[Today at 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Poll

Who is your favorite guitarist of all time?

Jimi Hendrix
4 (7.4%)
Jimmy Page
4 (7.4%)
Eddie Van Halen
4 (7.4%)
Prince
3 (5.6%)
Eric Clapton
6 (11.1%)
John Mayer
2 (3.7%)
Brian May
0 (0%)
BB King
2 (3.7%)
David Gilmour
3 (5.6%)
Someone else
26 (48.1%)

Total Members Voted: 54

Author Topic: Favorite Guitarist of all time  (Read 19598 times)

buckchuckler

• All American
Re: Favorite Guitarist of all time
« Reply #125 on: January 15, 2021, 11:19:31 PM »
I have a small 100w amp for practice in home, but usually plug in headphones for wife's mental health.  The big boy sound stuff is in an air conditioned storage unit.

I play Gibson Les Pauls and I have a bunch over the years.  Few years ago, Gibson came out with a 60th anniversary edition of "The Burst", so I splurged.  Custom 1959 Les Paul Standard Reissue, Iced Tea Burst color. 

I have three Marshall JCM900 100Watt tube amps and six Marshall 1960BVs 4x12 280 watt cabinets.  And many other pedals toys.

Man, thats awesome.  Nothing like a Les Paul.  Those are great rigs.  Mine is a more value minded Les Paul, someday though.  Those burst finishes are so classic and beautiful.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #126 on: January 15, 2021, 11:20:42 PM »
Hetfield is almost cheating. He%u2019s a lead guitarist who plays rhythm cause he happens to sing and his bandmate on lead is an insane virtuoso

Hahaha.   Fair enough.  Both Hetfield and Hammett are in my top 10 favorite guitarists.  And Metallica in my top 2 or 3.

The first 8 notes I ever put together was the intro to One. 
And it is super satisfying and fun to rip through the Puppets intro.  Gotta play it loud right nyg???
« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 11:25:26 PM by buckchuckler »

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #127 on: January 15, 2021, 11:33:23 PM »
My fave from this list is Eric Clapton... I have nearly everything he's ever done with every group he's ever played in. 

Once saw a Clapton concert and there was another guitarist in the background w/o a spotlight for about the first 30 minutes (you know how Clapton will play half a concert before he even says "good evening" sometimes).  This other guitarist was playing a lot of Clapton's solos - and they were brilliant -  and Clapton was just playing rhythm.  Finally when Clapton spoke he says "I'm sure you've noticed by now that I'm not the best guitarist on the stage tonight.  I'd like to introduce Mark Knopfler."  Then they even played a couple Dire Straits songs.

I do believe Knopfler is my favorite guitarist, and was surprised to see he's not mentioned in any of the previous posts.  Like Clapton, he's doing a lot of folk and blues stuff lately and it's excellent. 
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #128 on: January 15, 2021, 11:45:39 PM »
My fave from this list is Eric Clapton... I have nearly everything he's ever done with every group he's ever played in. 

Once saw a Clapton concert and there was another guitarist in the background w/o a spotlight for about the first 30 minutes (you know how Clapton will play half a concert before he even says "good evening" sometimes).  This other guitarist was playing a lot of Clapton's solos - and they were brilliant -  and Clapton was just playing rhythm.  Finally when Clapton spoke he says "I'm sure you've noticed by now that I'm not the best guitarist on the stage tonight.  I'd like to introduce Mark Knopfler."  Then they even played a couple Dire Straits songs.

I do believe Knopfler is my favorite guitarist, and was surprised to see he's not mentioned in any of the previous posts.  Like Clapton, he's doing a lot of folk and blues stuff lately and it's excellent.
Knopfler is a great call.
Seeing him with Clapton must have been great.  Thats some talent up there together.
I do just want to note that I mentioned Knopfler when I said Sultans of Swing was one of my favorite solos.  He is tremendous - and wasn't entirely overlooked! Another guy that plays all finger style.  I've seen him several times before and he is tremendous.  Always a great show.  Brothers in Arms is an amazing album, and I think his best work. I really like a few of his solo albums too..  And if I had to pick a 13 minute song to listen to, its Telegraph Road every time! 
« Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 12:01:00 AM by buckchuckler »

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #129 on: January 15, 2021, 11:57:55 PM »
Another guy I'd like to mention is Richard Thompson.  A completely different style but great player.

https://youtu.be/j0kJdrfzjAg

Again, sorry to post so much on these threads, but obviously something I'm passionate about.  Hah.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #130 on: January 16, 2021, 08:52:20 AM »
Another guy I'd like to mention is Richard Thompson.  A completely different style but great player.

https://youtu.be/j0kJdrfzjAg

Again, sorry to post so much on these threads, but obviously something I'm passionate about.  Hah.

