Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Royce White  (Read 16157 times)

ATWizJr

• All American
Royce White
« on: February 01, 2010, 11:17:52 PM »
is leaving Minny.  6'8" 249.  Former Mr. BB in MN.  Do we want to recruit him? Never played a minute due to non-BB problems.  Could be a beast.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
Re: Royce White
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 11:22:37 PM »
Hummm 6'-8", 250 lbs, from Minnesota? 

Wareagle

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 11:23:05 PM »
is leaving Minny.  6'8" 249.  Former Mr. BB in MN.  Do we want to recruit him? Never played a minute due to non-BB problems.  Could be a beast.
I have no doubt Buzz would watch this before deciding either way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5K9v6cgKME

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 11:27:23 PM »

Not the first time Royce has said he's leaving.  He was upset the prosecutor told him and his attorney to get bent at the courthouse this morning.  We'll see what happens this week.. probably will be gone soon if not now, but it's not official as of yet.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 11:57:50 PM »
Where Royce White goes, trouble follows.  Stay far far away.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2010, 12:28:35 AM »

Not a chance in a million years.   TROUBLE GALORE

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2010, 02:39:26 AM »
Looks like Amo, oops, at 2:30 am, mind not functioning.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 03:05:52 AM by NCMUFan »

BuzzSucksSucks

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2010, 06:34:44 AM »
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 06:37:05 AM by MOwarrior »

CAINMUTINY

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2010, 07:20:12 AM »
If he is trouble, aren't we the perfect type of institution to give him redemption?

Should we overlook him due to his past indiscretions it would make Marquette or any christian based institution look like hypocrites.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2010, 07:27:21 AM »
If he is trouble, aren't we the perfect type of institution to give him redemption?

Should we overlook him due to his past indiscretions it would make Marquette or any christian based institution look like hypocrites.

Teal?
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2010, 08:02:15 AM »
He is REALLY good.

He is very strong and would fit nicely as a "big man" for Buzz.

He's versatile, quick, and can jump.

BUT, I think it's too risky.

Certainly he could come in and be a model citizen... but given the drama around Clark, Maymon (and even Acker's deal), I don't think MU is in a great spot to take another risk.

It would be a huge PR risk... and if the kid failed or transferred... it would be a big black eye for MU, and re-start the fires about Clark and Maymon.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2010, 08:08:26 AM »

Yes, and I'm sure MU would do this with every person like him.  The fact that he plays basketball is a mere coincidence.

MUCrew

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2010, 08:13:10 AM »
He is REALLY good.

He is very strong and would fit nicely as a "big man" for Buzz.

He's versatile, quick, and can jump.

BUT, I think it's too risky.

Certainly he could come in and be a model citizen... but given the drama around Clark, Maymon (and even Acker's deal), I don't think MU is in a great spot to take another risk.

It would be a huge PR risk... and if the kid failed or transferred... it would be a big black eye for MU, and re-start the fires about Clark and Maymon.

Couldn't agree more.  As a player, he would be the type to salivate over....especially at MU considering the lack of depth at the 'big' position.  BUT based on what he looks for in a recruit, Buzz wants to take on quality players with quality character.  I'm pretty positive that White doesn't fit the bill.

Isn't that place called a correctional facility and not a jesuit institution?  Look, I'm all about second chances and that there is good in everyone, but what White needs is some help only a state could provide. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2010, 08:19:08 AM »
Buzz said on his show last night he wants good character guys, guys who put the program first.     Guys who take care of business and come to work hard every day.   He has no room for people who are soft or selfish.    So, exactly what problem does Royce White solve?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

mviale

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2010, 08:54:20 AM »
Trust Buzz to make these decisions.
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

CAINMUTINY

• Team Captain
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2010, 08:57:23 AM »
He's a young dumb kid who made a mistake.  To say he deserves to be in jail is ridiculous (now this is under the assumption he has only gotten arrested for theft).  If a university's core mission is tied with christian ideals then I see no reason not to reach out to the kid if he's remorseful; especially if the kid can ball.

