collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Poll

Would you rather MU be a perennial Top 10 Hoops program or a perennial Top 10 Academic Institution

Top 10 Hoops
Top 10 Academics

Author Topic: Top 10 Hoops or Top 10 Academics  (Read 10300 times)

eagles11

Re: Top 10 Hoops or Top 10 Academics
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2008, 04:19:32 PM »
Tell me how a Top 10 University Ranking has anything to do with graduation rates.

If you're talking about the student body, undergraduate 4-year graduation rates are a component of the US News university rankings.  As a rule, upper echelon schools do a much better job of getting kids out in 4 years.

Focus:  tough question and great points all around.  I love our basketball program and think it gets Marquette national attention that we would otherwise not have, even if we were a top ten academic institution.  For example, WashU in St. Louis is pretty close to a top ten school, but I'd bet 80%+ of America doesn't know it exists. 

Like GIMP said, a top ten hoops program allows us to raise our profile, tell our story, let the rest of the country know we're not in Michigan, and draw in more applicants.  So maybe we can have both.  Why not shoot to be a top 50 school?  I think that's the goal of the current administration.

I'm happy to do my part, helping out students applying at my company, wearing my alumni T just about everywhere and rocking the new logo MU luggage tag on my laptop bag.  Anything to get the word out and expand our profile.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2008, 07:40:36 PM »
Top 10 Hoops.

Hate to say it, but I remember seeing my classmates studying on Marquette basketball days...
SS Marquette

SCdem@MU

• Team Captain
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2008, 06:53:10 PM »
Hoops.

It would be great for MU to be a top 10 academic institution, but that is never going to happen.  There's no way that the Ivies, NYU, U of Chicago (where fun goes to die, in the conservative tradition), MIT, et. al will be displaced at the top.  Way easier (and cheaper) to be really good at basketball.

I agree top 10 is never going to happen. I think it would be more realistic for Marquette to crack the top 50 and doing that would make me pretty happy.

feedback