[May 21, 2024, 11:51:36 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by DoctorV
[May 21, 2024, 11:33:38 PM]

Big East response to NCAA antitrust settlement by MUbiz
[May 21, 2024, 05:59:48 PM]

NIL Future by muwarrior69
[May 21, 2024, 11:39:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Why no home weekend night games?  (Read 1484 times)

Freeport Warrior

• All American
Why no home weekend night games?
« on: October 25, 2011, 02:42:06 PM »
What's the rationale behind zero home weekend night games? Two years ago I remember a few, but pretty much nothing this year and more than a few opportunities (1 pm starts on Saturdays). Is it Bucks/Admirals scheduling? MU seems to be the biggest consistent draw and would bring in more $$ to the area. Always liked the opportunity to bundle a night out with wife and friends downtown AND catch a game (to me, the perfect storm). The last home Sat. game is a TBA, so maybe there's still a chance.

Benny B

• All American
Re: Why no home weekend night games?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 03:27:18 PM »
If you look at the overall slate of college hoops on a Saturday during the conference season, very few games have a start time of 7:00 p.m. local or later.  The same seems to run true with college football.

My opinion is this --- fans attending a college game (be it football or basketball) will typically travel from greater distances to the stadium/arena than the average pro-sport spectator.  (Case in point -- very few, if any, stay in Pullman, WA, State College, PA, or South Bend, IN after they graduate.)  Obviously, you can't schedule a mid-week game at 2:00 p.m., but when it comes to weekends, perhaps universities originally avoided scheduling games that conclude late in the evening/night so that their attendees could travel 2+ hours and still arrive home at a decent hour.  That, and you probably don't want to give your student section 10 hours to sauce themselves up prior to every weekend home game.

In any event, I would say the lack of a Sat night game this year has more to do with open television slots than it does BC availability... but again, just my opinion.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 07:33:35 PM »
What's the rationale behind zero home weekend night games?

First game is a Friday night at 8PM.  No MSM's love?

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 07:42:14 AM »
That, and you probably don't want to give your student section 10 hours to sauce themselves up prior to every weekend home game.

They have a hard enough time making it to the games without the chance of passing out first.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

feedback