[May 01, 2024, 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[May 01, 2024, 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[May 01, 2024, 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[May 01, 2024, 11:32:50 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Music Thread  (Read 5400 times)

reinko

• All American
Music Thread
« on: March 06, 2012, 03:58:00 PM »
What are people listening to these days?  My iPod is getting borrrriinnnngggg.

BrewCity83

• All American
Re: Music Thread
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 04:02:41 PM »
Country Roads by John Denver
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 04:05:10 PM »
my listening changes all the time, currently been listening to alot of Otis Taylor and also Graham Parker - I know, both are quite a bit different from each other but so it goes

Real Chilly Podcast

• Starter
  • whassup marquette whassuuup?
    • Real Chilly Podcast
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 04:14:54 PM »

I highly recommend getting Spotify Premium... it is worth the $10 a month far more than Netflix is IMO

- no commercials
- entire world of music
- available on mobile devices (not in free membership)
- offline mode allows you to download your playlists to laptop/device for listening when no Internet available (example... I have a list of 200 favorite tracks that I have available offline on my iPad that I listen to in my car, hand picked from any album any artist)

with that said, I'd like to contribute music... my favorite band Dr.Dog just came out with a new album and the best track on it happens to be called Warrior Man

here's the YouTube link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7wMiWyj5pY&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Listen to the Real Chilly Podcast on SoundCloud, iTunes, or Youtube.

Follow our twitter: @RealChillyPod

reinko

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 04:18:45 PM »
I highly recommend getting Spotify Premium... it is worth the $10 a month far more than Netflix is IMO

- no commercials
- entire world of music
- available on mobile devices (not in free membership)
- offline mode allows you to download your playlists to laptop/device for listening when no Internet available (example... I have a list of 200 favorite tracks that I have available offline on my iPad that I listen to in my car, hand picked from any album any artist)

with that said, I'd like to contribute music... my favorite band Dr.Dog just came out with a new album and the best track on it happens to be called Warrior Man

here's the YouTube link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7wMiWyj5pY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Thanks, right now I am on the Free Spotify for music at work, and like it so far, might upgrade to Premium, but thanks for your thoughts.

To add to the thread, but enjoying Mayer Hawthorne to put me in a solid mood at the office.

Real Chilly Podcast

• Starter
    • Real Chilly Podcast
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 04:25:15 PM »
Thanks, right now I am on the Free Spotify for music at work, and like it so far, might upgrade to Premium, but thanks for your thoughts.

To add to the thread, but enjoying Mayer Hawthorne to put me in a solid mood at the office.

as a Detroiter, I approve

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 04:39:57 PM »
just created a pandora comedy station. Aziz Ansari

Also Girl Talk

Mobot

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 05:35:30 PM »
Does anybody listen to Bon Iver (hometown Eau Claire)?  I saw that they won a grammy but I don't think I have ever heard any of their songs.   ?-(

jtrash37

• Starter
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2012, 05:43:09 PM »
Bon Iver, Air, Florence + the Machine, the Kooks, Vampire Weekend, and Sia (as well as here stint with Zero 7) are on my playlists atm.  I'm also a big fan of Pandora.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2012, 05:52:00 PM »
The new Evanescence album. 

JD

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2012, 06:21:19 PM »
Marilyn Manson

*The Dope show
“I think everyone should go to college and get a degree and then spend six months as a bartender and six months as a cabdriver. Then they would really be educated.”

AL

Real Chilly Podcast

• Starter
    • Real Chilly Podcast
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2012, 07:00:11 PM »
The new Evanescence album. 

do you go to MATC?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2012, 07:05:38 PM »
Brett Dennen (recommend "Sydney," "Heaven," and "Ain't No Reason" to see what he's about) and Mat Kearney (recommend "Ships in the Night," "Count on Me," and "Down" to see what he's about).
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

nyg

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2012, 07:08:11 PM »
do you go to MATC?

Nah.  Just an old geezer who loves the voice of Amy Lee. 

JD

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2012, 07:18:46 PM »
Nah.  Just an old geezer who loves the voice of Amy Lee. 

I'm not huge into the goth/punk look, but i would do dirty, nasty, uncatholic things to her!
“I think everyone should go to college and get a degree and then spend six months as a bartender and six months as a cabdriver. Then they would really be educated.”

