Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Perks for High donors vs. B & G points  (Read 1953 times)

jsglow

• All American
Perks for High donors vs. B & G points
« on: September 03, 2012, 08:38:35 PM »
I chose not to hijack the LW job performance thread where this topic first came up.

I'd be interested in folks thoughts related to the above-referenced subject.  No doubt there has been a shift in MU policy with respect to donors that has leveled the playing field for those that contribute to areas of the university other than the B&G fund. As evidence, let me cite the following: 

First, in 2011-12 all contributions (not just B&G) were taken into consideration for inclusion in the Courtside Club.  Second, it seemed clear to me that post season ticket preference was given to high $$ contributors.  Third, the creation of the President's Society emphasizes that all contributions to the university are considered equally valuable, regardless of the endowment fund selected by the individual donor.

I personally believe this to be a strongly positive step because while all university initiatives are equally meritorious, not all initiatives have the ability to offer comparable 'perks'.  I'll cite two recent examples in both the current expansion of the dental school as well as the creation of the Wheaton Franciscan Nursing Sym Lab.  Neither the dentists nor the nurses have the ability to 'thank' significant donors.  Rather, Marquette's athletic program steps in as the proxy with access to seats, clubs, etc.  Of course people contribute out of the goodness of their hearts and not for any perks associated with the gift.  Still, I find it refreshing that MU now simply asks a donor to find his or her passion and then attempts to make that person feel a little special by using the marketable perk (Men's B-Ball) that it has at its disposal.

GGGG

• All American
Re: Perks for High donors vs. B & G points
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 08:46:58 PM »
The Athletic Department is going to worry.  But as long as they have the trust in the administration that in the long-run the resources are going to be there, it is the best thing for everyone.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 11:10:50 PM »
Being generous to Marquette is important. I had the benefit of a paid MU education and there's a need to put something back for the next generation. The basketball tickets, including the tournament tickets I've used a couple of times, have been a nice perk but there's no quid pro quo. I really don't think I would give a dime less if they didn't offer the tickets, but the tickets from time to time are indeed a nice thank you.

I suspect the same is true for most donors. We give out of love for MU and out of respect for what the university was able to do for us.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 09:04:16 AM »
Being generous to Marquette is important. I had the benefit of a paid MU education and there's a need to put something back for the next generation. The basketball tickets, including the tournament tickets I've used a couple of times, have been a nice perk but there's no quid pro quo. I really don't think I would give a dime less if they didn't offer the tickets, but the tickets from time to time are indeed a nice thank you.

I suspect the same is true for most donors. We give out of love for MU and out of respect for what the university was able to do for us.
I would donate less to MU and more to other charities, if I did not get points for seating.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 11:31:19 AM »
I would donate less to MU and more to other charities, if I did not get points for seating.

Diogenes, you can put away your lamp.  I found your guy!
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

feedback