collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: WI Supreme Court Takes McAdams' Case  (Read 74938 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: WI Supreme Court Takes McAdams' Case
« Reply #225 on: April 21, 2018, 10:49:42 AM »
  just an FYI-not saying this incident is at the same level as the missouri protests of 2015, but not many outside of the community are fully aware of the ramifications that episode had on the school.  today we are hearing about a fresno state college "professor" spouting off her opinions on the late barbara bush-RIP.  these incidents can have a  "boil the frog" like consequences that may take longer to re mediate. 

i do not wish this type of result with my alma mater, however, i do hope MU learns from not only this incident, but others as well.  i am somewhat uncomfortable with MU's decision to go outside the traditions of having a jesuit as president.  i am even more uncomfortable with what i have seen so far with michael lovell.   many here want to minimize this mccadams case, and that may be your hopes that this does just go away, but as this ny times article informs us, "long afterwards...

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/09/us/university-of-missouri-enrollment-protests-fallout.html

I don’t want that either but this is nowhere near that ballpark.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #226 on: April 21, 2018, 10:59:02 AM »
OH NO!!! NOT THE GAYS!!!  THEY WILL PROBABALY TRY TO RECRUIT MY POOR LITTLE CHILD TO THEIR SIDE!!!

There's an interesting minority out there Sultan that has always thought MU ought to be the Catholic Wheaton College.

It's funny.  I have great respect for Wheaton generally.  Our son had given it some modest early consideration and we live very close.  Then I read the Pledge and was deeply troubled by some components.  Won't enumerate but DEEPLY troubled.  We made a decision as a family that it wasn't an option.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #227 on: April 21, 2018, 11:20:31 AM »
Why would you send your child who you raised Catholic to a school that will not allow traditional marriage to be discussed in a class room that claims to be Catholic?

You are just sayin' stupid things, now.

There is no MU policy "that will not allow traditional marriage to be discussed in a class room".

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #228 on: April 21, 2018, 11:21:57 AM »
You might be conservative, glow, but you are rational.  We could use more of that.  Tip of the hat.

I disagree with him often, but he always has sensible reasons for his beliefs.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #229 on: April 21, 2018, 11:25:14 AM »
2 of 3 Catholics support gay marriage.  (http://www.people-press.org/2017/06/26/support-for-same-sex-marriage-grows-even-among-groups-that-had-been-skeptical/)

I'm guessing if you removed Catholics over the age of about 55, that number would be 90%.

Only a sliver of parents sending their kids to a "Catholic" college are going to care about its stance on gay issues.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #230 on: April 21, 2018, 11:26:24 AM »
I disagree with him often, but he always has sensible reasons for his beliefs.

Thank you.  Nice of you to say.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #231 on: April 21, 2018, 11:28:43 AM »
Perhaps that is why applications to MU are down. I went on the MU website and on their diversity page the LGBTQ link is prominently displayed. I also linked to the Fordham site on diversity and no link to the LGBTQ community. I think it is one thing to respect individuals for who they are, but when a "Catholic" University actively supports the LGTBQ community whose values are in direct conflict with traditional Catholic values I as a Catholic will have second thoughts about sending my child there.

BTW Fordham...

https://www.fordham.edu/info/20913/lgbt_resources

https://www.fordham.edu/info/20915/lgbt_and_ally_network_of_support

I can think of nothing more anti-Jesuit than ignoring a segment of society that is part of your community.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #232 on: April 21, 2018, 11:30:35 AM »
There's an interesting minority out there Sultan that has always thought MU ought to be the Catholic Wheaton College.

It's funny.  I have great respect for Wheaton generally.  Our son had given it some modest early consideration and we live very close.  Then I read the Pledge and was deeply troubled by some components.  Won't enumerate but DEEPLY troubled.  We made a decision as a family that it wasn't an option.

A "Catholic Wheaton College" would struggle to actually be Catholic IMO. 

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #233 on: April 21, 2018, 11:37:14 AM »

A "Catholic Wheaton College" would struggle to actually be Catholic IMO.

I know, but you get my point.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #234 on: April 21, 2018, 11:42:57 AM »
Nope.  They're down because MU wants them down.  And enrollment is up considerably btw.  As to the rest of your point, we each are entitled to our opinion.  Culturally MU isn't much different than it was 30 years ago except that it's far more 'Naperville' (meaning affluent).

