[Today at 04:24:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[Today at 04:03:00 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by burger
[Today at 03:05:13 PM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 12:46:07 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: A plea to Crean and the fans....  (Read 6237 times)

muPARTY

• Starter
A plea to Crean and the fans....
« on: January 08, 2007, 01:58:22 AM »
Enough is enough with all the Warrior stuff.  it's been almost 13 yrs and there hasn't been a graduating class that passed through the Warrior era in almost a decade.  i came into Marquette knowing perfectly well they were the Golden Eagles.

To Tom Crean, i ask that you finally get off the fence and address the fans.  you've stayed clear of this issue, but now it's time to step up.  this is the 2nd big game (wisconsin being the other) that the crowd stopped itself when part was cheering for Marquette and the other for the Warriors.  the momentum died.  the dance team, the cheerleaders, the band, and the administrators aren't allowed to say "Warriors", and it's fractured the student body, i.e. your fan support.  the people will respect your words, please help unite Marquette.

for the current students out there (like me) and Eagle alumni, you visited this school, you applied to this school, and you came to this school as Eagles.  you wanted a change it didn't happen, grow up and move on.  to you alumni out there (from the Warrior era), you're proud of your heritage, and rightfully so.  it achieved a lot and was a proud time.  but that time has passed and it's the Marquette Golden Eagles.  Support the school not the name [Stanford has done quite well for itself since it's name change to The Cardinal (the color, not the bird)].

all i know is, i stormed the court and had Robert Jackson on my shoulders when the Marquette Golden Eagles won the Conference USA title.  I watched, cheered on, and bought the gear as the Marquette Golden Eagles went to the Final Four.  I've seen 3 Marquette Golden Eagles get drafted in the NBA.  and i've seen the Marquette Golden Eagles finish 4th in their first year in the Big East.  I don't hate the Warriors, and if we were the Warriors i wouldn't love the school any more.  I love the school, not the name.  they could be the Pink Powder Puffs for all i care, as long as they play their hearts out, and if they win, even better.  if you don't want to support the school for WHAT IT IS, then transfer out/don't post here/don't come to games.  for the teams to succeed, for the univeristy to succeed, we need to be united for what Marquette is now.

MU71

• Scholarship Player
Re: A plea to Crean and the fans....
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2007, 07:25:30 AM »
Yep...start calling ourselves the Golden Eagles and this team will right itself! 
I really don't give a d_ _ _ what we call ourselves or what the fans call the team.  I'm more concerned with a blue chip recruit over 6-5 and an outside shooter that can shoot over 20%.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2007, 07:28:25 AM »
Yep...start calling ourselves the Golden Eagles and this team will right itself!

LOL

great line. 

;D

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2007, 07:30:27 AM »
Where in the world did this post come from? Did I miss something at the game last night?

Regardless, nobody's ever going to drop the Warriors name...it's what everybody wants. Even Diener was quoted in an article as saying he preferred Warriors. And your comparison to Stanford is inappropriate. They were called the "INDIANS," which is clearly objectionable. I'll bet if Crean was completely honest, he'd likely choose "Warriors" as well. Given the choice between the two, who wouldn't?

Go Warriors!!

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2007, 07:42:52 AM »
I don't care if the team nickname is the syphilitic afterbirth, as long as they go deep into the tourney. 
Ludum habemus.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2007, 07:52:46 AM »
this is the 2nd big game (wisconsin being the other) that the crowd stopped itself when part was cheering for Marquette and the other for the Warriors.  the momentum died. 

Really?  Wow.  I'm in Sec 211, and strain, and I mean strain to hear Let's Go Warriors, so I can add my voice.   Haven't heard it all year.  Where do you sit?   Maybe we could swap seats, and you could rest easy knowing you won't have to hear Warriors anymore.

mutpm

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2007, 08:18:21 AM »
I think the bigger momentum killers were in the first half when Burke took the charge and the crowd was going wild only to have the Hy Popich Award ceremony.  MU led 17-14 at that point and the crowd was into it.  Then comes this ceremony and the excitment was gone. 

In the 2nd half, Boheim calls a TO after DJ's layup to put MU up by 3.  Again, the crowd is into it and then the season ticket holder of the game is announced and the energy dies yet again.  SU goes on a 6-0 run to stop any momentum that had been built. 

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2007, 08:24:52 AM »
Hilarious...you are dead-on right, particularly the Hy Popich Award. Don't they usually do that at halftime? Of course, if they did that, they'd cut into the time for that great tumbling act. How bad was that? I think I heard a smattering of boos, which I have never heard for a halftime show. But when you nearly kills 3 or 4 of our lovely cheerleaders, you deserve to be booed.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2007, 09:51:18 AM »
if you don't want to support the school for WHAT IT IS, then transfer out/don't post here/don't come to games

I might suggest that you reconsider your plea.  We all support Marquette already.  Drop the Warrior fans from this board, and it'd be a lonely place.  Actually, it wouldn't exist without the Warrior fans, so you couldn't have posted your plea in the first place.

