Russell. Doesn't that tell you all you really need to know here? Russell fell into a less-than-ideal situation, to be sure, but by far his biggest problem was himself.
It's implicit that every highly drafted QB (not named Andrew Luck) is going into a bad situation with immediate expectations of success. The good ones rise above that and drag the franchise with them. JaMarcus sunk the franchise even further.

His own immaturity and poor work ethic were big contributors (as you pointed out), but as I mentioned, being drafted in the middle rounds and being a back-up removes a lot of the other factors, and a team can work with him for a couple of years. A lazy, immature back-up QB isn't a huge problem. A lazy, immature starting QB will likely lose his spot within a few weeks.

At the end of the day, I don't think being a back-up for a couple of years is a magic bullet that will make every QB successful... but for a guy with a lot of physical tools and limited experience, it can be the ideal stepping stone.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2015, 04:04:41 PM »
Tuesday had lunch with Eli Manning and Rob Lowe (not the Rob Lowe on this site) for some satellite tv related marketing things.  

LIES! I refuse to believe Scoop Rob Lowe isn't St.Elmo's Rob Lowe.

Only a matter of time before we get the "MUScoop Rob Lowe" commercial. Given the nature of this place, he'll obviously have to be creepier than Super Creepy Rob Lowe and more socially awkward than Socially Awkward Rob Lowe.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2015, 04:16:39 PM »
Look, I'll get accused of name dropping, but I don't give a fuk.  Tuesday had lunch with Eli Manning and Rob Lowe (not the Rob Lowe on this site) for some satellite tv related marketing things.  

Last week, had dinner with Omari Hardwick, he's the lead in Power.  

Cool! Were they as impressed with you as you are?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2015, 04:38:45 PM »
Look, I'll get accused of name dropping, but I don't give a fuk.  Tuesday had lunch with Eli Manning and Rob Lowe (not the Rob Lowe on this site) for some satellite tv related marketing things.  

Let me guess....you are overly paranoid Rob Lowe!!

reinko

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2015, 04:59:49 PM »
To be fair to Jamarcus, if you put him on a good team and let him play back-up for 2+ seasons, his story might have been completely different.

high draft pick + huge salary + expectations + poor performance + immaturity = Flameout.

If you can remove the high pick, high salary, expectations, and give him some successes in mini-camps and preseason, you can probably overcome any maturity issues and develop his skills (both physical and mental).

I'd def. take a flyer on Jones if he shows he has some physical tools at the combine. 

you missed " + purple drank" or "+ sizzurp"

jesmu84

• All American

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2015, 10:26:44 AM »
This should pretty much put to bed the intent behind what Cardale said in the OP.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/ohio-state-qb-cardale-jones-is-staying-in-school-212952982.html

Jones, who is listed at 6-foot-5, 250 pounds, showed amazing arm strength during his three starts and remarked while meeting with the media during national championship week that he could throw the ball 80 to 85 yards. He also showed tremendous speed, agility and power for his size. He rushed for 81 yards against Alabama and Oregon and several of those yards came after initial contact.

While NFL scouts didn’t have a lot of film on Jones, some pundits though he could have been a first-round pick.

“I thought it all through, but chances are slim,” Jones said of actually being taking in the first round. “Football has been a stepping stone for my education. So being a first-round draft pick means nothing to me without my education.”
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2015, 01:10:31 PM »
LIES! I refuse to believe Scoop Rob Lowe isn't St.Elmo's Rob Lowe.

Only a matter of time before we get the "MUScoop Rob Lowe" commercial. Given the nature of this place, he'll obviously have to be creepier than Super Creepy Rob Lowe and more socially awkward than Socially Awkward Rob Lowe.

LOL

There are 3 new ones coming out that he talked about.  I'm not a huge fan of the current ones, some are ok....but one of the ones coming out is really really funny. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2015, 01:12:44 PM »

Cool! Were they as impressed with you as you are?

I'm just an average guy that has been lucky.  You can always put me on ignore.

I shared their words of wisdom, which quite frankly I find a lot more useful at their age and experience than what some of these scholars say at age 18 to 22 that thing sports is all there is.  Choose to believe what you wish, but I'll keep sharing.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2015, 01:13:52 PM »

Let me guess....you are overly paranoid Rob Lowe!!

I'm "following teenagers on twitter Rob Lowe"

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2015, 06:53:38 PM »

Look, I'll get accused of name dropping, but I don't give a fuk.  Tuesday had lunch with Eli Manning and Rob Lowe

Christ, what an A-- H---

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2015, 12:45:11 AM »
Christ, what an A-- H---

Ahhhh.  LOL.  I might cry myself to sleep tonight. 

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2015, 12:53:26 AM »
Ahhhh.  LOL.  I might cry myself to sleep tonight. 

From what your wife tells me, it wouldn't be the first time.

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2015, 09:26:04 AM »

Hahahahahahhahaha look out everyone internet tough guy on the board!!!!

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2015, 10:39:59 AM »

ok