[May 21, 2024, 11:51:36 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by DoctorV
[May 21, 2024, 11:33:38 PM]

Big East response to NCAA antitrust settlement by MUbiz
[May 21, 2024, 05:59:48 PM]

NIL Future by muwarrior69
[May 21, 2024, 11:39:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Poll

Would you rather MU be a perennial Top 10 Hoops program or a perennial Top 10 Academic Institution

Top 10 Hoops
Top 10 Academics

Author Topic: Top 10 Hoops or Top 10 Academics  (Read 10278 times)

Strokin 3s

• Team Captain
Top 10 Hoops or Top 10 Academics
« on: January 11, 2008, 11:18:16 AM »
Thought we could let the populous decide?

MU gimp ONE

• Team Captain
Re: Top 10 Hoops or Top 10 Academics
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 11:33:50 AM »
top 10 hoops will increase the academics...  more students applying means the more the university can be selective.  more revenue from the team, the better the facilities on campus (both athletic and academic).

i am happy with my education, however i would love to see a perennial top 10 program.
"You know, most people would kill... to be treated like a god, just for a few moments." - Coach Norman Dale

Tribby

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 11:39:50 AM »
top 10 hoops will increase the academics...  more students applying means the more the university can be selective.  more revenue from the team, the better the facilities on campus (both athletic and academic).

i am happy with my education, however i would love to see a perennial top 10 program.
So what you're saying is you don't care about graduation rates of the players or player conduct or anything like that? It's all about the wins?

OK Bo Ryan ...

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 11:47:25 AM »
Getting a good education is great and all but I have to go hoops. 

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2008, 11:51:33 AM »
So what you're saying is you don't care about graduation rates of the players or player conduct or anything like that? It's all about the wins?

Being a top 10 acedemic school has nothing to do with player graduation rates.   I don't believe we are acedemicly a top 10 school currently yet we have one of the best player graduation rates in the nation.  39 of 41 under Crean I believe with one becoming pretty succesful without his degree.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2008, 11:55:16 AM »

OK Bo Ryan ...

How the hell did you derive that? Bo Ryan has a better than average graduation rate. Try Bob Huggins instead for a better reference. In case you didn't know he had a near 0% graduation rate at Cincinnati. He now coaches for West Virgina, you may have missed that while studying and all.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 12:03:55 PM by marqptm »

Tribby

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2008, 12:00:43 PM »

OK Bo Ryan ...

How the hell did you derive that? Bo Ryan has a better than average graduation rate. Try Bob Huggins instead for a better reference. In case you didn't know he had a near 0% graduation rate at Cincinnati. He know coaches for West Virgina, you may have missed that while studying and all.
Hey, what's the difference? Since you think academics are less important than wins, why do you care what Ryan's and Huggins' graduation rates are? They win games, don't they? And in the end, that's what's most important, apparently.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2008, 12:06:12 PM »
You're making quite the jump there buddy. Many programs can win while graduating players.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2008, 12:07:58 PM »
Hey buddy.  Do you keep reading over this post below?  

I fully believe having a better basketball team will increase academics rather than having a bad basketball team.  It's all about being recognized nationally and what does that?  Men's basketball.

More people see Marquette on tv, more people apply, more select students accepted.

More people see Marquette on tv, more revenue.  

The GIMP one is dead on.

Tribby

• Starter
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2008, 12:08:26 PM »
You're making quite the jump there buddy. Many programs can win while graduating players.
Absolutely. But correct me if I'm wrong, you're saying you'd rather have a national championship with a 0% graduation rate than a mediocre team with a 100% graduation rate. Am I wrong? If so, then I apologize. If not, then I'm saying you've lost your perspective.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2008, 12:10:41 PM »
When you say top 10 academicly do you mean just the team or the school as a whole?

larrym

• Starter
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2008, 12:12:36 PM »

OK Bo Ryan ...

How the hell did you derive that? Bo Ryan has a better than average graduation rate. Try Bob Huggins instead for a better reference. In case you didn't know he had a near 0% graduation rate at Cincinnati. He know coaches for West Virgina, you may have missed that while studying and all.
Hey, what's the difference? Since you think academics are less important than wins, why do you care what Ryan's and Huggins' graduation rates are? They win games, don't they? And in the end, that's what's most important, apparently.

The original question has nothing to do with team graduation rates.  It asks if you would rather MU be top ten hoops, or top ten in US News And World Report.  Count me for hoops. 

🏀

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2008, 12:14:57 PM »
Absolutely. But correct me if I'm wrong, you're saying you'd rather have a national championship with a 0% graduation rate than a mediocre team with a 100% graduation rate. Am I wrong? If so, then I apologize. If not, then I'm saying you've lost your perspective.