AL

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2012, 07:38:49 PM »
Grimes, Sleigh Bells (new album disappointed me), Girls, Cloud Nothings, Tennis, Iceage, Jeff the Brotherhood, F*cked Up, Washed Out, Yuck, Smith Westerns, Cults, The Misfits, OFWGKTA, Phantogram

tower912

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2012, 07:54:43 PM »
Flogging Molly, Dropkick Murphy's, Enter the Haggis, Fenians, Great Big Sea, Gaelic Storm, Afro-Celt Sound System.......tis the season, laddie.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MUFC9295

• Team Captain
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2012, 08:44:59 PM »
Currently in rotation: Gutter Twins, jezabels, king khan a/t shrines, BRMC, kermit ruffins, madness, selectors, the melvins

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2012, 08:52:54 PM »
good Christ, outside of Tower's Irish bands, I don't think I've ever heard of 95% of these groups.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2012, 08:55:50 PM »
Fun. 's new album Some Nights is in heavy rotation on my Spotify playlist.  Also anything by The Avett Brothers.  Old school is CCR and Jim Croce.  Also Jay-Z and Kanye album Watch the Throne is great.  
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2012, 04:57:01 AM »
good Christ, outside of Tower's Irish bands, I don't think I've ever heard of 95% of these groups.

Ziggy, that is what makes it cool nowadays.  If you're the only one that has heard of it, you tell a couple of people and seem cool cuz you are the one who told everyone about 'that band' before they were big.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2012, 06:28:47 AM »
Ziggy, that is what makes it cool nowadays.  If you're the only one that has heard of it, you tell a couple of people and seem cool cuz you are the one who told everyone about 'that band' before they were big.

Yeah but you have to listen to bad music to be able to do that.

For the record, I did that with Bush and Gin Blossoms.  8-)

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2012, 06:55:59 AM »

Or the less crotchety get the damn kids off my lawn  ;) answer is that with the proliferation of media delivery systems(twitter, facebook, spotify, pandora, itunes, etc)  it is much easier for a new band to get music out there and have someone hear it and like it.  Also means the megabands like U2 or Springstein are a thing of the past because the audience has become so fractured.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2012, 07:04:09 AM »
Or the less crotchety get the damn kids off my lawn  ;) answer is that with the proliferation of media delivery systems(twitter, facebook, spotify, pandora, itunes, etc)  it is much easier for a new band to get music out there and have someone hear it and like it.  Also means the megabands like U2 or Springstein are a thing of the past because the audience has become so fractured.

Well I'm 30, so I'd say I am not crotchety.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2012, 07:07:13 AM »

Yeah but you have to listen to bad music to be able to do that.

For the record, I did that with Bush and Gin Blossoms.  8-)
For the record, I did that with U2.   Also, I was at Verve Pipe's first show back around 1990.  It was a big deal, because two local bands, Johnny with an I and H2O for the Pool had disbanded and merged to form the new local supergroup.     And during my senior year, ASMU scored a concert of two acts that nobody ever heard of.   So for $5, I got to see 10,000 Maniacs and Tracy Chapman.  
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2012, 08:17:18 AM »
I think the fellas listen to most of these artists during warm ups on game day.

Weirdos.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

LON

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2012, 08:40:14 AM »
Does anybody listen to Bon Iver (hometown Eau Claire)?  I saw that they won a grammy but I don't think I have ever heard any of their songs.   ?-(

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2012, 08:47:46 AM »

I've heard a couple of their songs its like a folk emo fusion in my mind and emo shouldn't stand by itself let alone fused with anything.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2012, 08:56:43 AM »
its one dude... my cousin loves him.

I don't get it.

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2012, 09:46:33 AM »
Justin Vernon annoys me quite a bit. Thanks for nothing, Eau Claire.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2012, 09:51:12 AM »
So for $5, I got to see 10,000 Maniacs and Tracy Chapman.  

back in the olden days of WZMF & QFM there were a slew of concerts priced from $0.93 to $1.98 etc. for bands like Billy Squier, Angel, Ramjam, April Wine, Piper, City Boy the Godz, the Tourists (later morphed into the Eurythmics) Yesterday & Today(later shortened to Y&T) etc. at places like the Palms, and the Riverside and Uptown theaters

I miss cheap ticket prices  :(

w0bbie

• Starter
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2012, 10:28:42 AM »
Any fans of current punk/pop-punk/hardcore?

