collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2022 Masters Thread  (Read 16457 times)

JWags85

• All American
Re: 2022 Masters Thread
« Reply #75 on: April 03, 2022, 11:13:50 AM »
he is still golfs ambassador.  without him, golf struggles a little bit.  can't wait to see how his son develops.  just hope he doesn't have to bear the same pressures. 

No he’s not.  And he hasn’t been for a long time.  Honestly, I’d argue he never was, he was just golf’s greatest marketing piece.

And golf is doing just fine.  Money and sponsorships continue to increase.  There are waves of new and marketable young stars.  The idea that golf needs a guy who has won 1 major in 15 years or it “struggles” is patently false.

Tiger helped save Golf 20+ years ago, I wholeheartedly believe that. But it’s a very different time.  ESPN coverage isn’t reality.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #76 on: April 03, 2022, 11:19:39 AM »
No he’s not.  And he hasn’t been for a long time.  Honestly, I’d argue he never was, he was just golf’s greatest marketing piece.

And golf is doing just fine.  Money and sponsorships continue to increase.  There are waves of new and marketable young stars.  The idea that golf needs a guy who has won 1 major in 15 years or it “struggles” is patently false.

Tiger helped save Golf 20+ years ago, I wholeheartedly believe that. But it’s a very different time.  ESPN coverage isn’t reality.

There isn’t a single golfer that moves the needle like Tiger and it’s not close.  Money and sponsorships only go up even more with the mere whiff of Tiger.

The closest thing to Tiger is Spieth and maybe Bryson and they’re still light years away from having the impact Tiger still has on the sport.

If sponsors thought Tiger would play 6-8 times a year, they’d flood in even more.  Casual sports fans will watch Augusta regardless but the rest of the year?  If Tiger is there, they tune in. If he isn’t, not so much.  No athlete dominates his sport like Tiger still does
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #77 on: April 03, 2022, 11:37:14 AM »
   am-bas-sa-dor

a person who acts as a representative or promoter of a specified activity

ok, aside from jack, arnie(RIP) maybe gary player, lee trevino, tiger's got to fit within the parameters of ambassador i've got to think
don't...don't don't don't don't

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #78 on: April 03, 2022, 12:20:42 PM »
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #79 on: April 03, 2022, 01:30:28 PM »
If I’m Tiger, and I actually want to win and not just do a farewell tour. I wouldn’t play the Masters, and focus on St. Andrew’s.

That’s the best shot he will have to win a major, and even those odds are 1 in 1,000,000

MU82

• All American
« Reply #80 on: April 03, 2022, 02:31:00 PM »

I guess it depends on how one defines "ambassador." I tend to agree with you that Jack and Arnold were "ambassadors" -- which I look at as guys who spoke and acted on behalf of the sport after their playing days were done -- but Tiger wasn't much interested in such a role.

As for Tiger being "just golf's marketing piece," I'd argue that he was just golf's greatest player -- and by far its greatest force of nature -- and therefore became the greatest marketing piece.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #81 on: April 03, 2022, 02:32:16 PM »
I guess it depends on how one defines "ambassador." I tend to agree with you that Jack and Arnold were "ambassadors" -- which I look at as guys who spoke and acted on behalf of the sport after their playing days were done -- but Tiger wasn't much interested in such a role.

As for Tiger being "just golf's marketing piece," I'd argue that he was just golf's greatest player -- and by far its greatest force of nature -- and therefore became the greatest marketing piece.
I agree with this analysis
            ---Al McGuire

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #82 on: April 03, 2022, 02:53:12 PM »
If I’m Tiger, and I actually want to win and not just do a farewell tour. I wouldn’t play the Masters, and focus on St. Andrew’s.

That’s the best shot he will have to win a major, and even those odds are 1 in 1,000,000

The problem with St. Andrews is the weather. How's his body going to feel if it is typical Scotland conditions? Very different than Jupiter, Florida.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #83 on: April 03, 2022, 05:21:26 PM »

Yea that’s sort of where I was with it.  Jack and Arnie had very different post-playing influences.  That’s just not Tiger’s personality.

And I’m not underselling his ability or prime, he was incredible and media latched onto that. It’s just different

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #84 on: April 03, 2022, 05:53:59 PM »
all points well taken

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #85 on: April 03, 2022, 06:01:57 PM »
That’s genuinely an amazing thing that someone was forgiving enough to ask for a more lenient penalty and the opportunity for someone to turn their life around after losing a loved one. That takes a special kind of person and a lot of strength and courage. There was a college baseball player whose mother was killed in the church shooting that was attempting to start a race war years ago in South Carolina. The next day he went in front of TV cameras, knowing he was 18 and now had to raise his 2 younger siblings while also being a D1 student athlete, and forgave the shooter. Then he led a peace walk of thousands. Amazing people in this world.

