* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Transfer Portal by brewcity77
[Today at 07:46:52 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by brewcity77
[Today at 06:44:02 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by TSmith34, Inc.
[May 04, 2024, 08:28:28 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[May 04, 2024, 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[May 04, 2024, 07:00:37 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Moving on to the 19-20 Season  (Read 55010 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: Moving on to the 19-20 Season
« Reply #200 on: June 02, 2019, 04:18:56 AM »
How do we have a clue what the team chemistry is really like in the locker room? Look how bad it was last year and no one had any idea? I think Wojo is a good man who does things the right way but has
no style of coaching that he can call his own

Sure he does. Just as much as most coaches.

Seriously I get why he should be criticized, but “no style of coaching that he can call his own” is a little out there.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #201 on: June 02, 2019, 07:07:59 AM »
The myth of success under Crean and Buzz is one of the bigger ones told on this board. All it took was one surprise defection to the NBA for the whole house of cards to come tumbling down. Wojo was tasked with rebuilding that foundation with something sturdier than cards.

So if we are successful, you would be one of the first to congratulate Wojo....but you said earlier that if we were successful it would be because the players ignored Wojo....and while you were congratulating Wojo you would be hoping that he gets picked off by another program so you could get rid of him....something doesn't compute here.
The program was in very strong shape . There was no house of cards. Buzz last year the team lost several close tough non conference games. Buzz had a very good pipeline of kids coming in Ahmed Hill, Marial  Shayok etc. 8 straight tournaments 2 s16 followed by an E8 is not a house of cards .

Wojo has definitely taken the program down. Right now we are somewhere close to parity with Creighton. If you are Creighton that is an acceptable level. McDermott is highly regarded out there and has a well oiled stable program going but it is not going to be a consistent factor in the national conversation . MU has the assets and tradition to consistently be in the national conversation and that is the standard Wojo should be held to.

The competitive landscape in The Big East is fierce. It is only going to get more difficult  as they bottom dweller programs have all improved. We need some dynamism to become top tier in the league.

Wojo depleted the program
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #202 on: June 02, 2019, 07:28:06 AM »
The program was in very strong shape . There was no house of cards. Buzz last year the team lost several close tough non conference games. Buzz had a very good pipeline of kids coming in Ahmed Hill, Marial  Shayok etc. 8 straight tournaments 2 s16 followed by an E8 is not a house of cards .

Wojo has definitely taken the program down. Right now we are somewhere close to parity with Creighton. If you are Creighton that is an acceptable level. McDermott is highly regarded out there and has a well oiled stable program going but it is not going to be a consistent factor in the national conversation . MU has the assets and tradition to consistently be in the national conversation and that is the standard Wojo should be held to.

The competitive landscape in The Big East is fierce. It is only going to get more difficult  as they bottom dweller programs have all improved. We need some dynamism to become top tier in the league.

Which close non conference games are you referring to? The complete obliteration of us by Ohio State? The looking non competitive against San Diego St and New Mexico?

I agree the program was very stable and in good shape till 2013 but saying Buzz still had it in good shape and was just on the wrong side of the coin in 2014 but then calling wojo out when both the 2016 and 2018 seasons were the same situation of wrong side of close games is flawed logic.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #203 on: June 02, 2019, 07:34:04 AM »
Which close non conference games are you referring to? The complete obliteration of us by Ohio State? The looking non competitive against San Diego St and New Mexico?

I agree the program was very stable and in good shape till 2013 but saying Buzz still had it in good shape and was just on the wrong side of the coin in 2014 but then calling wojo out when both the 2016 and 2018 seasons were the same situation of wrong side of close games is flawed logic.

Buzz Williams quit on his players and the program.  To quote Willie, he was a phony cowboy
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #204 on: June 02, 2019, 07:46:01 AM »

We lost a close one to Arizona State in the road. Davante was sick for the San Diego State game ( which was effectively a road game) and we lost to a very good New Mexico team in Vegas.

Dear he other factor is we had a moronic AD who was constantly undermining the best coach we had since Al. Eccentricities aside Buzz was a legit coach .

I completely understood why Buzz left and given the circumstance and his personality it was the right thing to do. MU just made a mistake in hiring Buzz replacement . It was Lovell’s first week on the job and he by default went to the “ safe “ choice in Wojo.