Bayside, The Wonder Years, Title Fight, Polar Bear Club, Make Do and Mend, Transit, Handguns, Such Gold, I Am the Avalanche, Living With Lions, La Dispute, Silverstein, Fireworks, Comeback Kid, The Flatliners, The Story So Far, Smoking Popes, Foxfires, Lowtalker

foreverwarriors

• Team Captain
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2012, 10:35:14 AM »
Fun. 's new album Some Nights is in heavy rotation on my Spotify playlist.

+1

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2012, 10:48:55 AM »

Yeah, I think Cerebral Ballzy, Iceage, F*cked Up, Japanther, The Thermals, Male Bonding, & Japandroids, have all put out some good music (relatively) recently.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 11:40:27 AM by Blue Horseshoe »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2012, 11:07:51 AM »
All of this talk of bands I've never heard of (getting old happens) reminds me of a funny story.
My roommates and I, after a few beers, wrote a punk song in the style of the 80's with the catchy chorus "Why are you so f-ing posessive (repeated 3x) (pause)...  (w)itch.  Since we had a song, we needed a name.   We called ourselves the Anti-Beats.   We used to sing our anthem in the shower.   Out at the bars, one of my roommates would be engaged in conversation with arty girls.   He mentioned that the Anti-Beats was one of his favorite bands.   One arty girl responded that she liked their earlier stuff but wasn't a fan of their new stuff.     Hilarity ensued over more beers.     We vowed to return to our roots with our new material. 

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2012, 11:17:19 AM »
Goin' up to Beertown to see John Prine Friday Night...God, am I old.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2012, 12:50:37 PM »

Bayside, The Wonder Years, Title Fight, Polar Bear Club, Make Do and Mend, Transit, Handguns, Such Gold, I Am the Avalanche, Living With Lions, La Dispute, Silverstein, Fireworks, Comeback Kid, The Flatliners, The Story So Far, Smoking Popes, Foxfires, Lowtalker

The smoking popes were my neighbors growing up. Saw them at the rave opening for local h in the late ninetys

LON

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2012, 02:28:31 PM »
All of this talk of bands I've never heard of (getting old happens) reminds me of a funny story.
My roommates and I, after a few beers, wrote a punk song in the style of the 80's with the catchy chorus "Why are you so f-ing posessive (repeated 3x) (pause)...  (w)itch.  Since we had a song, we needed a name.   We called ourselves the Anti-Beats.   We used to sing our anthem in the shower.   Out at the bars, one of my roommates would be engaged in conversation with arty girls.   He mentioned that the Anti-Beats was one of his favorite bands.   One arty girl responded that she liked their earlier stuff but wasn't a fan of their new stuff.     Hilarity ensued over more beers.     We vowed to return to our roots with our new material. 

Was she drinking a PBR?

/I love me some PBR, but I don't drink it ironically

awilhelmscream

• Starter
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2012, 11:43:10 AM »

I'm a huge fan of The Flatliners.  No Trigger, A Wilhelm Scream, We Are The Union, Strike Anywhere, and Propagandhi have all been in regular rotation on my ipod for the past few weeks as well.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2012, 11:57:10 AM »
Was she drinking a PBR?

/I love me some PBR, but I don't drink it ironically

We need more of this. Occupy PBR.

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2012, 12:28:17 PM »
We need more of this. Occupy PBR.

Has anyone noticed that PBR tastes better from certain bars? Kinda like how MacDonald's has the best fountain coke. There is one bar in particular in my neighborhood where PBR tastes noticeably better.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2012, 12:57:55 PM »
Has anyone noticed that PBR tastes better from certain bars? Kinda like how MacDonald's has the best fountain coke. There is one bar in particular in my neighborhood where PBR tastes noticeably better.

maybe that bar actually cleans their tap line/washes the glasses

I've stayed away from PBR since the day I turned 18 and could drink beers that I actually liked instead of stealing PBR or Red White & Blue from my friends father's stash  ;D

feedback