[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:22:34 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by mugrad_89
[May 03, 2024, 01:20:27 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Buzz around Michigan is Tom Crean  (Read 7043 times)

ecompt

• All American
Re: Buzz around Michigan is Tom Crean
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2007, 07:10:51 AM »
he's not going anywhere, for all the reasons everyone has listed here ad nauseum. And for anyone who think he is overpaid, check the revenues of the basketball team (ticket sales, jerseys, T-shirts, etc.) since he's arrived. He hasn't recruited height well, but if you don't think he means more to MU than Bo does at UW, you're crazy.

77fan88warrior

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2007, 07:39:40 AM »
Augoman

And that is part of the problem...some of these people helping to pay the bills feel like they get to make the coaching decisions.

A coach cannot, must not, be beholden to donors in that sense.  He should report to the AD and the President.  Period.  It is fantastic, noble, heart warming, etc that alums have helped to pay the salary (a salary which is needed to keep a coach at a place like MU unless you want a repeat of the previous 30 years) but they cannot be making the decisions behind the scenes.

That kind of crap is what drove KO out, drove Majerus out.  Enough.

I have no knowledge of what happened to Majerus, but I always felt he was nudged out. How many head coaches in college have left to become assistants in the NBA?

DAtruth

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2007, 08:48:26 AM »
mark few...gonzaga

DAtruth

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2007, 08:55:40 AM »
heres something i remember hearing...in the cbe tourney dickie v kept talkin about how "the general" loved dj..then during the pitt game he said that dj told "the general" if he were still at i.u. hed be wearing the red n white..if crean leaves and theres no chance in my opinion..bob knight to mu!!!...a little discipline would go along way for this team..and everyone loves bob knight right?  ;D

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2007, 08:59:45 AM »
mark few...gonzaga

he has better facilities, no pressure and makes a ton of $$ out west.  He was born in Oregon and never had a coaching job at any school other than Gonzaga.......he's stayin there as long as he wants, and given the facilities issues at Michigan (and his lack of familiarity with the midwest) I bet he's not considered by the UM brass.

77fan88warrior

• All American

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2007, 09:12:33 AM »

Warrior Forever

• Starter
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2007, 09:15:17 AM »

Living in Ann Arbor, I don't believe Crean is a good fit.  Michigan is above all a football school.  The basketball facilities (arena and practice) are as bad as it gets.

Also, I don't think Crean relishes completing in-state against Izzo.  Also, I don't think Michigan wants a long time Spartan at the helm.

I'm as disappointed as anyone about recent tournament performances, but let's see what Crean can do with this team over the next couple years.  He has definitely earned that.

I can't wait to see what this team does in '07-'08.

Go Warriors.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2007, 09:28:05 AM »
I think people need to keep in mind that Crean is in a pretty good spot and leaving MU isn't without its risks.

If he goes to another (potentially "better") job, and doesn't have the success that is expected, he will be run out of there within 5 years.

I'm sure he would still be able to find another job, but probably not something as good as MU.

MU isn't the end-all, be-all job, but Crean's situation is pretty sweet. He's definately calling a lot of the shots, and he has built enough of a reputation that he isn't going to get run out of town for a couple of 1st round exits in the tourney.

MU might not be the most attractive situation on paper, but when you look at the real life situation, Crean is in a pretty good spot. Not sure what else he could want.

DAtruth

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2007, 09:30:51 AM »
doesnt marquette have one of the largest basketball budgets in the nation...i belive as high as 5th?

ToddPacker

• Starter
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2007, 10:18:32 AM »
Todd, I'm agreed "some of the anti-crean types are unreal", but you are the one who needs to get a clue.  Crean hasn't reversed the trend of MU hoops, it was the 'McGuire era relics' that fired up and overpaid to get him here, overpaid to keep him here, overpaid to provide the kind of facilities and travel arrangements most coaches can only dream about, overpaid to provide 'jobs' for his in-laws, and continue to feed the furnace out of a desire to better the program.  without the 'McGuire era relics', basketball puppies like you would be watching Bob Dukiet at work.

You've got to be joking.  You tell me that I need to get a clue, yet provide no reason why - just because some people are footing the bill does not mean that the majority of the people from that era are not out of touch with today's game.  Bottom line, if we do not overpay TC, he will go to a more high profile gig.  Sorry, folks, it's not 1977 anymore.  MU is not one of the top jobs in the country.  TC has helped make it one of the better ones, but it is still a relatively small school in an urban area without a real campus feel to it.  I love MU, but I am not blind to its many faults and the difficulties that a coach must overcome to be successful.  For one, overcoming the completely unrealistic expectations of some of the "fans."

mosarsour

• All American
  • IV
Re: I Can Give You...
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2007, 10:19:17 AM »
1.7 million reasons why Crean will choose not to go anywhere.

And 10 years of job security as well.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2007, 11:50:30 AM »
doesnt marquette have one of the largest basketball budgets in the nation...i belive as high as 5th?

No.  That number comes from an article that had no factual basis.  Private institutions like MU do not have to release that information, so the writers just guessed.  Its actually much lower.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2007, 07:13:20 PM »
(Anyone know for sure that "big donors" are paying Crean's salary?  It always struck me as an urban legend repeated so often, it became an internet truth.  Anyone know for sure?)

TVDirector

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2007, 08:34:40 PM »
Lon K to Michigan.
knows the bigten.
stock high b/c unlv run.