[May 09, 2024, 08:12:51 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[May 09, 2024, 04:40:58 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 09, 2024, 02:42:00 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 09, 2024, 12:49:34 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: On Campus w/Bill King and Jeff Goodman  (Read 22247 times)

Wade for President

• All American
On Campus w/Bill King and Jeff Goodman
« on: March 25, 2014, 07:31:28 AM »
Sirius/XM Channel 91 right now.  I'm on hold, hoping to ask Bill and Jeff Goodman (will be guest) to shed some light on our coaching search.

I'll post a response if I get some air time, or if they address my question.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 07:34:10 AM by Wade for President »

Wade for President

• All American
Re: On Campus w/Bill King and Jeff Goodman
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 07:54:39 AM »
From Goodman:

"I hate Twitter...my wife is going to divorce me because of social media.

Yes...Shaka Smart is talking to Marquette. Personally, I don't think he ends up taking MU.  

Do you really think he's going to leave VCU to a school that doesn't have a Pres/AD...to a conference that doesn't give him a ton more visibility than the A-10?  I say no.  Shaka's a smart guy (no pun intended), but I just don't see it happening.  

On the otherside, heard that Gregg Marshall is interested in Marquette...but I've also been told that Marquette is not necessarily interested in Gregg Marshall."

Nothing earth shattering - if we miss out on Shaka and Howland, and STILL don't have interest in Marshall, I'll be left scratching my head.  

I've blocked off five hours today to dedicate to this circus.  My helmet is on, and I'm strapped in.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 07:56:59 AM by Wade for President »

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 07:57:36 AM »
Great... 4 days in and our hiring situation is being described as a circus..
Says a lot for the administration.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 07:59:49 AM »
MU's administration is presumably handling it like it should.   Quietly.  Professionally.    The circus is here.   And on social media.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2014, 08:04:56 AM »
From Goodman:

"Yes...Shaka Smart is talking to Marquette. Personally, I don't think he ends up taking MU.  Do you really think he's going to leave VCU to a school that doesn't have a Pres/AD...to a conference that doesn't give him a ton more visibility than the A-10?  I say no.  Shaka's a smart guy (no pun intended), but I just don't see it happening."

I was traveling last week, so I missed a lot of the early reporting on Buzz's departure.  But when I read things like this, I can't help but wonder how most national media would have responded to "Buzz to Va Tech" a day or two before it became official.  Maybe a few would have said it was going to happen, but I think a lot would have said it doesn't make a lot of sense.

I'll wait for an official announcement before I get too excited or too disappointed.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2014, 08:05:16 AM »
Goodman also discussed the Oklahoma St job potentially opening up.  

Buzz to Oklahoma State.  Wonder if they have checked in to his VPI buyout yet?
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Jim Sawdust

• Walk-On
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2014, 08:05:34 AM »
On Twelfth Street: Fox 6 truck idling outside the Al with mast extended, tripod without camera on the sidewalk. What can it mean?

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2014, 08:05:55 AM »
MU's administration is presumably handling it like it should.   Quietly.  Professionally.    The circus is here.   And on social media.    

This.  MU is trying to hire a coach.  It's clear that they've offered the job to at least one guy (Smart) who nearly signed, or is still thinking of signing, or, frankly, has signed.  

It's the leaks from "sources" that are the circus.  

In conclusion, Twitter sucks donkey balls.  

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2014, 08:07:06 AM »
"Do you really think he's going to leave VCU to a school that doesn't have a Pres/AD...to a conference that doesn't give him a ton more visibility than the A-10?  I say no.  Shaka's a smart guy (no pun intended), but I just don't see it happening." 

Wait, really? You mean sound reasoning and logic may play out here vs. delusional thinking?

Ummm, get Howland on the phone now and end this charade.

TVDirector

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2014, 08:12:59 AM »
On Twelfth Street: Fox 6 truck idling outside the Al with mast extended, tripod without camera on the sidewalk. What can it mean?
means that they are doing a live shot for the morning news- following up, I'd suppose, on their claim last night about Shaka to MU.
will be interesting to see if they back down somewhat.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2014, 08:14:10 AM »
MU's administration is presumably handling it like it should.   Quietly.  Professionally.    The circus is here.   And on social media.   

