[Today at 09:32:37 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by brewcity77
[Today at 08:37:46 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[May 05, 2024, 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[May 05, 2024, 05:22:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Good Lord...  (Read 6686 times)

theodoc

• Walk-On
Good Lord...
« on: January 09, 2007, 09:21:17 AM »
I LOVE Marquette basketball.  I've been a devoted fan since my days as a graduate student.  Owned season tickets until I moved across the country.  I've seen highs and lows in the program.

But I've rarely seen a more fickle, paranoid fan-base than that displayed on this (and the other) board.  I'd swear some of you would eat your young if they didn't measure up.

Am I happy with their play this year?  Of course not.  I'm sure the team and coach aren't either.  Any of you play collegiate athletics?  Ever been on a team with high expectations that didn't quite pan out?  It's painful.  Support the damn team and quit your bitching.  We're delusional if we think we've "arrived" to the point that failure is not an option...

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Good Lord...
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2007, 09:46:53 AM »
I have not seen anybody here say that they've stopped supporting the team -- but criticism comes with the territory when expectations (however lofty) are not met.

.....at 0-2 when your best player is playing the worst basketball of his career, when the offense is abominable, and the team has three of its next four games on the road -- well, folks get upset.

Passionate fans ride the roller coaster -- its part of the deal when you're 'all in'.  We were clearly spoiled as fans last season - - and with the slow start this year, the angst was bound to bubble up quickly. 

Regardless, it's time to beat the Huskies.  Methinks it'll happen.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2007, 09:50:09 AM by NYWarrior »

MarquetteVol

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2007, 11:11:54 AM »
The problem is that we all got caught up in the praise and expectations bestowed on Marquette by the national media. The fact is that many of us thought we would be shade over .500 in the conference (which is still attainable) and a 5 to 8 seed in the tournament (also attainable). Then, we beat an overrated Duke team and a decent Texas Tech squad, and all of the sudden we're getting praise from Bilas, Dukie V, Seth Davis and so on. As a result, our expectations rise with those of the experts, because obviously they know something that we do not. Unfortunately, that's just not true. I guarantee most of us have watched as many or more MU games this season then all of those guys. We know the weaknesses of our team. Yet, we fall into the trap of listening to hype and raise our own expectations. Now that things look dicey we just rail on the team. This is still going to be a good year for us. The conference season has started poorly, but we have a lot of games left to play. And in the end, my opinion in August is the same one that I have now. This is a good team. But, next year is the year to make serious noise.

AlumKCof93

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2007, 01:14:33 PM »
I don't think the frustration is only because of the losing, but how we are playing.  While we only lost by 4 to Wisconsin, it was an ugly game and indicative of many of the games we've played this far.  Too many turnovers, poor decisions, and a general lack of development by many of the players.  And any time a team misses as many free throws as we have, fundamentals are called into question.  I don't think its just the fact that we've lost, its how we've lost has added to everyones frustration.
"Yes, Dinnertime!  The perfect break between work and drunk" - Homer J. Simpson

MU Avenue

• Team Captain
I would have sworn ...
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2007, 09:04:17 AM »
... this is a site for people to express their honest, from-the-gut feelings about Marquette basketball, which is limping badly these days in the face of a lot of fierce competition -- including UCONN tonight.

Theodoc, are you suggesting people ignore what they have seen and, instead, offer a bunch of happy talk about a team that many of us also "love" and follow religously?

I have read nothing here that reflects fickleness or paranoia. Anger, frustration and bewilderment, yes.

Further, it is hardly eating our young to acknowledge serious issues with and concerns about our players and coach. What's more, one need not have played or coached Division I basketball to know a thing or two and to be able to offer observations and suggestions.

You, theodoc, are like the people who say one cannot oppose the war but support the troops. To you, pointing to problems and sincere concerns is a show of disrespect, not honesty or a willingness to see what is really there.

You are correct, our players and coach hate losing. They are certainly frustrated with the way this season is evolving. But they are the only ones who can fix what ails this team. As devoted fans, we can only point out what we think are the problems and solutions. Which brings us to this site.