Question:  If this was John Wall (or how about Allen Iverson? who was pardoned for a felony conviction), would be even having this debate?

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2010, 09:00:54 AM »
Question:  If this was John Wall (or how about Allen Iverson? who was pardoned for a felony conviction), would be even having this debate?

Yes, definitely.  Why put the rest of our players into a situation with a perennial eff up just because he can ball a little?  Keep our academic standards high and our moral standards higher.  Let the Memphis' of the world take kids like these.

Wareagle

• Team Captain
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2010, 09:01:54 AM »
In the last 3 years Royce White has been

Suspended for 2 games by the private high school he attended during the beginning of his Jr. season.
Been expelled from the same school for academic misconduct.
Been caught stealing $100 worth of clothing from Macy's at the Mall of America.
Pushed the security guard pursuing him to the ground.
Charged with misdemeanor trespassing when one of his buddies stole a laptop from a dorm room.

At this point, I think his actions establish a pattern of horrible decisions that are not isolated incidents.  Combine that with his crazy Youtube video and I can't imagine Buzz sticking his neck out for a guy who has been given many chances to shape up and hasn't.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2010, 09:02:00 AM »
The day we took Allen Iverson would be the day I stopped following Marquette basketball.

MUCrew

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2010, 09:07:33 AM »
He's a young dumb kid who made a mistake.  To say he deserves to be in jail is ridiculous (now this is under the assumption he has only gotten arrested for theft).  If a university's core mission is tied with christian ideals then I see no reason not to reach out to the kid if he's remorseful; especially if the kid can ball.

Question:  If this was John Wall (or how about Allen Iverson? who was pardoned for a felony conviction), would be even having this debate?

I'll bite too.  Yes he's a dumb kid who made a mistake, but if I were in Buzz's position, I wouldn't want to take on such a chance just so the program can win.  There are bigger things than just basketball ability that the university takes into account.  If you truly want Royce White to don the Marquette uniform considering his past, then you might as well fire Buzz and do everything you can to get Calipari. 

Again, there should be MORE than just seeing if a kid can play basketball when admitting him as a student-first athlete to Marquette University.  White needs help and guidance, but I don't know/think that Marquette alone can help him with that.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2010, 09:12:29 AM »

You really do lose the high ground when you include the phrase "especially if the kid can ball."

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2010, 09:16:19 AM »
Sounds like he's well on his way to becoming a professional criminal rather than a professional basketball player. 

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2010, 09:18:00 AM »

I absolutely think he deserves a second chance. If his grades are good enough, MU should definitely accept him as a student as every kid deserves a second chance (it is a christian thing to do)

BUT...

MU doesn't have to offer him a 30K per year scholarship. I think the ship has sailed for Royce on that one.

Accept him as a student? Sure.

Offer him a full ride? Nope.

AlumKCof93

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2010, 09:20:48 AM »
Yes, definitely.  Why put the rest of our players into a situation with a perennial eff up just because he can ball a little?  Keep our academic standards high and our moral standards higher.  Let the Memphis' of the world take kids like these.

+1
"Yes, Dinnertime!  The perfect break between work and drunk" - Homer J. Simpson

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2010, 09:25:08 AM »
In the last 3 years Royce White has been

Suspended for 2 games by the private high school he attended during the beginning of his Jr. season.
Been expelled from the same school for academic misconduct.
Been caught stealing $100 worth of clothing from Macy's at the Mall of America.
Pushed the security guard pursuing him to the ground.
Charged with misdemeanor trespassing when one of his buddies stole a laptop from a dorm room.

At this point, I think his actions establish a pattern of horrible decisions that are not isolated incidents.  Combine that with his crazy Youtube video and I can't imagine Buzz sticking his neck out for a guy who has been given many chances to shape up and hasn't.

Not to mention being booted from his dorm.  And I heard he didn't have his dog neutered!