That’s what the tread is for. Thompson is a great player.

StateStreetMission

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #131 on: January 16, 2021, 10:45:08 AM »
I don’t think anyone has mentioned  Alvin Lee

Lee was named "the Fastest guitarist in the West", and considered a precursor to shred-style playing that would develop in the 1980s.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #132 on: January 16, 2021, 11:46:11 AM »
I don’t think anyone has mentioned  Alvin Lee

Lee was named "the Fastest guitarist in the West", and considered a precursor to shred-style playing that would develop in the 1980s.

Goin’ Home was the highlight of Woodstock. Besides the straight ahead rock of Ten Years After, he did a lot edgy stuff.

Boone

• All American
« Reply #133 on: January 16, 2021, 04:10:36 PM »
Unless I missed him, haven't yet seen a mention of Pete Townshend

And buckchuckler, I also play a Les Paul... thru an Orange amp
« Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 04:12:20 PM by Boone »

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #134 on: January 16, 2021, 07:20:13 PM »

I’m no expert on guitar players, but I’m sure that all the guys mentioned in this thread are top notch. What sets Knofler apart (for me) is that he is also a fabulous songwriter - great melodies and lyrics along with amazing technique. Punish the Monkey, Boom Like That, What It Is, Romeo and Juliet, Way O Men, etc., etc., etc.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #135 on: January 16, 2021, 07:56:51 PM »
I’m no expert on guitar players, but I’m sure that all the guys mentioned in this thread are top notch. What sets Knofler apart (for me) is that he is also a fabulous songwriter - great melodies and lyrics along with amazing technique. Punish the Monkey, Boom Like That, What It Is, Romeo and Juliet, Way O Men, etc., etc., etc.

Huge Knofler fan. Very similar player to Chet Atkins. They did an album together.

Boone

• All American
« Reply #136 on: January 16, 2021, 08:55:29 PM »
Lenny and Jockey:

This may be too guitar nerdy for you but since you're fans, you may enjoy it anyway. I've watched this clip a number of times over the years... gives great insight into his playing style:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OG__SwkV3wg

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #137 on: January 16, 2021, 09:57:44 PM »
Lenny and Jockey:

This may be too guitar nerdy for you but since you're fans, you may enjoy it anyway. I've watched this clip a number of times over the years... gives great insight into his playing style:

That’s good stuff. I’ve got the same red Strat that he was playing. I don’t really care for it and plan to sell or trade it sometime. My other electric is an Epiphone whose design is based on the Les Paul. Same color scheme as the one Mark is playing.

Boone

• All American
« Reply #138 on: January 16, 2021, 10:16:54 PM »
I had a meh black strat for years. No complaints at all about the Les Paul. Only thing I miss about the strat is the tremolo. But gladly trade the whammy for the Les' humbucker and warmer tone

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #139 on: January 16, 2021, 10:24:08 PM »
Unless I missed him, haven't yet seen a mention of Pete Townshend

And buckchuckler, I also play a Les Paul... thru an Orange amp

I love those orange amps.  They get really amazing sound. 

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #140 on: January 16, 2021, 10:54:39 PM »
Lenny and Jockey:

Thats absolutely great.  "Itll be a friend to you all your life." Haha so true. 

Its sick how easy he made that look.  And what a great demo on the difference between single coils and humbuckers in 3 seconds. 

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #141 on: January 16, 2021, 11:37:41 PM »
I%u2019m no expert on guitar players, but I%u2019m sure that all the guys mentioned in this thread are top notch. What sets Knofler apart (for me) is that he is also a fabulous songwriter - great melodies and lyrics along with amazing technique. Punish the Monkey, Boom Like That, What It Is, Romeo and Juliet, Way O Men, etc., etc., etc.

Sailing to Philadelphia and Ragpickers dream are both great albums.   And pretty much all Dire Straits albums. 

** edit.
I love Shangri La too, great album.  Can't believe I forgot it!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 02:12:58 PM by buckchuckler »

Boone

• All American
« Reply #142 on: January 16, 2021, 11:39:48 PM »
Right?! And such a humble, generous genius.