I would point out that you, THEOdoc, are one of the few on this site to use off-color language -- "damn" and "bitching." There are children who come here, too.

theodoc

• Walk-On
Re: I would have sworn ...
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2007, 01:19:57 PM »
... this is a site for people to express their honest, from-the-gut feelings about Marquette basketball, which is limping badly these days in the face of a lot of fierce competition -- including UCONN tonight.

Theodoc, are you suggesting people ignore what they have seen and, instead, offer a bunch of happy talk about a team that many of us also "love" and follow religously?

No and no.  It's not about "happy talk."  People shouldn't "ignore" what they've seen, but temper their responses accordingly.  

I have read nothing here that reflects fickleness or paranoia. Anger, frustration and bewilderment, yes.

Then you aren't reading very many threads.  Speculation is rampant. "DJ is too cocky"/"DJ has a problem"/"DJ has X wrong with him"...give the kid a break!  Everything from Crean's decisions to Fitz's motivations to DJ's attitude to team chemistry is speculation.  The tone of interpretation has been decidedly assinine.  Note I did not say ALL, but SOME/MANY.  

And who gives us the right to be ANGRY?  Frustrated and bewildered, perhaps.  That speaks more to our own expectations and issues.

You, theodoc, are like the people who say one cannot oppose the war but support the troops. To you, pointing to problems and sincere concerns is a show of disrespect, not honesty or a willingness to see what is really there.

And now you're getting personal...and comparing apples and oranges.  There is a difference between pointing out concerns and the WAY those concerns are pointed out.  A person may be an honest a-hole, but they are still an a-hole.  (No, I'm not calling you an a-hole)

I would point out that you, THEOdoc, are one of the few on this site to use off-color language -- "damn" and "bitching." There are children who come here, too.

By the way, "Theodoc" is the name of a character in a novel.  Nice try.  And what constitutes off-color language is largely regionally and culturally dependent.  And my guess is that if children are old enough to find their way here and read this stuff, they've heard such words before.  Probably even use them on occasion.   ;)

O.K., the self-righteous rant is over.  I'll step down off the stupid soap box.  Anyway, I have to go smoke some hippie-lettuce and sing cum-ba-ya in preparation for tonight's came... ;D  

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2007, 02:11:54 PM »

I have to admit that I am a long time reader of all of the MU message boards (4+ years), but I RARELY post and have never posted here.

But, I have to say that I stongly agree with Theodoc's post.

While I realize that these message boards only represent the most hardcore MU basketball "rubes" (myself included), we all should also realize that in the grand scheme of MU Basketball history we are still doing pretty well.

People seem to bring up similar topics all of the time and like to focus in on them. Whether its Fitz's confidence, DJ's over-confidence, Ooze's time in the US, Crean's salary (not sure why anybody cares about that one) etc. etc. We all become a little too hyper-focused and probably need to step back and appreciate the status of the school and the program.

I'm all for discussion and breaking down x's and o's (there are some good basketball minds on this board), but a lot of the wild speculation and venom used against the program and the players is a little uncalled for.

Fans even went as far as booing a RANKED MU team when our best player missed some free throws. DJ is a good kid, trust me. And I'm sure we can all imagine how bad these kids feel when the team struggles.

I know we all "think" basketball is about Hummers, 28" rims, and strippers, but at the college level its about hard work and long hours... and earning your scholarship everyday.

I do appreciate everybody's frustration as we all want MU to be great, but again let's remember we are lucky to be fans in 2007 instead of 1987 or even 1997.

The foundation of the program is in good shape. Just need to make some tweeks to the actual gameplay, and everything will be AOK.

End of rant.

Go MU!

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2007, 02:40:26 PM »

I know we all "think" basketball is about Hummers, 28" rims, and strippers, but at the college level its about hard work and long hours... and earning your scholarship everyday.