---Al McGuire

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #205 on: June 02, 2019, 08:30:28 AM »
We lost a close one to Arizona State in the road. Davante was sick for the San Diego State game ( which was effectively a road game) and we lost to a very good New Mexico team in Vegas.

Dear he other factor is we had a moronic AD who was constantly undermining the best coach we had since Al. Eccentricities aside Buzz was a legit coach .

I completely understood why Buzz left and given the circumstance and his personality it was the right thing to do. MU just made a mistake in hiring Buzz replacement . It was Lovell’s first week on the job and he by default went to the “ safe “ choice in Wojo.

I understand Buzz, too.  When the going gets tough, quit
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #206 on: June 02, 2019, 08:42:45 AM »

Right I just don't get why you make all these excuses for Buzz's close losses. I'm off the wojo hype train but it doesn't make sense to say "they lost a bunch of close games" for 2014 and then for wojo in 2016 or 2018 act like he was a complete failure.

I'm off the Wojo hype train but come on use some consistent logic here.
Maigh Eo for Sam

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #207 on: June 02, 2019, 09:04:12 AM »
MU just made a mistake in hiring Buzz replacement . It was Lovell’s first week on the job and he by default went to the “ safe “ choice in Wojo.

You can't have it both ways. Wojo can't be a mistake and say this:

We have depth at every position, good team chemistry and for the first time in a long time we will have a Crean/Buzz style athletic  roster .

Wojo is the reason for the roster. Wojo is the reason for the depth, the chemistry, and the athleticism. None of those players would be here without Wojo. And as much as you praise Stan, he also wouldn't be here without Wojo. Neither would Nelson or Killings. Every coach, every player, those are all on Wojo. Applauding the roster, applauding the chemistry, applauding the results, those are all applause for Wojo.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #208 on: June 02, 2019, 09:52:42 AM »

Buzz quit a year early and still got paid by MU to roam the sidelines.  Character revealed.

We were picked to win the Big East, finished 6th.  Scored 35 points against Ohio State in a drubbing to lose our ranking.  Close losses...how about close wins against New Hampshire?  Needing OT to beat DePaul.  A roster management that was a mess and several players that had no business EVER being in a MU uniform.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 08:03:43 PM by Cheeks »
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #209 on: June 02, 2019, 09:54:08 AM »

Who should we have hired and hind sight is always 20-20
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #210 on: June 02, 2019, 09:58:46 AM »
Right I just don't get why you make all these excuses for Buzz's close losses. I'm off the wojo hype train but it doesn't make sense to say "they lost a bunch of close games" for 2014 and then for wojo in 2016 or 2018 act like he was a complete failure.

I'm off the Wojo hype train but come on use some consistent logic here.
Not making excuses . Given Buzz track record he earns the benefit of the doubt in my back

I fully acknowledge and concur that Buzz had significant emotional issues 
            ---Al McGuire

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #211 on: June 02, 2019, 10:00:30 AM »

Who would you have hired. Who was the “unsafe” hire that was out there that we refused to go with?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #212 on: June 02, 2019, 10:02:13 AM »

Herman, didn’t we also barely beat New Hampshire at home, needed OT to beat DePaul, barely beat Georgetown at home...etc.   Don’t the close wins also need to be factored in?  I sat directly behind the bench in Anaheim and was right there with Lazar and Buzz when Buzz flat out said before the game, this team cannot shoot.  No one can shoot.  We were 17-15 for a reason, his roster management.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #213 on: June 02, 2019, 10:05:41 AM »
Why must every thread go careening off topic?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #214 on: June 02, 2019, 10:07:23 AM »
Why must every thread go careening off topic?

Mainly because we have people hoping Wojo, and thus MU, fails.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #215 on: June 02, 2019, 10:08:39 AM »
Not making excuses . Given Buzz track record he earns the benefit of the doubt in my back

I fully acknowledge and concur that Buzz had significant emotional issues

stating a road game, then a player was sick, another two very good teams that were effectively road games, and going on about an idiotic AD all seem like excuses to me. Again if you're going to say 'these were all close games in 2014 thus we weren't that bad' then you have to say that Wojo was also in close game situations in 2016 and 2018. 

Bottom line, there's no excuses for either or you accept the same excuses for both. If not it's poor logic
Maigh Eo for Sam

tower912

• All American
« Reply #216 on: June 02, 2019, 10:08:51 AM »
Mainly because we have people hoping Wojo, and thus MU, fails.