Well it is certainly different when I attended 50 years ago. I can remember Allan Ginsberg reading his very salacious poems at a lecture and the Q&A back and forth on how it challenged conventional attitudes of the day were just exhilarating. Was he or anyone else silenced because it may offend some group on campus? No. Many Jesuits at the time would let us debate how the changes of Vatican II would affect the church and if it ran contrary to current Catholic teaching at the time no one was silenced. No I do not want MU to make every student or faculty member to take an oath to be faithful to Catholic teaching; but from where I am sitting it seems MU requires faculty and students to be faithful to the values of the LGBTQ community or they are called insolent or are fired because they criticized someone with whom they disagree.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #235 on: April 21, 2018, 11:48:18 AM »
Well it is certainly different when I attended 50 years ago. I can remember Allan Ginsberg reading his very salacious poems at a lecture and the Q&A back and forth on how it challenged conventional attitudes of the day were just exhilarating. Was he or anyone else silenced because it may offend some group on campus? No. Many Jesuits at the time would let us debate how the changes of Vatican II would affect the church and if it ran contrary to current Catholic teaching at the time no one was silenced. No I do not want MU to make every student or faculty member to take an oath to be faithful to Catholic teaching; but from where I am sitting it seems MU requires faculty and students to be faithful to the values of the LGBTQ community or they are called insolent or are fired because they criticized someone with whom they disagree.

Well, 69, it ain't 1968 anymore and we don't say the Mass in Latin either brother.   :)

And I'd disagree with your notion.  I'll remind you about the swift Sunday morning response to the mural or the Arts/Sciences prospective Dean situation.  Both fully appropriate in my mind.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 11:52:55 AM by jsglow »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #236 on: April 21, 2018, 11:49:08 AM »

What is your proof for the bolded?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #237 on: April 21, 2018, 11:53:21 AM »

What are the values of the LGBTQ community of which you speak?

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #238 on: April 21, 2018, 11:59:54 AM »
Thank you.  Nice of you to say.

You tend to lean toward the reasonable end of the scale; sadly, I lean toward the reactive side too often.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #239 on: April 21, 2018, 01:13:24 PM »
One of several reasons my 17 year is highly interested in Marquette is especially because it's not in-your-face Catholic and the openness of discussion. She also likes the idea of attending mass in a place like Joan of Arc Chapel.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 01:16:09 PM by MU Fan in Connecticut »

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #240 on: April 21, 2018, 05:29:39 PM »
What I don't like is the continued bashing of our institutions.  We seem to pick and choose based our party or ideology, but accept it as long as our side wins.  That is not good.

Court decisions often go 5-4, 6-3.  That doesn't mean the minority is wrong nor does it mean they are right, it only means their legal arguments were not held at the same level as the others. The same goes for the majority.  There can be strong, viable legal argument supporting both sides of a position.  Legality is often not black or white and when I see comments that a judgment breaks one way that a person didn't like and therefore that means the court(s) are idiotic, or lack any moral authority is plain wrong.  Sometimes we have to take a step back from our bias and look at the broader picture. 
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #241 on: April 21, 2018, 07:40:15 PM »
Interesting.  I see it very much the opposite, especially on the former.  You do remember Pilarz, yes?  The reality is that there may have only been 10 qualified Jesuits to choose from whereas there were hundreds of qualified and 'fully Catholic' lay candidates, Mike among them.

Look, I have several MU policy differences with Lovell.  I'm certainly not going to enumerate them here on scoop.  But I generally think he has a constructive vision for the university here in the 21st century and I especially applaud him for what is a far more aggressive agenda.  Honestly, I'd selfishly hate to work for him because I'd be sure to burn out quickly.  But from a constituent standpoint, that's great.  MU is run more like a business today focused on 'creating shareholder value' than at any point in my memory if that sense.

ahhh yes, fr pilarz...nuf said.

ok, i guess what troubles me is the tendency(read knee jerk) toward political correctness at a time when i believe it has worn out it's welcome.  i appreciate your perspective glow, but if there were 10 qualified jesuits, i'm a traditionalist in that respect and that's enough choices for me
don't...don't don't don't don't

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #242 on: April 21, 2018, 07:59:58 PM »
Y in da world wood MU want applications ta bee down, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

reinko

• All American
« Reply #243 on: April 21, 2018, 08:13:16 PM »

My guess is the Office of Admissions would rather use their staff and resources to recruit more qualified candidates, versus what some colleges do, offer up a bunch a fee waivers and try to get every Joe or Jane with a 1.9 GPA to apply, so they can deny them, thus "increasing" their rejection rate, which in turns lowers their acceptance rate, which some idiots think this makes their college more prestigious.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #244 on: April 21, 2018, 09:09:30 PM »
My guess is the Office of Admissions would rather use their staff and resources to recruit more qualified candidates, versus what some colleges do, offer up a bunch a fee waivers and try to get every Joe or Jane with a 1.9 GPA to apply, so they can deny them, thus "increasing" their rejection rate, which in turns lowers their acceptance rate, which some idiots think this makes their college more prestigious.