Interestingly enough, our assitant coaches all drive Hummers which are provided for by Marquette (at a discounted rate). Not sure about the size of the rims.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2007, 02:47:53 PM »
Look, there are very few people who read/write on this forum who aren't passionate fans.  Not only do they watch/go to the games, they spend many more hours of free time reading what other people think about all things MUBB.   As there are only 2-3,000 folks who do that, they (we) are truly the most addicted, as there are thousands of MU fans across the globe, and we are but a tiny fraction.

With this passion comes optimists and pessimists, and all in between, and especially, the crowd contains those who wish to commiserate when times aren't so good.  We search of answers, and postulate, much (most) of the time without any basis other than our feelings and snippets of fact.  This does not mean we are fickle or dispassionate, and to call anyone so is incorrect, that somehow, you can only be a fan if you're positive 24/7.

If this type of commiseration makes you upset, there's an easy way for it not to bother you.  Stop reading it.  :-*

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2007, 02:56:34 PM »
If this type of commiseration makes you upset, there's an easy way for it not to bother you.  Stop reading it.  :-*

No, no, no!  Keep reading!  Just avoid the stuff you don't want to read  ;D

Harrison

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2007, 04:03:37 PM »
Actually, In 1997 we won the Conference USA tournament.  Had an a team that was alot of fun to watch with FAisal, Crawford, Peiper and Hutchins.  Oh, to have a Faisal or Crawford on this team.  Beat a bunch of ranked teams and the team had an awesome late season run.   That team was much more balanced and astute.  Not surprising they were Oneil recruits.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2007, 04:10:21 PM »
I was thinking in 1997-1998 when they went to the NIT quarterfinals.

Obviously it was exciting at the time, but most people would not consider a NIT championship a success.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2007, 04:18:13 PM by 2002mualum »

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2007, 04:12:07 PM »
I'm with most of you guys, I guess I've just noticed a big rash of criticism lately.

Is some of the criticism deserved? Sure.

Is the program WAY more succesful that in recent history (duket, oneil, deane)? Yes.

Are fans expectaions higher than ever? Probably.

Does this team and the program have a chance for long-term success. Definately.

I'm not trying to bash people for voicing their opinion. Just trying to provide a little perspective.

Would you rather be a fan back in 1998 when I first came to MU?

The problems back then weren't "so and so is thinking about the NBA", it was "nobody on this team is good enough to play at a D1 level"

The problems today seem major, but trust me... they aren't. If/when DJ and the rest of the boys knock down some 3's... all problems will be solved.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2007, 04:17:28 PM »
I was thinking in 1997-1998 when they went to the NIT finals.

Obviously it was exciting at the time, but most people would not consider a NIT championship a success.

Depends on the circumstances.  In 2000 and 2001 I would consider it a success.  If my team had 5 seniors the year prior and I was rebuilding, I would consider it a success.  Everything is in context.

Harrison

• Team Captain
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2007, 04:26:36 PM »
How many other Big East teams would consider a trip to the NIT a success?  Or is the vision of our program for you the same as USF and Rutgers?

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2007, 04:30:48 PM »
Agreed Chicos, maybe the expectations are a little too high.

I had high hopes this year as well, and I'm a little frustrated with the results. But, I don't want rip into a coach or players that have pr oven that they are committed to winning (see past results and the effort with which they currently play).

I hate to be such a bubble gum and rainbow optimist, but I just feel compelled after some of what I have read to write in a couple of lines.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2007, 04:47:10 PM »
How many other Big East teams would consider a trip to the NIT a success?  Or is the vision of our program for you the same as USF and Rutgers?

I think the point is that you have to crawl before you can walk.

With the talent that was here in 2000 or 2001, the NIT was a success.

Obviously with increased achievement comes increased expectations, I just hope some of you guys don't miss out on watching/rooting for a good/talented team.

Anybody can come on these boards and rip the players and the program, but in reality compared to where we were... this is a pretty good product... and people should recognize that.

I'm sure everybody at SJU or Depaul would love to have MU's recent run of success, sell-out crowds, possible NBA point guard, all time high in enrollment, all time high in applications, etc. etc.

Enjoy it everybody.

feedback