Hauser slurpers
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #217 on: June 02, 2019, 10:09:06 AM »

When Buzz left, the moronic AD wasn’t in place. He was a quitter. Probably related to the Hauser boys somehow.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #218 on: June 02, 2019, 10:26:30 AM »
Who would you have hired. Who was the “unsafe” hire that was out there that we refused to go with?

The backup QB should be starting, he is way better and has the most potential!!!

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #219 on: June 02, 2019, 11:13:53 AM »
Herman, I have been skeptical about Wojo's managerial abilities and am always really happy when he proves me wrong (23-4) and hate seeing my skepticism vindicated (year end collapse) but to say he should be replaced simply makes no sense at all to me.

Despite Buzz's success, he didn't give a rat's ass about the university so his legacy is tainted. I think Brew's very well worded post states Wojo's accomplishments and Cheek's comment "Buzz quit a year early and still got paid by MU to roam he sidelines" is spot on. I noticed his body language late in his last season and was furious when it later became obvious he quit on the team. Wojo has never done that.

I am becoming more optimistic about this coming season even though that goes against my admittedly cautious nature. Besides, there is not a snowball's chance in Hell that Wojo will be fired. Relax and take a deep breath.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 01:48:07 PM by Scoop Snoop »
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #220 on: June 02, 2019, 12:02:39 PM »
Okay for Chicos especially and all of those that keep rambling on and on and on about "upward trajectory" and that's what Wojo has been on(according to them), now keep in mind you are all the same people that slam buzz repeatedly for his last year and a "downward trajectory" etc etc...so what happens when MU's season isn't as good this year as it was last year?? isn't that a "downward" trajectory?? That would go totally against your incessant ramblings of "upward trajectory, you can't get rid of him etc etc". Are all of you going to make excuses then if that occurs, cut him some slack, or...?? This will be an interesting case study to see if these people that are so consistent with their ramblings of "upward trajectory" suddenly switch course after this season(if it's worse than last year), make excuses, or are still supportive of him even though it would go against everything they use to suggest he should still be supported which is "upward trajectory". I think it's going to prove that most use that as a "crutch" to argue, just for argument's sake.

All I know is I'm grabbing my popcorn for this one, sitting back, watching the show and we WILL be revisiting this at the end of next season, and if what happens, what I think will happen for this upcoming year(not as good as the previous year), I WILL be digging up every single post about "upward trajectory", every single post blasting Buzz for his last year and it being a "downward trajectory", and calling EVERY single one of you out on your total and complete hypocrisy, and I do NOT want to hear sh&t like "well, he represents the University well etc etc". Nope, your #1 basis for supporting him was "upward trajectory", so you MUST stick to that, and I will make sure every single one of you does.

This is going to be soooo good. Chicos has a HUGE target on his back...this should truly expose him, I'm guessing.  :)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 01:48:57 PM by muguru »
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #221 on: June 02, 2019, 12:29:01 PM »
Okay for Chicos especially and all of those that keep rambling on and on and on about "upward trajectory" and that's what Wojo has been on(according to them), now keep in mind you are all the same people that slam buzz repeatedly for his last year and a "downward trajectory" etc etc...so what happens when MU's season isn't as good this year as it was last year?? isn't that a "downward" trajectory?? That would go totally against your incessant ramblings of "upward trajectory, you can't get rid of him etc etc". Are all of you going to make excuses then if that occurs, cut him some slack, or...?? This will be an interesting case study to see if these people that are so consistent with their ramblings of "upward trajectory" sudeenly switch course after this season(if it's worse than last year), make excuses, or are still supportive of him even though it would go against everything they use to suggest he should still be supported which is "upward trajectory". I think it's going to prove that most use that as a "crutch" to argue, just for aregument's sake.

All I know is I'm grabbing my popcorn for this one, sitting back, watching the show and we WILL be revisiting this at the end of next season, and if what happens, what I think will happen for this upcoming year(not as good as the previous year), I WILL be digging up every single post about "upward trajectory", every single post blasting Buzz for his last year and it being a "downward trajectory", and calling EFER single one of you out on your total and complete hypocrisy, and I do NOT want to hear sh&t like "well, he represents the University well etc etc". Nope, your #1 basis for supporting him was "upward trajectory", so you MUST stick to that, and I will make sure every single one of you does.