We'll stop cheering for the Warriors when we die - so I suppose you only solution is to change your major to that of a serial killer.

You may not like it, but it's how it is.

77fan88warrior

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2007, 09:59:08 AM »
I think we should resolve this by calling ourselves GOLD. It would make us just like Stanford. Yeah that's the ticket.

77fan88warrior

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2007, 10:07:09 AM »
muparty's previous post

i'll boo all game long for every missed free throw... and 3pt shoot.  the fans and students wouldn't be mad if it happened once-in-awhile, but 3 of the losses can be chalked up to absolute awful free throw shooting.  the allie-oops are great (when they hit) but instead of trying 5 of those a game and practicing 'em, work on the shot in which you're not guarded... free throws!  in the past years, you could always count on Marquette's free throw shooting in close games.  it was the one thing you knew MU had an advantage in.  now i'm terrified when it's close and the charity stripe becomes a factor.

muparty I am terrified that you would boo these poor Golden Eagles. They are just poor Golden Eagles trying their best. They are an endangered species and you treat them with such disrespect. Are you some type of Warrior thug?

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
He shoots, he scores.
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2007, 10:36:02 AM »

77fan88warrior:      1
muParty :              0

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2007, 07:33:40 PM »
MUParty....sorry bud, once a warrior always a Warrior.

HoopDreams

• Starter
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2007, 07:37:50 PM »
Go Warriors..
Tradition Never Graduates..

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2007, 07:53:14 PM »
if you don't want to support the school for WHAT IT IS, then transfer out/don't post here/don't come to games.  for the teams to succeed, for the univeristy to succeed, we need to be united for what Marquette is now.

This is the kind of arrogance that infuriates me so much... So because I was raised watching the Marquette Warriors, my first sports memories were of Warrior basketball games with my dad, I should now transfer from MU because I cheer "Let's Go Warriors" at games? You gotta be kidding me chief. I am at every game cheering my ass of for this team. I've traveled to away games to cheer my ass off for them away from the BC. I am with this team and defend this school through thick and thin, and I don't boo MY TEAM like you said earlier.

People have been cheering for the Warriors since 1994, and there has never been any effect on the play of the team, in fact I'm pretty sure in the 2003 season I heard a ton of people cheer for the Warriors. That year was really ruined because of it... in fact the reason Kansas beat us was because some guy in the upperdeck of the Superdome had a Warriors shirt on. And MU as a university has done pretty damn well for itself with people still identifying themselves as Warriors. Record admissions, record gifts to the school, new buildings, and a much better looking campus... all while people cheered for the Warriors.

Congrats PARTY, you have posted one of the most ridiculous things I have ever seen on an MU message board. LET'S GO WARRIORS!

icecanes08

• Walk-On
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2007, 09:42:34 PM »
Ok...I guess I can't speak too much for the Warriors, but last time I checked the guys were playing for MARQUETTE and we were fans of MARQUETTE.  That's what matters.  People from the "Warrior era" are gonna always prefer Warriors, those from the "Golden Eagle" era will like the Golden Eagles, but I guess what I'm getting at, is it doesn't matter what's coming after the school name...the school name is what matters.  Hey...at least we aren't the Gold (sorry if anyone actually liked that name) and maybe we aren't doing as great as we all want to right now.  But, we need to stick behind our team & be cheering for our team...MARQUETTE. 

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2007, 09:49:05 PM »
Hey...at least we aren't the Gold (sorry if anyone actually liked that name)

Don't apologize--no one liked that name.
Ludum habemus.

MUshrooms

• Starter
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2007, 10:43:33 PM »
Where did this come from??? I'm a sophomore this year and I was actually just talking to my friends about how we never hear the "Lets go Warriors" cheer this year.  Last year it was still a little bt audible but not at all this year...and that sucks.  The Warriors nickname should always be a part of this university and the fact that the students don't cheer "Lets go Warriors" definitely sucks.  I'm sure the players don't mind being reminded of the great history at Marquette when they hear "Warriors" from the crowd.  In fact, that should give them a sense of pride.  What a strange post...

HoopDreams

• Starter
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2007, 12:43:48 AM »
Go Warriors..
Tradition Never Graduates..

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2007, 08:00:46 AM »
Where did this come from??? I'm a sophomore this year and I was actually just talking to my friends about how we never hear the "Lets go Warriors" cheer this year...  What a strange post...

I just figured it out.     muPARTY is Fr. DiUlio in disguise.

Now it all makes sense!