Oh...and I need all the help I can get, so Orange covers up for any number of my playing sins

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #143 on: January 17, 2021, 08:32:35 AM »
If had to pick one it would be Steve Howe.  But I like everyone from Doc Watson to John 5.  Great is great.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #144 on: January 17, 2021, 10:12:59 AM »
Knopfler is a great call.
Seeing him with Clapton must have been great.  Thats some talent up there together.
I do just want to note that I mentioned Knopfler when I said Sultans of Swing was one of my favorite solos.  He is tremendous - and wasn't entirely overlooked! Another guy that plays all finger style.  I've seen him several times before and he is tremendous.  Always a great show.  Brothers in Arms is an amazing album, and I think his best work. I really like a few of his solo albums too..  And if I had to pick a 13 minute song to listen to, its Telegraph Road every time!

Telegraph Road - great song. Also love Romeo and Juliet.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #145 on: January 17, 2021, 12:09:51 PM »
I don’t think the dude qualifies for this conversation, but a funny thing that happened once related to the conversation.

A few years ago I was kayaking and had just returned to my car. A guy asked if I could give him a ride up to the marina supply store as his boat wasn’t starting. We were talking and I mentioned I had recently moved from NYC. He said “ I went to New York once. My brother was playing a concert there. He is the lead guitarist of REM. Thanks for the ride.”
« Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 04:13:07 PM by Billy Hoyle »
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

MU82

• All American
« Reply #146 on: January 17, 2021, 12:15:01 PM »
Phil Spector ... dead.

Though he played guitar early in his musical journey, he obviously was best known for being one of the most influential rock producers ever ... and then, later in life, of being a murderer.

Between 1960 and 1965 he placed 24 records in the Top 40, many of them classics. His 13 Top 10 singles included some of the quintessential “girl group” songs of the era: “He’s a Rebel,” “Uptown,” “Then He Kissed Me” and “Da Doo Ron Ron”by the Crystals, and “Be My Baby” and “Walking in the Rain” by the Ronettes. For the Righteous Brothers, he produced “Unchained Melody” and “You’ve Lost That Lovin’ Feeling,” a No. 1 hit that became the 20th century’s most-played song on radio and television.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #147 on: January 17, 2021, 12:38:59 PM »
I don’t think the dude qualifies for this conversation, but a funny thing that happened once related to the conversation.

A few years ago no was kayaking and had just returned to my car. A guy asked if I could give him a ride up to the marina supply store as his boat wasn’t starting. We were talking and I mentioned I had recently moved from NYC. He said “ I went to New York once. My brother was playing a concert there. He is the lead guitarist of REM. Thanks for the ride.”

Peter Buck - another guy with that great Rickenbacker sound.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #148 on: January 17, 2021, 01:05:27 PM »
Phil Spector ... dead.

Though he played guitar early in his musical journey, he obviously was best known for being one of the most influential rock producers ever ... and then, later in life, of being a murderer.

Between 1960 and 1965 he placed 24 records in the Top 40, many of them classics. His 13 Top 10 singles included some of the quintessential “girl group” songs of the era: “He’s a Rebel,” “Uptown,” “Then He Kissed Me” and “Da Doo Ron Ron”by the Crystals, and “Be My Baby” and “Walking in the Rain” by the Ronettes. For the Righteous Brothers, he produced “Unchained Melody” and “You’ve Lost That Lovin’ Feeling,” a No. 1 hit that became the 20th century’s most-played song on radio and television.

That stretch also included him developing the “Wall of Sound” and all happened before he was 25.  Absolutely unreal.

I saw people complaining that “headlines” were downplaying his murder conviction, which I think is silly.  He was a pretty terrible person, but he’s arguably one of the 2-3 most influential music producers of all time.  Plenty of people murder someone and end up in prison, their deaths are not notable.  His was, because of what I mentioned earlier.  It’s not like they’ve been glowing in praise of him.  People have been talking about him as a POS since the 70s

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #149 on: January 17, 2021, 02:29:28 PM »
That stretch also included him developing the “Wall of Sound” and all happened before he was 25.  Absolutely unreal.

I saw people complaining that “headlines” were downplaying his murder conviction, which I think is silly.  He was a pretty terrible person, but he’s arguably one of the 2-3 most influential music producers of all time.  Plenty of people murder someone and end up in prison, their deaths are not notable.  His was, because of what I mentioned earlier.  It’s not like they’ve been glowing in praise of him.  People have been talking about him as a POS since the 70s

The Wall of Sound lead to the Beach Boys and the Beatles sound of the late sixties....Pet Sounds and Sgt Pepper.  Piper at the Gates of Dawn was being recorded at the same time at Abbey road as Sgt Pepper.  What a time to be alive.