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2010, 09:26:01 AM »

A definite NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

tower912

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2010, 09:26:08 AM »
After being blind-sided by Clark and JMay, I cannot imagine a scenario where Buzz knowingly recruits a player with a known 'me-first' attitude.    This summarily excludes Royce White.  
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Moe

• Walk-On
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2010, 09:36:09 AM »
White has said he is done with college ball.  He thinks he can be a pro and up here (Twin Cities) most people are saying that he will be signing an agent and playing in Europe so he can get a shot at the NBA.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2010, 09:36:59 AM »
He's a young dumb kid who has made  mistake after mistake after mistake and doesn't learn from them.  He continually puts his own interests above his teammmates and his school.

Fixed for you

CAINMUTINY

• Team Captain
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2010, 09:52:00 AM »
Everyone,

I stand corrected.  Let's take Minnesota off our radar all together; their players are nothing but trouble :)

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2010, 10:55:53 AM »
I admittedly don't know much about the situation.  It's obvious he's not squeaky clean, but from what I've heard his transgressions don't approach that of a hardened criminal.  Shoplifting, pushing a security guard, being party to a theft (sounds an awful lot like the Glover situation at UW), getting kicked out of a dorm, being suspended and expelled in high school.  Yes, there is a pattern but nothing of a violent nature. 

I have friends that have done all of those in their youth and are now positive, contributing members of society.  Let's not start sounding like Badger fans and start calling the kid a psychopath, bi-polar, or schitzophrenic.  To do so would be making quite a leap from a series of misdemeanors.

I don't know if Buzz is looking at him, but if he feels he can coach the kid and help him grow as a person, that is good enough for me.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 10:59:00 AM by 94Warrior »

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2010, 10:58:15 AM »
A frontcourt of Clark, Mbakwe, and White would be cool.  But, they may have difficulty running up and down the court with a ball and chain around their ankles.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2010, 11:01:01 AM »
I admittedly don't know much about the situation.  It's obvious he's not squeaky clean, but from what I've heard his transgressions don't approach that of a hardened criminal.  Shoplifting, pushing a security guard, being party to a theft (sounds an awful lot like the Glover situation at UW), getting kicked out of a dorm, being suspended and expelled in high school.  Yes, there is a pattern but nothing of a violent nature. 

I have friends that have done all of those in their youth and are now positive, contributing members of society.  Let's not start sounding like Badger fans and start calling the kid a psychopath, bi-polar, or schitzophrenic.  To do so would be making quite a leap from a series of misdemeanors.

No one is saying that he can't become a positive, contributing member of society.  That doesn't mean that he should be granted the privilege of a basketball scholarship however.

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2010, 11:01:35 AM »
A frontcourt of Clark, Mbakwe, and White would be cool.  But, they may have difficulty running up and down the court with a ball and chain around their ankles.

Clark admittedly raped a woman and Mbakwe allegedly assaulted a woman.  I don't lump having a bad attitude as a minor and shoplifting in the same category.

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2010, 11:11:44 AM »

No one is saying that he can't become a positive, contributing member of society.  That doesn't mean that he should be granted the privilege of a basketball scholarship however.

Should D-Wade have been granted a basketball scholarship based on academic success in HS?  Should Nick Davis have been allowed to retain his UW football scholarship after shoplifting a TV from Best Buy?

These guys get athletic scholarships because of what they do on the court or field.  Character and maturity are important, as well.  But, people turn their lives around all the time (especially at 18yrs old).  Are we dealing with a lost cause here?

LON

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2010, 11:15:09 AM »
Not to mention being booted from his dorm.  And I heard he didn't have his dog neutered!

And he leaves the seat up.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2010, 11:19:50 AM »
Should D-Wade have been granted a basketball scholarship based on academic success in HS?  Should Nick Davis have been allowed to retain his UW football scholarship after shoplifting a TV from Best Buy?

Was Wade kicked out his high school?  Was Wade arrested for a crime?  No.

As far as Nick Davis goes, I would have dropped him.