Unfortunately, many of those idiots hire people and whether we like it or not, prestige and acceptance rates do matter to some people.  Dismissing it out of hand isn't helpful either, nor is calling them idiots.

No one can deny some of the most prestigious schools in the country have very low acceptance rates.  I'm not going to argue correlation vs causation, but only pointing out this truism. The highest acceptance rate of an Ivy League school is 14%, most are below 10% as examples.  In a brief stint in New York (about 2 years of my career), I couldn't believe how many departments only hired from a list of about 30 schools because they felt the schools already weeded out the average in the selection process from high school.  That elitism is one of the reasons I left and headed back to the midwest. 

Don't discount that it is real and happens with regularity. 

The more important thing to note is the average acceptance rate of all schools is about 51%.  Kids can get great educations at any of these schools, and that counts most for me.  On the job front, it doesn't always work out that way when being hired in the first or second job, especially by firms that look at where the degree came from and nothing else.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

jutaw22mu

• All American
« Reply #245 on: April 22, 2018, 07:14:31 AM »
2 of 3 Catholics support gay marriage.  (http://www.people-press.org/2017/06/26/support-for-same-sex-marriage-grows-even-among-groups-that-had-been-skeptical/)

I'm guessing if you removed Catholics over the age of about 55, that number would be 90%.

Only a sliver of parents sending their kids to a "Catholic" college are going to care about its stance on gay issues.

I'd be curious to know what percentage of those 2-in-3 Catholics attend mass on a weekly basis as opposed to twice a year.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #246 on: April 22, 2018, 07:30:31 AM »

Asked and answered many times on the board.  Do your research.  Thanks.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #247 on: April 22, 2018, 07:37:02 AM »
Unfortunately, many of those idiots hire people and whether we like it or not, prestige and acceptance rates do matter to some people.  Dismissing it out of hand isn't helpful either, nor is calling them idiots.

No one can deny some of the most prestigious schools in the country have very low acceptance rates.  I'm not going to argue correlation vs causation, but only pointing out this truism. The highest acceptance rate of an Ivy League school is 14%, most are below 10% as examples.  In a brief stint in New York (about 2 years of my career), I couldn't believe how many departments only hired from a list of about 30 schools because they felt the schools already weeded out the average in the selection process from high school.  That elitism is one of the reasons I left and headed back to the midwest. 

Don't discount that it is real and happens with regularity. 

The more important thing to note is the average acceptance rate of all schools is about 51%.  Kids can get great educations at any of these schools, and that counts most for me.  On the job front, it doesn't always work out that way when being hired in the first or second job, especially by firms that look at where the degree came from and nothing else.

This has been discussed at length in other threads.  Do note that the carefully evaluated new strategy has resulted in two of the largest classes in MU history, both of which reflect a stronger incoming academic profile, all during a time when Marquette's traditional recruiting territory is producing an ever diminishing pool.  So they got that going for 'em, which is nice.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #248 on: April 22, 2018, 08:18:22 AM »
I'd be curious to know what percentage of those 2-in-3 Catholics attend mass on a weekly basis as opposed to twice a year.
My wife and I are two.  Just need the one to oppose.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #249 on: April 22, 2018, 09:04:19 AM »
Perhaps that is why applications to MU are down. I went on the MU website and on their diversity page the LGBTQ link is prominently displayed. I also linked to the Fordham site on diversity and no link to the LGBTQ community. I think it is one thing to respect individuals for who they are, but when a "Catholic" University actively supports the LGTBQ community whose values are in direct conflict with traditional Catholic values I as a Catholic will have second thoughts about sending my child there.

I love MU, but it pains me that this is where we are.

Ha. That’s definitely not why admissions are down. For what it’s worth, me and several friends from the East Coast chose Marquette over other schools precisely because it had an open and non-conservative bent - typical of the Jesuits, who educated us out east. I got the sense that choice was similar to many classmates.