[May 01, 2024, 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[May 01, 2024, 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[May 01, 2024, 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[May 01, 2024, 11:32:50 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MU receives $3.33m in pork..  (Read 11939 times)

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
Re: MU receives $3.33m in pork..
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2009, 09:02:56 PM »

Now, I'm not saying MU shouldn't do it, or that it's a bad plan. I just think the impact might be more of a 10-20 year plan, not a 5-10 year plan.

By that time Milwaukee will just be suburb of Chicago.

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2009, 09:29:27 PM »
Plus there are a ton of us recent engineering grads that still do not have jobs so I highly doubt local engineering firms lobbied for this at all.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2009, 10:24:29 PM »
What's sad is that we'll never know.  The taxpayers will never have a clue as to who put that in the budget, and why.

.. I'm a new public official for a village, and have been learning the rules regarding open meetings .. it's really unbelievable the restrictions put on any sort of discussion between officials.  We can't so much as talk privately about the candy we're throwing at the 4th of July Parade, let alone how we feel about budgetary items.

Meanwhile, the Wisconsin legislature (caucuses) are exempt from all the open meetings/records laws, enabling them to create budgets in total secrecy.  Somebody behind closed doors demanded that $3.3m for MU be inserted into the budget. 

We'll never know exactly why, or if (what) promises were exchanged.

It sure is nice to write the rules, then exempt yourself from them.   >:(

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2009, 10:55:09 PM »
What's sad is that we'll never know.  The taxpayers will never have a clue as to who put that in the budget, and why.

.. I'm a new public official for a village, and have been learning the rules regarding open meetings .. it's really unbelievable the restrictions put on any sort of discussion between officials.  We can't so much as talk privately about the candy we're throwing at the 4th of July Parade, let alone how we feel about budgetary items.

Meanwhile, the Wisconsin legislature (caucuses) are exempt from all the open meetings/records laws, enabling them to create budgets in total secrecy.  Somebody behind closed doors demanded that $3.3m for MU be inserted into the budget. 

We'll never know exactly why, or if (what) promises were exchanged.

It sure is nice to write the rules, then exempt yourself from them.   >:(

You're exactly right.  I've been solicited to serve a 2 year term in my city for one of the commissions.  The rules are pretty incredible, very onerous.  I'm used to open discussions, frank discussions with parties to negotiate deals, contracts, etc.  The restraints that were put forth by some of these rules was a real turnoff.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2009, 07:47:29 AM »
Two California buddies went to Marquette just for their engineering program.

Neither of them applied to MSOE or UWM. So improving the Engineering Department helps recruiting, retention, and establishing/maintaining future engineering connections (political, educational, and business).

Are either of them living in Wisconsin now?

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2009, 08:13:21 AM »
I'm surprised they asked and more surprised in this fiscal era it was approved.

Are you serious? Do you live in Wisconsin? This is the same fiscal era that has brought us the 'stimulus' package, GM, Chrysler...I'm surprised it wasn't $33 Million.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2009, 08:29:47 AM »
Plus there are a ton of us recent engineering grads that still do not have jobs so I highly doubt local engineering firms lobbied for this at all.

Well, in the short run, it will create jobs to build the new building.

In the long run, it could potentially lead to more competition in the engineering job market.

PBRme

• All American
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2009, 10:33:11 AM »
Agreed.

Especially with the renovation of I94 between Milwaukee and Chicago in the works, engineers will be at a need for the area (a friend of mine is working on a project for a portion of that renovation around Racine as we speak, going through DOT and designing new on ramps, etc.).

Perhaps I am thinking Naively about it, that it wasn't just some old alumni that were like, "hell, lets get some over to out alma Mata."

But Milwaukee is in need of a face lift.  Particularly with the old Breweries and industries that sit vacant.  An increase in engineers with a mind on Milwaukee and it's inhabitants wouldn't be a bad thing to invigorate some life into those areas, whether it's environmental needs with proper stormwater runoffs or mechanical and a need to figure out electrical needs and Sewage needs.  And perhaps the state figures to invest with MU since we are sitting at the heart of what needs to be helped.     

