[May 21, 2024, 11:51:36 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by DoctorV
[May 21, 2024, 11:33:38 PM]

Big East response to NCAA antitrust settlement by MUbiz
[May 21, 2024, 05:59:48 PM]

NIL Future by muwarrior69
[May 21, 2024, 11:39:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Tour de France probably decided tomorrow  (Read 3082 times)

Blackhat

• All American
Tour de France probably decided tomorrow
« on: July 21, 2010, 09:29:34 PM »
Contador and Schleck.

mugrad2006

• Team Captain
Re: Tour de France probably decided tomorrow
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 10:09:02 PM »
Not sure how many cycling fans are on this board, but it's been an absolutely fantastic Tour to watch this year.  No shortage of exciting stages, a solid GC battle, and strong individual stage performances with breakaway wins.

Can't wait to get home from work tomorrow and watch Schleck attack Contador on the Tourmalet.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 10:51:23 PM »
How many people really believe Lance hasn't been doping all these years?

mugrad2006

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 11:13:11 PM »
How many people really believe Lance hasn't been doping all these years?

Boy, didn't take long for a non-cycling fan to jump onto this thread and talk about a topic that's really a non story in this years Tour considering Armstrong's not even in contention for the GC.

This sort of expected response is the reason I didn't start a thread earlier on the TdF...

TomW1365

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 11:18:14 PM »
k
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 11:45:56 PM by TomW1365 »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 11:31:40 PM »
Boy, didn't take long for a non-cycling fan to jump onto this thread and talk about a topic that's really a non story in this years Tour considering Armstrong's not even in contention for the GC.

This sort of expected response is the reason I didn't start a thread earlier on the TdF...

Who said I was a non-cycling fan?  I actually enjoy it quite a lot...have done some riding myself.  That being said, the drama and the shenanigans have really taken it's toll on the sport which is a shame.  Including the latest claim that some bikes have motors in them, which the governing bodies have had to start testing for.

I hope he didn't cheat, but much like baseball, it's hard to find someone that didn't.  Every time we thought there was "no way that guy did it", he sure enough did.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2010, 11:33:33 PM »
Just as long as no one calls it the France Tour.

mugrad2006

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2010, 11:50:35 PM »
Anybody watching the race have any bets on how much time Schleck might need to beat Contador?  Most of the talking heads have said it's 1 to 1 1/2 minutes, but I'm thinking it might be closer to 2 unless Schleck has improved his time trialing significantly since last year.  In the '09 Tour he was 1' 45" behind Contador in the final time trial.  Given this year's pancake flat TT course, I just have a hard time seeing Andy get the time he needs to wear the yellow in Paris.  He has stated that he's going to make a run for it, even he blows up in the mountains.  Nice to see a guy have the guts to go for glory even if it costs him a podium finish.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2010, 12:25:49 AM »
Just as long as no one calls it the France Tour.

God forbid.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2010, 06:19:12 AM »
Anybody watching the race have any bets on how much time Schleck might need to beat Contador?  Most of the talking heads have said it's 1 to 1 1/2 minutes, but I'm thinking it might be closer to 2 unless Schleck has improved his time trialing significantly since last year.  In the '09 Tour he was 1' 45" behind Contador in the final time trial.  Given this year's pancake flat TT course, I just have a hard time seeing Andy get the time he needs to wear the yellow in Paris.  He has stated that he's going to make a run for it, even he blows up in the mountains.  Nice to see a guy have the guts to go for glory even if it costs him a podium finish.

I wish I could talk tour with you but I'm a newbie.   I plan on watching today but all I know is Schleck needs to put some distance between himself and Contador in this last mountain stage.  Frankly I hope Schleck does it.  

I'm a long distance runner but I just got a new (modest) road bike and bike shorts, the works and I've got to tell you I've been enjoying biking the last couple weeks.   Still have A TON to learn about the nuances of biking, turning efficiently, revolutions per minute that work for me, etc.   It gives you an appreciation for what these guys are doing on tv.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 06:26:30 AM by Stone Cold »

mugrad2006

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2010, 07:30:45 AM »
Glad to hear you're on the bike.  Just beware that it turns into a healthy (but expensive!) addiction fairly quickly.

If you're interested in understanding the Tour, cycling racing and strategy a little better, check out the Velonews website.  They provide a lot more color to what's actually happening in the race than you get from watching on VS.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2010, 10:55:09 AM »
Stupid noob question alert!!!!

So Contador extended his lead yesterday to 39 seconds, and apparently that is INSURMOUNTABLE, and dude gets to ride 60 some miles to Paris drinking champagne.  Now my dumb question, 39 seconds seems like nothing in a stretch of 60 some miles, why doesn't Schleck go out and try to make that up?  Once again, mostly a stupid question from an uninformed jackass, but humor me.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2010, 12:31:01 PM »
Stupid noob question alert!!!!

So Contador extended his lead yesterday to 39 seconds, and apparently that is INSURMOUNTABLE, and dude gets to ride 60 some miles to Paris drinking champagne.  Now my dumb question, 39 seconds seems like nothing in a stretch of 60 some miles, why doesn't Schleck go out and try to make that up?  Once again, mostly a stupid question from an uninformed jackass, but humor me.

On flat surface in a regular race, 39 seconds is an insurmountable lead.  That is why the last event is largely ceremonial.

When Greg Lemond won in 1989, the last stage was an individual time trial and he made up a 50 second lead.  But when you have teams to protect the leader and take turns doing the heavy lifting, you can't make a lead like that. 

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2010, 09:23:33 AM »
I hope he didn't cheat, but much like baseball, it's hard to find someone that didn't.  Every time we thought there was "no way that guy did it", he sure enough did.

I am a proud non-cycling fan, and I have known for years what a complete fraud Lance Armstrong is/was.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2010, 09:26:23 AM »
I am a proud non-cycling fan, and I have known for years what a complete fraud Lance Armstrong is/was.

feedback