This is going to be soooo good. Chicos has a HUGE target on his back...this should truly expose him, I'm guessing.  :)

Pretty solid fan that you want MU to fail so you can stick it to some message board posters.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #222 on: June 02, 2019, 12:30:40 PM »
MU had a very good program  that was nationally respected during the Crean/Buzz era. Consistently made the tournament and won tournament games . Occasionally , a deeper run. MU produced meaningful NBA talent . MU has definitely taken a step down in the Wojo era.  MU is now producing at a level that a program like Creighton would find acceptable. The program has all the resources necessary to get back to the Crean/Buzz era.   

I give Wojo credit for the positive things he does. I believe he is a good recruiter and he has embraced the history and tradition of MU. Unfortunately , he just doesn't have what it takes to move the program back to where it was under Crean/Buzz. The Hauser defection is evidence of that.

I am very enthusiastic about the coming season sans the Hausers.  We have depth at every position, good team chemistry and for the first time in a long time we will have a Crean/Buzz style athletic  roster .  My belief is that the team will deliver on their promise. Nothing would make me more happy than to see MU step up and win The Big East. I would be the first person to congratulate Wojo.

Hopefully, a good job opens up next year that will pony up the money needed to dislodge Wojo. Stan is waiting in the wings and will do great things for MU when he gets his shot.

People here are going to be pissed when we don't get an already established and successful coach for the next hire

tower912

• All American
« Reply #223 on: June 02, 2019, 12:40:07 PM »
Okay for Chicos especially and all of those that keep rambling on and on and on about "upward trajectory" and that's what Wojo has been on(according to them), now keep in mind you are all the same people that slam buzz repeatedly for his last year and a "downward trajectory" etc etc...so what happens when MU's season isn't as good this year as it was last year?? isn't that a "downward" trajectory?? That would go totally against your incessant ramblings of "upward trajectory, you can't get rid of him etc etc". Are all of you going to make excuses then if that occurs, cut him some slack, or...?? This will be an interesting case study to see if these people that are so consistent with their ramblings of "upward trajectory" sudeenly switch course after this season(if it's worse than last year), make excuses, or are still supportive of him even though it would go against everything they use to suggest he should still be supported which is "upward trajectory". I think it's going to prove that most use that as a "crutch" to argue, just for aregument's sake.

All I know is I'm grabbing my popcorn for this one, sitting back, watching the show and we WILL be revisiting this at the end of next season, and if what happens, what I think will happen for this upcoming year(not as good as the previous year), I WILL be digging up every single post about "upward trajectory", every single post blasting Buzz for his last year and it being a "downward trajectory", and calling EFER single one of you out on your total and complete hypocrisy, and I do NOT want to hear sh&t like "well, he represents the University well etc etc". Nope, your #1 basis for supporting him was "upward trajectory", so you MUST stick to that, and I will make sure every single one of you does.

So you are rooting for a bad season so that you can say 'I told you so' to everyone who doesn't want Wojo fired.   Quite the character you are revealing.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #224 on: June 02, 2019, 01:19:22 PM »

There's a huge problem with this position. Even after Buzz' bad year, no one was calling for him to get fired. Even in hindsight, I don't remember anyone saying we should have fired Buzz. Even Willie, who hated Buzz more than anyone, said he didn't want him fired.

So you comparing the "Buzz haters" to "Wojo supporters" doesn't really work. One, because the Wojo supporters wanted to keep Buzz even after his bad season and two, because I don't think anyone was mad at Buzz for "downward trajectory". They are mad because they subscribe to the belief that Buzz quit a year early and stuck around to keep a paycheck. Something I never bought into personally, I just think he was caught with his pants down when Blue went pro.

If next year is worse than last year that will be a red flag. Depending on how big of one, it may be time to move on from Wojo. But if we end up with a 6 seed next season instead of a 5 seed, then no, it won't be time to fire Wojo.

You're problem Guru is that you are too dualistic in your thinking. The coach is either doing great or should be fired. Except in extreme circumstances, a coach doesn't go from an ice cold seat to fired in a single season. That's why the concept of a hot seat exists. Wojo isn't on the hot seat yet. In fact, last season made his seat colder not warmer. He'd have to have a trainwreck of a season to deserve being fired next season.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.