Wareagle

• Team Captain
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2010, 11:30:49 AM »

These guys get athletic scholarships because of what they do on the court or field.  Character and maturity are important, as well.  But, people turn their lives around all the time (especially at 18yrs old).  Are we dealing with a lost cause here?
D-Wade didn't cheat. 

Nick Davis didn't go to school here. 

macman320

• Starter
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2010, 11:46:30 AM »
From the school's newspaper: http://www.mndaily.com/2010/02/01/no-resolution-after-hearing-white-again-says-he%E2%80%99s-leaving-u

"According to the criminal complaint filed by the Minneapolis City Attorney’s Office, White was in Territorial Hall the night of the laptop theft and entered multiple rooms uninvited. One witness told University police that White came into her room and said, “Hey, I’m Royce. Do you know who I am?”

The witness said White left her room after she asked him to leave. Other witnesses told police similar stories."

He has a troubled past for sure, but this latest incident is pretty similar to any freshman walking into rooms to meet people. He wasn't in empty rooms. He left when asked. I'm not defending his earlier incidents, just this most recent one. He should just go far away where he gets a new chance. Further away than WI

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2010, 12:06:38 PM »
D-Wade didn't cheat.  

Nick Davis didn't go to school here.  

Fair enough.  I'm just trying to find out where the line is drawn.

Poor HS student (Wade) = Ok.
Felon (Nick Davis) = Bad.
2 Misdemeanors = ??
Suspended, Expelled, kicked out of dorm, but still a full-qualifier = ??? 
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 01:53:19 PM by 94Warrior »

Wareagle

• Team Captain
« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2010, 12:15:42 PM »
Fair enough.  I'm just trying to find out where the line is drawn.

Poor HS student (Wade) = Ok.
Felon (Nick Davis) = Bad.
2 Misdemeanors = ??
Suspended, Expelled, kicked out of dorm, but still a full-qualifier = ??? 
The way I look at it, Royce has burned his former high school and Tubby Smith twice, after receiving a second chance from both.  To me, that is a sign of a person who does not respect the risk that people were taking on him by giving him that chance.  For that reason I don't think he should get another chance here.

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2010, 12:19:21 PM »

...and REAL hard to shoot in handcuffs.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2010, 12:31:10 PM »
Sorry if this was posted before, on phone...but what's not metioned is the fact that he was caught shoplifting a week prior at the mall of america.  When caught a gaurd approached him and he threw him to the ground.  He got that case tossed out, but then broke into a dorm room a week later!

Guy is a major problem, rumor here in MINUTE has him going to europe...but that's a big rumor.

MUrugger

• Starter
« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2010, 12:37:38 PM »
And just to clarify an earlier post, that's a $40,000 scholarship we should not be offering him.  Just got the notice of the bump and the bill for my precious little senior-to-be next year. :-*

Moe

• Walk-On
« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2010, 12:53:01 PM »
Sorry if this was posted before, on phone...but what's not metioned is the fact that he was caught shoplifting a week prior at the mall of america.  When caught a gaurd approached him and he threw him to the ground.  He got that case tossed out, but then broke into a dorm room a week later!

Guy is a major problem, rumor here in MINUTE has him going to europe...but that's a big rumor.

I love how when you type MN on a blackberry that it automatically changes it to MINUTE.  You need to hit backspace once to change it back.

mosarsour

• All American
  • IV
« Reply #45 on: February 02, 2010, 01:13:07 PM »

Bob Barker would be outraged!

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2010, 01:55:54 PM »
The way I look at it, Royce has burned his former high school and Tubby Smith twice, after receiving a second chance from both.  To me, that is a sign of a person who does not respect the risk that people were taking on him by giving him that chance.  For that reason I don't think he should get another chance here.

I agree, probably take a pass on this one.  It's hard to do when he might be the missing piece to a Big East Championship and another Final Four run.

Concessions are made for most athletes, it just boils down to how big a concession you want to make.
I just think it's too early to label White as the second coming of Charles Manson.