But that could just be an idealistic thinking why the money is going to MU instead of people in severe need of relief.

Creative Writing?  Did MR. Hayward teach that class?
Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2009, 06:18:51 PM »

Are either of them living in Wisconsin now?

Good point.

None do. One's married in the service (Marine Corps) so he has to move. The other moved to LA (to pursue acting which is kinda hard to do in Milwaukee).
SS Marquette

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2009, 09:06:02 PM »
Good point.

None do. One's married in the service (Marine Corps) so he has to move. The other moved to LA (to pursue acting which is kinda hard to do in Milwaukee).

That is why, if the goal is to get engineers to stay in Milwaukee, supporting UWM is probably smarter.  But since that's not the reason they did this, who cares.

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2009, 02:25:05 PM »
kind of an earmark paradox isn't it? A lot of people will come out and hate earmarks and pork spending (bridges to nowhere, "monuments to me") but when it's in your back yard or at your a school you're loyal to it's kind of nice to see that money coming this way isn't it?

I'd much rather have the money come at a time when the state of Wisconsin isn't $6b in debt.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2009, 02:57:41 PM »
but when it's in your back yard or at your a school you're loyal to it's kind of nice to see that money coming this way isn't it?

Yeah... really nice of them to give my money away to my university.  I'm glad that they know how to spend my money better than I do.

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2009, 04:19:24 PM »
Yeah... really nice of them to give my money away to my university.  I'm glad that they know how to spend my money better than I do.

Oh gah of all people... I'm not the one implying that for a second I hate pork spending and taxes. Politics aside Marquette getting some sweet sweet government fatty cash is better than it going to the state schools

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2009, 08:29:46 PM »
Oh gah of all people... I'm not the one implying that for a second I hate pork spending and taxes. Politics aside Marquette getting some sweet sweet government fatty cash is better than it going to the state schools

Why?  State funded higher education is by definition the responsibility of state government.  At least if the money went to a state school it would be consistent with what the government ought to fund.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 06:28:39 AM by The Sultan of South Wayne »

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2009, 02:08:10 PM »
Should Wisconsin then give each eligible voter in Wisconsin $1 each?
SS Marquette

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2009, 02:16:03 PM »
Should Wisconsin then give each eligible voter in Wisconsin $1 each?

No.  I don't necessarily mind that MU is getting money from the State.  I do have a problem with the comment that giving MU the money is "better than giving it to the state schools."  State schools should be funded by state money - if the Legislature took $3.3 million from UW-Eau Claire and gave it to MU, that wouldn't be appropriate.

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2009, 03:58:38 PM »

Why?  State funded higher education is by definition the responsibility of state government.  At least if the money went to a state school it would be consistent with what the government ought to fund.

the government OUGHT fund roads and police/military. It's choice to fund MPS, WEAC and the UW system is proof that the government is terrible at it's job. at what point did you think that me referring to "school funding" as "sweet sweet government fatty cash" made me take this seriously, or care about where MU is getting money from. Sure I'd rather receive private funding but...

"if the Legislature took $3.3 million from UW-Eau Claire and gave it to MU, that wouldn't be appropriate."
How does that change the situation? I fail to see the point. Most governments don't understand what money is to begin with, most of the time money is considered fake...a few billion allocated here, 10% increases here... . There is no reducing government spending period.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2009, 08:11:32 PM »
the government OUGHT fund roads and police/military. It's choice to fund MPS, WEAC and the UW system is proof that the government is terrible at it's job.

I'm really not sure what you are driving at here.  The government doesn't fund WEAC, and the way it funds public schools is much different than how they fund the UW System.  Essentially, the State gives the UW System money in return for charging lower tuition.

And I don't know why you feel that this is evidence that it is terrible at it's job.  The UW System is where the vast majority of Wisconsin residents that have college degrees have earned their education...that is the same nationwide with all public universities.  It can be argued that the emergence of public higher education over the last century is one of the engines that has driven our country's success over that time.

feedback