That doesn’t mean that all drunk drivers or murderers should be forgiven or can’t be disliked for their violations. I know I’m not judge or jury, let alone both. I know I’m not the gatekeeper to heaven. But I can’t find it in myself to root for someone like Tiger on a golf course or Koby on a basketball court or Tyreke Hill on a football field. I’m not dumb enough to think every athlete I root for is a perfect citizen, but if I found out any of them did something like those guys I’d stop rooting for them right away. There are things I can turn a blind eye to, and there are other things I can’t.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #86 on: April 03, 2022, 07:07:04 PM »
Bias

We might not agree on a lot of topics, but I respect your thoughts and post on the topic. I also agree that there are amazing people in this world.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #87 on: April 03, 2022, 07:41:19 PM »
That’s genuinely an amazing thing that someone was forgiving enough to ask for a more lenient penalty and the opportunity for someone to turn their life around after losing a loved one. That takes a special kind of person and a lot of strength and courage. There was a college baseball player whose mother was killed in the church shooting that was attempting to start a race war years ago in South Carolina. The next day he went in front of TV cameras, knowing he was 18 and now had to raise his 2 younger siblings while also being a D1 student athlete, and forgave the shooter. Then he led a peace walk of thousands. Amazing people in this world.

That doesn’t mean that all drunk drivers or murderers should be forgiven or can’t be disliked for their violations. I know I’m not judge or jury, let alone both. I know I’m not the gatekeeper to heaven. But I can’t find it in myself to root for someone like Tiger on a golf course or Koby on a basketball court or Tyreke Hill on a football field. I’m not dumb enough to think every athlete I root for is a perfect citizen, but if I found out any of them did something like those guys I’d stop rooting for them right away. There are things I can turn a blind eye to, and there are other things I can’t.

great story

the 2nd paragraph is an excellent example of an opinion that we should all respect regardless if one finds a commonality or not. 

question-what did koby and tyreke do?   

MU82

• All American
« Reply #88 on: April 03, 2022, 07:42:33 PM »
In 2015, a white supremacist named Dylann Roof walked into a Black church outside of Charleston, pretended to pray with the congregants, pulled out a gun and killed nine human beings.

At the bond hearing, shooting survivors and relatives of five of the victims spoke to Roof directly, saying that they were "praying for his soul" and forgave him.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/familes-of-charleston-church-shooting-victims-to-dylann-roof--we--forgive-you-185833509.html

I admit that I probably would not have been so forgiving of a person so filled with hate and bigotry.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #89 on: April 03, 2022, 07:51:20 PM »
Maybe Morikawa gets his 3rd?  He doesn't seem to be in form right now.

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #90 on: April 03, 2022, 08:27:54 PM »
In 2015, a white supremacist named Dylann Roof walked into a Black church outside of Charleston, pretended to pray with the congregants, pulled out a gun and killed nine human beings.

At the bond hearing, shooting survivors and relatives of five of the victims spoke to Roof directly, saying that they were "praying for his soul" and forgave him.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/familes-of-charleston-church-shooting-victims-to-dylann-roof--we--forgive-you-185833509.html

I admit that I probably would not have been so forgiving of a person so filled with hate and bigotry.

Yes, that is the same shooting that the baseball player followed it up with by forgiving the shooter basically immediately.  Impressive young man.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=263421091746196

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #91 on: April 04, 2022, 07:06:46 AM »
Maybe Morikawa gets his 3rd?  He doesn't seem to be in form right now.
Morikawa is elite level  with irons which is necessary at Augusta, if he can put respectably he should be in thick of it .
            ---Al McGuire

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #93 on: April 04, 2022, 06:29:22 PM »
All accounts of the last two days are that Tiger has played outstanding.

There’s also no way he’d have shown up to Augusta for practice rounds unless he knew he was in top form and going to play.

Can his body hold up for four rounds walking is the question.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #94 on: April 04, 2022, 06:41:26 PM »

There’s also no way he’d have shown up to Augusta for practice rounds unless he knew he was in top form and going to play.

Id be curious what "outstanding" means and is compared to.  Again, him being in shape to play is remarkable, but its just trying to cut through Tiger-related pomp and hype to reality.  Aka...

https://twitter.com/brendanporath/status/1511075525301010432?s=21&t=Rgq5PDygyuINzI77Ds7YFw

The needle

Within the first 5-10 responses there is "oh he's gonna be contending!"  "He's absolutely gonna be a threat this weekend".

He's older than Jack in '86 and Jack was playing at a relatively high level in the years leading up to that, without a mangled back and a major car wreck.  And his win was still remarkable and unlikely.

The narrative is just so consistently ridiculous and inflated that people honestly think he's gonna contend every time he tees up.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #95 on: April 04, 2022, 07:35:43 PM »

Thats my thought too.

Unless theres a setback in these practice rounds. Gotta think he plays. He aint coming out to play a couple practice rounds and not play in the Masters.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #96 on: April 04, 2022, 08:42:14 PM »
Count me in the camp, that if Tiger decides to play, he will be in contention come Sunday Afternoon.
            ---Al McGuire

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #97 on: April 04, 2022, 08:50:49 PM »
Count me in the camp, that if Tiger decides to play, he will be in contention come Sunday Afternoon.

We're aware Herm.  Tiger could be 75 in a wheelchair and you'd still label him a force in whatever major was upcoming.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #98 on: April 04, 2022, 09:31:25 PM »
The top 10 players in the world are quaking in their boots. They've been so intimidated by Tiger this last decade, which is why he's won so many majors.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #99 on: April 04, 2022, 10:00:15 PM »
We're aware Herm.  Tiger could be 75 in a wheelchair and you'd still label him a force in whatever major was upcoming.
Here is an interesting article with a lot of good comments from Freddy Couples on Tiger . Also Webb Simpson says if Tiger plays he will contend as well.

https://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/33671674/fred-couples-optimistic-tiger-woods-play-masters-their-practice-round-augusta-national
            ---Al McGuire