IF it turns out Shaka is hired both sides will deserve huge amounts of praise for staying tight lipped and doing this the right way. Especially in today's social media frenzied landscape
No Finish Line

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2014, 08:14:57 AM »

This!

mumagz84

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2014, 08:23:40 AM »

Agree.

muhoops1

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2014, 08:24:00 AM »
I was talking to a friend in NJ who admonished me for believing Shaka would come to MU.  From the outside I can see the skepticism, but any alum or fan can justify having a certain coach.  I was jacked all day yesterday.  It's amazing how anyone has any credibility on Twitter yet every feed I read I gave credence to....why?  I don't know I have a college degree from MU.  The Jesuits taught me better.

Interesting that the only candidate that appears publicly to have any interest in MU...Marshall is not appealing to MU.  Oh well another unproductive day ahead.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2014, 08:25:18 AM »
Twitter Tracker:
 @AdamFinkelstein: Shaka Smart spoke to VCU commits & their coaches yesterday & assured them he isn't going anywhere
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2014, 08:28:33 AM »
Twitter Tracker:
 @AdamFinkelstein: Shaka Smart spoke to VCU commits & their coaches yesterday & assured them he isn't going anywhere

Curious, why did that come out five minutes after Shaka spoke to them?  All these coaches and recruits twitter.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2014, 08:29:58 AM »
Goodman also discussed the Oklahoma St job potentially opening up.  

Buzz to Oklahoma State.  Wonder if they have checked in to his VPI buyout yet?

If he has not signed his contract (see Steve Alford to UCLA ... supposedly he never signed his extension so the high buyout was not applicable).

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2014, 08:30:18 AM »
Twitter Tracker:

Well that does it for me. This charade is over...IWB should be ashamed of himself and lose all credibility.

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2014, 08:30:52 AM »
"Do you really think he's going to leave VCU to a school that doesn't have a Pres/AD...to a conference that doesn't give him a ton more visibility than the A-10?  I say no.  Shaka's a smart guy (no pun intended), but I just don't see it happening." 

Wait, really? You mean sound reasoning and logic may play out here vs. delusional thinking?

Yup agree. Lets not lose out on Howland because someone incorrectly leaked a story

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2014, 08:32:12 AM »
IF it turns out Shaka is hired both sides will deserve huge amounts of praise for staying tight lipped and doing this the right way. Especially in today's social media frenzied landscape

Apparently we werent that tight lipped about it if IWB claimed it was a done deal.

nathanziarek

• All American
    • Late to the Party
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2014, 08:33:56 AM »
Well that does it for me. This charade is over...IWB should be ashamed of himself and lose all credibility.

I'll be interested to hear his side of the story, but he knows his career rests on his name. He's not just guessing...I'd bet there's not even detective work here. He was 100% certain based on his sources. Sucks, but c'est la vie.

Honestly, it's pretty incredible how certain the VCU fans were about this. They've got themselves a great, stable coach. We need one of those.
Marquette Basketball on Reddit: http://reddit.com/r/mubb

The Love House

• Starter
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2014, 08:35:40 AM »

Without taking the time to dig through 400+ posts, I thought I recalled several people saying that Howland had withdrawn his name from consideration. Is that true or not? According to Mike Hunt, he is still on the table and can be had at any moment. Not sure what to believe. Is Howland still in the running, yes or no?

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2014, 08:36:36 AM »
IWB has embarrassed himself as a journalist and can never be taken seriously again.

nathanziarek

• All American
    • Late to the Party
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2014, 08:40:34 AM »
Without taking the time to dig through 400+ posts, I thought I recalled several people saying that Howland had withdrawn his name from consideration. Is that true or not? According to Mike Hunt, he is still on the table and can be had at any moment. Not sure what to believe. Is Howland still in the running, yes or no?

I think his asking price was too high, so we moved to trying to spend that same amount to get Shaka. That's my guessing, no sources, reading between the lines of the billion words I've read about this over the last two days.

I'd bet, if option #2 fell through, he'd still be available ... but our leverage for working the salary down probably disappeared.
Marquette Basketball on Reddit: http://reddit.com/r/mubb

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2014, 08:42:14 AM »

Yep. Right or wrong, your name is your business.