Do you get life? At all? Not a single poster has brought up graduation rates, except for you.

Tell me how a Top 10 University Ranking has anything to do with graduation rates. Then think about how it has no apparent effect, and then leave the thread.

However, you can continue to think that a Top 10 basketball program automatically makes the graduation rates terrible, and the university terrible. That's fine, go write about it in the Tribune then, it'll fit better with the nonsense in there.

Tribby

• Starter
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2008, 12:21:19 PM »

Do you get life? At all? Not a single poster has brought up graduation rates, except for you.

Tell me how a Top 10 University Ranking has anything to do with graduation rates. Then think about how it has no apparent effect, and then leave the thread.

However, you can continue to think that a Top 10 basketball program automatically makes the graduation rates terrible, and the university terrible. That's fine, go write about it in the Tribune then, it'll fit better with the nonsense in there.
I apologize for your failure to extrapolate concepts. Not sure why we're still debating this, since we both know where the other stands.

We both like academics and basketball. However, forced to prioritize them, you believe basketball is more important than academics. I believe academics is more important than basketball. I believe you have a poor perspective on life. You believe I don't "get life." Agreed?

🏀

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2008, 12:24:28 PM »
Good to see you quit trying to connect graduation rates at least.

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2008, 12:37:26 PM »
I wish we could all have the perspective of a Tribby. A more noble poster does not exist on this board.

I mean, lecturing posters on a basketball message board (the day before a big game, mind you) about the importance of academics...does it get any better than that?

Tribby was raised correctly and I'm sure is an absolute gem of a guy.

mwbauer7

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2008, 12:45:44 PM »
I am extremely proud of Marquette University. I'd much rather hear "Wow, thats a great school." Than "Wow, they've got a great basketball team"

That being said, 2 things:
-I'd love for both.
-There is a certain level of relationship that exists between having a sports team be well known and drawing a larger pool of applicants to select from.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2008, 12:48:22 PM »
I love MU hoops, but the opportunity to be one of those smarmy d-bags that brags that the college they went to in the US World and Report would be to great.

Plus, I would never have to hear again, "Oh, I have heard Marquette, that's in Michigan right?"

mwbauer7

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2008, 12:49:29 PM »
Plus, I would never have to hear again, "Oh, I have heard Marquette, that's in Michigan right?"

I feel your pain. Unfortunately I don't think that would help...

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2008, 12:56:03 PM »
So I still don't know if we are talking team graduation rates or not but if we are Crean has proven he can graduate his players and be a ranked team so how about I just settle for that?

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2008, 02:12:37 PM »
I am extremely proud of Marquette University. I'd much rather hear "Wow, thats a great school." Than "Wow, they've got a great basketball team"

Yup.

Cooby Snacks

• Team Captain
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2008, 02:59:28 PM »
Hoops.

It would be great for MU to be a top 10 academic institution, but that is never going to happen.  There's no way that the Ivies, NYU, U of Chicago (where fun goes to die, in the conservative tradition), MIT, et. al will be displaced at the top.  Way easier (and cheaper) to be really good at basketball.

larrym

• Starter
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2008, 03:06:13 PM »

Yup.

I would agree with that too.  I frequently hear both of those now.  However if we could be a Top 10 in only one of them, I would prefer basketball.  A big part of that is that, as Herm Edwards says, the basketball team plays to win the game.  So if they're in the top ten, they're accomplishing their task.  (Assuming they're doing it the right way.)  The school itself is in the business to educate students, not to chase the top spot on multiple somewhat arbitrary school rank lists.  If they do a good job they will be ranked well in those rankings, but for the everyday undergrads and alumni there's not much difference between 10 and 50.  There's a pretty big difference between 10 and 50 in basketball.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 03:09:25 PM by larrym »

Tribby

• Starter
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2008, 03:19:36 PM »

Yup.

I would agree with that too.  I frequently hear both of those now.  However if we could be a Top 10 in only one of them, I would prefer basketball.  A big part of that is that, as Herm Edwards says, the basketball team plays to win the game.  So if they're in the top ten, they're accomplishing their task.  (Assuming they're doing it the right way.)  The school itself is in the business to educate students, not to chase the top spot on multiple somewhat arbitrary school rank lists.  If they do a good job they will be ranked well in those rankings, but for the everyday undergrads and alumni there's not much difference between 10 and 50.  There's a pretty big difference between 10 and 50 in basketball.

I get what you're saying, and I guess I don't necessarily disagree. Rankings and grad rates are just numbers (although both at least give you some idea where you stand, even if they're imperfect measures), but what's important is that MU provides a quality education. As long as one agrees that academics are more important than basketball, I don't have a beef ...

marquette09

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2008, 05:26:38 PM »
both