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #47 on: February 02, 2010, 02:37:16 PM »
And, I didn't mean to say anyone here was comparing him to Charles Manson, you weren't.  I just didn't want for us pile on a kid like the rodents do over on their site.  

This kid has made several bad decisions, but none warrant jail time.  It wouldn't be too late for him to pull his life together if he were to be placed in the right situation.  If Buzz thought that situation was at MU, I'd be willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #48 on: February 02, 2010, 02:41:48 PM »
And, I didn't mean to say anyone here was comparing him to Charles Manson, you weren't.  I just didn't want for us pile on a kid like the rodents do over on their site. 

This kid has made several bad decisions, but none warrant jail time.  It wouldn't be too late for him to pull his life together if he were to be placed in the right situation.  If Buzz thought that situation was at MU, I'd be willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

If I stole from a store and then assaulted a security guard I would fully expect to end up in jail.

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #49 on: February 02, 2010, 02:51:47 PM »
If I stole from a store and then assaulted a security guard I would fully expect to end up in jail.

Stealing $100 worth of merchandise is one pair of jeans.  A misdemeanor.  Does a push or a shove constitute assault?  Probably, but in the world we live in that is pleaded down to resisting arrest or dropped altogether.  In 2010, this type of thing doesn't land you in jail.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #50 on: February 02, 2010, 03:00:36 PM »
Stealing $100 worth of merchandise is one pair of jeans.  A misdemeanor.  Does a push or a shove constitute assault?  Probably, but in the world we live in that is pleaded down to resisting arrest or dropped altogether.  In 2010, this type of thing doesn't land you in jail.

True, and hopefully it doesn't land you a basketball scholarship at Marquette, either.

I'm not claiming that White is a terrible kid (and certainly not comparing him to Manson), but there are many solid kids out there who work very hard and stay out of trouble.  I'd certainly rather have those kids represent Marquette.  Give those kids a first chance before worrying about giving some other kids a second (third?  fourth?) chance.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #51 on: February 02, 2010, 03:11:45 PM »
True, and hopefully it doesn't land you a basketball scholarship at Marquette, either.

I'm not claiming that White is a terrible kid (and certainly not comparing him to Manson), but there are many solid kids out there who work very hard and stay out of trouble.  I'd certainly rather have those kids represent Marquette.  Give those kids a first chance before worrying about giving some other kids a second (third?  fourth?) chance.

This.

Royce might be a nice kid who has made some poor choices.

That doesn't mean his life is over, but it also doesn't mean he needs to be handed a free education.

I'm sure if he wants to play D1 ball, there will be a team out there that will take him.

I don't think MU can take that risk right now.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #52 on: February 03, 2010, 03:11:15 PM »
Looks like Royce will not be transferring.  Royce says he's "putting his basketball goals on hold to focus on clearing his name and furthering his business ventures, which include a club promotion and music production company."

http://www.twincities.com/ci_14326106

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #53 on: February 03, 2010, 03:51:32 PM »
Looks like Royce will not be transferring.  Royce says he's "putting his basketball goals on hold to focus on clearing his name and furthering his business ventures, which include a club promotion and music production company."

wow.  If this is true, he is an idiot.  Why does every basketball player think they need a club and/or a music production company.  They are generally HORRIBLE investments.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #54 on: February 03, 2010, 04:57:52 PM »
It's official.  The U has granted him his release...

"We are deeply saddened by the entire chain of events involving Royce White this season at the University of Minnesota," said Minnesota head basketball coach Tubby Smith. "However, we feel like he will always be a member of the Minnesota basketball family and want what is best for him and his immediate family. We wish him the best of luck."

I don't think many 'feel like he will always be a member of the Minnesota basketball family'. 

LON

• All American
« Reply #55 on: February 03, 2010, 05:16:26 PM »

Club promotion = dude in suit working the door with a bluetooth in his ear.  I think he may have a clipboard as well.

feedback